PDA

View Full Version : All this anti-obesity crap is p***ing me off!

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I know there's a problem with a large percentage of people being overweight.

I know that in some cases it's not a person's fault, and, in others, it's because of unhealthy lifestyle choices.

And, yes, something needs to be done, especially among kids.

Trans-fats are bad, and can be replaced with healthier alternatives without compromising taste.

That said, I want to ****ing strangle all these numb***s who go about on a crusade to eliminate fast food.

The latest is Prince Charles, the Alfred E Neuman looking MF who aspires to being a tampon (his words, not mine--don't believe me, look it up), who thinks McDonalds should be totally banned.

Why not tell your subjects that it's not good for you and to eat it in moderation? You're the frigging Prince. They'll listen to you, and they don't care if you had your ex-wife axed so you can be king someday. You're like England's Tom Cruise, except you haven't jumped around like a monkey on Oprah, so far as I know.

You know what? I agree with taking soda machines out of schools, and requiring that the lunches be balanced. (When exactly did they stop being balanced meals?)

But because of these half-wit crusaders, I can't order a frigging Supersized Value Meal at McDonalds anymore. Same burger, bigger drink, bigger order of fries. Y'know, I used to order one Super Value Meal and an extra burger and split the damn fries with someone else! Now, that's not an option. And why? Some absolute moron made a film about how he gained weight by eating nothing but McDonalds for a month.

Guess what? You're a brain-dead Planet of the Apes class imbecile, buddy. You must have been dropped on your head from a remarkable height to think that eating nothing but fried meat slabs on a bread substitute for a month would improve your health. You need to go on that stupid Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader show. You might get lucky and win twenty bucks or so.

I'm not stupid. I eat healthy about 90% of the time. But sometimes, I want a deep-fried slab of meat from an indeterminate animal, placed between two pieces of bread substitute and drowned in Thousand Island dressing.

Do I do this every day? No. Because it's not good for you.

And it's not particularly hard to see that, or to make others see it.

So why don't these idiots with an axe to grind just work on public awareness instead of trying to take my ****ing cheeseburgers away from me?

:mad:

jjreason
02-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Because most people aren't smart, Chux, and a large percentage of those who aren't smart ARE smart enough to start calling the Johnny Cochranes of the world when they wake up one day and realize they can't get out of bed due to their immense fattitude.

I don't like constantly being beaten over the head with it either (and I'd suggest that up here in Canada, because we have public healthcare, we get an even healthier dose of these warnings), but it's important for the powers to at least be able to say they told us so. That puts the burgers on our buns, so to speak, and takes our ability to blame anyone else away.

Since I can see your vexed, I'll apologize on behalf of the millions of idiots who just don't understand that eating this way and failing to exercise is bad for their health.

And you know what? I liked that movie. Morgan Spurlock never suggested he'd be fine eating that carp for a month, he was on a mission to prove just how bad it was.... and he found that it was even worse than he could have imagined. :(

Slicker
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
It seems that people NEED someone to tell them it's not healthy before they do something. It seems that no one is proactive anymore. They'll just sit back and try and breeze through life wanting everyone to do everything for them. They know that McDonalds is bad for them yet they still eat it and won't stop until something like this happens.

I for one have a great metabolism and could literally eat this stuff everyday and not gain a pound. That does NOT however mean that I'm healthy. During the week my roommate and I try to cook our meals here both so we know what's in it and to save money. On the weekends we do splurge by going to restaurants with friends to eat. So we basically eliminate any healthy benefits to eating decent meals during the week but whatever.

Jargo
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I couldn't give a flying @*$! anymore. if people want to be obese and die early, then let em. if people want to eat the vegan way and look grey and thin and ill and also die early, let em. I don't care anymore. people are dumb @*&$%()$ and if they don't educate themselves enough to know what's good and healthy then screw em, let em destroy themselves. call it survival of the fittest. :whip:

stillakid
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I couldn't give a flying @*$! anymore. if people want to be obese and die early, then let em. if people want to eat the vegan way and look grey and thin and ill and also die early, let em. I don't care anymore. people are dumb @*&$%()$ and if they don't educate themselves enough to know what's good and healthy then screw em, let em destroy themselves. call it survival of the fittest. :whip:

Stop holding back and tell us what you really think.

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Laws and restrictions are made for the stupid because they don't have the sense to make these helpful choices on their own.

As for you... I can see your point in this matter. It's not like they haven't been told. It's the same with smokers and heavy-drinkers.

Kidhuman
02-28-2007, 07:24 PM
On what JP said:

I smoke and know its bad for me. I dont fool anyone by trying to hide it. I try not to smoke around my kids in the same room with them and usually have windows open when weather is feasible for it. I know it will kill me, but it is something I enjoy. I have "taken a hiatus" from smoking many times but usually had other stuff to fall back on like weed. I dont smoke it anymore, so its a bit harder to quit now. But I am not ready to quit it, so I will do so until I am ready. I do respect other people and not smoke in their cars, homes or whatever if they dont want me to. But thats off topic.

Fast food: I mean honestly, are people really to ignorant to the fact that it is bad for you when eaten in large amounts? I know its bad, but used to eat it alot becuase it was fast and convinient. I have stopped eating it as much as I did when I was younger. I still enjoy a double cheeseburger every so often or a chicken sandwich. Mickey D's does need to be banned, if thats the case get rid of Applebees and the like, becuase its fried food and alcohol which is bad for you also.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
I can't eat fast food anymore, it makes me feel ill. I don't think it should be banned but I also don't think my tax dollars should be used to subsidize the health care of people who eat this stuff.

I liked Supersize Me, it was a fun movie. I probably could have gone without seeing the guy getting a colonoscopy, though.

Rocketboy
02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
The latest is Prince Charles, the Alfred E Neuman looking MF who aspires to being a tampon (his words, not mine--don't believe me, look it up), who thinks McDonalds should be totally banned.What's an MF?

2-1B
02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Marvelous Fellow

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
What's an MF?

Martian Feces. :tired:

2-1B
02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
But sometimes, I want a deep-fried slab of meat from an indeterminate animal, placed between two pieces of bread substitute and drowned in Thousand Island dressing.

Surely you are not comparing the very different McDonald's Secret Sauce to regular over the counter Thousand Island dressing??? :eek:

Tycho
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Chux, I'm not sure I'm getting it: are you angry about something?

sith_killer_99
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
You know what? I agree with taking soda machines out of schools

Hmm, I am undecided on that issue. When I went to High School we didn't have soda machines in the school, but we just walked across the street and bought them anyway. We didn't have an obesity problem.

and requiring that the lunches be balanced. (When exactly did they stop being balanced meals?)

Ahhhh, see here is a little problem. In my day they stressed the importance of a balanced meal. Now it turns out the f'd up the "food pyramid" and some have even suggested that the old system actually contributes to diabetes!:eek:

What's the old saying, darned if you do and darned if you don't!

people are dumb @*&$%()$ and if they don't educate themselves enough to know what's good and healthy then screw em, let em destroy themselves.

A good point, but again, "educate" yourself on which philosophy? 20 years ago nutrition was viewed very differently, trans-fat was unknown. Even the food pyramid today is different. Sure much of it is common sense, but some of it isn't so cut and dry. Who knows, 20 years from now people may be saying stuff like "how could you not know organically grown food was good for you and that other stuff was carp" or "how could they not have labeled genetically altered food".

Again, it really doesn't take a genius to figure out that sitting down and eating a box of Ritz crackers loaded with easy cheese is bad for you, though I did it many times when I was in my 20's! What's just as reckless is sitting around on your lazy rear not getting any exercise.

I think some of the problems we see today are a combination of both, bad eating and lack of exercise.

In any event, they should no more ban Micky D's than they should be able to tell a business owner that they cannot allow smoking in a building that they own, lease, etc.

Yet, we as a society allow them to get away with this garbage. Public sentiment turn one way and people follow like mindless sheep.