PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - March 2nd

JediTricks
03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
After a lengthy delay due to New York Toy Fair, it's finally once again Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for March 2nd, 2007.

Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of March 2nd

Q: Just about all modern Jabba the Hutt figures have been based on CGI models of the character which look notably different from the original ROTJ puppet. With the excitement generated by Sideshow's 12" Jabba figure, can we expect to see a Jabba with Throne (dais) of similar quality for the Hasbro 3" line?
A: Your suggestion is certainly a valid one. We are looking at doing a new Jabba at some point, but he has taken a back seat to some other ideas we've been working on. When we get back to him, we'll look at what makes the most sense regarding style.

- -

Q:The only versions of the AT-ST to date have been the ESB Kenner mold, while at first glance it appears to be the same shape as the ROTJ version, in reality the ROTJ version is actually a significantly different design. Understanding that a Return of the Jedi AT-ST would require an all-new mold to be made which likely lessens its chances, is it a vehicle that Hasbro might be considering making at any point in the future?
A: We'll look at it at some point, but with the animation coming up-to-speed, the slate is certainly getting more crowded. We know the demand for AT-ST is out there though.

- -

Q:Last time we asked this question in October, you said "We won't be answering any more specific questions on the 2007 line at this time. However, she is definitely a possible future figure. Not out of the question." However, now that Toy Fair has come and gone, can you tell us what the odds are that we will see Yarna D'al Gargan in 2007?
A: There are still several waves to be revealed for 2007, but you will not see a Yarna in the line this year.

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162):

- Many collectors believe that the recent trend of figures having ball-jointed heads has more flaws than advantages, what with the joint requirements creating heads that appear cut off behind the jaw and below the ears making for a bizarre profile, as well as unrealistically long necks. In some circumstances the ball joint's range of motion can be so limited that it renders the joint all but moot; also, with removable-helmet figures sometimes the head comes off with the helmet. Some examples of problems caused by ball-jointed heads are the Ep IV Commemorative Tin's Sandtrooper, the Evolutions Ep II Anakin figure, and VTSC Luke Pilot. So would it be possible to do away with ball-jointed head articulation and either go back to the traditional swivel neck or come up with something that looks and works better?
- Recent high quality sculpts of R2-D2 and C-3PO have been for the most part clean and shiny when generally the droids were dirty and scuffed throughout the original trilogy. Could Hasbro fit in more worn, dulled, and resculpted versions of our droid heroes into the lineup anytime soon, such as Tatooine paintjobs and minor sculpt alterations including sand, restraining bolts and a dented head for Threepio? Modern sculpts of the droid twosome haven't yet been given such a treatment and collectors are still using outdated, inaccurate sculpts for Tatooine scenes and other "weathered droids" scenes.
- Will Academy outfit Biggs from wave 3 have his cape, and if not, why?

JediTricks
03-02-2007, 05:56 PM
By the way, you'll notice the order on these is weird, it's because Hasbro did a strange pick-n-choose of our questions that we sent in last Friday and the ones we resubmitted back in early February. We will continue to endeavor to get the remaining missing questions answered ASAP.

Slicker
03-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I actually think the Biggs question has been answered. I saw on anotheR Site that they said they just forgot the cape at Toy Fair but that he does indeed come with one.

Tycho
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
HASBRO forgot to bring Biggs' cape to Toy Fair!

I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on this point. I'll look into starting a thread...

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Yeah, they posted that on RS hours before we got our response. Luckily it was a total 180 from the rumored answer that GH posted last week.

It's clear Tycho, everybody got the message, 2 different sites asked it, plus RS posted news on it earlier in the day, no need to make a spectacle over it.

I'm not really impressed with that Yarna answer btw, but I suppose it's as much my fault for not being more careful about the '07 thing - I don't know how I missed that trap.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Just finished putting up the other sites' questions. Once again I'm amazed that with 24 new answers, our voting list only lost 1 question, that's how many diverse questions are out there in the online Star Wars community that our list of 48 questions doesn't even apparently scratch the surface of what folks are curious about from Hasbro.

Tycho
03-03-2007, 06:42 AM
I didn't see a new Questions thread yet, so I'll test whether I should submit this one here:

EDIT: I found the thread. I'm tired. I actually have already posted in it. Sheeesh.

There are dozens of Star Wars fan sites in existence that have been developed by 20-somethings to 50-somethings who make up a huge segment of Hasbro's Star Wars product fan base - and focus their media's coverage largely on Hasbro. Are there folks in the Hasbro Toy Group today (perhaps even still on the Star Wars team) who were there when the renaissance began in 1995? Was there ever the expectation that this toy line would have a huge adult following or was it just figured that there'd be a small market for the nostalgic and the kids? What do you think of the adult enthusiasts for Star Wars today? (be honest)

Droid
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
They mentioned they are doing a comic pack of Luke and Mara escaping from Stormtroopers in Shadows of the Empire. I didn't think she appeared until the Thrawn era. Wasn't she going to try and kill Luke during Return of the Jedi?

Also, JediTricks, I liked the Yarna question. They have now told us that she will NOT be out in 2007, which I would rather know than having them say, "Maybe we'll see her someday..." I think we should wait a while before another Yarna question. But my next question would likely be, "Is Hasbro committed to making a Yarna figure in either 2008 or 2009?"

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 03:43 PM
They mentioned they are doing a comic pack of Luke and Mara escaping from Stormtroopers in Shadows of the Empire. I didn't think she appeared until the Thrawn era. Wasn't she going to try and kill Luke during Return of the Jedi?Good point, she wasn't in SOTE at all, dunno what Hasbro meant by that answer:

TheJawa.com: This is something of a 2-part question regarding the Comic 2-packs. We've been seeing consistent reports of a Comic 2-Pack with Mara Jade. Who will the other character in the set be? Also, we've seen reports of an A'sharad Hett & Anakin Skywalker Comic 2-pack. Will A'Sharad Hett have his Tusken Raider face coverings?
Hasbro: Mara will be packed with Luke, re-creating their escape from the Stormtroopers in Shadows of the Empire. Hett will indeed have his Tusken Raider face coverings.

Also, JediTricks, I liked the Yarna question. They have now told us that she will NOT be out in 2007, which I would rather know than having them say, "Maybe we'll see her someday..." I think we should wait a while before another Yarna question. But my next question would likely be, "Is Hasbro committed to making a Yarna figure in either 2008 or 2009?"
I suppose you've got a point, we've already got the "someday" thing down. Not sure if they'd bother admitting to a future that far off on the other years though.

pbarnard
03-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Good point, she wasn't in SOTE at all, dunno what Hasbro meant by that answer:
TheJawa.com: This is something of a 2-part question regarding the Comic 2-packs. We've been seeing consistent reports of a Comic 2-Pack with Mara Jade. Who will the other character in the set be? Also, we've seen reports of an A'sharad Hett & Anakin Skywalker Comic 2-pack. Will A'Sharad Hett have his Tusken Raider face coverings?
Hasbro: Mara will be packed with Luke, re-creating their escape from the Stormtroopers in Shadows of the Empire. Hett will indeed have his Tusken Raider face coverings.
I suppose you've got a point, we've already got the "someday" thing down. Not sure if they'd bother admitting to a future that far off on the other years though.

Could they mean Dark Force Rising?

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Honestly, anything's possible with Hasbro, I wouldn't even venture to guess at this point what they meant.

I don't remember, did Dark Force Rising get a comic? These are comic 2packs so they'd have to be from a comic version.

pbarnard
03-03-2007, 04:40 PM
They did the whole first Thrawn Trilogy as a comic. That's where they got the butchered Mara and ysalmri Thrawn accessory initially.

Droid
03-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think they'd answer a question about 2008 or 2009 either. That's why I think another Yarna question right now would be a waste. I would predict a "we are aware the fans want this figure and hope to see her in the line eventually" or "it's too early to talk about next year's line" or "animation, animation."

Tycho
03-03-2007, 05:38 PM
They meant "Heir to the Empire," which is the first book of the Thrawn Trilogy and often the name of the series which includes "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command."

Yeah, Mara was trying to kill Luke then. She'll likely be a repack of her original 1998 figure. They could accurately kitbash Luke from that scene with the X-wing Pilot legs and torso, and the Dagobah Training Luke chest and arms and head. That's what I did to make Luke look right as a custom figure for that scene. Since I made it, I will have no use to buy this set as there will be no new figures for me.

JediTricks
03-04-2007, 08:43 PM
They did the whole first Thrawn Trilogy as a comic. That's where they got the butchered Mara and ysalmri Thrawn accessory initially.Hmm, didn't realize. The ysalamir was in the book with a frame, it still bothers me that the toy has no frame (and that Thrawn headsculpt is so weak).