PDA

View Full Version : Force Unleashed = New Shadows of the Empire

DarkArtist
02-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Was just thinking, does anyone else think that this Force Unleashed line will become the new Shadows of the Empire line ? Look at the similarites between the two:

Shadows of the Empire:

Novel
Video Game
Soundtrack
Action Figure Line
Comic Book Series
Making of Shadows of the Empire

Force Unleashed:

Making of Force Unleashed
Video Game
Action Figure Line
Rumored Comic Book Series
Rumored Novel

it just makes me think that Hasbro is trying to recreate Shadows and is hoping that perhaps Unleashed will do better then it's first attempt to create a major undertaking of EU.

I know alot of people are not pleased with the EU and Force Unleashed but besides what we have seen and what we know of Shadows what are your thoughts on the matter ?

El Chuxter
02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, first, the comic book and novel have been confirmed, but not yet by official LFL sources.

Second, I think the Stormtroopers, Royal Guard, and Vader will sell, though they're incredibly stupid. The others will give new meaning to the word "pegwarm."

JEDIpartner
02-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I have absolutely zero interest in these or anything tied into this line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I certainly hope it will work better. Clone Wars was similar, but it had the support of the films and the cartoon, as well as several novels and games instead of just one of each as is the case with SOTE and FU (tee hee).

jjreason
02-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm only buying whooped Vader from this line, and possibly a Samurai Jedi if I like him in person. I'll likely buy the game, but I'm not buying SW novels or comics these days, and I'm expecting that trend to continue. :D

JediTricks
02-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I enjoyed SOTE in its various forms as Star Wars-lite, and I expect I'll enjoy "FU" here about as much, although my tolerance for crappy Star Wars has been dulled by the prequels so maybe I'll enjoy it more. :p

General_Grievous
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll buy the game and, in all likelihood, constantly play it, but I will not buy any of the other tie ins they have with the game.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-27-2007, 10:34 PM
The figures look cool, and I'll get the books and comics (when they become available in TPB form). However, I'm way behind on my Star Wars reading, so may not read them anytime soon. I'd like to get the game, but I don't think I'll be buying a next-gen console this year.

Slicker
02-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I think alot of us have been making the SOTE parallel from the start and it's quite accurate, IMO.

I may play the game but I don't like reading Star Wars EU. It's not the fact that I don't like it but it just seems that everyone and there brother is a Jedi, Sith, force-user, force sensitive, etc. There just aren't any average people (like Han) in any of the books it seems. (I know I'm making a generalization since, I would hope, they have regular people in 'em).

I just have always thought of the Jedi as being very few and when they have all of these people come out of nowhere (Aurra Stink) and become Jedi it kinda cheapens it for me.

El Chuxter
02-27-2007, 11:58 PM
I want to enter one of those "What's the story?" things at starwars.com with the following entry:

"This is Frank. Frank is rather boring. Frank is not a bounty hunter, nor is he a Jedi or a Sith. Frank has never been involved in a speeder chase, nor did he build an assassin droid. Frank is not the secret child of the Queen of some forgotten planet. No, Frank is just a normal, everyday accountant in the Republic Department of Health and Sentient Services. He just so happened to be hanging around at a nerf taco stand outside the Coruscant Opera house, waiting for his wife to pick him up from work, when Anakin Skywalker walked by. Didn't even recognize the guy, because Frank likes to watch soap operas, not the news. Frank never realized that this was his one brush with greatness, and died of old age in a convalescent home forty years later. How sad for Frank."

Kidhuman
02-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Carp in a bubble. Thats my opinion of the figures.

bigbarada
02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I want to enter one of those "What's the story?" things at starwars.com with the following entry:

"This is Frank. Frank is rather boring. Frank is not a bounty hunter, nor is he a Jedi or a Sith. Frank has never been involved in a speeder chase, nor did he build an assassin droid. Frank is not the secret child of the Queen of some forgotten planet. No, Frank is just a normal, everyday accountant in the Republic Department of Health and Sentient Services. He just so happened to be hanging around at a nerf taco stand outside the Coruscant Opera house, waiting for his wife to pick him up from work, when Anakin Skywalker walked by. Didn't even recognize the guy, because Frank likes to watch soap operas, not the news. Frank never realized that this was his one brush with greatness, and died of old age in a convalescent home forty years later. How sad for Frank."

:cry: That's beautiful. I want a Super-Articulated Frank action figure.:p

Phantom-like Menace
02-28-2007, 01:53 AM
You know, I have the slightest inkling that some people here think EU will be the death of Star Wars.:rolleyes:

There are only insignificant similarities between Force Unleashed and SotE. Why do I say this? (Cue glib answer) No one would even consider comparing the two if there were no toy line for Force Unleashed. That is the only similarity that even matters to this topic, and it doesn't make for much similarity.

I'm going to give some handy pointers to the haters, though. If Force Unleashed toys sell as well as the Clone Wars figures, you can ignore that success just like you ignore the Clone Wars figures' success. Also if three or four of the seven figures from Force Unleashed sell very well while the other three or four pegwarm, you can ignore similar percentages of sellers versus pegwarmers in individual waves of movie figures. Also, if all else fails, you can point to the fact that Shadows of the Empire figures sold poorly.

Also, if Force Unleashed figures sell well, I'm willing to concede the fact that they have been put out in drastically smaller quanties than SotE figures, and that they would have pegwarmed just as badly if Hasbro over saturated the market with them. I'll also point out that several figures in the line are easy sell "cool army builders," so they were easy pitches lobbed to appeal to non-EU fans.

If Force Unleashed does as poorly as people seem to think it will do, I think a fitting celebratory act for all those who hate EU would be to start numerous threads each week about how much EU sucks and will be the end of Star Wars.:rolleyes:

bigbarada
02-28-2007, 02:13 AM
I think a fitting celebratory act for all those who hate EU would be to start numerous threads each week about how much EU sucks and will be the end of Star Wars.:rolleyes:

Consider it done! :thumbsup:

:p

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 02:22 AM
1) EU will not be the death of Star Wars.

2) Some--a lot, even--of EU is silly and even more based on unbelievable coincidence than The Phantom Menace. Some--again, a lot--is better than the prequels.

3) The Clone Wars did amazingly well. I wouldn't mind seeing it continued until every possible character is produced.

4) The comparison between SOTE and TFU is entirely based upon the similarities of the marketing strategies, with nothing to do with the content. In both examples, a toyline, graphic novel, novel, and videogame were planned far in advance of release of the flagship (the novel for SOTE, the game for TFU). It's not too much of a stretch to think that, as with SOTE, the core characters (and repaints, like the black Royal Guard) from TFU will sell well, and the others will give Xizor a run for his money in the pegwarming department.

Why? Because LucasArts and Hasbro are banking on a lot of gamers crossing over and buying the figures, because a lot of gamers collect toys. Well, guess what? I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of gamers who collect toys already collect Star Wars! Kids won't be excited to get these, EU haters won't be excited to get these, and EU lovers who don't have $500+ to plop down on a next generation console won't be excited to get these. But maybe that one toy collecting gamer from Hoboken who doesn't already collect SW and wants the Samurai Jedi will make all the difference. :rolleyes:

I don't want EU toys to fail. I have a laundry list of characters I want. I'm just not sure that putting so much EU emphasis on one particular aspect (in this case, video games) in a single year is a wise idea.

Oh, yeah, and the S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him-P**** Vader still is dumber than any of the idiots on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

Phantom-like Menace
02-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Some--a lot, even--of EU is silly and even more based on unbelievable coincidence than The Phantom Menace.

Darth Vader built C-3PO?

I don't want EU toys to fail. I have a laundry list of characters I want.

No, I consider you "one of the good ones.":razz: Sorry, I had to, though in seriousness I don't lump you in with the EU haters.

Oh, yeah, and the S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him-P**** Vader still is dumber than any of the idiots on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

I don't know if I ever mentioned I really have no intention of buying him. Just looking at him as a figure, I have no need for a S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him-P**** Vader.

I want every other figure whether I ever play the game or not. I have to get the two Jedi, because thus far I have one of every Jedi character ever made (save Stass Allie, because I really don't care whether or not Adi Gallia looked different in subsequent movies), and these two are fine additions to the party. I want the stormtroopers because they are just cool looking. I don't care if they are 3 3/4" figures of troopers from Star Trek: Enterprise! I want them. The Shadow Guard figure will look cool with the EU Carnor Jax and Kir Kanos figures. Juno Eclipse, aside from having a crappy name will be purchased just for variety if nothing more.

plasticfetish
02-28-2007, 04:01 AM
it just makes me think that Hasbro is trying to recreate Shadows and is hoping that perhaps Unleashed will do better then it's first attempt to create a major undertaking of EU.When you say "Hasbro is trying to recreate Shadows," you mean... create a few toys based on a Lucas EU project, right? (Hasbro didn't create Force Unleashed, and Kenner didn't come up with the whole Shadows of the Empire concept. They just make toys.)

-----

I didn't have anything to do with the whole Shadows of the Empire thing. I was busy working and having a kid that year, and frankly, I didn't own a Nintendo 64, so I wasn't going to be playing the game (or reading books, etc.) But, I will be buying an Xbox 360 at some point. I'll probably buy Force Unleashed, because I've enjoyed almost all of the games that Lucas Arts has kicked out in the last few years, and if the game related figures are fun, then I'll probably buy them as well.

All of this, "I don't like the EU" business is starting to get old. At this point, I'm not sure how anyone can really define "extended universe" as opposed to just plain old Star Wars, which has been pretty extended in general since 1983.

Get over it guys. At this point Star Wars is as much about the EU (if not more) as it is anything else. You don't have to like everything (or anything), but seriously, try not to be so critical 'til you've seen the final product. This new game could be great, or it could suck... and that will determine the success of the toys, comic books, plush figures, Happy Meal prizes or whatever.

Why? Because Lucas Arts and Hasbro are banking on a lot of gamers crossing over and buying the figures, because a lot of gamers collect toys.Lucas Arts and Hasbro are betting that if they sell 2 million copies of Force Unleashed, that perhaps a decent percentage of those game players will buy the toys also. Think about the dollars that ROTS brought in, and then think about the money that the more recent Lucas Arts games have made. The audience is the same, and it's not crazy to assume that they're largely the same crowd buying the toys also... regardless of age, because the whole fan demographic is pretty broad. (The fact that some of you still insist that kids aren't interested in Star Wars, and that it's only the 25-45 year old fans that keep this ball rolling, is amazing to me.)

SOTE and Force Unleashed have their similarities, but the biggest difference is that the audience for all things Star Wars has grown and evolved a great deal in the past ten years. Ten years ago, the SOTE toys were simply a way to help market and promote a concept. Now, the toys will be a reaction to something that pretty much sells itself. As far as I'm concerned, Hasbro should have been doing video game inspired figures back when KOTOR took off.

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I know kids buy SW. I see them in the toy aisle every time I go.

But how many of those kids will have $600 video game consoles? Sadly, some will. (Okay, "sadly" isn't exactly the right word, but there will be some families where the XBox 360 cost more than the family car, which does show an imbalance of priorities.)

And I will admit that, at the last two Comic-Con Q&A's I've been to, Hasbro reps tended to pick kids over collectors (I guess they got sick of hearing "What's the deal with Yarna?"), and, almost without exception, the kids have asked when they would make Clonetrooper Whatever from the Battlefront game.

I don't think any game can ever match the colossal appeal of an actual SW film. (Or TV show, for that matter.)

DarkArtist
02-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I know kids buy SW. I see them in the toy aisle every time I go.

But how many of those kids will have $600 video game consoles? Sadly, some will. (Okay, "sadly" isn't exactly the right word, but there will be some families where the XBox 360 cost more than the family car, which does show an imbalance of priorities.)

And I will admit that, at the last two Comic-Con Q&A's I've been to, Hasbro reps tended to pick kids over collectors (I guess they got sick of hearing "What's the deal with Yarna?"), and, almost without exception, the kids have asked when they would make Clonetrooper Whatever from the Battlefront game.

I don't think any game can ever match the colossal appeal of an actual SW film. (Or TV show, for that matter.)

unless of course Lucas uses the Force Unleashed Platform in the two TV series. Also on the official site for Frce Unleashed I believe they are going to release the game for PS2 as well.

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I've heard yay and nay on the PS2 version. The current rumor is that it will be available (and on the PSP and DS as well), but it will have to be converted by another group. (I just play them sometimes; I have no idea how it works.)

If that is the case (and you're saying it's on the official site, so it probably is), then it makes a little more sense.

Vader is still stupider than Snoova, though.

Slicker
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I know I'm in with PLM's EU haters (and that's fine. I am) but I actually think that the Vader that Chux, the EU supporter, hates looks awesome. When I first saw pictures I said I would even buy two of them so I can open one. The last figure I opened was TSC Vader Hoth...and that was only because I had bought an extra. I can't remember the last time I opened a figure because it was good looking.

As for the Clone Wars, I don't consider that EU since there was a TV show. I'm weird like that. I have to have visuals to make it not EU. For me Droids, Ewoks, and yes, the Holiday Special I don't consider EU because everyone was given a face...and not everyone was a Jedi...

I'll definitely play this game, although probably will not read the novel, because I've seen many demo videos and the gameplay looks great (although as we've seen in the OT, beating Stormies isn't THAT tough) and the graphics are very nice.

DarkArtist
02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Vader is still stupider than Snoova, though.

my only thing with Vader is if he can't survive without the helmet for long periods of time then how can he survive. I mean from the looks of the figure, he really did get his *** handed to him the helmet is destroyed yet there he is walking around like it's a sunny day at the beach.

pbarnard
02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
my only thing with Vader is if he can't survive without the helmet for long periods of time then how can he survive. I mean from the looks of the figure, he really did get his *** handed to him the helmet is destroyed yet there he is walking around like it's a sunny day at the beach.

Everyone does realize that this is based off a video game first and foremost and in the realm of their story telling/game play they never have to follow any of the continuity (movie or EU)?

DarkArtist
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Everyone does realize that this is based off a video game first and foremost and in the realm of their story telling/game play they never have to follow any of the continuity (movie or EU)?

true but Lucas still has a hand in it. Whether it follows the movie or not it still has to have some sort of continuity with established storyline. unless it's considered to be an elseworlds or infinties type story it's still a part of the complete story arc.

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Don'tcha just love saying "FU", though? :p

Jargo
02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't give a rats poop for the story or game or comics or any of that nonsense. but i do know a good looking action figure when i see one and some of those force unleashed figures are nicer than stuff we get regularly. I can totally dig the ideaof royal guards in black. red is a bit conspicuous on covert missions after all. I'm starting to like the female imperial officer or whatever. and the feisty alien chick who looks like she'd beat the carp out of chewbacca.
UIt surprises me how I'm liking these, but after so many clonetroopers I'm just grateful to see something different.

pbarnard
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
UIt surprises me how I'm liking these, but after so many clonetroopers I'm just grateful to see something different.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're giving away Hasbro's super secret insider information.

Phantom-like Menace
02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
I know I'm in with PLM's EU haters

Perish the thought. You're not with the EU haters. . . . They're with you.;) You, sir, are the ringleader.:razz:

DarkArtist
02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Don'tcha just love saying "FU", though? :p

I have to admit that is rather amusing !lol lol lol :laugh:

Darth Cruel
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I am niether a lover of "EU" nor am I a hater. It seems to me that there are plenty of haters without me joining in.

I am, however, I lover of Star Wars FIGURES. Any and all Star Wars figures are welcome in my collection with enthusiasm. The more Star Wars figures we have, the more that can be done with them. And I particularly enjoy the diversity that is injected into the displaying of the figures with the addition of more and more characters, "canon" or "EU".

General_Grievous
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
true but Lucas still has a hand in it. Whether it follows the movie or not it still has to have some sort of continuity with established storyline. unless it's considered to be an elseworlds or infinties type story it's still a part of the complete story arc.

Did he have a hand in "Super Bombad Racing"? That game was an embarrassment.

DarkArtist
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Did he have a hand in "Super Bombad Racing"? That game was an embarrassment.

I would imagine that he would be responsible for anything that had to do with Star Wars, from books, to games, to toys, to clothes etc. Afterall he is the creator of Star Wars and as such would have the final say on what can carry the SW logo.

Darth Cruel
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Through a team, I imagine. If GL was giving the final go-ahead for every Star Wars product made...well...he just couldn't possibly have that much time. Reviewing every book, game, toy, food, novelty, magazine...et al ad nauseum. And then making movies, and TV shows on top of that...

TheCivilCollector
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm kinda hoping that as many of you that say they won't in fact DON'T buy them. That way, I'll actually have a chance at finding them somewhere (unlike any Clone Wars stuff).

Face it, everyone complained about Clone Wars, but had no problems buying the stores out of clones, droids, and ARC Troopers. Hell, I never even saw a Assajj, Durge, or any army builder sets at retail. I managed to get a yoda and a Mace, and had to ebay for the rest.

Not to mention the EU figures that came out during the POTJ2 days. I thankfully got them because I happened to be at a Target right when they put out a case. Never saw them again.

Or, the McQuarrie stormy. NEVER saw that at retail, most likely won't for the 30th annv. collection, either.

Hmmm.... I never found Scorch at retail, either.

Given that alot of collectors say they hate EU, Hasbro certainly doesn't seem to have a problem moving them. In fact, the only EU figs I ever remember being easy to find were the SOTE figs, and out of those, only Bounty hunter Chewie, Xizor, and Dash Rendar seemed to warm pegs in my area.

I love EU. Fresh takes on old characters and interesting new characters for the shelf. Honestly, unless they start REALLY mining the cantina denziens, or (gasp) actually release Yarna, the Tonika Sisters and the Ice Cream Maker guy, they're getting close to done with the OT. Prequels? sure, they could come up with some more, but nobody earth-shattering.

DarkArtist
03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm kinda hoping that as many of you that say they won't in fact DON'T buy them. That way, I'll actually have a chance at finding them somewhere (unlike any Clone Wars stuff).

Face it, everyone complained about Clone Wars, but had no problems buying the stores out of clones, droids, and ARC Troopers. Hell, I never even saw a Assajj, Durge, or any army builder sets at retail. I managed to get a yoda and a Mace, and had to ebay for the rest.

Not to mention the EU figures that came out during the POTJ2 days. I thankfully got them because I happened to be at a Target right when they put out a case. Never saw them again.

Or, the McQuarrie stormy. NEVER saw that at retail, most likely won't for the 30th annv. collection, either.

Hmmm.... I never found Scorch at retail, either.

Given that alot of collectors say they hate EU, Hasbro certainly doesn't seem to have a problem moving them. In fact, the only EU figs I ever remember being easy to find were the SOTE figs, and out of those, only Bounty hunter Chewie, Xizor, and Dash Rendar seemed to warm pegs in my area.

I love EU. Fresh takes on old characters and interesting new characters for the shelf. Honestly, unless they start REALLY mining the cantina denziens, or (gasp) actually release Yarna, the Tonika Sisters and the Ice Cream Maker guy, they're getting close to done with the OT. Prequels? sure, they could come up with some more, but nobody earth-shattering.

I agree with alot of what you stated in your post. I for one am a huge EU fan and love the take that other authors and artists have brought the the Star Wars Universe.