PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid of snakes?

El Chuxter
02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a dumb topic, but I'm curious. Everyone seems to love or hate snakes, and I'd like to know what the breakdown is here.

Myself, I think they're beautiful creatures, very elegant in a strange way. I would've had a snake as a pet if my mother had let me, though in hindsight it's probably best I didn't, as I wouldn't have liked feeding it live animals.

I'm not afraid of them (I'm more afraid of spiders), though I give venomous ones a respectful distance. Especially aggressive ones like rattlers and cottonmouths (though, luckily, I've never come across the latter).

If I had to pick a fave, I'd go with the hognosed snake, though I've never seen one in person in the wild (and captive ones give up their act after a few days). They're venomous, but only to cold-blooded animals like the toads they eat. When confronted, first they coil up and shake their tails like rattlers, then they puff up like cobras (despite there being no cobras in the entire hemisphere!), and, finally, if all else fails, they play dead. Funniest thing, though, despite the act, there's no record of one ever biting a human (they strike, but don't make contact), and they seem to have it in their heads that dead snakes must lie on their backs--roll one over that's playing dead, and he'll flip right back.

Very cool snake, indeed.

LTBasker
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm not afraid of the snake itself, I'm afraid of the fangs. It's like that with most creatures I'm afraid of, the big exception being spiders. I'm scared of their fangs and their utterly horrid ugliness.

8 LEGS SHOULD NOT BE LEGAL!

General_Grievous
02-26-2007, 10:00 PM
If there was one snake in a room, I would not be afraid of it. If there were 200 snakes in a room, I would be s***ting myself. It all depends on the amount of them, just like with spiders. I'm not afraid of a few spiders, but if there were a bunch of spiders and bugs in a room like in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", I'd be freaking out.

I'm more claustrophobic than anything.

Darth Jax
02-26-2007, 10:23 PM
constrictors don't bother me in the least. rattlers scare the crap out of me.

Blue2th
02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Snakes are alright. Like LTB, I'm just afraid of their fangs. Once identified as non-poisonous, I have no problem handling them. One thing good is that they eat RATS!

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm afraid of Tycho.

Slicker
02-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Snakes aren't that big of a deal to me.

Spiders aren't THAT bad either but they've got the creep factor for me. I can handle 'em but I still get creeped out for some reason. They're so fast I think is why I'm frightened. They could be up your pant leg and in your cornhole before you could scream like a girl.

Luuuuuuke
02-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm not really afraid of snakes per se. If I knew a snake, no matter how big, was harmless, I'd handle it, no problem. But I sure as hell would not get near a venomous snake, or an aggressive, biting snake. But I don't find snakes to be that creepy. Reptiles don't scare me.

Kidhuman
02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
No, I am not afraid of them.

DarthQuack
02-26-2007, 11:25 PM
If they're behind glass I have no problem....as well as watching National Geographic shows on them which I enjoy a lot, but as to seeing one outside or in a basement...I'll lose it.....can't stand that or spiders.....held a small python when I was high once...that was cool.

mabudonicus
02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
my opinion is likely coloured by the fact that there's only one possible venemous snake hereabouts, but it's likely extinct in my actual area by now (lst sighting was a LONG time ago)

They don't bug me at all- if you go hiking in early spring, they're all over the place, sunning themselves on the pathways and rocks, and sometimes I'll chase one to get a better look at him.

I have been struck by a hognose snake, I'm pretty sure Chux- the thing leapt at my boot and hit it hard enough to hear, it was a TAD freaky (couldn't see him well enough to be CERTAIN he was harmless til after he hit me) but more of a "did you see THAT?!?! Holy Carp!!!" kind of way than any fear

Spiders- what Jargo said, creepy little buggers, there's just something alien about them :beard:Isobaws&

Jargo
02-27-2007, 08:10 AM
I said that?

I don't mind snakes behind glass. get one slithering around and I'm outa there. Met a python called Monty once (yeah dead original name huh?) and he was pretty docile. got to stroke him. but he'd just fed so he was fine.

I kinda think creatures like snakes and insects and lizards and stuff should be left in the wild.let them do their thing in peace. but any of those creatures come near my house and i will kill them. I don't take kindly to uninvited guests and squatters.

JEDIpartner
02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Surprised... not afraid.

mabudonicus
02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I thought you said something about things with 8 legs being outlawed?? That's what I meant, there's something just not right with anything that has more than 6 legs- something about the geometry of it all is alien (and I DO believe that certain creatures descended from different "Star Spawn" if you will, but I don't want to get off topic here, another thread would be needed to contain all of my "personal beliefs on the Origins of Species" and most folks would'nt be all that interested)

But again, snakes- I would be VERY CAREFUL around poisonous or really gigantic snakes, but only out of a healthy respect- spiders, whicle posing no theat, somehow scare the HELL out of me :beard:Isobaws&

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-27-2007, 06:09 PM
They don't scare me, but I've had enough of them. At least the ones on this plane.

Really though, I can't recall a time when I've ever seen one in "the wild," so I have never really been afraid of them. Heavy storms - especially when travelling, like on a car trip - tend to freak me out more than animals, but I don't go apesh** when they happen or anything. I don't really see a point in being afraid of snakes since there really aren't any around here (as far as I know, but what do I know).

Jargo
02-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I went to our local zoo a while back and went into the bat house. I thought they'd just be the little ones that look like hangliding mice, but no, they were collosal and intimidating. big flappy leathery poopy smelling things. the stuff of nightmares. whizzing past your ears like there's a demon behind you.....

after that the reptiles and insects didn't bother me so much. I was spooked by the huge ants they had. Red ones with really long legs. running in lines up and around a planted tree trunk. The snakes and lizards seemed okay because they weren't moving much. and i didn't like some of the twig like insects that were six inches long. really ugly looking bugs. I rersisted the offer to open a box and sniff at what a tarantulas legs smell like.

I still don't like insects and reptiles. they're just too alien and pre-history looking. like things out of their time. and I remember what i said now, I said I don't like anything with more than four legs. more than four legs critters should be exterminated. they have shifty eyes and devious insidious motives.

CaptainSolo1138
02-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I hate snakes. I skip over the National Geographic Channel or Discover or TLC if they're showing a program about them. They give me the creeps like no other.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't like them because they trick women into eating apples. Shows how dumb women are.

I have never encountered a poisonous snake as they do not live in my area. All we get really are Grass Snakes and Garter Snakes, they are harmless.
If I was walking around and some snake started rattling at me, I'd probably be freaked out. I would also be freaked out if I happened upon a gator or croc.
I think I'm more afraid of sharks than snakes. I don't live next to an ocean, so that's nice.

Also, I am now afraid of stingrays.

UKWildcat
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Snakes don't really bother me, unless they are poisonous.

I've encountered several poisonous ones too; Copperheads and Cottonmouths here in Virginia. I've only seen a Cottonmouth one time, I am almost certain that's what it was, but it was several years ago. The Copperhead is a little more 'common', but not really common at all, if you know what I mean. You might see one every few years, not all that often.

I've seen a few Rattlesnakes in KY, when I would visit during the summer - years ago, when I was a kid. They are most freaky. One time a friend and I went hiking through the woods to this little cave system at the top of a mountain. When we entered we heard a rattle and then saw the snake. Talk about getting scared sh*tless. We hauled it out of there and never went back. It was crazy. I'd seen several others in KY, but that was the only time that it really scared the crap out of me. Those things are nasty. One time my friends dad killed one and I got to keep the rattle, I don't know what ever happened to it either, I guess I lost it. It was pretty sweet though.

El Chuxter
03-01-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't like them because they trick women into eating apples. Shows how dumb women are.

So the story goes. But, you see, the snake was he and she just climbed right up his tree.

2-1B
03-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Well done, Chux. :D