PDA

View Full Version : You can't put a price on life.

Slicker
02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Why is it that I hear that all the time, yet when some accident happens where someone gets killed families scramble to get there millions of dollars. To me this sounds like they're putting a price on life and the going rate is anywhere above $10,000,000.

El Chuxter
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I once read that, if the human body were broken into components and sold, an adult would go for something around $47.

Jargo
02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
you're right, as elements we're worth diddly squat.

something that always amazes me is how so many of the truly rich are the dumbest schmucks going. And i'm not talking about business acumen or education qualified and being stupid but completely lacking in any sort of grace style poise, humility personality common sense. No life skills whatsoever. just dumb. and all their riches and posessions and behavior does is show them up to be that dumb. It's almost like fabulous wealth serves to ridicule the dumb of the world. just rewards really.

there again people only imitate the rich and famous because we're told that this is what we should aspire to. that we should ape these 'pillars of society'. so therefore the world becomes a litiginous place filled with wannabe dumb schmucks.

Rogue II
02-26-2007, 02:22 PM
This lady I work with had a pet beta in the office. She talked to it all the time and thought it would respond to her. Naturally, I gave her crap for doing so. One day I told her, "It is hard to put a price on life, but when you see betas at Petsmart for $5..." Yeah, that ticked her off.

Kidhuman
02-26-2007, 11:19 PM
I say Slicker is worth 3 bucks. I just put a price on you.

El Chuxter
02-26-2007, 11:28 PM
$3 is a ripoff.

sith_killer_99
02-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Slicker may only be worth $3.00 but Slicker's mom is priceless.;)

JEDIpartner
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Slicker may only be worth $3.00 but Slicker's mom is priceless.;)

I heard the going rate was $68/hr. :yes:

JON9000
02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Why is it that I hear that all the time, yet when some accident happens where someone gets killed families scramble to get there millions of dollars. To me this sounds like they're putting a price on life and the going rate is anywhere above $10,000,000.

Are you decrying the idea that people are compensated when some jackass kills one of their family members, or simply the idea that we are prepared to monetize anything?

Let's pretend Slicker is an upstanding citizen with a lovely wife and three young children. As he is walking home one day, thinking righteous thoughts, he passes by a building. Unbeknownst to him, JON9000, a known drunkard, is about to start pitching beer bottles off the roof whilst decrying his pathetic life.

One of these beer bottles strikes down Slicker and kills him. :hurt: :dead: Slicker's wife and children bring a wrongful death lawsuit against JON9000, to capture his trust fund, valued at 10 million dollars. At trial, JON9000 cavalierly looks at the former Slicker's beautiful wife and lovely children and sing-songs to them... "sorry, my darlings, but you shouldn't be putting a price on Slicker's life... for how can one put a price on life, you greedy people? Take a hike."

The jury reflects on the wisdom of JON9000's comments, sides with him, leaving Slicker's wife and children fatherless and poor. JON9000 goes directly back to the roof to pitch more bottles. :Pirate:

Slicker
02-27-2007, 10:39 AM
FINALLY! Someone took it seriously.;)

I just hate the fact that people seem to lose sight of the death of the loved one and focus on getting the millions.:greedy:

The Tobacco lawsuits come to mind immediately. I read a story wear the people are complaining about the limit put on there lawsuits. The one that made me write this thread was about the ferry accident in NYC where the judge said that there is no cap on the lawsuits so now these people can sue for stupid amounts of money.

I just hate how America is so sue happy and everyone is trying to get free money.

I guess we must live in a perfect world since accidents don't happen anymore.:rolleyes:

pbarnard
02-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I once read that, if the human body were broken into components and sold, an adult would go for something around $47.

you're right, as elements we're worth diddly squat.

Yes, the elements are but the problem is that the actual molecules that the elements assemble to aren't. Try to order a purified protein or enzyme, they cost hundreds of dollars per microgram. While life may be part of it, it is the arrangement of these molecules into specific organs that drives the price up on the black markets otherwise we could take a pile of charcoal, and bubble in some nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen to make a liver or kidney.

The problem with the original theme is that the liable corporation or individual's insurance instead of admitting wrong doing often give a huge lump sum, say be quiet. Most would be happy with "I/We am/are sorry." In the absence of a lack of responsibility/culpability, primal nature says take the next best thing, get set for life.

Luuuuuuke
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
In some cases, some people do put a price on a life in such a way that it's pretty crass. But like JON9000 said, sometimes you have to hold people, companies, whoever, as accountable as possible. In truth, you can't put a price on the loss of a loved one but you can make the "jackass" responsible, assuming they are, as uncomfortable as possible.

I suppose sometimes it's more about retribution than the money. But hey, you can't just go out and kill the person who killed your own. If we lived in Afghanistan we wouldn't be suing; someone kills family, you'd take them out.

But we live in the good ole U.S.A, thankfully, and so we sue. Cause there ain't much else you can do. The ability to sue, if used rightenously, is very vital.

bigbarada
02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
If you want to find out how much you are really worth, click here:
http://www.humanforsale.com/

I could get $2,446,044 if I sold myself.:eek:

bobafrett
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
I got $13,000.00 many years back after I slipped while working at a 7-Eleven. I only asked for workmans comp to take care of the medical bills for the knee swelling, but then my boss denied the claim, and I got an attorney. I remember sitting at this session with my attorney, and he says, "Your knee is worth $xx.xx, and to fix the knee it would cost $xx.xx, and your medical bills you've paid thus far are $xx.xx. All that added up to a nice payday, though I owed my ex about $3,000.00 of it.

I'm worth exactly $1,971,000, according to the site provided by BigB!

jjreason
02-27-2007, 06:06 PM
We just had some training regarding investigations into "human trafficking" - hoodwinking girls from asia or europe into coming over here to work as waitresses or cleaners (which really means prostitution). The girls are sold very, very cheaply from one hand to the next - which is absolutely horrifying.

The issue with this is that the girls are often seen as complicit in the crime - they know full well they're circumventing the proper immigration channels - and hence some of the penalties given to the bad guys seem a little light. Having a daughter, it's terrifying for me to think that someone could just see her as cattle, something worth a very few dollars. :(

Slicker
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
I should really sell my body:

$2,742,440

Yeah, that's right. I'm sexy!!!

Jargo
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
$618,990 or £309.495.

I'm worth diddly. Though right about now I sure could use that kinda cash.

DarthBrandon
02-27-2007, 07:19 PM
If you want to find out how much you are really worth, click here:
http://www.humanforsale.com/

I could get $2,446,044 if I sold myself.:eek:

I tried this wacky survey, put me at 3,777,550, which is far more than anyone is worth IMHO. I'd sell myself tom if it were true.:D

CaptainSolo1138
02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
$1,620,046

Man, I suck. Us smokers are always getting screwed. :( ;)

Tycho
02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Tycho the Lawyer here with today's formula for calculating how much a human life is worth. (I'm writing sarcastically, well, I start off that way, but my post is likely accurate)

You can sue for:

burial cost of unplanned death expenditure

future earnings - so many years worth at least. The wife who unexpectedly lost her husband and was staying at home with children as a full-time homemaker... say he brought home $60,000 and the kids were 7, 4, and 1.

That's at least 14 years until the youngest might be employed. During that time, the husband would have brought home $840,000.

Add a funeral (basic cost $10,000) - we're at $850,000.

Round it out to make it sound settling to the widow: $1 million.

Included in that might be her and her family's cost of counseling if they either loved or hated the bread-winner.

If they were all injured, say by a drunken driver (the husband is still killed), they'd be awarded the costs of their other treatments as well, their own auto repairs, etc.

Is this fair to society?

Well, here you have an adult (the wife) who made decisions to have 3 children, and she thought she could stay at home and care for them because she had a man-slave to provide for her. Now that plan backfired on her and she's stuck with 3 kids and no income without winning the lawsuit.

Does her man-slave (naive people call this being a husband) equal a property value to her? (Her future income?)

Well, we have a jury to decide that in the civil trial.

It's arbitrary, since no one can say Ron Goldman's father was dependent on Ron for his income before O.J. did (or did not) slaughter him.

So it's up to the Jury. There are safeguards in place.

In civil suits, it only takes a majority of the jurors, not a unanymous decision like in a criminal case.

Were I on a Jury with a lot of others like me, I would have said, "Tough luck" to the woman who's husband was killed. She's an adult.

I think it's reasonable she gets $10,000 for funeral expenses. Maybe $240,000 to cover her until her youngest is Pre-School age. Then she can get back into the work force. In the meantime, she might do correspondence courses if she needs to upgrade her education for the workforce, while she's got the toddler at home. The court should allocate her monetary award so she just doesn't buy some cheap condo or a Ferrari and a breasts job with the money. She should get $5,000 a month in other words, and be legally limited on the credit she can open in her name. (She might be intelligent, but I'm preparing for the higher probability that she's not, but rather a stupid idiot like most people)

Then once she's prepared to be a pre-school teacher, or some other occupation that lets her off work when her youngest child needs her, she can get whatever limited AFDC assistence she might need, but get back into it.

If she got the $1,000,000 she could have that intelligently invested. If it averaged only 10%, she could perpetuate her income by $100,000 every year and never have to return to work. That's not a bad option for her, but it's just dumb luck that some people find that to be their experience, and others do not.

2-1B
02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
some people are priceless to me but then there are other people out there whom I don't believe are worth 5 dollars...

JetsAndHeels
02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
some people are priceless to me but then there are other people out there whom I don't believe are worth 5 dollars...

whats your beef with me? :)

Tycho
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Hey Caesar - I've been meaning to ask you: can I borrow 5 dollars?

Kidhuman
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
$2,083,618 for me.