PDA

View Full Version : Babel Fish thread

LusiferSam
03-02-2007, 11:28 PM
This is a thread for crazy, weird and down right mind numbing Babel Fish fun. I'm sure many of you have seen my crazy translation of the Flat Earth Society disclaimer, but those that haven't here it a link (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=535326&postcount=14). That was after six translations. Here it is after ten translations:

The regular company of the ground is never only for the frankness from the French who is qualified with the German Maginot line for length of time WWII so that it pushes behind. The regular company of the ground is still company which is news of the recognitions yeti to part of the Vatican or unfruitful constraint with Nabisco Inc that person in charge it uses factory with insurrectionist groups of the hamster of the swindler. Moreover, we are not loss or perhaps the this constant only the result which responsible suspend the declarations dogmatic and certain even dangerously subversive thing can that appear that interior is delivered: The screw, member, sight, Francois end of the means, hearing of possibility, preference, odor, observation, count to you, divine of Mildred, citizenship, lack, abrupt rock of the base, alfalfa, appreciate more repetitions than Lucy of freshner, toaster, of its runner of pine, duck of the play, antelope, horseradish, addition of ankle, double cheeseburger, the sheet of the box, the calcareous rock, with the odor of watermelon of the air, with the reason, the paprika, the Germans with the Latin dictionary of the pig, rag to the goods has domestic animal Chihuahua, pogo with the place, the contribution of the election of the golf, the tile parke' toy, torsos increased or halibut.
The order is English to German, German to French, French to English (checked for major errors), English to Portuguese, Portuguese to French, French to Italian, Italian to English (checked again), English to Greek, Greek to French and French to English.

I got the idea after reading an article in Discovery a couple years ago about multiple Babel Fish translation. I started playing around with the idea on my own. It works best on shorter paragraphs, this Flat Earth piece is a bit long. And you to have to check for points were words aren't being translated. German and Greek are ones that give me a lot of trouble.

pbarnard
03-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I use a world.altvista.com to translate what my wife writes in Chinese. It's not perfect either. Of course, she never bothered to learn how to translate from one language into the other, they just taught her to speak and write in one language in the absence of learning how to go back and forth between the two.

LusiferSam
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
The opening crawl to Star Wars after eleven translating:

A period of the civil war, the boats of the space in the rebellion that has the effects of basic dissimulated after, they were gains relative the first defective victory against the kingdom galactic.

Whereas the battle has spies rebellious that is followed with the reserved programs relative to the definitive weapon of excellent of the kingdom, the DEADS the first paper, a Rank of the sector steels oneself, with one enough energy, a complete planet that must be destroyed.

Employee of the representatives ominous of the kingdom, the phrase of princess Reads filed it to starship of the consonance edge, the protections of the robbed programs that are people, you disassemble and the freedom exists again to the galaxy....

mtriv73
03-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Meh...It's no worse than the dialogue Lucas writes:razz: .

JEDIpartner
03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Maybe that's how he writes!!!

Jargo
03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I find that after just one translation it's bad enough. eleven seems like too much time on your hands.

I'm currently communicating with someone from germany and neither of us speak the others language. so these translators are all we have. it makes for interesting interpretation of the messages. I'm sure we're both talking about completely the wrong thing to each other. but it passes a minute or two and taxes the grey matter trying to decipher the grammatical maze.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I find that after just one translation it's bad enough. eleven seems like too much time on your hands.Indeed, I started a similar thread for Star Wars dialogue and one translation was difficult enough.

German and Greek are ones that give me a lot of trouble.There is a Dashboard widget on the Mac that does translation. I also have trouble with Greek and German, as well as Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.