PDA

View Full Version : I've discovered proof that the earth is flat!

Tycho
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
The Flat Earth Society (http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm) has dedicated itself to dispelling the myth that the earth is spherical in nature.

I can't tell you how many times I've walked outside and looked across the horizon and I never saw the curve of the earth.

I've taken boats and planes a lot of places and never reached the edge, but that doesn't mean it's not there and that I wouldn't have fallen off of it if I kept going.

Maybe you have to be "born different" to see that the earth is flat and the majority of people have some kind of problem with their eyes? Convex lenses? I'm not sure.

But join me for Flat Earth Pride and let's have a parade and tell people we are no longer shamed to hide the truth: the earth is flat!

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Maybe you have to be "born different" to see that the earth is flat and the majority of people have some kind of problem with their eyes? Convex lenses? I'm not sure.

It's those damned meteor rocks I tell ya!!

LusiferSam
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
But join me for Flat Earth Pride and let's have a parade and tell people we are no longer shamed to hide the truth: the earth is flat!

I'll do no such thing! I was born a Round Earther and I'll die a Round Earther. It will take more than some crackpot web sites with crackpot theory that have such gaping holes in them you could drive a small moon through to my believes.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
would the small moon being driven be Flat, by chance ? lol

bigbarada
03-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Wow, this is....:crazed:

Tycho
03-01-2007, 02:20 AM
But there's all these people that claim to believe in different things that they say the KNOW to be true, but they can't come up with a shred of evidence for - or they cite some pseudo science proof - and ask for laymen's observations in order to tell themselves what is true. "Go outside and look around at everything," they say.

Well when I went outside just a little while ago, I looked around, and the earth was flat. My own senses tell me this to be true!

Yup. I must have been born this way: a Flat-Earther. See, I don't think people can just one day decide that they're going to claim the earth is flat. They must be possessed of the conviction in their hearts. Now I want to share my life with another that believes the earth is flat. But people are already lining up to disprove my convictions even when I didn't ask them to. I honestly think we need to organize a parade to celebrate our freedom from the shackles of tradition and ignorance and celebrate the Flat-Earth. We need to teach kids in school that some people have re-theorized the earth is flat, and account the historical figures who believed so - like Christopher Columbus originally did. I propose we have Flat-Earth History Month. Yes, that's it!

LTBasker
03-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Reading some stuff on that site actually made me start staring blankly...it was so dumb. oh so dumb. my mind will shut down if i ever see that again.

Gotta love how they use gravity to explain one of their theories and then completely abandon the concept of gravity to make another.

Do you suppose to be a flat-earther you have to be flat-chested?

Tycho
03-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Do you suppose to be a flat-earther you have to be flat-chested?

Of course not! That would be no fun for obvious reasons. ;)

darthvyn
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Once again, picture in your mind a round world. Now imagine that there are two people on this world, one at each pole. For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole. But for the person at the South Pole, shouldn't gravity pull him down as well? What keeps our person at the South Pole from falling completely off the face of the "globe"?

:ermm:

that's awesome.

EDIT: reading through some of that stuff, it's obviously a gag... akin to the "real ultimate power" sites and such.

bigbarada
03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
:ermm:

that's awesome.

EDIT: reading through some of that stuff, it's obviously a gag... akin to the "real ultimate power" sites and such.

Once I saw their survey:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm
I knew that it was clearly a satire.

Probably aimed at Creationists. :mad:

CaptainSolo1138
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll never recognize Missour-a!

LTBasker
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Of course not! That would be no fun for obvious reasons. ;)

My dear Tycho, you can't deny one sphere and have the other. By the logic presented by the flat earthians, you would never be able to hold on to a spherical chest.

Come to us Tycho, join the spheres. Harness the spheres. Immerse yourself in the spheres... :twisted:

Dar' Argol
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I love the disclaimer on the main page

The Flat Earth Society is not in any way responsible for the failure of the French to repel the Germans at the Maginot Line during WWII. Nor is the Flat Earth Society responsible for the recent yeti sightings outside the Vatican, or for the unfortunate enslavement of the Nabisco Inc. factory employees by a rogue hamster insurrectionist group. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the loss of one or more of the following, which may possibly occur as the result of exposing one's self to the dogmatic and dangerously subversive statements made within: life, limb, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, smell, touch, thumb, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, spleen, bedrock, cloves, I Love Lucy reruns, toaster, pine derby racer, toy duck, antelope, horseradish, prosthetic ankle, double-cheeseburger, tin foil, limestone, watermelon-scented air freshner, sanity, paprika, German to Pig Latin dictionary, dish towel, pet Chihuahua, pogo stick, Golf Digest subscription, floor tile, upper torso or halibut.

LusiferSam
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh, it gets better with a few random Babel Fish translations.

The plan of the company of the land is not in no responsible way for the lack French it to reject with German in the line of Maginot during WWII. Nor it is the plan of the company of the responsible land for sightings recent of yeti it are of the Vatican, or enslavement unhappy of the employees of the plant of Nabisco Inc. a group of insurrectionist of the hamster of supplicates it. Moreover, we are not responsible for the loss for one or more than they follow, that he can probably occur as the result that displays same its to the subversive done interior of the indications dogmatic and dangerous: life, member, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, perfume, tact, count, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, lack, basic rock, pregos, I taste of what he is reruns of Lucy, why to toaster of the will of the east, the runner of derby of the pine, the duck of the toy, the antelope, radish pricking, the prosthetic ankle, the double-cheeseburger, the leaf of the can, the rock calcareous, melon of water of freshner scented of air, sanity of the will it, paprika, German with the dictionary latin of the pig, the towel of the plate, the animal Chihuahua domestic servant, with small pole with the subscript of the summary of golf, square of the stage, torso higher or halibut.

Tycho
03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
That made me dizzy while reading it, LusiferSam.

LusiferSam
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
That made me dizzy while reading it, LusiferSam.

Dizzy like you're riding a spinning object? Or dizzy like you've too much to drink?

Tycho
03-01-2007, 11:07 PM
It must be something in my water...

sith_killer_99
03-01-2007, 11:51 PM
But there's all these people that claim to believe in different things that they say the KNOW to be true, but they can't come up with a shred of evidence for - or they cite some pseudo science proof - and ask for laymen's observations in order to tell themselves what is true. "Go outside and look around at everything," they say.

Kinda like Al Gore and his little "Global Warming" video.:D ;) :p

***Disclaimer***

The preceding comment was meant in jest. It is in no way shape or form meant to be "political". Face it, it was just funny, no matter which way you look at it. Beyond that you no longer need to read any more of this post. Honestly, I have nothing more to say. Well, nothing of interest anyway. I suppose I could just keep on typing here and see who bothers to read the entire post. I am sure that someone is willing to go through that kind of agony, though I can't imagine why. I mean, I'm not even going to place a break in paragraphs here. Which personally I find to be extremely annoying. It makes posts difficult to read and it's just plain hard on the eyes...ooops, I just wrote hard on, I hope that doesn't get me banned. Ooooh, I wonder if anyone will read through all of this and then post a point by point using actual quotes from this post. That would be funny and kinda cool. I doubt it will happen though. Most people just keep right on scrolling by when they see a long post like this, then they usually end up re-posting the same thoughts and ideas and wonder why no one responds to them. Hmmmm, maybe because it was just discussed 2 pages ago. Anyway read on if you dare but be warned I'll just keep going and going. That's because I have no life and very little self respect. You see I secretly crave the attention of others, it makes me feel good about myself. Okay, I made that up, but I have run into some folks who do that. They are sad sad people. Anyway, I could really go for some pizza right now. I love pizza, seriously I could eat it everyday and not get tired of it, thin crust pizza, thick crust, hand tossed, pepperoni, sausage, cheese, ham, olive; pizza is just so versatile. In fact it's fair to say that pizza is natures perfect food. On a side note I just brought back my Tigh Avatar, along with a kick arse quote. I hope everyone likes it. My wife actually made it with Photoshop. She's very talented, my wife, designing websites, layouts, banners, icons, avatars, etc. She wants to get her degree in graphics art design. Oooh, I could really go for some ice cream right now, maybe something from Coldstone, they make great ice cream. Are you seriously still reading this? I mean who would do something like that, what are you, OCD or something. I told you I had nothing legitimate to say and yet you continue to read this like it's going to get any better. Seriously I think you may need help. But I can see you are hooked now, determined to finish this stupid thing. Like finishing it will somehow justify the time you wasted reading something I told you not to bother with. My cousin was bitten by a moose once. Now, mind you a moose bite can be very painful. My wife thinks I should end this post by say "In conclusion, Katee Sackhoff is hot." But there is a problem with that line, yes Katee is hot, but Tricia Helfer, Grace Park and Kandyse McClure are all way hotter looking. Also it is way too early to end this post. If you are in this for the long haul then you'd better get comfortable. I really like my car, I drive a beautiful 1993 Nissan 240SX. It really does handle like a dream. I will probably own other cars (and minivans) in my life but I will never get rid of the 240, that's just the way it is. Okay, so far you have survived: the mocking of lame arse posters, pizza, avatars, ice cream, Monty Python refrences, BSG casting credits and my personal insight on the worlds greatest driving machine. Can you hang in there? Will you continue reading these inane comments and random flashes of whatever pops into my thick skull? Hehehe, last night on Conan they had a guy dressed in a Chewbacca suit (2 C's Wookie style). It was very badly done, but I laughed like always. Why because Star Wars references are funny and I can identify with them. The same way some people identify with stupid things like "American Idol" or Idol references. I never watch AI, but I have seen video clips on real new reports. Though I doubt you can really call them "real news reports" if they are reporting on AI. Yet you continue to read this post. You are clearly hopeless, if you will survive lines about American Idol, then you will survive anything. Oh, I could go on like this, but as I said before, I really don't have anything worth while to say. Goodbye.:Pirate:

stillakid
03-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Probably aimed at Creationists. :mad:

Ya think? :rolleyes:

Creationists have the same ability to write the scientific process off when it doesn't support the belief and then somehow conjure some version of it back up again when it is perceived to be helping.

Anyone who places their beliefs ahead of rational thought deserves to be exploited. Do either of the groups have gift shops or sell T-shirts? :greedy:

stillakid
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
I skimmed most of that post, but I'd like to quote and specifically respond to this:

:Pirate:

Pirates are cool.

However, on a serious note (no really), your post brought up a good point. It seems that the vast majority of morons people out there would prefer a quickie soundbite that validates their unsubstantiated beliefs rather than take the time to study an issue or controversy for themselves to learn what is really going on. Dare I call that part of the "scientific process." Whether it is about global warming, global creation, or global flattening, more often than not, people aren't really interested in facts, especially when "recognizing" (giving the time of day to) the facts means questioning or contradicting what he or she wishes to believe. For instance, corporate Republican types are prone to dismiss global warming because doing so threatens their bottom line for the next quarterly earnings statement. Creationists are prone to dismiss rational thought because it undermines a manmade book which is their personal link to (as they wish to see it) a moral life.

It's easier to listen to the headline and skim the details than it is to do the research yourself and accept the findings if and when they contradict what you want to believe.

Dar' Argol
03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
LusiferSam - I like some of the translations there. Like how Tin Foil became the leaf of the can. Or Pogo Stick became with small pole with the subscript of the summary of golf. Really makes you wonder if anyone really relies on that Babel fish carp! And how does spleen become lack!?!?! And I Love Lucy Reruns is I taste of what he is reruns of Lucy!?!? Its no wonder none of us can communicate effectively!

sith_killer_99
03-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Probably aimed at Creationists.

Creationists have the same ability to write the scientific process off when it doesn't support the belief and then somehow conjure some version of it back up again when it is perceived to be helping.

Darn Creation! I'm telling you, things would be better if nothing had ever been created.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us there's no sky
Imagine no more people
Living here today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

Imagine no more people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll leave us
And the world will be alone

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
No brotherhood or man
Imagine all the people
Eliminated from the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be alone

However, on a serious note (no really), your post brought up a good point. It seems that the vast majority of morons people out there would prefer a quickie soundbite that validates their unsubstantiated beliefs rather than take the time to study an issue or controversy for themselves to learn what is really going on. Dare I call that part of the "scientific process." Whether it is about global warming, global creation, or global flattening, more often than not, people aren't really interested in facts, especially when "recognizing" (giving the time of day to) the facts means questioning or contradicting what he or she wishes to believe. For instance, corporate Republican types are prone to dismiss global warming because doing so threatens their bottom line for the next quarterly earnings statement. Creationists are prone to dismiss rational thought because it undermines a manmade book which is their personal link to (as they wish to see it) a moral life.

It's easier to listen to the headline and skim the details than it is to do the research yourself and accept the findings if and when they contradict what you want to believe.

Yeah, but more importantly, it's a funny line. You know, because it can work on different levels from either side. It's funny, ironic and mocking.

Shoot man, I'm just trying to tell some jokes.:love: :yes:

Tycho
03-02-2007, 01:12 AM
I suppose I could just keep on typing here and see who bothers to read the entire post.

I did! :crazed:

I am sure that someone is willing to go through that kind of agony, though I can't imagine why.

It's because you're one of the most intelligent and thoughtful posters on these boards, so it's always interesting to consider what you have to say, whether you're being serious, or creative.

I mean, I'm not even going to place a break in paragraphs here. Which personally I find to be extremely annoying. It makes posts difficult to read and it's just plain hard on the eyes

Oh, don't worry. I broke this up into paragraphs for you. Never fear: Tycho's here! :)

...ooops, I just wrote hard on, I hope that doesn't get me banned.

You said, "hard on." That was cool. Huh-huh.

Ooooh, I wonder if anyone will read through all of this and then post a point by point using actual quotes from this post.

That's why you guys are lucky to have me for! :thumbsup:

That would be funny and kinda cool. I doubt it will happen though.

Never underestimate The Tychonator!

Most people just keep right on scrolling by when they see a long post like this,

I know. That bugs me, too. Many things worth explaining can't be explained by bumper stickers, but such is the American politic.

Anyway read on if you dare but be warned I'll just keep going and going. That's because I have no life and very little self respect.

I don't believe that. I think you have a False-Lack-of-Self-Respect. (That means true self-respect in Tycho-speak). However, you did make time to post this. And I made time to respond to it. But from my point of view, this option was more entertaining than a lot of my other options right now.

You see I secretly crave the attention of others, it makes me feel good about myself.

I know what you mean. It's a drag right now that Britney Spears having a mental breakdown and Anna-Nicole Smith having to go and die, are both taking away attention from either one of US. You know: she even stole my idea - I was just going to shave my head and attack an SUV with an umbrella but now I'll just be accused of being a copy-cat. - So frustrating! :mad:

Anyway, I usually just settle for JediTricks' attention, and some from Caesar. It might be high praise coming from me, but their notice competes with People Magazine.

Okay, I made that up, but I have run into some folks who do that. They are sad sad people.

Like me! Tah-duh! :yes:

Anyway, I could really go for some pizza right now. I love pizza, seriously I could eat it everyday and not get tired of it,

I was a cook in an Italian restaurant when I was in high school and it did make me tired of pizza for a long, long time. However, recently, I've really wanted to go out for pizza. I like extra, extra tomato sauce (face it, that's really what I want out of the pizza anyway), but I also like cheese and green bell peppers. Sausage is better than pepparoni. But ham and pineapple make a great pizza! (This is making me hungry again!)

My wife actually made it with Photoshop. She's very talented, my wife, designing websites, layouts, banners, icons, avatars, etc. She wants to get her degree in graphics art design.

In my dream thread where I didn't actually write about a dream I had, I designed a picture of JetsAndHeels being eaten by a man-eating vampire hamburger! Check it out. Please show it to your wife and a clinical psychologist.

Oooh, I could really go for some ice cream right now, maybe something from Coldstone, they make great ice cream.

Coldstone just never did it for me as much as Ben & Jerry's. Perhaps liberal ice cream just tastes better to me? But B&Js used to carry "white Russian" and that was just awesome! I can't find that flavor any more. I created a thread dedicated to Haagen Daz coffee ice cream. That was pretty good. However, Dreyer's pistachio rocks. I used to eat gallons of that stuff when they sold it in the little cafe at the Marina where I docked my jet ski. (And they also had rotisserie chicken, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, and BBQ beans). Sometimes it was better to eat than play in the surf. Food is cool. I especially like it when it tastes good as you eat it.

Are you seriously still reading this?

YES!

I mean who would do something like that, what are you, OCD or something.

Yes.

I told you I had nothing legitimate to say and yet you continue to read this like it's going to get any better.

I think it's one of your best posts, SithKiller. Maybe JT will sticky this thread?

Seriously I think you may need help.

Yes. Help me. Help me.

But I can see you are hooked now, determined to finish this stupid thing. Like finishing it will somehow justify the time you wasted reading something I told you not to bother with.

Nah. I'm enjoying myself!

My cousin was bitten by a moose once. Now, mind you a moose bite can be very painful.

At Six Flags Magic Mountain they have the Moose Lodge Cafe restaurant where it's an all-you-can-eat buffet. It's pricey, but it's worth it. Sometimes when I go to amusement parks to ride the rollercoasters, I actually enjoy them more for the food. Anyway, at the Moose Lodge they give all their customers paper Moose horn hats to wear. Once I get mine, I won't take it off. My friends don't understand why I was still wearing the moose antlers and singing the moose song when we stopped for gas along the way home. Don't you think all the people staring at me at the station were thinking they were glad I had so much fun? Anyway, the mooses in the Moose Lodge at Six Flags are animatronic. They aren't actually real. But they move and sing and dance and it really adds to the dining experience. Many restaurants would be that much better if they'd just add singing and dancing animatronic mooses to their repetoire.

My wife thinks I should end this post by say "In conclusion, Katee Sackhoff is hot." But there is a problem with that line, yes Katee is hot, but Tricia Helfer, Grace Park and Kandyse McClure are all way hotter looking.

Could you post links? I actually don't know who any of those girls are. I'm feeling out of it. All the 20-somethings that became starletts in recent past years have become psycho-rehab cases today. Sadly, I have no celebrity fantasy girls any more. Kristin Kruek is even fading. OH! I forgot though. In a photo of Natalie Portman when she was bald for "V for Vendetta," (it was a comparison of her to Britney), Natalie looked really cute! I don't always find her THAT attractive, but she looked good in that picture. She was smiling and laughing (thus it must not have been from that movie).

If you are in this for the long haul then you'd better get comfortable.

I'm fine, thanks.

I didn't feel like talking about cars though (if you don't mind).

Okay, so far you have survived: the mocking of lame arse posters, pizza, avatars, ice cream, Monty Python refrences, BSG casting credits and my personal insight on the worlds greatest driving machine.

OK, I missed the Monty Python references, but I honestly don't know much about Monty Python. I wasn't sure what BSG casting credits are either.

Can you hang in there? Will you continue reading these inane comments and random flashes of whatever pops into my thick skull?

Sure!

Hehehe, last night on Conan they had a guy dressed in a Chewbacca suit (2 C's Wookie style). It was very badly done, but I laughed like always. Why because Star Wars references are funny and I can identify with them.

You have a Chewbacca suit, too? I don't own any Star Wars costumes. I really need to dress up one year as a Mouse Droid! That would be so cool. I could attach a giant nose to the costume, thereby creating more awareness that people sniff Mouse Droids. It would be great to go to Hasbro's presentations like that. I'd sit right down next to SirSteve.

Yet you continue to read this post. You are clearly hopeless, if you will survive lines about American Idol, then you will survive anything.

On August 2, 2005, I had an injury to my brain. That was tough as I understand it, but I survived.

Oh, I could go on like this, but as I said before, I really don't have anything worth while to say.

That's so untrue. I look forward to more of your posts!

LusiferSam
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
LusiferSam - I like some of the translations there. Like how Tin Foil became the leaf of the can. Or Pogo Stick became with small pole with the subscript of the summary of golf. Really makes you wonder if anyone really relies on that Babel fish carp! And how does spleen become lack!?!?! And I Love Lucy Reruns is I taste of what he is reruns of Lucy!?!? Its no wonder none of us can communicate effectively!

To be fair to Babel Fish, it's been translated six times. Any time to translate something that many times your bound to get mistakes or oddities. I believe the order was English to French, French to Dutch, Dutch to English (and checked for words it wasn't translating), English to Spanish, Spanish to French, and French to English (with a other check). I wanted to do more, but German really messed thing up and Babel Fish stopped working after the eighth translation.

sith_killer_99
03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
OK, I missed the Monty Python references, but I honestly don't know much about Monty Python.

From the opening credits to "Monty Python and the Holy Grail":

A Møøse once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials øn the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law -an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

We apologise for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible have been
sacked.
[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

We apologise again for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible for sacking
the people who have just been sacked,
have been sacked.
[QUOTE]

Funny stuff!!!

[QUOTE]I wasn't sure what BSG casting credits are either.

Could you post links? I actually don't know who any of those girls are. I'm feeling out of it. All the 20-somethings that became starletts in recent past years have become psycho-rehab cases today. Sadly, I have no celebrity fantasy girls any more.

Sure, BSG (Battlestar Galactica)

Katee Sackhoff = Starbuck
Tricia Helfer = Six
Grace Park = Boomer/Athena
Kandyse McClure = Dualla

for more information go to:

www.scifi.com/battlestar/
:D

2-1B
03-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Anyway, I usually just settle for JediTricks' attention, and some from Caesar. It might be high praise coming from me, but their notice competes with People Magazine.

I bet you thought I wouldn't actually read that big post of yours. ;)

lol

stillakid
03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I bet you thought I wouldn't actually read that big post of yours. ;)

lol

Is that a euphamism? :sur: