PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Star Wars games

El Chuxter
02-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm rather surprised I can't find a thread about this already. Interesting.

I am rather behind the times, and got me a Playstation 2 for Christmas. Along with the Playstation, I got Battlefront II.

Circuit City had a killer sale on their cheaper games about two weeks ago, so I picked up Battlefront and ROTS as well. (I'd previously played a bit of each on my brother in law's PS2.)

I already have Bounty Hunter, Clone Wars, and SW Lego for my GameCube, and I'll want to get Lego II for the GameCube simply for the ability to port characters from the first game. I had Jedi Outcast on the GameCube, which was stolen. As it's hella expensive to replace, and the game didn't impress me much, I'm passing on that.

Also, I have Demolition, Jedi Power Battles, and Masters of Teras Kasi from my old-school PS1.

So... what Star Wars games must I get for my PS2, and what should I avoid?

The ones I've found listings for so far are:

Super Bombad Racing: This one looks like it could be either fun or stupid. It's OOP, and a bit expensive, so I definitely want opinions on it before plopping down a lot of dough for a used game.

Starfighter & Jedi Starfighter: I thought these were two different covers for the same game, until it dawned on me that one was a Naboo N-1 and one was an AOTC Jedi Starfighter. I love the simulation-types, and play the hell out of my Rogue Squadron games on the Cube. (I didn't mention them previously, as they're not available on the PS2.) If they're even close, I'm sure these are both vital.

Racer's Revenge: This looks like it's a bit pricey, but the reviews say it's a sequel to Racer, which I thought kicked a**, and some reviews say it tops it. If that's true, another must-have.

The Phantom Menace: Technically for the PS1, but, hey, it's backwards compatible. I always thought the graphics I saw from this looked like it'd be a cool game, but has anyone played it?

Any others I'm missing?

I'm correct in saying that Obi-Wan, KOTOR, KOTOR II, and Republic Commando are XBox exclusives, right?

Also, any definitive word on whether Force Unleashed will be on the PS2? I've heard both yes and no, and it's a tad confusing.

mabudonicus
02-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Played TPM- it's pretty decent for what it is, WAY better than the film, and the lightsaber action is fairly well done, if it's cheap I would definitely say give it a try

Jedi Starfighter- got it for like 12$ CDN and enjoyed it well enough- the game is FUN to play, RS-style, and some of the powers are good, plus it has a lot of dialogue (also like RS) that is fun. My only complaint is the "Structure" of the game- there's ships other than the JSF, but you can only use them on certain missions, you can't just select whatever and go on any mission (tho I don't think I ever fully beat the game- that might change your options come to think of it) But having Jedi powers like force lightning and time-shift while dogfighting is damn cool :beard:Isobaws&

JON9000
02-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I think you have it covered pretty well. Geez, PS1 had some lousy SW titles... Masters of Teras Kasi? Jedi Power Battles? Man, what bunch of dogs.

I thought Episode I was okay, even with the low quality graphics. that was the first game I bought for the PS1, and I didn't realize you could save in the middle of a level. Trying to play through a level without saving is a very big challenge.

The only PS2 titles I bought were Bounty Hunter and and the Battlefront games. I have thought about Legos. For Jedi Starfighter, Racer Revenge and Clone Wars, I already played Rogue Squadron and Racer, and those seem like nothing new.

Slicker
02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd definitely recommend TPM. It's quite fun and actually had some challenging parts.

I've actually got Starfighter at my moms house. I can give it to Cappy and have him send it your way if you want.

Rocketboy
02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Also, any definitive word on whether Force Unleashed will be on the PS2? I've heard both yes and no, and it's a tad confusing.According the game's website (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/), it will be available on PS2 - probably not the same version that comes out on the new systems though.

I liked Jedi Power Battles for the PS1 - very old-school fun.

I liked TPM for PS1, but I tried to play it a month or so ago and it was just painful.

I've never played Super Bombad Racing or Racer Revenge, but what I've read was pretty negative.

DarkArtist
02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Let's see I have:

Battlefront I - love the game but wish you could also play as the main characters as well

Battlefront II - love the whole CTF playing as the Emperor or Luke and just hacking away at everything that stands in my path

Revenge of the Sith - the alternate ending is great "No... The Galaxy is Mine.'

Clone Wars - was a little disappointed in this, beat it in one sitting. cool game but overall not that hard - thought Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was harder.

Star Wars Lego I - great game took a while to beat it even with the players guide.

Star Wars Lego II - better than the first.

The Phantom Menace - great game, hard to beat but worth the time and effort

Rebel Assualt : The Hidden Empire - hard as hell to control the falcon without using the PS2 controller.

Dark Empire - loved the PC version and like the PS version as well

looking to get the rest of the games for PS and PS2 but just haven't had the opportunity yet.

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
I've seen a lot of complaints about Clone Wars and, yes, it was easy.

But I find it a great game to toss in just to blow off steam. Pick a random board, fly (or drive) around, and blow stuff up. And the multiplayer modes are fun, too.

DarkArtist
02-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I've seen a lot of complaints about Clone Wars and, yes, it was easy.

But I find it a great game to toss in just to blow off steam. Pick a random board, fly (or drive) around, and blow stuff up. And the multiplayer modes are fun, too.

Oh I agree it's a great game to just sit and release some steam but I liked the fact that even games like Rogue Squadron( which had some hard levels) are also great for stress relief.

jjreason
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
I find that I'm pretty much always let down by SW games. I have a good number of them myself, but have never completed any of them other than Shadows of the Empire for the N64 and Lego I.

Whoever said they just tried to pop in TPM and found it painful - I had a very similar experience just last week with SW Demolition for PS1.... man, was it terrible. :( Put that PS1 away, and don't look at it again (unless you're going to play Final Fantasy VII that is) :D .