PDA

View Full Version : TAC Wave 1 Review

Tycho
03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
These are unopened reviews, as I am not planning on reconstructing any 3 3/4" dioramas in my current apartment at the moment.

MACE - I'm not keeping him, but I'm not impressed with the face sculpt (again). It's another case of the 1998 Sneak Preview and 1999 TPM figures still being the best Maces

OBI-WAN - Eh. His mouth fits the breather, so as it stands he's too reminiscient of Elton John for my tastes (and it's a rectangular "pucker"). It also rekindles memories of Podracer Announcer Jabba's beast pack. Obi-Wan's also quite skinny.

MCQUARRIE TROOPER - I was never a fan of this figure being made (in fact except for Fett when that's released, I don't plan on keeping the concept figures). This version might have a battle-damaged shield that the previous release did not have. That's sort of cool.

R2D2 - very cool. It's about time we got a "flying" R2D2 with this much accuracy!

AIRBORNE TROOPER - cool figure but he doesn't seem to have a holster for his little blaster. The rest of the detail is really good though.

SUPER BATTLE DROID - nice job on the articulation (it appears seeing him carded) but I wonder if he'll be flimsy as many of the droids have started to become.

LAVA MINER - Great sculpt, though looks sort of pre-posed (not that many of us are going to do much with this figure other than set him in on Mustafar). - Come to think of it though, he'd be good to add a "fondue element" to an Ewok BBQ though.

GALACTIC MARINE - probably the best of the bunch. Looks to be really articulate - and all-new figure puts him one-up on R2D2. And he's capable of using all that he comes with (backpack and Blaster Rifle) so he's over the Airborne Trooper in my book.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2007, 01:46 PM
MACE - I'm not keeping him, but I'm not impressed with the face sculpt (again). It's another case of the 1998 Sneak Preview and 1999 TPM figures still being the best Maces

OBI-WAN - Eh. His mouth fits the breather, so as it stands he's too reminiscient of Elton John for my tastes (and it's a rectangular "pucker"). It also rekindles memories of Podracer Announcer Jabba's beast pack. Obi-Wan's also quite skinny.

MCQUARRIE TROOPER - I was never a fan of this figure being made (in fact except for Fett when that's released, I don't plan on keeping the concept figures). This version might have a battle-damaged shield that the previous release did not have. That's sort of cool.

R2D2 - very cool. It's about time we got a "flying" R2D2 with this much accuracy!

AIRBORNE TROOPER - cool figure but he doesn't seem to have a holster for his little blaster. The rest of the detail is really good though.

SUPER BATTLE DROID - nice job on the articulation (it appears seeing him carded) but I wonder if he'll be flimsy as many of the droids have started to become.

LAVA MINER - Great sculpt, though looks sort of pre-posed (not that many of us are going to do much with this figure other than set him in on Mustafar). - Come to think of it though, he'd be good to add a "fondue element" to an Ewok BBQ though.

GALACTIC MARINE - probably the best of the bunch. Looks to be really articulate - and all-new figure puts him one-up on R2D2. And he's capable of using all that he comes with (backpack and Blaster Rifle) so he's over the Airborne Trooper in my book.

Your sentiments are echoed in my reviews I posted in the main reviews section. I passed on "Love Doll" Obi-Wan. He's awful.

CLICK HERE (http://reviews.sirstevesguide.com/showcat.php?cat=5)

Tycho
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Yup. I just read JP's reviews of the figures (except I didn't see his on Obi-Wan) and we come to the identical conclusions. Since niether of our opinions was influencing the other one, I'd take these reviews as objective and "gospel." I think they'll be the definitive "collector position" on this wave.

There you have it. We made up your mind for you :D

JEDIpartner
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Yup. I just read JP's reviews of the figures (except I didn't see his on Obi-Wan) and we come to the identical conclusions. Since niether of our opinions was influencing the other one, I'd take these reviews as objective and "gospel." I think they'll be the definitive "collector position" on this wave.

There you have it. We made up your mind for you :D

I didn't like the Obi-Wan so I didn't buy it. I bought one for Bruce and took a good look at it. It's horrible.

Tycho
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't know if he's horrible (there are figures like Saga1-2 Emperor Palpatine...) but after the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan figure that was arguably PERFECT, the standard is set very high on Obi-Wan and making a Ewan McGreggor likeness, as well as a proportionaly fleshed out figure.

They really need to do a better headsculpt for AOTC and TPM Obi-Wans, then use that Pilot figure's body (or the TPM Naboo cloaked version body) and get the figures we always wanted out. The wet hair from the Deluxe AOTC Kamino Obi-Wan is also a good headsculpt that could see some reuse - however it is nothing compared to the ROTS Pilot figure.

Obi-Wan is just hard for them for some reason. But they really do good when they come through. This TAC figure isn't awful, IMO, but it wasn't their best shot by far.

Saga1 Acklay Battle Obi-Wan is on the lamer-list, btw.

JEDIpartner
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Oh, I agree with you on the Acklay battle Obi-Wan. That one IS poo!

I just don't think they did a very good job with this Obi-Wan. You're right, the "pilot" version spoilt us in a big way. That's why I don't particularly like this one as it's a clear step backwards.

DarkArtist
03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
as I have only found R2-D2 and Utapau Obi Wan I have to say that I love the R2 and think it's one of the best version of the droid we have seen. Can't wait to get two of the battledroids and set up the scene from ROTS.

as far as Obi Wan goes, while the figure is alright since it is yet again a re-issued body with a new head sculpt I would have perferred that they packed at least a lightsaber hilt with the figure. I mean Commander Cody returned Kenobi's lightsaber before Order 66 was issued and we see Obi Wan with the Aqua Breather after Order 66.

figrin bran
03-14-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm not as enthusiastic about TAC R2 as you guys seem to be. While i like the sculpt they used, i don't really like that the figure is too scene specific. What's more is that the legs have this really cheap gaping hole if you remove the booster rockets.

here's hoping hasbro repaints this figure to a more generic, less scene specific, less weathering R2.

Jaff
03-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Well I opened all my TAC figures, so this review will hopefully be a good perspective for some of you. I decided to include the Vader with Coin book as well in this list as well.

TAC #2/08 Darth Vader - This Vader really is not a good figure to have as #1 in this series. He is terrible. His lightsaber is attatched to his hand, his articulation is poor, and he's nothing more than a retool. The coin album is great though. It's very nice.
TAC #2/07 Galactic Marine Trooper - Despite not having a holster, this is my favorite fig of the bunch. His paint ap is really detailed. His rifle stinks though because the plastic is so bad it bends into oblivion.
TAC #3/07 Mustafarian Lava Miner - To get him to stand he has to be in an extreme pose. His legs are really spread out. Getting him to hold his mining thing also takes some time. This is one of those figs that makes you say: Boy it's great to have this one, but I have as much use for him as I do the ASP-7 droid.
TAC #4/07 R2-D2 - This figure is awesome. The fire effect really looks great.
TAC #5/07 Obi-Wan Kenobi - I don't really dislike this Obi-Wan, but I do realize his hair is flat and pulled back because it's supposed to look wet. The figure body is identical to the Obi-Wan pilot, and I happen to like the mouthpiece for the figure. My only real beef with this figure is the staff that came with him. The blue lightning is permanently attatched to the staff.
TAC #6/07 Mace Windu - Your right about Windu, his likeness is not that stellar and his softgoods makes him worse. He does look better than many of the earlier versions though.
TAC #7/07 Utapau Airborne Trooper - Wonderful figure. The detail and paint ap is dead on. Still I have a fetish for the Marine though.
TAC # 8/07 Super Battle Droid - I hate to confirm your fears Tycho, but this figs legs are very flimsy. He needs a stand to stand, and the fire piece that attatches to his left leg barely stays on, it just slides right off now and then.
TAC # 9/07 McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper - This fig aint so bad, I intend to get all the McQuarrie figs, and I will pass on the cartoon Boba, still I'm not screaming how great this fig is. It's just an O.K. figure.

JEDIpartner
03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I've decided that the Obi-Wan is the Star Trek: The Next Generation Commander William Riker inflatable love doll. *shakes head*

plasticfetish
03-17-2007, 01:50 AM
I've decided that the Obi-Wan is the Star Trek: The Next Generation Commander William Riker inflatable love doll. *shakes head*Is there a store in Ohio that sells Riker inflatable love dolls or something? I've never seen one. ;)

-----

I've only seen two of these figures in person so far, R2 and Obi-Wan, and I like the packaging inspite of what I thought at first, but wasn't moved to buy either figure. I may get R2 for plasticfetish jr. He seemed really interested, but I'll wait 'til I find a SBD first.

I really only want Mace and the Concept Stormtrooper (to keep carded) from this bunch. The clones are probably great, but I'm getting tired of clones.

Luuuuuuke
03-19-2007, 01:23 AM
I only bought the two clones and the stormtrooper, all of which I liked. The Marine is the best by far in my opinion. For all intents and purposes, he's perfect, one of those figures that looks great from every single angle, and with or without the helmet.

The Concept Stormtrooper is one of those figures I'm glad to have one of, but more because it's a curiosity. It's not a figure I'd even consider troop building.

The Obi Wan is pretty bad. The love doll references are dead on. I've seen it several times and have never been tempted to buy it.

The Lava miner I've also seen and I was tempted to buy one(I might still). It looks pretty good.

Mace is okay. Just okay. The face isn't great but I don't think it's a bad figure, and it's a lot better than most of the Mace's I've seen. I might eventually get him, preferably on sale.

R2 is R2. Unless he makes sounds I don't really care.

The Super Battle Droid looked okay to me. I know some people are pretty stoked by it because of the articulation but to me it's still a battle droid, which is to say, I'm not too into it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I haven't got any of these yet, except for the Vader with the coin album which arrived today.

Vader is just a repack of the ROTS Vader, which is one of my least favorite Vaders.

Obi-Wan is the ROTS pilot sculpt which everyone seemed to like. The difference here is the head and accessories. Certainly a step down on the face, but otherwise a good figure.

Mace looks all right to me, especially since this is the first SA Mace I can recall that doesn't have an action feature. Hopefully this means he doesn't have the floppy arms of the ROTS version.

Looking forward to seeing how the clones are. R2, Lava Miner and SBD don't excite me much, but I will be getting them all.

Ji'dai
03-23-2007, 09:58 PM
I finally spotted the entire wave on Thursday but didn't care for any of them. I had planned on getting the McQ Stormtrooper, even had two in my hand at the store, but ultimately put them back. I really prefer the original to this repaint.

The Airborne Trooper looked as if the helmet wasn't large enough to completely conceal the Jango head. I was only looking at him in the packaging so maybe it's a different story once the fig is loose. I also noticed that all the Airborne Troopers' ankle joints I saw were flesh-toned rather than white like the rest of the armor. Anyone else notice this as well?

Tycho
03-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I also noticed that all the Airborne Troopers' ankle joints I saw were flesh-toned rather than white like the rest of the armor. Anyone else notice this as well?

I just spotted that myself because of your post. It might be a part of the paint application. The back of the joint on one of mine (they're both still carded) looks like it's white. But the other one is carded very flat-footed and thus I can't tell.

Darth Cruel
03-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Although I really like the Utapau Airborn trooper. He is the same figure (repainted) as the Commander that came with the Mace Windu Battle Pack (Tycho and JP - the hand blaster hides in the satchel). So my love goes to the Galactic Marine as well. Awesome figure that will be a pleasure to troop-build.

Tycho
03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
(Tycho and JP - the hand blaster hides in the satchel).

That's cool! I'm going to have to open one of my guys then and check him out.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Found some today. I've opened three so far.

Galactic Marine - I'm having trouble getting him to stand on his own. He wants to fall backwards. For the moment, I have him hunched over enough to stand.

Airborne Trooper - Seems that his chin is slightly visible with the helmet on. Also, the strap kind of gets in the way so that might keep the helmet from going down some as well. The skirt kind of limits movement as well. Other than that, it's another nice clone addition.

Super Battle Droid - Much better articulation than prior versions, but thin bendy plastic legs makes it harder to stand. I guess that isn't as important since this one is meant to be lying down with R2 torching him. I'll have to see how that works when I open R2.

Battle Droid
03-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Most people on other sites are claiming this Super Battle Droid stands much better than the other ones, you guys must have defective ones. lol :p

Tycho
03-27-2007, 08:31 AM
That's true Battle Droid. But how do we know that it's not just that Jaff and Mad Slanted Powers are defective? :D

Kidhuman
03-31-2007, 12:19 AM
I bought oinly the clones, Lava miner and Concept Stormie. I like the Lava Miner, the only thing stopping him from being perfect is the fact his legs are spread so far apart and cant close.

The Marine is pretty cool. The Airborne trooepr is alright. Why do they have damn removeable helmets?

figrin bran
03-31-2007, 12:40 AM
I bought oinly the clones, Lava miner and Concept Stormie. I like the Lava Miner, the only thing stopping him from being perfect is the fact his legs are spread so far apart and cant close.

The Marine is pretty cool. The Airborne trooepr is alright. Why do they have damn removeable helmets?

some people, and i'm not one of them, actually like the removable helmets. on the Marine, it's not that bad because it sits right on top of the pauldrons but the airborne would've been a lot better if the helmet weren't removable.

Tycho
03-31-2007, 01:21 AM
You know, we really confuse Hasbro. When it was pilots, we all wanted removeable helmets on every one of them down to Jek Porkins and Dutch Vandor. Hasbro took with them from that we loved removeable helmets. Crazily, they've gone on to do OT Stormtroopers this way. Now with Clone Wars era troops, that's fine - they're all Jango Juniors. They could even do a Boba Fett figure with removeable helmet now.

So I don't mind the Airborne or Marine with removeable helmets. The OT is where it gets too much for me. I KNOW that some of them were clones of Han Solo's father, you see :D

Luuuuuuke
03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
The Galactic Marine is pitch perfect because of the removable helmet. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this figure having a removable helmet. It looks more natural.

Darth Cruel
03-31-2007, 12:58 PM
The Galactic Marine is pitch perfect because of the removable helmet. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this figure having a removable helmet. It looks more natural.

I like the thought of removeable helmets. But this helmet could have been done better by being non-removeable and having a soft goods mask so that there would be better articulation for the head. I am a voter for changeable heads as opposed to removeable helmets until the concept of removeable helmets is improved greatly. Removeable helmets on pilots whose faces show through them have been done well enough. But the removeable helmets on armored troopers have taken away from the figures. Look at the evo clones sculpts with the rubber helmets. Same with the Sandtroopers from the collectors tins. The GM sculpt is great, but far from perfect.

Luuuuuuke
03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
I like the thought of removeable helmets. But this helmet could have been done better by being non-removeable and having a soft goods mask so that there would be better articulation for the head.

I get what you mean, but a non-removable helmet with a soft goods mask, that's asking for Hasbro to really think outside the box:D That might be a little too good an idea, even at a time when Hasbro's figures look better than ever.

Having said that, no doubt the Airborne Troopers and Evo mould clones could have been done a lot better. They simply stick out too much with oversized helmets and chins jutting out from the bottom.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Helmets are the least of my concerns with the Galactic Marine. I still have trouble getting him to stand on his own. I was surprised that the Lava Miner stood as well as it did with the way his legs and feet are posed.