PDA

View Full Version : The Winner

El Chuxter
03-05-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't usually waste my time with shows that have less than 50% purple content, so I allowed El Chuxter to view this to test its purpletude.

He told me, after being beaten by Grimace and Grape Ape for two hours straight, that it was rather mediocre. He said Rob Corddry was funny, as always, as was the kid, but the writing was corny and formulaic, and it came across as a half-a**ed attempt to make a TV show based on The 40 Year Old Virgin--coincidentally also starring an alum of The Daily Show.

He said it was much better than The War At Home but that's not saying much. (Cats and kittens, I wouldn't watch that dog of a show if it was filmed in PurpleVision and starred Prince.)

Just thought you would all like to know this before facing certain death under a gigantic grape in less than 12 hours if I do not receive my purple army!

THIS I COMMAND!!

JediTricks
03-05-2007, 04:39 PM
"The Winner" made audiences the loser. The first episode was such a waste of time I found myself drifting off staring at the wall. The second at least had a few shock laughs, but really was just awful.

Rocketboy
03-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Not that great, but still better than any episode of American Dad.

And the whole laugh track in sitcoms bugs me.

JediTricks
03-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh man, that laugh track was cranked so high it was embarassing.

Kidhuman
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
And the whole laugh track in sitcoms bugs me.

I swear I was just talking about laugh tracks today and how I hate them. I dont the fact of being told when to laugh. I hate them with a passion.

General_Grievous
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
They didn't always used to be like that. There used to be live studio audiences, but then they invented the laugh track and everything went to hell.

"The Winner" will get cancelled in two weeks, mark my words.

UKWildcat
03-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm another person who absolutely hates laugh tracks. :mad:

I thought this show was alright, nothing special. I'll watch a few more episodes to see how it develops, if it stays on air. :neutral:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
As Chux - or Louie, or whoever - said, Rob Corddry was pretty funny. He was better on the Daily Show, but whatever. The other actors were annoying, especially his parents.

JediTricks
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
As Chux - or Louie, or whoever - said, Rob Corddry was pretty funny. He was better on the Daily Show, but whatever. The other actors were annoying, especially his parents.
I thought it was a lot like Corddry's schtick on TDS, except with more of it causing it to not get away with it as easily.

El Chuxter
03-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Are they airing two episodes a week to burn this POS off more quickly?

Is it just me, or is this a horrific knockoff of The 40 Year Old Virgin, with aspects of Get a Life, Arrested Development, and other successful (or at least funny) shows mixed in?

Is it at all realistic that a recently divorced woman (who, from the dialogue in the first ep, was dumped or left her ex because he was cheating) has, within about two weeks of moving to a town, a boyfriend that she is willing to openly sleep with in her mother's house, and in view of her teenaged son?

Or are the writers really even worse than we suspect, and they totally forgot the fact that this lady moved back in with her sick mother after the first episode?

What the hell is with that first post of this thread? I didn't post that.

And, JT, you're totally right. I never realized it in the short segments on TDS, but Corddry is funny for about five minutes, and then gets painfully annoying.

JediTricks
03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I watched yesterday's first ep for 3 minutes and literally could not watch another moment, this show I really hope just goes away or gets tossed on the Thursday trashpile where I can forget it exists. I suspect the only reason this got to air is that Fox can't tell good TV from bad and they knew Seth McFarlane as producer would get viewers. Not that Seth does laugh-track-type shows anyway.

I'm trying so hard not to fume at Fox for canceling Arrested Development in favor of this trash...

UKWildcat
03-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I just got around to watching both episodes from last Sunday, and I thought they were horrible. I can see how you stopped watching JT, I wish I had did the same thing. I may have chuckled (not laughed) once or twice during both episodes. The only somewhat good thing was Andrea Savage (Donna) in the second episode.

I am done with this show now; can't say I didn't give it a chance.