PDA

View Full Version : I hate Fall Out Boy

General_Grievous
02-25-2007, 03:50 PM
And their crappy new single "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race". I really wish the @$$ kicking metal bands of the 80s like Motley Crue and Metallica would kick the s**t out of all these emo bands like Fall Out Boy (and Panic at the Disco). The music industry has really gone down the toilet.

Slicker
02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't stand these bands. And just to show how hard core and Emo they are, they're gonna be doing a show here in VA with...Paul Wall.

Now THAT'S Emo!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I like some of that sort of music, but a lot of it does annoy me. I don't like the vocals on a lot of emo/pop-punk stuff. I can't distinguish one whiny nasal voice from another, and the guitars just seem to be a big non-distinct buzz. Sure, one of my favorite bands, the Smashing Pumpkins, had a whiny nasal sounding vocalist, but it was a bit more distinct and generally had better music to accompany it.

I listen to the Music Choice alternative channel, so I end up hearing a lot of these sorts of bands on there. Thus, I did come to enjoy the occasional song by them. I even purchased a few songs from iTunes. "Dance Dance" by Fall Out Boy, and "The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You" and "Ghost Of You" by My Chemical Romance.

I was never a huge Motley Crue fan, but Theatre of Pain was the last album I had any interest in. I finally got Too Fast For Love on CD recently. To me, that is their best album. It's almost punk rock, or a little closer to thrash than anything else they did. Plus, I like the cowbell.

Metallica is good, even in their later years, but I could do without most of the pop-metal/hair metal bands of the late 80's.

I guess since I am a child of the 70's, I enjoy the pop music from that decade the most. Lots of great songs and a lot of variety. When I'm not listening to the Alternative channel on Music Choice, I switch over to the 70's channel.

For something relatively new that's kind of kick @ss, Wolfmother sounds pretty good. You can definitely hear Zeppelin and Sabbath there. I really liked the Death From Above 1979 album, but I guess they broke up already. Plenty of good music out there. Sometimes you have to search for it though.

El Chuxter
02-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Metallica is good, even in their later years, but I could do without most of the pop-metal/hair metal bands of the late 80's.

I assume that does not include the Scorpions, Whitesnake, Guns n Roses, Extreme, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Tesla, and a few other great ones.

By the way, what did the boy fall out of? :confused:

jjreason
02-25-2007, 05:28 PM
The popularity of Blink 182 has spawned more wannabe bands than even the Backstreet Boys. Blink had a few songs that I listened to and enjoyed quite a bit, but the whole Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, etc. movement has completely passed me by - which leads me back to one of my favorite theories:

By age 30, you've heard all the music, watched all the movies and read all the comics/books you're going to like. Everything after that age "Sounds like (Zep, Stones, Pumpkins, Pixies, Dino Jr. whatever)" or "Reads like (Stephen King)" or whatever, because of your previous life experience. This goes hand in hand with the whole everything old is new again concept - which makes us so jaded after 30.

In other words, it's kind of our fault that everything sucks, not these new musicians, writers, artists, filmmakers, etc (though I'll stick with my other theory and say that they DO play a large role in the suckingness). :D

2-1B
02-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I hate Fall Out Boy

Me too, I hate them as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I assume that does not include the Scorpions, Whitesnake, Guns n Roses, Extreme, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Tesla, and a few other great ones.Scorpions from Lovedrive through Love at First Sting. I'm not really familiar with their early stuff, though that "Robot Man" song Mabs used in his Rockin' Deuce video was pretty good. Only Extreme I am familiar with wasn't metal sounding. I liked that "Hole Hearted" tune, but not "More Than Words". Def Leppard through Pyromania was good. Never really got into Whitesnake. I think the only Tesla song I remember was "Signs", which was all right. Bon Jovi was good, but not quite my thing. "Runaway" was a good tune. Guns N' Roses was probably the best of the bunch, except for the period of the Scorpions that I mentioned.

Actually, when I think back to music from the 80's that I listened to, I am hard pressed to find something that I liked then that I still really like. I was a big fan of the Cars, and I still like them, but I don't like their later stuff as much as I used to. By the time I discovered the Talking Heads, they were past their best albums. I guess I still like some new wave stuff from the early 80's, but more just singles and not albums and groups in general. The 80's stuff that I listen to now I didn't know about when it was new: The Pixies and Fugazi. The whole grunge explosion of the early 90's kind of opened up the underground scene and made me pay a little bit more attention to that.

So, even if there isn't any good new music, there is still plenty of old stuff for me to go back and discover. I've got a long wish list of songs that I want to get in iTunes. A lot of them are songs from the 70's.

By the way, what did the boy fall out of? :confused:I think it's like nuclear fallout, which is appropriate if their music makes you want to run for a bunker.

Rogue II
02-25-2007, 06:31 PM
And their crappy new single "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race". I really wish the @$$ kicking metal bands of the 80s like Motley Crue and Metallica would kick the s**t out of all these emo bands like Fall Out Boy (and Panic at the Disco). The music industry has really gone down the toilet.

I'm not too familiar with Fall Out Boy since I do my best to stay clear of all the new "rock" bands.

Oh, Motley Crue sucks. Not as bad as Poison, but they suck nonetheless.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-25-2007, 06:59 PM
The popularity of Blink 182 has spawned more wannabe bands than even the Backstreet Boys. Blink had a few songs that I listened to and enjoyed quite a bit, but the whole Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, etc. movement has completely passed me by - which leads me back to one of my favorite theories:

By age 30, you've heard all the music, watched all the movies and read all the comics/books you're going to like. Everything after that age "Sounds like (Zep, Stones, Pumpkins, Pixies, Dino Jr. whatever)" or "Reads like (Stephen King)" or whatever, because of your previous life experience. This goes hand in hand with the whole everything old is new again concept - which makes us so jaded after 30.

In other words, it's kind of our fault that everything sucks, not these new musicians, writers, artists, filmmakers, etc (though I'll stick with my other theory and say that they DO play a large role in the suckingness). :DI agree with this quite a bit. I think it was said well in the Smashing Pumpkins song "Love". It says "Love, it's who you know." I think this applies to music as well. I was born in 1970, so that is why I really enjoy the music of the 70's. I may not have liked it as much back then or maybe I didn't have an opinion at all. However, I was exposed to a lot of it, and now it is stuck in my brain somewhere. I hear it now and it is familiar and it takes me back. My late 70's and early 80's tastes were influenced by the albums my brother listened to. Early 90's I was in college here in the northwest when Nirvana hit it big, so a lot of the alternative stuff of that era was on my musical radar. The last few years have been influenced by whatever I happen to come across on internet radio or Music Choice. For regular radio, I sometimes tune into the local college station (KUGS) or CFOX out of Vancouver, BC. The other stations I might tune into are classic rock (KISM or CFMI).

So, these kids listening to this new stuff today don't know any better because it's just what they are exposed to.

InsaneJediGirl
02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
What I find funny about the song is how its supposed to be "anti-scene" yet their fanbase is made up of a bunch of preteen screaming girls. About the only new so called "emo" band I like is My Chemical Romance, at least with The Black Parade it was a step away from that scene.

I think a lot of the music is missing something "big", like something to define the time the way Metallica did for Metal in the 80s, The Clash for punk in the 70s, etc. Nothing much original going on out there in the music world.

El Chuxter
02-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Extreme could rock. Listen to the guitar on "Play with Me" (used during the cleanup scene in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, IIRC). It's an amazing sped-up version of Mozart.

CaptainSolo1138
02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
The only thing that sucks more than Fall Out Boy is Jared Leto and his guyliner.

General_Grievous
02-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh, don't get me started on Jared Leto. His band sucks too.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-26-2007, 09:04 AM
I got the new 30 Seconds to Mars CD when I forgot to reply to the BMG club. I debated on whether to keep it or not, but it has been a couple months now, so I guess I am keeping it. I still haven't opened the box they shipped it in though.

CaptainSolo1138
02-26-2007, 09:27 AM
I got the new 30 Seconds to Mars CD when I forgot to reply to the BMG club. I debated on whether to keep it or not, but it has been a couple months now, so I guess I am keeping it. I still haven't opened the box they shipped it in though.Don't listen to it, MSP! I fear that just by opening it you'll turn into a superficial, pretentious douche!:D

El Chuxter
02-26-2007, 09:41 AM
BMG is funny. In the Hard Rock category, I got Sarah McLachlan and Eminem as Featured Selections. (Didn't order either, because I got the Sarah Mac when it came out like a full year earlier, and I don't want to insult my other CDs by owning any more Eminem than I already have.) And in Alternative, I just received an e-mail telling me my Featured Selection was Bruce Springsteen.

Man, those guys are wacked. If not for the "unlimited CDs for $5.99 with free shipping" sales they do all the time, I'd have quit years ago.

mabudonicus
02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
MSP- Oh hell yes, Robot Man is the stuff- the first 5 Scorpions albums are pretty much wall-to-wall AWESOME. Very 70's style too, with every tune sounding totally unique (except on their first album, which sounds like a bunch of really talented guys getting high and listening to a weird mix of Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix- no joke- it's weird but really good)

EMO sucks through and through, I can't even say the word aloud personally. PRIAPIZM (our new band) will kick the CRAP outta that garbage :beard: Isobaws&

Mad Slanted Powers
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't listen to it, MSP! I fear that just by opening it you'll turn into a superficial, pretentious douche!:DI am quite safe from Leto's pitiful band. I shall be able to safely enjoy some of the songs without going over to the dark side.

BMG is funny. In the Hard Rock category, I got Sarah McLachlan and Eminem as Featured Selections. (Didn't order either, because I got the Sarah Mac when it came out like a full year earlier, and I don't want to insult my other CDs by owning any more Eminem than I already have.) And in Alternative, I just received an e-mail telling me my Featured Selection was Bruce Springsteen.

Man, those guys are wacked. If not for the "unlimited CDs for $5.99 with free shipping" sales they do all the time, I'd have quit years ago.I got Sarah McLachlan's Afterglow Live when I didn't respond. Still haven't listened or watched the DVD it comes with, but I like some of her stuff. Also, I'm due 10 free CD's that I've earned from bonus points. When I was with Columbia House, I could only use the points over the phone, but when they merged into BMG, that restriction was gone. However, I haven't used them because anytime I get something, it seems like a waste of free points when I can buy 1 get 3 or 4 free.

MSP- Oh hell yes, Robot Man is the stuff- the first 5 Scorpions albums are pretty much wall-to-wall AWESOME. Very 70's style too, with every tune sounding totally unique (except on their first album, which sounds like a bunch of really talented guys getting high and listening to a weird mix of Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix- no joke- it's weird but really good)Is that Lonesome Crow? I just noticed that iTunes has that. Looks like they added a bunch of stuff since I last checked, but that seems to be the only pre-Lovedrive album on there. A while back, I heard CFOX play "He's A Woman, She's A Man", so that's another early song I've heard.

El Chuxter
02-26-2007, 08:40 PM
The points expire after a year or so. I tend to wait until they run their killer deals with free shipping and buy stuff, and you still get points for those purchases. Then, when I get enough points, I order something else and only pay shipping.

mabudonicus
02-27-2007, 08:03 AM
MSP- Lonesome Crow is the first album, it's the nutty one. Other GREAT ones "Taken By Force" "Fly to the Rainbow", "In Trance" and "Virgin Killer" and there's one I'm forgetting but that's the list- if you do check out Lonesome Crow, I'd be VERY interested in your thoughts on it :beard: Isobaws&

Mad Slanted Powers
02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
MSP- Lonesome Crow is the first album, it's the nutty one. Other GREAT ones "Taken By Force" "Fly to the Rainbow", "In Trance" and "Virgin Killer" and there's one I'm forgetting but that's the list- if you do check out Lonesome Crow, I'd be VERY interested in your thoughts on it :beard: Isobaws&Based on the iTunes clips, I concur with your thoughts from the earlier post. The first song, "I'm Going Mad", sounds like Hendrix with some Sabbath riffs. "It All Depends" sounds like Hendrix or Cream. Hard to tell from the clip of "Leave Me", but it sounds more psychedelic, perhaps early Pink Floyd influence. "In Search Of The Peace of Mind" and "Action" seem mellower, while the clip for "Inheritance" starts a bit restrained and then rocks a bit more. The title track ends the album. It is 13:29, so I'm guessing it is a sprawling psychedelic epic, but that's just based on the clip.

figrin bran
02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
i'm not much of a fan of My Romance with the Chemical Fall Out Boys from the Disco either.

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 12:51 PM
A Verizon commercial last night was my first exposure to their "music."

I now officially hate them, too.

General_Grievous
02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Oh, Motley Crue sucks. Not as bad as Poison, but they suck nonetheless.
:frus: :frus::frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:
SHOUT
:frus: :frus::frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:
SHOUT
:frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:
SHOUT
:frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:
SHOUT AT THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm not proud to admit it, but I feel it should be "out there:" I used to have both Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance on my iPod. Luckily I have seen the light and have not had them on there for quite a while. I got rid of Fall Out Boy after their absolutely terrible performance on SNL when Natalie Portman hosted. As you have likely seen, holy GOD was that bad. :dead:

Both of them had singles that I liked about a year or two ago, but all their stuff sounds the same. And now My Chemical Romance is trying to do a copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall with all their Black Parade crap: not even close, bubs.

There are quite a few good bands out there today - Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Keane, the Shins, Arcade Fire, the Fray, Gnarls Barkley, the Strokes, Wolfmother - and many that continue to make good music, a la the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam. I tend to go more for music from the '60s and '70s though, as I feel a lot of it was just better. There are good current acts, but they generally don't get as much airplay or recognition as the crap ones.

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 06:28 PM
There are quite a few good bands out there today - Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Keane, the Shins, Arcade Fire, the Fray, Gnarls Barkley, the Strokes, Wolfmother - and many that continue to make good music, a la the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam. I tend to go more for music from the '60s and '70s though, as I feel a lot of it was just better. There are good current acts, but they generally don't get as much airplay or recognition as the crap ones.

Allow me to throw Pete Yorn into that list. That guy is a frigging god. It takes a musical genius to cover Springsteen and Bowie, and top them both.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
What did he cover from Springsteen ? :rolleyes:

I'll cut my left nut out if someone actually topped The Boss...can't be done. :)

General_Grievous
02-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Good call. I have a lot of songs from some of those bands on my iPod. I especially like Franz Ferdinand.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I prefer Ferdinand Magellan, that guy had some mad seafaring skillz.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
There are quite a few good bands out there today - Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Keane, the Shins, Arcade Fire, the Fray, Gnarls Barkley, the Strokes, WolfmotherOf those, I have the first Franz Ferdinand CD, The Moon And Antarctica and Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse, and Wolfmother's self-titled. I've bought individual songs from iTunes from some of the others: "Is It Any Wonder?" by Keane, "Turn A Square" by The Shins, and "Juicebox", "Reptilia" and "Heart In A Cage" by The Strokes. I didn't really enjoy Arcade Fire's performance on SNL last week, but I have "Rebellion (Lies)" on a list of songs I might get from iTunes. I'm don't recall any songs by the Fray, but the two Gnarls Barkley songs I've heard are all right.

figrin bran
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
The Arcade Fire is/are awesome!!!

i've listened to the tracks from the upcoming album, Neon Bible, so much that it's going to be a bit anticlimactic when it comes out.

MSP, forget about Rebellion (Lies). you should listen to Neighborhood #1 Tunnels and Neighborhood #3 Laika

El Chuxter
03-01-2007, 12:18 AM
He covered "Dancing in the Dark." It's quite good. My only issue with Bruce's original is that, if you listen to the lyrics, they absolutely don't fit the music. Yorn slows it down quite a bit, and "I'm just tired and bored with myself" fits his arrangement better, I think.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
I liked the Cowboy Junkies cover of "State Trooper". That whole album Whites Off Earth Now is full of similar takes on classic blues tunes.

jjreason
03-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not proud to admit it, but I feel it should be "out there:" I used to have both Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance on my iPod.....

You know, there's no problem with this MrJJL. I don't hate every Fallout Boy song, or every song from lots of bands I'd never purchase music from. It's just the lack of anything really meaningful in the music they make or what they say or do in public, whatever. They could be anyone in cool clothes making expensive videos... they have no individuality or spark, they take me no place I haven't been before.

I'm really lucky - Toronto has an amazing new rock station that plays an excellent mix of "current favorites" from groups like Fallout Boy, Modest Mouse, Muse, etc - but they always come right back in the same block with a ripper from Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot, Nirvana or some other "classsic" alternative group. It's the best of both worlds because I never have to buy new music (until I've heard about the 3rd single from a new group's album and I've liked all 3 - which is basically never, but I'm nearly ready to drop the $ on Wolfmother), but still get to hear a nice smattering of what's "cool" these days.

mabudonicus
03-01-2007, 05:37 PM
How old are you again there, JJ ;) ????

:beard:

What station you mean anyways, sure as heck ain't the Q
:beard:Isobaws&

2-1B
03-01-2007, 06:19 PM
He covered "Dancing in the Dark." It's quite good. My only issue with Bruce's original is that, if you listen to the lyrics, they absolutely don't fit the music. Yorn slows it down quite a bit, and "I'm just tired and bored with myself" fits his arrangement better, I think.

The only way to top that song is Bruce doing it Live without the synthesizer stuff.

jjreason
03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
CFNY aka 102.1 "The EDGE"!!!!! :thumbsup: :mabs:

I listen to it every day to and from work, the guys who start at 0530hrs ("the Dean Blundell show") are so funny, it reminds me of a certain bunch of jokers who hang around elsewhere discussing drivel for hours on end.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm really lucky - Toronto has an amazing new rock station that plays an excellent mix of "current favorites" from groups like Fallout Boy, Modest Mouse, Muse, etc - but they always come right back in the same block with a ripper from Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot, Nirvana or some other "classsic" alternative group. It's the best of both worlds because I never have to buy new music (until I've heard about the 3rd single from a new group's album and I've liked all 3 - which is basically never, but I'm nearly ready to drop the $ on Wolfmother), but still get to hear a nice smattering of what's "cool" these days.
That's similar to the playlist on the Music Choice alternative channel that I get on my Comcast Cable, though I don't know if I've heard Rage on there.

I've only listened to the Wolfmother CD once in its entirety so I don't remember it all very well, but I do remember it was pretty good from start to finish. I'd say it was a good purchase.

jjreason
03-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the tip, MSP. When I first heard them ("Southern Joker", or whatever that song's called) I was sure it was a new White Stripes song - but the more you listen to it, the more you can hear the differences (particularly in the guitar work). The other song they're playing periodically sounds more like Zeppelin to me, but I've only heard it about twice and don't know the name of it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the tip, MSP. When I first heard them ("Southern Joker", or whatever that song's called) I was sure it was a new White Stripes song - but the more you listen to it, the more you can hear the differences (particularly in the guitar work). The other song they're playing periodically sounds more like Zeppelin to me, but I've only heard it about twice and don't know the name of it."Joker & The Thief"? That's a good one. The song that I thought was The White Stripes was "Apple Tree".

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Of those, I have the first Franz Ferdinand CD, The Moon And Antarctica and Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse, and Wolfmother's self-titled. I've bought individual songs from iTunes from some of the others: "Is It Any Wonder?" by Keane, "Turn A Square" by The Shins, and "Juicebox", "Reptilia" and "Heart In A Cage" by The Strokes. I didn't really enjoy Arcade Fire's performance on SNL last week, but I have "Rebellion (Lies)" on a list of songs I might get from iTunes. I'm don't recall any songs by the Fray, but the two Gnarls Barkley songs I've heard are all right.
You MUST get You Could Have It So Much Better by Franz Ferdinand. I haven't listened to it in a while but for some reason I like it a lot better than their first album, which I love as well.

If you're into individual songs, get "What Ever Happened" by the Strokes - that one is one of my favorites by them. I tend to listen to the whole albums instead of individual songs, and all three of theirs are really good.

Arcade Fire is a little weird, my favorite song of theirs is the first one from their Funeral album ("Neighborhood #1" or something like that). Their new CD comes out Tuesday so that should be good. Modest Mouse also has a new one coming later this month, and I like the first single.

As far as the Fray, they're from Denver, so since I live close to there they play them a lot around here. I bet if you heard them you'd recognize them.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Modest Mouse also has a new one coming later this month, and I like the first single.I've heard the new song. Then I was listening to the college station the other day and heard a familiar song and I thought it was the new Modest Mouse song. Then I get home and realize instead that it was "Let's Pretend" by a local band called No-Fi Soul Rebellion. That's the only song they currently have on iTunes.