PDA

View Full Version : So I've decided to buy a Mac.

sith_killer_99
02-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, you heard me correctly. I have decided that I want to add a Mac to my high tech arsenal!

I know that it will be a laptop. I also know that it will be a little while before I buy it, I want to wait for the new OS (10.5) to hit first.

Anyway, I like the 13 inch MacBook, it's ultra portable. I can always hook up to an external monitor for home use.

Does anyone here have one of these little powerhouses? Are there any Mac addicts out there familiar with the little MacBooks? Are they good machines? Durable? If I'm gonna shell out $1,700 for a computer I want to be sure I'm getting something that's gonna last.

BTW, what's up with Apple's OS X? Six OS's in six years? I am a bit concerned by this, especially considering the cost of a new OS. However, OS 10.5 (Leopard) seems like a really good OS with some outstanding features.

LusiferSam
02-24-2007, 02:51 AM
I know that it will be a laptop. I also know that it will be a little while before I buy it, I want to wait for the new OS (10.5) to hit first.

Good idea. If you buy it close enough to when Leopard is released Apple will let you upgrade for free. Other wise its $150. Leopard should be out in March last I heard.

Does anyone here have one of these little powerhouses? Are there any Mac addicts out there familiar with the little MacBooks? Are they good machines? Durable? If I'm gonna shell out $1,700 for a computer I want to be sure I'm getting something that's gonna last.

I can't tell you too much about the MacBooks (what a dumb name), but they are not that dissimilar on the outside from the iBooks. The track pad is huge (better one button). The case is pretty solid and not a prone scratching as the Pros. But it does scratch, think of an iPod's white case. As for lasting, Apple normally has a good track record. Look at the price of used Apples and Macs. As for as I know there aren't as issues with the current line of laptops, but check for yourself.

BTW, what's up with Apple's OS X? Six OS's in six years? I am a bit concerned by this, especially considering the cost of a new OS. However, OS 10.5 (Leopard) seems like a really good OS with some outstanding features.

Panther or Tiger should have been Mac OS XI. Panther (10.3) was a pretty big change from Jaguar (10.2). On the plus side, it's nice Apple keeps making major updates and improvements frequently. System 7's development stalled and took forever to get started again. The down side is the price as you said.

Dar' Argol
02-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Why in the makers name would you shell out $1700 for a notebook??? I got on for under $850 and the darn thing ROCKS!! 15.4" Widescreen monitor and built in wi-fi. Its perfect and didn't cost me an arm and a hamster.

The major problem that I have with all Macs is that you cannot upgrade . . . I mean you need a new monitor, gotta buy another Mac. Need better graphics . . . gotta buy another Macs. To me Mac is the epitome of America's Disposable mindset.

But I have to admit as well that Macs OS and lack of security breaches makes it nice . . . Damn the conundrum!

LusiferSam
02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
The major problem that I have with all Macs is that you cannot upgrade . . . I mean you need a new monitor, gotta buy another Mac. Need better graphics . . . gotta buy another Macs.

Your talking about the iMac. Apple makes more than just the iMac. The MacBooks and MacPro are quite upgradeable (other an the monitor on the laptaps :p ). Beside the iMac is aimed at low end users.

sith_killer_99
02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Why in the makers name would you shell out $1700 for a notebook??? I got on for under $850 and the darn thing ROCKS!! 14.7" Widescreen monitor and built in wi-fi. Its perfect and didn't cost me an arm and a hamster.

I hear you, I bought a 15.4 inch widescreen (TruBright display) Toshiba Satellite notebook for under $1,000 and I have 2GB of RAM, 802.11a/b/g wireless, 100GB drive and a dual layer DVD burner.

But you can't run OS X (10.5) on a PC. Also, I want something small yet versatile enough to use on the go, or for a home system. The MacBook allows you to hook up an external monitor for home viewing.

I have 3 computers in my home. Our "desktop" PC is a Sony Vaio, my wife has her HP Pavilion I bought her for Christmas in 2004 and my Toshiba Satellite. But I really like the look and feel of Apple's OS!

One of the major advantages to the new OS X is Bootcamp, which will allow users to load multiple operating systems onto a Mac, so I can run Leopard and Vista on the same machine. Let's face it, today things are all about multi-tasking, computers are running dual core processors, dual video cards, dual monitors, why not get the benefit of running dual operating systems?

I agree the price is steep, but I will be able to afford it, so I am going for it.:D

What can I say, I'm a tech junkie. I have my 80GB Video iPod, my Toshiba Laptop, my external drives, my slingbox pro, my 400 disc DVD player with HD upscaling and on and on. I love tech!!! Apple's new OS is as high tech as it gets.

The major problem that I have with all Macs is that you cannot upgrade . . . I mean you need a new monitor, gotta buy another Mac. Need better graphics . . . gotta buy another Macs. To me Mac is the epitome of America's Disposable mindset.

That's really not as true as it used to be. Apple's laptops are no different, in terms of upgrades, from any other laptop.

Mac Mini - A somewhat self contained system, but you still hook up all the external components, monitor, keyboard, external drives, etc. If any of them go down or you want to replace them, it's no problem. Internal components are another issue however.

iMac - Stylish design with limited user upgrade potential. That's not to say they can't be upgraded, just that it costs more and has to be serviced be a professional.

Mac Pro - Designed more like a basic PC. The Mac Pro can easily be upgraded, new video card, RAM, hard drive, etc. External components are also hooked up like a standard PC.

Also, there is a new breed of laptops on the market today, I call them the mini laptops. While in Japan (late 2004) I saw these mini laptops all over the place. Back here in the States, they are not as wide spread, a 13 inch or smaller laptop tends to cost more because they are more difficult to produce and limited space means they tend to be a bit under powered. The 13 inch MacBook has plenty of power, it's compact and very versatile.

In the end, if I were to choose to own just one computer, it would be a PC with Windows Vista. However, this will be the fourth computer for our household and I am really looking forward to the new OS. Besides, Apple does have a good track record in terms of reliability, innovation and customer support.

bigbarada
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I use a Mac pretty much exclusively. I run my current iMac pretty much all day, everyday and I've never had a crash of any kind. At least nothing that is related to the hardware or the OS (I have an old version of Adobe Illustrator that is a little touchy at times).

The stability of the operating system is what makes these machines worth the extra money. Just like buying a car, there is a noticeable difference in quality between a $12,000 car and a $30,000 car.

The cheapest option is not always the best option, especially if you plan to run a lot of high-end software on your machine.

Blue2th
02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I too am waiting for the OSX upgrade Leopard I think. I missed getting Tiger on my Mac G5 Dual. It has the old Panther. Which seems to be ok. I also have a Mac Mini G4 in the living room hooked up to the LCD TV for living room browsing/ interactive TV. Bought it used on eBay. It had Tiger which seems to have a few cool upgrades compared to Panther, and a whole year of warranty on it. It also has the Bluetooth system where you can operate the keyboard and mouse wireless from the couch. Using an Airport Extream to run it from the main outlet. If I get another Mac its gonna be an Intel lap top like you. Questions.........Is the Leopard upgrade mainly for the Intel Macs, and/or is it worth getting for my G5 tower?

LusiferSam
02-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Questions.........Is the Leopard upgrade mainly for the Intel Macs, and/or is it worth getting for my G5 tower?

There's no short answer to your question. The foreseeable future of the Mac is with an Intel brain. So in a sense Leopard is mainly of Intel Macs, as Leopard is the future OS. But Apple isn't dropping Power PC support yet. Leopard is being released for both processors. So your G5 (or G4 or G3) can run it. I'll be upgrading my G5 to Leopard when it is released.

I have a question of my own. SK_99 what made you decide to get a Mac now? A few weeks ago you basically said you had better thing to waste your money on. The few Mac Addicts here couldn't have done that good a job are pushing our point of view. So what gives?

Slicker
02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I too am waiting for the OSX upgrade Leopard I think. I missed getting Tiger on my Mac G5 Dual. It has the old Panther. Is Mac by chance made in Germany or made by people that like German Tanks?

2-1B
02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
why Slick, are you going to start eyeing up their laptops as well ? :confused:

Slicker
02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
why Slick, are you going to start eyeing up their laptops as well ? :confused:
Nope. Why should I look at an expensive laptop when yours is cheap?

Just do the upgrades that I spoke of and we're in business.

sith_killer_99
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a question of my own. SK_99 what made you decide to get a Mac now? A few weeks ago you basically said you had better thing to waste your money on. The few Mac Addicts here couldn't have done that good a job are pushing our point of view. So what gives?

I was waiting for this one. LOL I'm surprised no one said anything sooner.

Actually that is where this all started. I have been doing a lot of research on Mac's since those threads started (both the "Vista" and the "Hate Microsoft"). Also, I was really impressed with Steve Jobs demo of OS X (10.5), I caught the videos on youtube.

Don't get me wrong, I still wish Apple would release OS X for the PC. I still think Mac's are over priced. But I just really really want the OS, and if I have to buy a Mac to get it, then I suppose that's what I will have to do. I wouldn't even consider buying one, if it weren't for the fact that I am going to be getting some extra cash.

Plus, I sort of justify it to myself by saying that I can really use an ultra portable mini laptop.:D

bigbarada
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Is Mac by chance made in Germany or made by people that like German Tanks?

:D

No, they just like cats. I just wonder what happens if they run out of big cats to name it after. I mean, after Tiger, Leopard and Panther, you can't really go on to Bobcat, Minx and Calico, can you?

Blue2th
02-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Is Mac by chance made in Germany or made by people that like German Tanks?
Never thought about it that way, now that you mention it. I think they like cats, but might be running out cool cat names. What's next? Ocelot? Puma? Lynx? Cheetah, Lion? Cheshire? Sabre Tooth? Tabby? Maybe King Tiger then we would know.

sith_killer_99
02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I think they like cats, but might be running out cool cat names. What's next? Ocelot? Puma? Lynx? Cheetah, Lion? Cheshire? Sabre Tooth? Tabby? Maybe King Tiger then we would know.

Actually they have already used some of those, here's the list:

OS 10.0 - Cheetah
OS 10.1 - Puma
OS 10.2 - Jaguar
OS 10.3 - Panther
OS 10.4 - Tiger
OS 10.5 - Leopard

Also, a little side note:

It could be noted that while "Panther", "Tiger" and "Leopard" are registered as trademarks of Apple, "Cheetah", "Puma" and "Jaguar" have never been registered. Apple has also registered "Lynx" and "Cougar" as trademarks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

So, Lynx and Cougar are possible future names of OS's from Apple. At the rate Apple is going we should know in a couple of months. Apple seems to release new OS's every years or so. LOL;)

Slicker
02-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe King Tiger then we would know.I hear they've also got a Panther II that's got alot of parts in common with it...

El Chuxter
02-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I thought they'd had an OS called Lynx already? :confused:

Blue2th
02-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Shows ya how much I know. My first Mac had Jaguar. Had no idea about the other OSX cats. The Leopard will probably be the last good OS for pre-Intel Macs, so I'll at least get that one.....Sidenote. My sister has had her old OS9-G4 Laptop for years with no problems, or repairs.

DarthQuack
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I've been thinking more about picking up a MacBook or a MacBook Pro this summer on my 30th birthday when I hope to have all my school loans finally paid off. :)

Anyone buy one of these recently or have any advice about them? I've been browsing the Apple site and we get a corporate discount which is nice too.