PDA

View Full Version : A Pox on you and your house!

sith_killer_99
02-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, as an added bonus to my lovely trip to Afghanistan I have been fortunate enough to get a series of vaccinations!!!

Anthrax - Covered

Malaria - Covered

Small Pox - Covered

I have been through the Anthrax and Malaria vaccinations before, but the small pox vaccination is a whole other ball game.

Small pox vaccination is a 21 day ordeal. They use live pox and jab the skin of the shoulder 3 times. This causes the skin to blister up and turn an ugly blueish black then scab over before falling off. It itches like crazy blisters oozes and looks nasty.

The US stopped vaccination in 1972 or so, they believed they had eradicated small pox, except for a few samples they kept in labs. But apparently the Soviet Union had stock piled small pox for use as a bio-weapon, this was discovered about 20 years ago. Unfortunatly, several sock piles and scientists disappeared after the collapse, so now we (US Military) all get to under go the vaccination process before we deploy.:rolleyes:

Fun stuff.:love:

JEDIpartner
02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Bleah.... :p

mabudonicus
02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
several sock piles and scientists disappeared after the collapse
so THAT's where all my socks went, I've been wondering for YEARS about that, damn Commies...

Seriously, sounds like... uhhh... not fun, something else.....
:beard:Isobaws&

Rogue II
02-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Defiantly some fun stuff. I had 4 shots of the Anthrax vaccine. They ran out and I wasn't scheduled for another deployment after they got more. They told me even with 4 shots, I am theoretically immune to Anthrax. I'm not that anxious to find out if that is true. When I went to Guyana, we took pills every Monday for the Malaria, then some pills after we got back to repair the damage the first pills may have caused to our livers.

I managed to avoid the Small pox because I got out before they were going to ship me to Iraq. Still, even if I stayed in, I couldn't get the shot because I have had eczema and I had a small kid at home.

sith_killer_99
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I went through the entire series of Anthrax back in 1998-2000, then they stopped giving the shot, now it's back. I had to get a booster, though it's like you said, they really don't know how long the shots are good for.:rolleyes:

so THAT's where all my socks went, I've been wondering for YEARS about that, damn Commies...

Either that or Jim (from American Pie) got a hold of them. LOL:p

JediTricks
02-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Sounds nasty. If you think that's bad though, imagine what kind of treatment you'd have to go through for Big Pox. {rimshot!}

2-1B
02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I thought I was vaccinated against Anthrax but I still found myself Caught in a Mosh.

El Chuxter
02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
You're the man, Cae.

You're so bad you should be in detention.

Whoah! Who-oah!!

Slicker
02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I know that I had to get a 3 part shot against Japanese Encephalitis before I leave for there. I hope I don't have to get any others (I doubt I do) but one never knows...

El Chuxter
02-27-2007, 11:03 PM
They have to give you a shot to keep you from catching that disease that makes you like techno-pop, too.

Slicker
02-27-2007, 11:06 PM
I just hope they don't forget to give me the one that makes me irresistible to 18 year old Japanese girls in school girl outfits...

sith_killer_99
03-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Just be careful, in Japan all of the girls wear those school uniforms and it's hard to tell if they're 18 or 13.:p

Tycho
03-02-2007, 05:20 AM
Just be careful, in Japan all of the girls wear those school uniforms and it's hard to tell if they're 18 or 13.:p

That's what the don't ask, don't tell policy is really for.

Anyway, those of you who serve really have my admiration and best wishes for your taking the risks you take for these vaccinations.

As a person with kidney problems, I can really appreciate the dangers associated with side-effects to your organs (liver or whatnot) like what Rogue II described. That's a very brave thing you guys do independently of whether you ever see combat, etc.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 02:23 PM
That's what the don't ask, don't tell policy is really for.That's what jail is for.

JimJamBonds
03-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I just hope they don't forget to give me the one that makes me irresistible to 18 year old Japanese girls in school girl outfits...

I know them F*o* you *ook me. They were great in Austin Powers III.

2-1B
03-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I thought the new Mike Myers vehicle is called Austin Powers the Third ? :confused:

JimJamBonds
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I thought the new Mike Myers vehicle is called Austin Powers the Third ? :confused:

No that is Shrek the Third.