PDA

View Full Version : Kitik Keed'kak Review

Engineernerd
02-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey all,

I just posted my review of Kitik Keed'kak. Who? The giant praying mantis from Episode 4. Check out my thought on the this femme fatale here:

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/kitik_keedkak.asp

Enjoy!
Engineernerd

Jargo
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I just painted mine green. gave her yellow eyes and overbrushed with a couple of shades of green and yelow to get some shading. Looks fine now.

Engineernerd
03-04-2007, 05:57 AM
I just painted mine green. gave her yellow eyes and overbrushed with a couple of shades of green and yelow to get some shading. Looks fine now.

Do you have any pictures?

Jargo
03-04-2007, 10:43 AM
not yet but i can take one later. gimme five hours to charge up the cam batteries....

Jargo
03-04-2007, 06:33 PM
My cam batteries seem to be taking years to charge up. so I shoved Kitik in my scanner. Not the perfect solution but it'll do til I can take a proper pic tomorrow.

the green isn't so vibrant in reality and I chose to do the skirt green like the actual puppet rather than follow hasbro and do it tan/brown. it was never meant to be a skirt it was there to hide the guy operating the puppet. if i feel ambitious i may remove the skirt altogether and fix the waist. or just make the skirt match the puppet. or i may just leave it be. decisions decisions.....

Oh and the legs and butt are painted the same green as the body. No skimping.

pbarnard
03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
It's ZORAK!!!!

Engineernerd
03-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Sorry about your batteries, dude.

Love the color, though. I might have to pick up a second one and do that. Who am I kidding, if I tried my own repaint, it would look like I did it with crayons.

Great Job!

Jargo
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Ok here's the pics. same shot. One with daylight and one with something approximating studio lighting.

I should mention that I painted Kitik with enamel paints rather than acrylics. I can get a much thinner coat of paint on with enamels and slowly add layers of paint to get a better effect. Kitik here has three coats of different greens to build up to the final colour. then an overbrush of a sort of dirty yellow olive for the highlights. Her skin is done in a satin finish and her eyes are flat matt. I mixed all the colours myself from standard colours and used photo reference to get as close to the real colouring as possible.

The trick to using enamels is to mix the paint endlessly so it doesn't settle and to dry the object you've painted in a cold place. leave 24 hours before applying your next coat rather than the six or twelve it says on the tin or bottle. And use real hair brushes like sable rather than nylon bristle ones.
Paint in the brightest environment you can. preferably with light coming from many angles.

plasticfetish
03-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Very nice Mr. DP!

Engineernerd
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Awesome paint work! I'd have never guessed it was enamel, but it makes sense. Now, if Hasbro could take some lessons from you....