PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the middle of a Ben Affleck movie marathon mood.

2-1B
02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
I watched Armageddon last night for the first time in awhile. I love that movie, it's a lot of fun. Owen Wilson definitely gets the best lines but there are several good one liners to go around much of the cast. I liked Affleck as AJ in this one, whether he is (spoiler) coming to the rescue in the Armadillo or especially when he mans up with the shortest straw and is prepared to stay behind on the meteor even though Harry Stamper saves him by sending him back to the shuttle. :cry:

Last week I saw Smokin' Aces and Affleck was great in that one, he wasn't in it much but I liked his performance.

I like him in the View Askew movies (Dogma being my least favorite but he's still pretty good in it) so I could watch those all the time. Jersey Girl, too, he was very good in that one and I might watch it tonight if I can't think of something else of his to watch.

Surviving Christmas was pretty disappointing at the box office but I went to see it for Gandolfini and...it was okay. I saw it a few more times on HBO last summer (odd?) and I didn't hate it. I liked Affleck's chemistry with Applegate.

Paycheck and Gigli were decent in a guilty pleasure sort of way but I have only seen them once in the theater and don't have the DVDs here.

Daredevil was awesome, I have that one and will be bumping that up on the list to go with Jersey Girl soon enough.

Sum of all Fears was okay IIRC, I saw it once in the theater but I'm not in a hurry to check it out again. I haven't seen Hollywoodland yet but I bet he's weird as George Reeves...it looks pretty good.

I've never seen Changing Lanes, Bounce, Forces of Nature, or Reindeer Games...are any of these worthwhile?

Pearl Harbor is not a picture I've seen in its entirety and I really have no interest in that one. Ditto Shakespeare in Love.

I liked Good Will Hunting, not as much as some folks but it was decent. Very cool that Ben won an Oscar for that one with Matt Damon.

He played a real jerk in Dazed & Confused so I didn't really like his character in that one. Good movie, though! I saw School Ties a long time ago and don't even remember him in it. Phantoms was cheesy but it's immortalized by Jay's classic line from Strike Back. lol

I'm probably going to rewatch Jersey Girl and Daredevil soon but I'm also looking to catch up on some of his that I have missed over the years...also I think he was hilarious in Project Greenlight Seasons 1 and 2 ! Unfortunately I didn't catch Season 3 because it moved from HBO to Bravo which I didn't get at the time. Now I do get Bravo, but it's too late for that and I'm hoping they get it out on DVD sometime soon? :(

What's your favorite Ben Affleck vehicle, what do you recommend?

LTBasker
02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
[AFFLECK]Owen Wilson definitely gets the best lines but there are several good one liners to go around much of the cast.

Yeah, like all the cast - the script was just one liners. :p But that's different discussion...

Anyways, some people are pretty rabid towards Affleck but I don't mind him, he's done some pretty nice acting.

Can't really think of all his movies that I've seen right now but I do recommend that if you watch DareDevil you make it the Director's Cut. It was much better. :D

2-1B
02-19-2007, 05:19 PM
That's what I hear! Unfortunately I have not seen that one, I just have the theatrical DVD...I still like that version, though. :)

I'll have to get the DC on Netflix.

Slicker
02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I would have to suggest Changing Lanes. I think it's a short movie so it won't take up too much time if it sucks and besides, it's got SLJ in it.:thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-19-2007, 05:42 PM
He played a real jerk in Dazed & Confused so I didn't really like his character in that one.

ala Mallrats?

I guess my favorites with Affleck starring would be Jersey Girl and Armageddon. I haven't seen Good Will Hunting in forever, probably time I revisit that one actually.

Rocketboy
02-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Affleck movies are either really good or really bad. There is no inbetween, IMO.
I have Hollywoodland but haven't watched it yet.
The Askew flicks are always great.
Changing Lanes was awesome.
And I'll second the Daredevil Director's Cut if you get a chance.

And Armaggedon sucked. It was a chick flick disguised as an action movie.

2-1B
02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah, like all the cast - the script was just one liners. :p But that's different discussion...

Owen Wilson gets the best lines, I love that guy ! His Star Wars comments and the one about "so basically the worst thing imaginable, that's what you're saying" are my two favorites. But he has more. lol

He really steals the show in Meet the Parents, that guy killed me in his scenes. lol

I would have to suggest Changing Lanes. I think it's a short movie so it won't take up too much time if it sucks and besides, it's got SLJ in it.:thumbsup:

Exactly, just like Snakes on a Plane which I will have to queue up on Netflix soon. :thumbsup:

ala Mallrats?

Yes! I HATED him in that movie. :D

Oh please. :p Then I'm a chick disguised as a handsome internet poster. :whip:

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Caesar, you haven't seen Snakes on a Plane yet? Ok, here is what you do:

Put the Ben Affleck marathon on hold. Watch Snakes on a Plane immediately. Enjoy it. Revel in it. Live it.

After that, get back to life. :)

El Chuxter
02-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, where he plays two or three character and himself, is his greatest achievement.

JimJamBonds
02-19-2007, 11:50 PM

Ditto Pearl Harbor.

Jayspawn
03-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Caesar, I recommend Hollywoodland. It came out this last year and is Ben Affleck's best preformance to date. It should have been Oscar nominated -unfortunatly poor advertising made it less noticable.

Anyways, the movie is incredible! I bought it without a 2nd thought.

Gause
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Hollywoodland???? Are you kidding me? Rate this movie in "what if they actually had a plot to base a movie on" theme. This is like The Perfect Storm, The Doors, Auto Focus, Pocahontas, Titanic, Black Hawk Down, the comming out Zodiac and all other movies that in the end have no real outcome or fact to base them on. I could sell my story to Time-Warner...I am born...Fill in with Leo, Brad, Matthew, George and then I become middle age....fill in with Leo, Brad, Matthew and George. Ending plot line...I die but there are 3-999 reasons or doubts to how, when, why and who. THE END

Just sold 23,000 tickets at Cannes. Next...Millionaire

Thanks for buying a ticket,
Gause

Jayspawn
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
No I'm not kidding. You're the only one I know that didnt like it. You may be hard to please. But Hollywoodland was f'n awesome as was Afleck in it. :whip:

UKWildcat
04-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Whenever I see this thread title I think of the J. Peterman quote:

"I am smack dab in the middle of a good old fashioned cat fight."

lol

JimJamBonds
01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Affleck was the bomb in Phantom's yo!

sith_killer_99
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Affleck was the bomb in Phantom's yo!

His all time greatest work ever...ever!

How an Affleck film thread could exist for nearly 2 years without any mention of "Phantoms" is beyond me!:eek:

Peter O'Toole
Rose McGowan
Ben Affleck
Liev Schreiber

ALL STAR CAST!:thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
01-25-2010, 06:36 AM
How an Affleck film thread could exist for nearly 2 years without any mention of "Phantoms" is beyond me!:eek:

Why do you think I gave it a bump??? Certainly for no other reason. :rolleyes:

2-1B
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Caesar, I recommend Hollywoodland. It came out this last year and is Ben Affleck's best preformance to date. It should have been Oscar nominated -unfortunatly poor advertising made it less noticable.

Anyways, the movie is incredible! I bought it without a 2nd thought.

Thanks, I remember hearing about it but never saw it. It sure looked good, it's about Superman right?

In other Affleck news, I saw State of Play last year...Affleck as a politician, Russell Crowe as a crusty old-school muckraker, and Rachel McAdams as a new age muckracker...should have been epic but it felt a little flat at the end. Good cast, though. :)

Darth Jax
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
next time you sit down to watch buffy, so if you notice a certain ben on the basketball team

Darth Duranium
01-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Anyways, some people are pretty rabid towards Affleck...

I, for one, would give him rabies.

:ninja:

JimJamBonds
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks, I remember hearing about it but never saw it. It sure looked good, it's about Superman right?

It was the guy who was the first guy to play Superman... right?

El Chuxter
01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I believe there was a guy who pre-dated George Reeve in the role, back in the 1940s serials.

jonthejedi
01-27-2010, 04:32 PM
I just don't get the allure of BA...never liked anything I saw him in(haven't seen Hollywoodland)...and I thought he brought the Jack Ryan franchise to a grinding halt. Darn shame Matt Damon didn't get the role before he got Bourne. Oh well!