PDA

View Full Version : Terry Gilliam on CGI and Star Wars

scruffziller
02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I found this rather compelling.
----------------------------------

-Terry Gilliam;quote-

(on future use of CGI in his films) "Nooo! Leave that to George Lucas, he' s really mastered the CGI acting. That scares me! I hate it! Everybody is so pleased and excited by it. Animation is animation. Animation is great. But it's when you're now taking what should be films full of people, living thinking, breathing, flawed creatures and you're controlling every moment of that, it's just death to me. It's death to cinema, I can't watch those Star Wars films, they're dead things."

Jargo
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Lucas hasn't mastered anything, his employees have. Lucas doesn't know his arse from his elbow where CGI is concerned. Which is why he pays people to create it for him.
Lucas is just a fat man employing talented people and raking the profits in from his employees work. he's only the master of the purse strings.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Dear Terry Gilliam- Nobody cares about your opinion on Lucas or CGI. Concentrate on your own work and try to make a decent movie cos "The Brothers Grimm" was awful. Here's an idea: find a way to get your Don Quixote movie made as it seemed like it could've been fantastic.

Yours,
Mike

P.S.- your facial expressions as Patsy still crack me up. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Gilliam is absolutely right, digital characters are dead cinema, it's all about crafting phony expressions and performances - it's a phony version of fakery.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Too bad he didn't feel this way before "The Brothers Grimm" - God, that was some of the worst CGI I've ever seen.

Edit - what the hell? I posted this after reading JON9000 and Chux's posts, yet mine is appearing above theirs.

JON9000
02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Gilliam is absolutely right, digital characters are dead cinema, it's all about crafting phony expressions and performances - it's a phony version of fakery.

Do you mean this in the context live action combined with CGI or all CGI? Regardless of what one may think about combo films like Star Wars, I'll go out on a limb and say the characters in "Finding Nemo" were, at least to me, warm, expressive, and extremely life-like.

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Pixar and Dreamworks are, so far, the only studios able to pull it off.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
I can't watch those Star Wars films

That's exactly how I feel about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
What a POS that movie was...

JediTricks
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Do you mean this in the context live action combined with CGI or all CGI? Regardless of what one may think about combo films like Star Wars, I'll go out on a limb and say the characters in "Finding Nemo" were, at least to me, warm, expressive, and extremely life-like.Animated films are a different kind of cinema, they're a stylized take on the material, not intended to supplant realism.

stillakid
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Animated films are a different kind of cinema, they're a stylized take on the material, not intended to supplant realism.

...or use the word "supplant."