PDA

View Full Version : Hey you guests!!!

Slicker
02-25-2007, 11:17 PM
There are 128 of you on right now!!

It's good AND good for you!!!

El Chuxter
02-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Why didn't you dig up the thread from a few years ago that started out almost the exact same way?

Slicker
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I just didn't feel like it.

I'm not in a digging mood tonight.

Tycho
02-26-2007, 02:15 AM
If I could sign on as a guest, I might actually be welcome :squareeye

I reckon the guests are people (or scalpers) perusing our Just Found Boards so they can find out what they should next hoard and put up on eBay so they can afford better Hot Wheels.

Hey Slicker, do you need any more of those Super-Articulated Lushros Dofine figures?

My store must have just got 30 more Moff Jerjerrods, too. I could help you out and get you some before they're all sold out!

And they also have that exclusive Darth Vader figure. He has a helmet and he's wearing all black. I don't remember the last time I've seen anything like it.

CaptainSolo1138
02-26-2007, 06:48 AM
No Deity C-3PO figures?:cry:

Blue2th
02-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Aren't guests also members who are lurking around, with cleared cookies who haven't signed in?

Tycho
02-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Aren't guests also members who are lurking around, with cleared cookies who haven't signed in?

Yeah. But I couldn't stand to lurk without being signed in. You see by this example alone, I always want to pop off and say something.

UKWildcat
02-26-2007, 11:00 AM
We really need a thread like this over at Actionfigs. That place is kinda depressing, w/ the lack of activity. :sad:

Tycho
02-26-2007, 12:27 PM
We really need a thread like this over at Actionfigs. That place is kinda depressing, w/ the lack of activity. :sad:

I try to post there.

A few problems with it are:

1) This is HOME for all of us here. For probably 11 years it has been so for me.

2) I am only interested in 2 other toy lines: Star Trek & Transformers - they aren't getting a lot of play over at ActionFigs:

2a) Star Trek isn't getting too much play period. It might be slowly coming back, or it might always be underground from now on. It's not as it was almost mainstream in TNG's heydey.

2b) Transformers has TFW2005.com which I find it the premier site for all Transformer news and pics. The forums categories over there could be further and better broken down into subtopics (Alternators....) like ActionFigs has, but its participation is huge and growing in light of Michael Blasphemy's movie. I didn't get into Pirates. I honestly don't want to "get into" more of someone else's stuff. I'm creating my own and need to do my work. But I was into Transformers as a kid in the 80's. I tried to hold out (only own 10 figures now) but I just can't resist that genre.

(Note, you can adjust the news feed on ActionFigs to just give you TF news or whatever in one button click - but it is not the same as a specialty site - just like we all know SSG is the best for Star Wars.)

I want to support Steve's endeavors as a friend. However, I don't have time to be the TF reporter for ActionFigs or whatever, and I think it would be almost redundant if it really steps up TF reporting, because TFW2005 does such a great job.

SSG is on top of the Star Wars game because it was one of the first. Steve came on the SW scene when you could likely count the Star Wars sites on one hand, using less than all your fingers. That's why this community built up to be so strong and those of us in the web group stuck together when the crap went down with Action-Online and we're all still here (and adding new members).

It's a testimony to both his timing and his success, that not even Steve can compete with his own work from a decade ago. SSG is a powerhouse. ActionFigs could become great. It might take far longer for it to evolve and found a community. We might not be the strongest part of it.

However, I do think ActionFigs must play its part in the Transformers community. It's a big opportunity and ought not to be wasted.

Steve might want to try and build up Star Trek right now though. There is probably not a lot out there at all for Trek. It's basically dead right now. But there is another movie coming. Just hypothetically, what if it is an incredible picture that most of us go to the theaters for repeat viewings? The website most prepared for the bandwagon influx will undoubtedly benefit.

3) Finally, I'm often a cynical, obnoxious, juvenile board poster (here) - because many find me as amusing as it is to clean their cat's litterbox. If I inject myself into a new board, (even ActionFigs) as the Tycho you all know and hate, I'd just be a troll. Here, after 11 years, I'm an institution! (or institutionalized) Nobody on message boards knows me as well as you guys do. I've been all over MySpace etc. posting every nefarious theory or scheme I could plot out, but it all comes and goes.

In any case, when it comes down to it, most of you know me to be an honest trader, a supportive online friend (a lot of you have met me in person now as well), and in real life I'm actually nicer than you'd think. (I swear it is my wicked keyboard!) So with many another instance, my posts are likely me just being "snarky" (there I used that word again: ATTENTION JEDITRICKS - SNARKY ALERT!) but I do tend to burn down the walls of hypocrisy as I see them so my R&P threads and social commentary doesn't walk on eggshells. But you already knew that because you know me. On another site, I'd just be an anonymous troll with a mouthful of garbage. Here, I'm a known troll with a mouthful of garbage. See the difference?

Jargo
02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
lurkers can also be people using a computer that isn't there own where they've never signed in. members in stealth mode. (my preferred method)

I tend to think of lurkers as people browsing for some nugget of news they can ost on another site and claim as their own news. or people who just come to download the pictures.

or the FBI or Prez Bush checking the more few internets highwayz.

Slicker
02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Even people in stealth mode show up as users. It'll say 7 users but only show like 6 names.

I just hate going to forums and seeing only 5-10% of the people on it are registered members. If everyone that lurked would just sign up and contribute then this place would be that much better.

Blue2th
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I tend to think of lurkers as people browsing for some nugget of news they can ost on another site and claim as their own news. or people who just come to download the pictures.

or the FBI or Prez Bush checking the more few internets highwayz.

I go to other sites for news, but never browse their forums. I clear my cookies as a matter of habit to keep my computer from clogging up. I do browse the forums here without signing in, then sign in if I have something to say. So I guess I'm some sort of a Lurker.

Tycho
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I do browse the forums here without signing in, then sign in if I have something to say. So I guess I'm some sort of a Lurker.

I grow alarmed whenever I don't have anything to say! The forums could get utterly boring without something to spout off about.

Watch this:

ANNA-NICOLE SMITH!

:D

plasticfetish
02-26-2007, 08:51 PM
You're so banned Tycho... ;)

I always imagine that lurkers are for the most part members (or potential members) that just haven't logged back in. I know I'm often having to log in after clearing cookies or whatever.

About ActionFigs, and what Tycho posted...

I try to post there. A few problems with it areYou know, I think it's important to remember why that site started, and how it relates to this one. You made a great point about it taking time to build things up, and I'm pretty sure that Steve's aware of the process. It's always been important here that this site is community driven. Everyone that contributes does it for fun, and if you think about it, much of the news and info comes from forum members.

The idea with ActionFigs was to offer up a place where a broader community of collectors could develop. It had a lot to do with finding an alternative when things were getting a little "complicated" around here, but now that we're beyond that, it's really not much different. The tough thing is that, no, we didn't and don't want to fiddle with this community, or steer all of the non-Star Wars discussion to ActionFigs. It's pretty much been up to you guys to decide how you want things to develop.

Thereís a lot of room for growth over there. I know Steve is still thinking up new ideas, but itíll ultimately be the rest of us that make things work. Same applies to this site.

Tycho
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
As his friend and supporter, I really want ActionFigs to work for Steve.

Yup, PF it's going to take some time. SSG got off to a start nearly the same time the whole world-wide-web did, so there's little wonder why this site is as strong as it is.

The tough thing is that, no, we didn't and don't want to fiddle with this community, or steer all of the non-Star Wars discussion to ActionFigs. It's pretty much been up to you guys to decide how you want things to develop.

That's why I also think that ActionFigs will expand with new blood over there. Many of us here are ingrained in SSG habitually (It's so likely many of our browser's homepage).

When I was younger (LOL - I sound too much like an old man for someone as immature as I am to be saying that), I posted a lot of news and was a bigger contributor here. I still will report from Comic Con of course. And here and there I chime in with some news - I've done so at ActionFigs as well - but only in so much as it was fun. For example, there are 13 new Transformers (and then some) coming at us from the Michael Bay movie. I reported on the few I really liked (Prime, Ratchet, maybe another - oh probably the Protoforms even though I didn't like them but they were the first thing we saw). But I had no enthusiasm to post any pictures of that travesty Mr. Bay is suggesting represents Starscream. Hehe. But anyway, that's like 5 or less articles while there is at least a potential of 13. I'd rather peek over at TFW2005, groan, and follow the rule, "If you can't say anything nice..."

As I also said, with Star Trek, I might try and do a little more. Not so much, so fast is coming at us with Trek, and with my new slow-motion setting, I might be more suited to that.

Finally, coming into full circle for my time here at SSG, tomorrow there is a SW book release and if I remember, I will contribute a news article about it here (SW books might not really be ActionFigs's forteit).

ActionFigs is a very good idea. It really needed to be done. Ironically, while many of us are Steve's loyal web band, I still don't think we're the ones that will build that site for him. But it might just be that I have a narrower perspective and like a lot less toy lines than many of the rest of you.

(actually, that's probably what it is - you "Pirate guys!" and "Super Friends.")

While you'll "Marvel" at new "Legends," I remain locked in the Rancor Pit ;)

2-1B
02-27-2007, 10:38 PM
I think we should scare off newcomers by ridiculing their posts and making them feel unwelcome.

Slicker
02-27-2007, 10:46 PM
We're gettin' better tonight.

We've got 209 people on and 23 are members.

That still leaves 186 lurkers though!!!

2-1B
02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I agree, we need to become more intolerant and exclusionary so that the rest of the 186 will leave...we can do it!

Slicker
02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
It's obvious you have no effect on people as the number of guests has risen to 195.

2-1B
02-27-2007, 11:05 PM
It is probably all the passersby who are interested in reading up on Tycho's latest dreams.

Tycho
02-27-2007, 11:26 PM
It is probably all the passersby who are interested in reading up on Tycho's latest dreams.

Hey: don't knock it. I'm doing my part to contribute to Steve's traffic around here. Nobody knows what I'm going to post next! :crazed:

El Chuxter
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I had a dream this morning where I woke up, and everything was just like it should be, only there was a guy trying to shoot my cats through the window, and I realized I was asleep and tried to wake myself up. Then everything was normal, but the TV was gone, even though I could hear it. Realized I was dreaming again, tried to wake myself up again. This time, lights and appliances kept turning on in other rooms. Tried to wake myself up again. This time, there was a total eclipse, and fire raining from the heavens. Tried waking up yet again. This time I knew everything was all right, since there were 15 or so Burger King crowns on the coffee table, where I'd left them (even though I really didn't). Though the crowns seemed normal, the baby jumping up and running across the room, shouting profanities in Gilbert Gottfried's voice didn't.

After a few dozen more attempts, I finally woke up for real. It was actually kind of a freakish nightmare--I knew everything was a dream, but could not wake myself up no matter how I tried.

I swear, I did not make this up.

Tycho
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
That was awesome Chuxter! It made me want to go to Burger King just so I could get one of those crowns!

2-1B
02-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Chux, do you mean someone was trying to hit your cats with projectiles through a window or do you mean that someone was trying to use your cats AS projectiles ?

This is important for interpreting the dream.

Tycho
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Just to add one more possible scenerio: I've seen my cats in their litterboxes, and THEY launch projectiles! :D