PDA

View Full Version : Just finished watching the OT on my new Pioneer Plasma!

JON9000
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
The last three nights have been spent hunkered down watching the DVDs on my new Plasma TV. It's a lot of fun... the colors on a Plasma set are amazing, and you can actually see a lot more of the details, like the aliens in Jabba's Palace. Interestingly, with the higher quality picture, you really get a very different sort of image with films shot more recently, I assume due to digital photography.

:love:

It has me itching to get an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. I'm going to start on the PT this weekend.

2-1B
03-01-2007, 08:04 PM
did you go with the OT or OG OT ? :)

Congrats on the purchase !!!

sith_killer_99
03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
So I'm assuming your are running an HDTV, with the DVD's, does the DVD do upscaling (HDMI)? What's the resolution of the plasma 720p, 720i, 1080p, 1080i?

Details man, we need details!:D

I plan on making the HDTV leap when I get back from Afghanistan next year. Right now my Sony DVD player has upscaling to HD, but I don't have it hooked up to run HD. The HDMI cable alone is like $100.00!:eek:

Jayspawn
03-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I love watching the Trilogy on my Plasma. I have an RCA and its great!

But you're right -you can see and hear all kinda things you never noticed before. I'm gonna watch Jedi tonight!

Kidhuman
03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
So I'm assuming your are running an HDTV, with the DVD's, does the DVD do upscaling (HDMI)? What's the resolution of the plasma 720p, 720i, 1080p, 1080i?

Details man, we need details!:D

I plan on making the HDTV leap when I get back from Afghanistan next year. Right now my Sony DVD player has upscaling to HD, but I don't have it hooked up to run HD. The HDMI cable alone is like $100.00!:eek:

The proper term is upcoverting. Sorry, dont mean to be rude.

The HDMI cables have come down in price recently. Some can be found for around 60 bucks. They dont do anything component(red, blue, green) and RCA(red yellow, white) cables dont do. The picture isnt much better. The only advantage HDMI has is one cable for Audio and Video.

sith_killer_99
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
The proper term is upcoverting. Sorry, dont mean to be rude.

Yeah yeah...:p :D ;)

The HDMI cables have come down in price recently. Some can be found for around 60 bucks. They dont do anything component(red, blue, green) and RCA(red yellow, white) cables dont do. The picture isnt much better. The only advantage HDMI has is one cable for Audio and Video.

So I take it you have also watched the OT on an HDTV.

I am still waiting to make the jump, I really want to, but it just doesn't make sense for me to do it now.

Kidhuman
03-01-2007, 10:48 PM
No, I dont have an HDTV yet. I work for Dish NEtwork and troubleshoot HD equipment most of the day there. I am planning on getting one by years end though and then I will watch the OT on DVD.

I wont get a plasma screen even though the colors are nice. They just have a higher risk of burn-in. I will probably go with LCD, which is a less chance of burn in.

2-1B
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
KH, I can't wait til I can someday go back to Dish Network...this cable I picked up when I moved is terrible.

JON9000
03-03-2007, 12:08 PM

720p. I wanted plasma because the colors look amazing, but you have to get a Pioneer Elite to get 1080p in plasma and it costs over $5000 (and it looks stunning). I am not a huge fan of LCD unless you are prepared to spend >$3,000. This Pioneer seemed like a good compromise in the $1700 range and pretty much topped all other sets in its price range, including a 1080p Toshiba LCD.

I am running an old DVD player right now, so no HDMI. I thought about dropping $100 for a new player, but I would rather just wait until we have a winner between blu-ray and HD-DVD. My money is on HD-DVD.

I also am waiting for a Hi-Def cable box. TWC has been out of stock since the Superbowl. I already have my HDMI cable, so I just need the box.

Nevertheless, the Trilogy looked pretty dang amazing.

Blue2th
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I have been looking at buying either a large Plasma or an LCD in the 40-42 inch range but haven't decided which. I own a small 19 inch LCD Samsung combo computer monitor/ TV, but the colors/ lightness-darkness are wierd on it. Especially when you are watching a dark toned show like Battlestar Galactica or even the old Star Trek Voyager. Just wondering why you chose a Plasma over an LCD? The price range seems to be about even with these lately in the 40-42 inch size.

JON9000
03-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I have been looking at buying either a large Plasma or an LCD in the 40-42 inch range but haven't decided which. Just wondering why you chose a Plasma over an LCD? The price range seems to be about even with these lately in the 40-42 inch size.

The color on Plasma sets is superior to LCD, and most LCDs down in this range have a tendency to pixillate if things get too fast. Panasonic has a nice plasma in this price range too, that Best Buy actually had on sale for $999 at X-mas. If they would have given it to me for that price I probably would have jumped. But at $1500, I thought the Pioneer looked better.

My parents have Sony's brand new top of the line LCD 42 inch with 1080p, and if I had that kind of cash I might have went with LCD also, but in my range, plasma looked superior.

Blue2th
03-03-2007, 06:11 PM
The color on Plasma sets is superior to LCD, and most LCDs down in this range have a tendency to pixillate if things get too fast.
I noticed that pixillation when I went looking at a large LCD's. Though I'm sure they will iron out that problem eventually, it's not good for alot of fast moving CGI in the Star Wars Prequels.

sith_killer_99
03-03-2007, 10:32 PM
There are a lot of factors to consider.

Plasma screens used to have issue with burn in and they are sensitive to altitude.

LCD's have their own set of problems, particularly pixel response time, how long it takes a pixel to change colors. This results in the pixelation people talks about.

Both types have ironed out many of these flaws over the years, the higher end sets obviously have better performance.

Also, you need to be careful in choosing what resolution you buy. The 720 and 1080 refer to the number of lines, this gives you the "resolution". However the p and i are also very important. I stands for "interlacing" where the image on the screen is change using every other line (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc) then the next set of lines changes (2, 4, 6, 8, etc). The lines change so fast that it's nearly impossible for the human eye to detect. P stands for "progressive" and operates by switching all of the lines at the same time. This allows for a smoother picture. From what I have read, p is the way to go for people who watch a lot of fast action stuff on their HDTV. The i format tends to have more ghosting type problems during fast action sequences.

Kidhuman
03-03-2007, 11:02 PM
The P is the better, but I havent heard much stuff supporting 1080p as of yet. I do know none of Dish Netowrks HD boxes support 1080p, 1080i is our top.

sith_killer_99
03-03-2007, 11:07 PM
The Sony PS3 supports 1080p and plays BluRay!:D

I am also guessing that most BluRay players will support 1080p, as the discs have more data storage capacity and better lend themselves to higher resolution capabilities.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I have a Sony 46" LCD projection (1080i) and the movies look great!! I have no interest in getting another version of these unless it's a SAGA boxed-set in HD-DVD.

I noticed that pixillation when I went looking at a large LCD's. Though I'm sure they will iron out that problem eventually, it's not good for alot of fast moving CGI in the Star Wars Prequels.

I don't have that problem on my television unless it was a poorly compressed signal.

Blue2th
03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I have a Sony 46" LCD projection (1080i) and the movies look great!! I have no interest in getting another version of these unless it's a SAGA boxed-set in HD-DVD.

I don't have that problem on my television unless it was a poorly compressed signal.

I was looking at the Sony Bravias (1080) at Sears over the weekend. $500 off last years price. After talking with the salesman, even though they had Plasma TV's, they get hot, and they are not rated above something like 6000 feet in elevation. I am almost right at that elevation here in Albuquerque, in the hieghts of course. I was really impressed with the Bravia LCD. Sony got out of the Plasma buisness altogether to concentrate on LCD technology. Think I'm gonna save for one of those.

JEDIpartner
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I am still not as impressed with the flat panel sets as I am with the projections. My friend has a Bravia that he got just before Christmas and I fiddled with some of the controls on his DVD player and on the set and I could not get some of the images to look very good. I watched some of the same DVDs on the WEGA that we have and they looked infinitely better. In the end, the Star Wars films looked good on both sets. The Phantom Menace didn't look quite as good as the others. I'm certain this has something to do with compression rates and so forth. I'm still waiting for the full Saga set on HD sometime down the road. I'm willing to pay $200 for a really definitive set with loads of extras and a handsome package if they can manage it.