PDA

View Full Version : Are we kidding ourselves?

jedi master sal
02-05-2002, 09:02 AM
I've heard tell that many collectors (including myself) have sworn of AOTC toys because of that position and articulation of sculpts. Are we kidding ourselves. I know that I will be at the Midnight madness as I was for EPI and I will scramble for all of the toys to put in a shopping cart then cull from those the ones I want to keep. I can say that I will undoubtedly buy some but not all of the figs and will no longer be a completist. Isn't it sad that such a great story was turn upside down by Lucas and now the toy line is going by the wayside. I know it's been said (in many forms) but it bears repeating.

WAKE UP HASBRO

We the collectors are the future of this line and have spent small fortunes to collect them all. They kids don't have the money to afford them and can't keedp up. How many fansite do you see that have 6-10 yr olds contributing on a daily basis.

NONE

We the adults, not only have the money but have other tools neccessary to perpetuate (sp?) the sale and ongoing success of this line.

Take heed. If you continue this course of action you will find your company losing millions and won't be able to save face in the eyes of the industry and the general populace as well.. You know they'll blame us the collectors for poor sales and won't internalize the problem on themselves. They'll say it is the economy.

GIMME A BREAK

Even when not working I found a way to still collect as I'm sure most of you find a way when things are tight.

We are fooling ourselves if we think Hasbro is concerned with what we truly think. Yeah they throw us a bone with the occasional "fan choice fig", but really...... If they put AVID fans of the saga in charge or at least consulted with us on a regular and serious basis as to what characters should be produced, we would all be happy. They would make money and we would have the figs we want.

NUFF SAID!

okay, I've ranted enough.

THOUGHTS?

evenflow
02-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Hasbro doesn't care. I think we all know that. We just hope that they have enough sense to give us the classic stuff we want. I do not like all of the EPisode II stuff, I do like some, but I know i will buy it all. HAsbro knows that too.

InsaneJediGirl
02-05-2002, 09:29 AM
Evenflow is right.Hasbro doesnt care about collectors,only
children.Having two younger brothers,they like the SW movies
but not the toys.Why?Because of the newest fad.Hasbro knows
kids want to be "one of the crowd" and are trying to be that
newest fad by adding new "features".

I wont swear off AOTC collecting.I'll just buy what I like the most and wait for the rest to go on clearance.

LTBasker
02-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Hasbro cares about collectors actually, but to an extent. See, they know kids would rather have obscure characters and such instead of herds of the same character, and that's where the collector's voice comes in, if it's a character that is odd enough to appeal to kids also, then there ya go, from the collectors to the kids. Just they don't listen to what's wanted in the specifics from collectors so they just add in whatever they feel necassary where a kid would want to play with it and then they rely on collectors to buy up most of the stock because they know the kids won't always be going after the whole set of figures. I'll be getting AOTC figures, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy them! :p

JEDIpartner
02-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Look here...!

I am NOT gonna buy everything just to be a completeist. I have never been a completist since I started collecting again. I certainly don't want ALL of the POTF2 figures and only collected some of the figures that hadn't been made in the vintage line and picked up the new versions of the vintage ones only when they looked absolutely prefect!

I have some holes in the E1 collection (no pod racer pilots, no swimming Jar Jar, no Queen w/ascension gun, for example). I also didn't get all of the POTJ stuff.

I really don't feel the need to over extend myself and line Hasbro's pockets with MY earnings when some of their product is substandard. That's almost like going to the grocery store to buy stuff for a salad and seeing rotten tomatoes and banged up onion and buying them anyway because "that would make the salad complete."

Anyhow... that's just me... thanks for the use of the box there, Sal! :rolleyes:

SithDroid
02-05-2002, 12:22 PM
I agree jedi master sal. It seems these new figures are really campy looking. The style of the figures doesn't blend with the POTJ or the POTF2. At least everything so far can be used in conjuction with each other, but this new AOTC line is completely different.

For example let us take Plo Koon. The POTJ version is amazing. Then look at the AOTC version. The head sculpt is different, his body looks weird, and he will probably come with some stupid lightsaber chopping gimmick that no one wants.

HASBRO, no one wants these new gimmicks. All we want is detailed figures, no gimmicks, and more articulation. Is that too much to ask? I think not.

Lord Skywalker
02-05-2002, 01:17 PM
JEDIpartnr, what if you really wanted a salad, and the store only had 1 onion, but 1 side of it was banged up....

Oh, forget it I don't even like salad!;)

JEDIpartner
02-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Buddy... what I'm saying is I'd SKIP the onion... like I'd skip the crap looking figures!!!

HASBRO=:Pirate: :greedy: :Pirate:

The STAR WARS line=:dead: :cry:

mabudonicus
02-05-2002, 02:31 PM
That's too damn funny, JEDIpartnr !! I've never heard it put that way(the "complete salad" analogy), but it totally describes the way I've felt ever since the POTF2 Dengar came out(they honestly had me good until that point). Or maybe it was R5D4. Or it could have been the nigh-nonexistant Ree Yees.

Rollo Tomassi
02-05-2002, 02:43 PM
You go JP!

I don't get why Hasbr:greedy: thinks that the kids are where the money is rolling in from. What kind of ten year old pays $40 for four little figures when he can get a new playstation game for the same amount of money. I think ALL toy companies should realize that the children of the 70's and 80's are the REAL market for the action figures of today. Do little kids buy McFarlane figures? Are they buying the cool Super hero figures? I don't think DC Direct was created with ten year olds in mind. Hasbr:greedy: is so out of the loop, they are getting mixed signals from the collecting world. They see us buying up McFarlane figures and think to themselves "AhA! What they really want is 6" figures for the older fans and more play features in the 4" line for the kiddies!!" NO! That is NOT what we want. Nobody gives a rat's bunger about 6" Star Wars figures. You would think you would remeber the travesty that was Epic Force. Remember when that chewed the hell out of your quarterly earnings? I want figures that are compatible with the last 25 years of action figures. Let me tell you something Hasbr:greedy:, little kids think Star Wars in uncool. They see Star Wars figures on the peg at Wal-mart and roll their eyes. It's not hip to be a fan of action figures. So that leaves you with the older collectors that grace the forums at SirSteves, at CollectStarWars, and AmericanDreamComics. You would do well to listen to them. They are the bread and butter of your franchise. They are the reason you keep or lose your jobs. If you hadn't kept everybody in the dark so long about your super secret plans for Episode II figures, you wouldn't be looking at a total washout, come April 22nd.

Okay, who wants this soapbox next?

InsaneJediGirl
02-05-2002, 02:44 PM
I'll have to agree with that JEDIpartnr..but just one question.

How come you didnt get a green pepper with that salad?Was it
damaged too?Did it have worms?Not green enough?Too expensive?:happy:

General Veers
02-05-2002, 05:00 PM
I say that Hasbro cares 30% about the adult or young adult collector, and 70% about the kids. Even though the collectors are spending more money on their stuff then the kids do, Hasbro continues to ignore it. I agree with LTbasker, if there is a an obscure enough figure that both the collector and the kids will want, Hasbro will amke it. If the kids wouldn't like ot, there's a different story.:crazed: :(

SithDroid
02-05-2002, 11:24 PM
I agree. I don't see many children going out and buying the $40 TIE Interceptor or B-Wing or the $100 Naboo Royal Crusier. It is the fans that buy many of the vehicles and the 12" line. No child has $20 a pop to buy a figure like that and I bet that most kids only buy one figure at a time unlike most collectors who buy multiples and the whole wave at once. I remember when I was a kid, I never got everything all the time. My Mom didn't have the money to get me everything at once. We would wait for special occasions such as birthdays and Christmas to get a lot of the stuff we wanted. Hasbro should realize that the collectors ARE what is keeping the line going.

Wolfwood319
02-06-2002, 01:20 AM
Rollo's post couldn't be more right. Kids do NOT buy star wars ANYTHING. Kids do not play with "action figures" anymore. They get video games, scooters, and stuff like that.

Here's an experiment, go to a local Wal-Mart, Target, etc. and stand around in the toy aisle for about an hour. See what type of people come to the aisle. You get kids 12 and up looking at McFarlane, Digimon, Pokemon, etc. You get guys ages 18 and up looking at Star Wars, G.I. Joe, etc. Then compare what type of products Star Wars and G.I. Joes' are to what the little kids look at/buy.

I don't know an single kid under the age of 12 who even knows that a new star wars movie is coming out this year. Star Wars isn't "cool" to kids in elementary and junior high school anymore. Kids just don't buy action figures anymore.

Hasbro's marketing strategy come April/May will totally be off target, then come Dec. 2002/Jan. 2003, you'll see the end of the Star Wars line. There might be some E3 stuff, but not enough to constitute another new line, and not stuff collectors will be into.

Mark my words, the end of SW collecting is near...

Deoxyribonucleic
02-06-2002, 01:27 AM
I am not going to wait in line for toys like I did for EP1. I will be patient because eventually the figures will be around somewhere. I am also not going to buy them all...maybe just jango fett but even then I'm not sure. I dunno, I'm sorta excited for the new film but I guess because I'm so old, I am very very very partial to the original trilogy and will spend my hard earned cash on product from it. And besides, those new EP2 figure sculps look not so good to the eyes! I dunno, they really look like a bunch o hunks of day glo plastic too me. No character...no nothin'

Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways. LOL After all the first 3 years are the formative ones, when we learn to be who we are.

LONG LIVE THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY!

JetsAndHeels
02-06-2002, 08:32 AM
As a collector, I agree with what I have read in this forum.
Hasbro has no respect for us, the collectors. As I was reading
the various posts, I thought about some of my experiences collecting, like making my "runs" looking for figures. I can recall buying the entire FX wave all at once. I also recall dropping over $300 on May 3, 1999 when the EP1 toys came out (as many others did).
Other examples come to mind, but there are too many to mention.
My point is that I am only one of the countless collectors and fans who gives Hasbro its money. WE are the ones who make Hasbro what it is.
Basically about the kid issue-Yes, kids do like Star Wars, but you will not see a kid go into TRU, Wal-Mart, etc and put down anywhere from $20-$100 for Star Wars toys. Collectors will.
Kids usually lean towards things like the lightsabers and the video games, not always the toys. They play with the toys, but they do not collect them.
I am eagerly awaiting the AOTC toys, but I am not going to be a completist with these as I was with the EP1 toys. I think Hasbro needs to take a minute and really look at who pays their salaries.
It is us, the collectors.
Enough said.

Bosskman
02-06-2002, 11:06 AM
I agree that us kids from the 70's and 80's are the primary buyers of actual "toys" in the sense that we understand them. Kids these days want video games, cigarettes, new clothes, music, and stuff that we wanted in junior high. Kids might play with toys in kindergarten but that's about it. More adults buy toys that Hasbro thinks, people my age buy them for thier kids, but their kids don't want them. It's just an excuse to buy them for themselves. It's a strange phenomenon that we had as kids in the 70's and 80's. We played with toys until at least grade six and there are some of us who have continued to get them, even though the shame ate us alive at the time. I remember being terrified of having kids at my junior high and high schools finding out I still got toys only to discover years later that most of them, even the so-called cool ones did too. Now most of us are no longer ashamed of buying them and still do. Kids I know today don't want the toys that we wanted in the 80's. The world is different now and chilhood as we knew it then does not exist in the kids of today. It still exists in us kids of the late 70's-early 80's though, and that's why toy companies keep crankin' em out.

Jayspawn
02-06-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm with ya Jedi Master Sal! Hasbro doesn't give much a hind end about what collectors want. Does somebody from Hasbro actually talk to collectors to see what kind of characters or features they want? NO!Thats where one of the problems are.

Amanamike
02-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Oh boy do I hear you on that one Bosskman. You took the words right outa my mouth. I have a 5 year old and I buy him figures so he cna open his so I can keep mine in the packages. This way I can get the best of both worlds. And the truth is he gets bored of em after a while so I get em

Obi-Don
02-13-2002, 08:16 AM
My son got bored with his and gave them to me also. It really is to bad that Hasbro doesn't listen or care because the main scorce of money they get is from us not the kids. I wish they would open up a site where we as collectors could express our feelings and wants and they really cared about it. But we all know that will never happen.

Yes I will buy the EPII stuff,but only what I like. I don't see me putting out a lot of money tring to collect all of it. I never did try to have a complete collection anyways. This is for me and my collection is mine. So in that I only collect what I like.