PDA

View Full Version : Caveman

Lord Malakite
03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
ABC developing 'Cavemen' (http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...=1300&cs=1&p=0)
Comedy pilot based on Geico ads
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

ABC pilot will ape insurance company Geico's caveman characters.
Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project.

"Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.
The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.
The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.
Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").

But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.

Something tells me this won't turn out as well as they may expect.:cross-eye

El Chuxter
03-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

This is actually a clever ruse on the part of I, Louie the Lilac! You see, this will make people so disgusted that they will turn the channel. But I will have bought all the channels not airing Caveman, and will have changed them to PTV: All Purple, All The Time.

With everyone watching my network, you have no idea what sort of ad revenues I'm looking at!!

THIS I COMMAND!!

BountyHunterScum
03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Aint that some funny crap they were created here. LOL

Ji'dai
03-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Ca-ca! I thought this thread was about that great Ringo Starr movie.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
What the hell? Another ad series gets turned into a destined-to-fail sitcom? The previous one was the quickly-canceled "Baby Bob" based on the talking baby for a few websites' tv ads (and after that sitcom failed, they returned the character to ads for Quiznos!).

Rocketboy
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Sign of the Apocalypse #344

Blue2th
03-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I know it's corny but I love those commercials! I think it's a great idea! I like that song too as the Caveman is going through the airport and sees that poster and gets mad. I think they need to use it as the series theme. The series probably won't last but a few episodes, but what the hell.

JimJamBonds
03-03-2007, 04:55 PM
If Phil Hartman was still alive he could do a cameo as their lawyer.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
This is just . . . dumb.

sith_killer_99
03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Eh, I think I'd rather see the Gecko get his own show.:razz:

LTBasker
03-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I wonder if they'll go to the guy who plays Ted on Heroes, he could wear the same make-up since it's nearly the same as the Geico cavemen look. :p

Kidhuman
03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Why do we still not have a smilie giving the finger. It would be perfect for this thread.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Perhaps the caveman will have a pet gecko.

2-1B
09-08-2007, 12:22 PM
This was disturbing enough when it was just a news link...but now that I keep seeing the stupid ads for it, I am absolutely sickened. :dead:

Tonysmo
09-11-2007, 02:34 AM
You know you will all watch with piqued interest… even if to see if it falls flat very quickly.. you will all watch. ..

I’m torn. I think it may do okay.. and I do think they are mehhhh kinda funny. The commercials were good. But face it. They aint busty TV anchors trying to catch a break, these are CAVEMEN!! WOOT!

Ehh. Yeah.

pbarnard
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
One thing I've read is that it sounds like the only jokes the writers can make are racial in nature. Sounds like it's doom for failure and lawsuit.

Blue2th
09-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm going to watch this. From looking at the recent commercial, I think cavemen really know how to party, with their primordial instincts.
This aspect of a caveman's personality could be played upon.
Being frozen, thawed out and having no concept of religion could be a good thing.
Only relying on instincts could get one in trouble in day to day life. This could be exploited. You could have a sympathetic pastor of a church character, who's religious world is turned upside-down by the thought of some evolutionary cavemen.

I think the racial themes would work if done in a way to show the idiosycracies of stereotypical whites, blacks, hispanics, orientals, etc. (kind of like Mencia does) while they are projecting their racial feelings on the Cavemen.

Being social outcasts themselves, they could hangout with some social misfits, or be envied by them for being more ostracized by those people.

This show could work with the right writers.

El Chuxter
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Fifty bucks says they ignore all scientific evidence that Neanderthals were actually superior in most ways (strength, durability, brain size) to modern humans, but likely died out because they weren't physically fast and agile enough to hunt prey in the open grasslands that overtook the forests in Europe about 50,000 or so years ago.

2-1B
09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
You know you will all watch with piqued interest… even if to see if it falls flat very quickly.. you will all watch. ..

NOPE.

Fifty bucks says they ignore all scientific evidence that Neanderthals were actually superior in most ways (strength, durability, brain size) to modern humans, but likely died out because they weren't physically fast and agile enough to hunt prey in the open grasslands that overtook the forests in Europe about 50,000 or so years ago.

As Mike Myers said in Wayne's World, "does this guy know how to party or what?" :D

Mister Roboto
09-12-2007, 01:06 PM
When my friend told me someone was doing this, I thought he was kidding. I really wish he was.

pbarnard
09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
It makes me wonder if I make something, lame, unwatchable, unfunny, I can sell it to ABC for them to hype all summer/fall and give me a 1 night where I'll live on in infamy for having yet another bomb on ABC's attempt at comedy or Fox follow up to action/adventure for 24/Prison Break.

JediTricks
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't fault ABC for trying to counterprogram Fox's Prison Break, and 24 (which isn't even going to air until midseason, right?) because those shows have a limited demographic and only fill 1 kind of niche - anybody not looking for that kind of action/drama series is going to be looking for something else. What I do fault ABC for is trying to counterprogram with this POS concept that's destined to embarrass the network and waste viewers' time.

El Chuxter
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
I just read some more info on this POS.

First, they moved the scenario from Atlanta to San Diego at the last minute, as they decided it was too tough to fake Atlanta in their LA-based studio.

Uh, what? Isn't the point of a studio to fake any locale? Couldn't they just throw in some establishing shots of the Atlanta skyline, and the rest would probably be set indoors in fictional buildings, anyway.

Second, the cavemen are supposed to be Cro-Magnons.

I immediately thought I should call them up and explain to them, using very small words so that they might understand, that Cro-Magnons are modern humans, and that the designs from the commercials are clearly based upon reconstructions of Neanderthals. But then I realized I didn't care.

One thing's for sure: this whole show is destined to push the brown envelope by giving new meaning to the term "pile of doon."

JEDIpartner
09-30-2007, 02:50 PM
...and networks wonder why they are failing to find an audience. People who wach 90% of the reality shows that air aren't even stupid enough to tune into this steaming pile of pig crap!