PDA

View Full Version : 300

General_Grievous
03-09-2007, 07:43 PM
I was going to post this in "What have you watched recently?" but this movie deserves its own thread.

THIS MOVIE KICKED @$$!!!! Watching it was like getting a shot of adrenaline to the heart. It got me pumped. It had some of the best action scenes I've ever seen. I thought that the battle sequences even beat out "The Matrix" for sheer excitement. And the gore was pretty much expected...it's based on a Frank Miller graphic novel, after all. Those decapitations were gruesome. But it was amazing, and at the end, I wanted more. It even inspired a new avatar. In fact, I think I'm going to buy the graphic novel.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I LOVED this flick, quite a bit. Here is the review I posted on my blog:

"300"- Frank Miller's classic fantasy retelling of the Battle of Thermopylae hits the big screen in vibrant, blood infested, action packed glory!! The story begins with a brief history of Spartan life, narrated by Dilios (David "Faramir" Wenham), who lets the audience know of some of the customs of Spartan life, such as being sent out in the fields when you're seven to fend for yourself, your inspection at birth (Spartans had a tradition if you were inspected at birth and were deformed, you were lobbed off a cliff; ouch) and so on. The film then cuts to a group of Persian messengers who are riding into Sparta, carrying the heads of fallen Kings. It seems that the Persian King, Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) is invading Greece, attempting to claim new lands for his rule. We then meet King Leonidas, played very well by Gerard Butler ("The Phantom of the Opera"). He is the King of Sparta and is in the middle of teaching his son some moves with a sword when he is interrupted by the persians who demand an offering of "Earth and water" as a pledge to Xerxes that they will stand down, and allow his men to overrun Sparta, taking Leonidas and his people as servants and slaves. Leonidas, who is slightly angry at the messenger for obvious reasons, including the messenger insulting his wife, Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey), decides that yes, THIS IS SPARTA! and kicks the messenger and his crew down a well, sealing the war that is in the distance. After being denied help by his corrupt council, Leonidas, gathers a group of men and volunteers who will march north in an effort to stall the incoming persian army. This film is a fantastic epic. The fight scenes, often cut up with bits of slowed down sequences that constantly speed up (it sounds odd, but it's badass) give the viewer an up close and personal view of the carnage as Leonidas and his men fight for their freedom. Butler is great as Leonidas, a man who is trying to do the best for his people, ignoring the politicians and defending his country from an invading army lead by a tyrant. He loves his family, his country, but he is also willing to slice and dice whomever he must to defend them. Headey is solid as Gorgo, a woman amongst men who will do whatever she can to get her husband aid. She also has to deal with the slimy Theron (Dominic West), a corrupted councilman who wants nothing to do with the war, but only to join Xerxes and find financial gain after the battle. Butler's supporting cast is solid as well with Wenham as Dilios, the motivational storyteller who rallies Leonidas and his men and is responsbile (fictionally (is that a word?)) for getting the story about Leonidas and his men out (if anybody knows if this was based off a real guy, let me know, thanks) and to movitate the rest of Greece. He also has a great relationship with his captain, Artemis, who is played really well by Vincent Regan (we now forgive you for, "Troy" Vincent). Artemis is a trusted friend and captain, but also a loyal citizen of Sparta who allows his son to join the forces. Another honorable mention must go out to Andrew Tiernan, who braved 10 hours of makeup each day to play the infamous hunch backed traitor, Ephialtes, the creature responsible for betraying the Spartans.

The colors and landscapes are gorgeous and I had the pleasure of seeing this with a DLP treatement, meaning highest quality and least amount of graininess and it was enchanting. The colors are sharp, vibrant, but also very washed and dark when they need to be. They're perfect and mirror Miller's artwork wonderfully (I read the book last summer). Along with the colors, the cinematography by But if you're squeamish about violence, steer FAAAAAAAAAAR away from this flick. The blood is all CGI, but it's pretty splatterific with heads getting removed, tendons getting sliced, legs lobbed off, hands cut, eyes stabbed, etc. It's ultraviolence as it's freedom defending best! The score is also very excellent (got it on now), done by Tyler Bates ("Dawn of the Dead") as he incorporates lots of low percussion beats with choirs to achieve a grand scale of music. I loved this flick quite a bit. Some folks are drawing parallels to the current war and the Bush administration, some saying Bush is the tyrant whereas other saying he is the defender and while I can ALMOST see a point for that, it seems kinda obnoxious and like overkill. The message of the film is simple: fight for what you believe in, give you life for it and dont' think twice for defending your home or those you love and hold dear. Director Zack Snyder ("Dawn of the Dead" remake) has hit another home run with his second flick, doing a great job bringing another one of Frank Miller's classic graphic novels to the big screen. This is epic movie making at it's best. See it. NOW. Rating- **** out of ****

I'm uber happy I bought a set of the figures including an extra King Leonidas figure for my bookshelf so i can talk to it.
"Man Leonidas, I had a hard day of teaching. what should I do?"
"PREPARE FOR GLORY!"
"that's great, Leo, but seriously, what can i do to relieve stress?"
"This is SPARTA!"
"Seriously man, you are no help."

I'm looking forward to many awkward conversations with myself. :crazed: :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
03-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reviews guys. I will catch this one on Monday since I'm watching the ACC Tournament this weekend.

UKWildcat
03-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Great review JMG!

I saw this earlier today, caught the first showing actually. If you all didn't know, this was the movie I was most looking forward to this year... yup, it sure was. And let me tell you, it was AWESOME!!! Well worth the wait, which was many many months for me.

As JMG metioned so brilliantly, the cinematography was breath-taking and added it's own dimension to the film. It was phenominal; you felt as if you were right there, right on the battlefield, in all its GLORY. ;) This movie should definitely get the nod and win in the cinematography category come the next Oscars. I will be shocked if it doesn't.

The special effects were outstanding as well. Everything. The landscapes, since like 90+% was filmed on a blue screen (and green), were very well done (ala Sin City). The battle sequences were top notch. I am usually not a fan of slow-motion, but these were well done and almost neccessary. If they weren't slowed down you couldn't see all the limb cutting, spear stabbing, sword slicing, blood splattering GLORY (damn, why do I keep coming back to that word? lol ;) ). Like I said, the slow-mo was implemented in a fantastic way. I rather enjoyed the blood and gore aspect of the fight sequences as well. I mean, it is based off a (Frank Miller) graphic novel. Everything is usually over the top. And for the monsters. The "Giant" was just bad a**, and easily my favorite. Man was that guy a beast. And I wished we had gotten to see more of the "decapitator". That guy was serious. Ephialtes was quite a speciman. All of the creatures/monsters/beasts from the blackness were awesome. I wish we got to see more of all of them actually. Hopefully there will be some sort of an extended cut.

Evidentally a lot of people (reviewers) didn't like the acting; I thought the acting was quite good. Gerard Butler (Leonidas) is a total bad a**. I thought he did an outstanding job. So did Dilios. Queen Gorgo (Headey) did a great job too. I mean, sure the acting wasn't flawless and top notch, and I doubt anyone will win (or even get nominated) for an Oscar for acting/supporting actor, but I have seen much, MUCH worse. Overall I thought the acting was good, pretty good actually.

I could easily go on and on about this movie, but I won't... atleast for now. I will spare you.

I actually plan to see this again in the theater, within the next couple of weeks. I have a couple more free movie passes that I got from those Best Buy exclusive 300 discs that I need to use. I was really stoked to find that my local theater accepted those free tickets since they weren't listed on the web site, but hey, I would have paid the $7 to see it anyways. Easily. And I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

When I got home I checked out the "300:First Look" on HBO that I recorded. It was pretty cool. I'm glad I checked that out after seeing the movie. Something told me I should wait. The training those actors (Spartans) went through was just crazy. Looked like 8 weeks of pure hell. After that, I knocked out all of the extras on the 300 Best Buy dvd. I just didn't want the experience to end. lol

Final thoughts: Awesome movie!!! Will probably be my favorite of the year!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

preacher
03-09-2007, 10:31 PM
This movie is AWESOME. Simply AWESOME. I don't know a lot about greek history so I was almost certain that most of the battle was hokum.

But out of curiousity I cracked open "The Oxford History of the Classical World," and discovered, much to my shock, that this movie is a very accurate depiction of what happened.

Direct quote from Oxford:

"In the pass Leonidas' men held out magnificiently for two days against the best that Xerxes could send at them. But on the third the Persians found an ill-guarded mountain track and moved round on Leonidas' rear. Most of the Greeks were sent home, but Leonidas, his famed 300, and the men of Thespiae, who merit equal fame, remained; the Thebans stayed too-but not because they wanted to. All but the Thebans, who surrendered, fought and died. It was almost a victory"

Slicker
03-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm liking these reviews but I'm not gonna let 'em get my hopes TOO high. I'm seeing it tomorrow afternoon so I'll be back.

As for the historical portion of it, it's very loosely based on the Battle of Thermoplyae where 300 men face 1,000,000 men (although that's debated). There was only one way to go and that was through a narrow pass said to be only big enough for 2-3 men to walk side by side through, a classic defenseable position.

bobafrett
03-10-2007, 12:25 AM
My son wants to see this, so I may take him Sunday night to view it. He is 16, and used to a lot of gore.

jonthejedi
03-10-2007, 05:13 AM
This movie rocked my world(Slicker, you'll love it!!)...and evidently alot of other people...I must have seen hundreds of high school & college -age students playing hookey(yes I'm much older). Was there a school holiday or something??? I have to buy Frank Miller's hardcover now, and maybe some action figures(Neca, I think). Does anyone remember another movie(I'm giving my tender age away) called 300 Spartans(I remember as a kid). Check it out! I think they even used stock footage from it in an old Time Tunnel episode. The stunts in 300 were beyond The Matrix. Is this film actually playing somewhere in IMAX...surely not the R-rated version?

General_Grievous
03-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Is this film actually playing somewhere in IMAX...surely not the R-rated version?

Yes. I believe this is the second R-rated film they've shown. The first one was V for Vendetta last March.

UKWildcat
03-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I must have seen hundreds of high school & college -age students playing hookey(yes I'm much older). Was there a school holiday or something???
I know it is Spring Break for a lot of college students.

Does anyone remember another movie(I'm giving my tender age away) called 300 Spartans(I remember as a kid). Check it out!

I've never seen this movie, but I've heard of it, and I will definitely check it out.

I plan on collecting all of the action figures too. They look really cool. And I will probably get the graphic novel as well. :D

Darth Jax
03-10-2007, 05:03 PM
can't say much that hasn't already been said about the flick. good, bloody movie.

2-1B
03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
It was good for the most part but way over the top in some scenes. WTF is with the goat boy on screen for 1/8th of a second and the guy with the sharp flipper arms used for decapitation? The masked ninja guys were silly but amusing. I was waiting for Anakin Skywalker to come on screen and start Force-taming that Reek or maybe Legolas would have come surfing down one of those big elephants. Now that they have action figures for 300 and The Goonies, that makes 2 Sloth figures in under a year. lol

I think it was a fun movie but it will probably get a little old hearing people chat over the flick since it's gonna be the next big thing. Gerard Butler was great, no doubt, but it was also nice to see McNulty from The Wire playing a slimy villain. :grin:

UKWildcat
03-10-2007, 11:12 PM
WTF is with the goat boy on screen for 1/8th of a second and the guy with the sharp flipper arms used for decapitation?
That goat thing was humorous and very random, hell just about everything in that sequence was random. I liked the decapitator. I would have liked to have seen him in battle.

I'm actually surprised you went and saw this Caesar, but I'm glad you did. Good to hear you enjoyed it (for the most part).

Btw- It had an opening of 27 million on Friday, which is pretty damn good. It'll be interesting to see how it does the rest of the weekend.

2-1B
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Why are you surprised? I can appreciate gore and violence like the next guy. :D
JimJam was there too, and I should add that there were Palpatine comparisons being made to those old pervert leper guys in robes who were spazzing over the oracle. lol lol lol

UKWildcat
03-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Why are you surprised?
If I remember correctly, you weren't looking forward to it being released and you didn't see what all the hoopla was about. It just seemed like you weren't at all interested in it. I could be mistaken. :nerv:

If I'm mistaken, please don't hurt me. :sad:

JimJam was there too, and I should add that there were Palpatine comparisons being made to those old pervert leper guys in robes who were spazzing over the oracle. lol lol lol

lol

:thumbsup:

Slicker
03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to see it today because the show I was gonna see was sold out.

I bought a ticket for tomorrow so I'll give my long awaited review tomorrow. :thumbsup:

RooJay
03-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Aww man! AWW man. Aww...MAN!!! That was just awesome! Even the wife loved it (she wants to be a Sartan now, which is kinda freaky but anyway!) Queen Gorgo...so HOT!:love: We aim to see it again tomorrow.

2-1B
03-10-2007, 11:59 PM
If I remember correctly, you weren't looking forward to it being released and you didn't see what all the hoopla was about. It just seemed like you weren't at all interested in it. I could be mistaken. :nerv:

If I'm mistaken, please don't hurt me. :sad:

lol

:thumbsup:

I might have, I probably wasn't big on the previews at first. I watched the preview thing on HBO and that's probably what got me interested. You've got a better memory than me, Yuke. :D

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see it today because the show I was gonna see was sold out.

I bought a ticket for tomorrow so I'll give my long awaited review tomorrow.

That happened to me for Borat so we just bought tix for Man of the Year and went into the wrong room. ;)

RooJay
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
That happened to me for Borat so we just bought tix for Man of the Year and went into the wrong room. ;)

Which means that someone who probably got there earlier and actually had a ticket ended up without a seat! As a former theater manager I've just got to say it - not cool man.:whip:

...but the movie was wicked funny, no?:thumbsup:

jonthejedi
03-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Yes, I'm in the mood to put on Troy, and watch Achilles slice his cool way up that beach to the Trojan temple. "Immortality...it's yours!"

JimJamBonds
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Don't forget about Leonidas eating that apple as the Spartan's finish off those that hadn't died yet. All in all it was a great movie, like Caesar said it was over the top in certain reguards. I'm not all that familar with warfare during that time but I thought they did a great job of showing the technique's of the time.

General_Grievous
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Don't forget about Leonidas eating that apple as the Spartan's finish off those that hadn't died yet.

I loved that scene. When Leonidas says "There's no reason we can't be civil" as the other soldier kills a guy on the ground and says "No, sir." :D

BTW, I just read the graphic novel. It's too short, particularly the battles. Plus, the queen is barely in it. While I liked the comic, I actually thought the movie was better. It fleshed out (no pun intended) everything a bit more.

EDIT: I just saw that 300 made $70 million this weekend. That's very impressive for an R rated film as well as a March release. My take on it? The marketing helped. A lot.

UKWildcat
03-11-2007, 01:32 PM
EDIT: I just saw that 300 made $70 million this weekend. That's very impressive for an R rated film as well as a March release. My take on it? The marketing helped. A lot.

That's actually a record for March. To elaborate a bit further, here is a yahoo article on 300's success at the box office.

"300" racks up record body count at box office

Sun Mar 11, 1:41 PM ET

Heads rolled at the weekend box office in North America as the blood-soaked ancient epic "300" slaughtered its foes in spectacular fashion.

The grim warrior tale sold an estimated $70 million worth of tickets during its first three days of release, setting a new record for a March release, the film's distributor Warner Bros. Pictures said on Sunday.

Heading into the weekend, the most bullish oracles had forecast an opening in the $50 million range. The special-effects extravaganza, with a largely unknown cast, cost in the mid-$60 million range to produce, the Time Warner Inc-owned studio said.

Scottish actor Gerard Butler stars as Leonidas, the hunky king of the Spartans, who leads 300 of his warriors to glorious death at the Battle of Thermopylae against a massive Persian army commanded by the fey king Xerxes (Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro). Zack Snyder ("Dawn of the Dead") directed the adaptation of comic book writer Frank Miller's graphic novel.

"300" earned largely positive reviews, despite or because of its myriad decapitations and balletic battlefield carnage. The last few chart-toppers, incumbent champ "Wild Hogs," "Ghost Rider" and "Norbit" were slammed by the critics.

FEMALE APPEAL

Audiences were "hungry to go to something that looks this unique," said Mark Canton, one of the film's producers.

Even though "300" is tailor-made for male moviegoers, it also rated highly with women, because the filmmakers enlarged the role of Leonidas' queen (played by Lena Headey) to make her a "true partner" of the king, Canton said.

Its achievement was all the more noteworthy given that the previous record-holder for the month, 2006's "Ice Age 2: The Meltdown," with $68 million, was a family-oriented cartoon, while "300" is an unabashedly gruesome spectacle with an "R" rating that prevents viewers under 17 attending without adult supervision.

In fact, the opening for "300" ranks as the third-highest for an R-rated movie, behind "The Matrix Reloaded" ($91 million) and "The Passion of the Christ" ($83 million).

"300" also opened in a few small Asian markets, and reaches Britain in two weeks, said Canton. Action-packed period epics, such as 2004's "Troy," often do much better overseas.

Walt Disney Co.'s surprise hit "Wild Hogs," starring John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, William H. Macy and Tim Allen as unlikely road warriors, slipped to No. 2 with $28 million; its 10-day total rose to $77.4 million.

The next three movies were separated by less than $100,000, and rankings could change when final data are released on Monday. Disney's childhood saga "Bridge to Terabithia" rose one to No. 3 with $6.9 million, followed by Columbia Pictures' Nicolas Cage action movie "Ghost Rider" and Paramount Pictures' serial-killer thriller "Zodiac" with about $6.8 million each.

"Bridge to Terabithia" has earned $67.0 million after four weeks, and "Ghost Rider" $104.1 million, also after four weeks. "Ghost Rider" is the first 2007 release to cross the century mark; the "Ice Age" sequel took the honors last year in the second week of April. "Zodiac" has $23.7 million after two weeks. Columbia Pictures is a unit of Sony Corp . Paramount Pictures is a unit of Viacom Inc.

2-1B
03-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Which means that someone who probably got there earlier and actually had a ticket ended up without a seat! As a former theater manager I've just got to say it - not cool man.:whip:

B.S. :rolleyes: They never sell every seat in the house, there are always some overflow spots.

General_Grievous
03-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, there are always about 15 seats left in the front rows.

Slicker
03-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Finally went out and saw this today since it was sold out yesterday.

Very find flick and I'd definitely like to see it again.

Everything I'd say has already been said so I'll just leave it alone.

Except for the bubes. Those were very nice. Especially the red head oracle...

General_Grievous
03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Except for the bubes. Those were very nice. Especially the red head oracle...

Wouldn't you say it was cold on set when they shot the love scene? :p

I just saw it again with some friends of mine. I guess that's saying something, since I rarely see movies twice anymore, save for the occasional summer blockbuster.

JimJamBonds
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Some cool replica props from the movie will be coming out....

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/300_The_Movie.html

2-1B
03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I'd like to get Xerxes' facial piercings in replica form...

Slicker
03-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I'd really like some good action figures (if they already haven't been made) by McFarlane. I'd like a Xerxes and that fat dude with the sword arms. Maybe even the giant.

JimJamBonds
03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I'd like to get Xerxes' facial piercings in replica form...

That can be arranged I just purchased a new hole punch.

I'd really like some good action figures (if they already haven't been made) by McFarlane. I'd like a Xerxes and that fat dude with the sword arms. Maybe even the giant.

I'd pick up Quasimoto... I mean Chunk... I mean Ephialtes.

bobafrett
03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I saw it, but the one thing I didn't like, was considering all the blood that splattered everywhere when the killing was going on, I saw none of it on the Sparta's, other than there own wounds. I watched as enemy upon enemy got sliced and diced, and yet there wasn't a whole lot of blood on the sheilds nor bodies of the ones who were in direct line of blood flowing.

Phantom-like Menace
03-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Awesome movie, though as much as we enjoyed it, my friend and I Mystery Science Theater 3000ed it mercilessly afterward. The most important thing I learned from the movie: if you're betraying Sparta, keep your coin purse away from vital organs.

WTF is with the goat boy on screen for 1/8th of a second and the guy with the sharp flipper arms used for decapitation?

Yeah, when I saw the movie, the whole audience kind of released a collective "huh?" in regard to goat boy. The decapitator: kind of wasn't as weird as random goat boy, so we were better prepared by that time.

Don't forget about Leonidas eating that apple as the Spartan's finish off those that hadn't died yet.

The discussion about hoping he gets assassinated gave my theater a pretty good laugh.

I'm not all that familar with warfare during that time but I thought they did a great job of showing the technique's of the time.

I was a tad annoyed that the last two things a Spartan would ever do in a battle were give up his spear and break ranks. These Spartans happily threw their spears and broke ranks immediately.

JimJamBonds
03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I was a tad annoyed that the last two things a Spartan would ever do in a battle were give up his spear and break ranks. These Spartans happily threw their spears and broke ranks immediately.

While it looked cool I'm not so sure that 'hop thrust' move they did was 100% on.

General_Grievous
03-12-2007, 12:04 AM

NECA's made some figures.

http://www.necaonline.com/product/listbysubtype/2?license=128

The first wave includes Leonidas, the Queen, Ephialtes (the hunchback), and an Immortal Warrior. They haven't announced a second wave yet, but I would hope they could produce Xerxes (definitely a must), the fat executioner, the giant (maybe in a box set with Leonidas), and some more Spartans like Dilios (the one who narrated the movie) and Stelios (the one who said "then we will fight in the shade")

bigbarada
03-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Even though "300" is tailor-made for male moviegoers, it also rated highly with women, because the filmmakers enlarged the role of Leonidas' queen (played by Lena Headey) to make her a "true partner" of the king, Canton said.

I don't really believe that's why women are going to see it. It most likely has more to do with all the half-naked, muscular men swinging swords around.

It's the same reason that the UFC has developed such a strong and completely unexpected female fan following.

Slicker
03-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Those figures aren't too bad looking. I've never really been a fan of the NECA sculpting though. It's almost a bit caricatureish sometimes.

plasticfetish
03-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Talking about historic accuracy and all that, here's an article from USA Today. (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/columnist/vergano/2007-03-05-300-history_N.htm?csp=1)

My understanding (from something I'd read), is that it's told and treated like any epic story might be told -- blown out of proportion or exaggerated like a storyteller might do to make it more exciting. But for the most part it's rooted in reality.

Haven't see the film yet BTW, but I'm hoping to see it soon. (And for the record, I think the NECA figures are great.)

Rocketboy
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Don't really have much to add to the conversation (big surprise, huh?)m but I saw 300 last night and I thought it was awesome.

UKWildcat
03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
It's good to hear that a lot of people are seeing and liking this movie (for the most part). :thumbsup:

Even Gerard checked out the film. (http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/12/300-hunk-forks-over-11/) lol

General_Grievous
03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Since the film had such a great opening weekend and gained back its cost and then some, do you think that there is a possibility of a sequel? Frank Miller could write the script, and it could pick up where "300" left off. It could depict the final battles between the Spartans and Persians.

Rocketboy
03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I was looking up the actors on IMDB and came across Dominic West (Theron).
It says he played a palace guard in Star Wars Episode 1.
http://imdb.com/name/nm0922035/

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Since the film had such a great opening weekend and gained back its cost and then some, do you think that there is a possibility of a sequel? Frank Miller could write the script, and it could pick up where "300" left off. It could depict the final battles between the Spartans and Persians.

God, I would hope not!! This movie is successful because it's fresh, has a new look and is a great two hours. Anything else afterwards would just feel like a rehash. I don't see it happening. Miller is too smart and will steer clear from a sequel.

General_Grievous
03-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Well, the execs at WB will inevitably look at the numbers and order up a sequel. I would just want it made in the best possible way.

RooJay
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM
B.S. :rolleyes: They never sell every seat in the house, there are always some overflow spots.

And yet, I always ended up having to apologize and give refunds to dozens of people who bought tickets and couldn't get seats. The overflow is never as much as you think (usually about 30) and is almost never enough to cover for all the 'hoppers' of which there are usually many more than you think. Fo' shame!

As far as the figures go, the Queen Gorgo figure is about the most beautifully designed and sculpted female figure I have ever seen! Almost no articulation but she doesn't really require it. The real deal herself was pretty awesome too!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
03-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Without King Leonidas in it wouldn't be the same type of movie although I would see 30,000 ;) instead I'd say a prequel would work better.

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I am just getting back from seeing it. Thought it was a superb film, great acting and battle scenes. Leonidas had some great quotes I thought, especially about "how we can still be civil" while his men were impaling the wounded Persian soldiers. :)

RooJay
03-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I am just getting back from seeing it. Thought it was a superb film, great acting and battle scenes. Leonidas had some great quotes I thought, especially about "how we can still be civil" while his men were impaling the wounded Persian soldiers. :)

"There's no reason we can't be civil."

bigbarada
03-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Just watched this tonight. Great movie!!:thumbsup: Loved it!

I'm wondering if there will be some extended scenes on the DVD, because there seemed to be some areas where they could have added in another battle scene or two.

UKWildcat
03-20-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm sure there will be some sort of an Extended Cut released on DVD, maybe similar to that of Sin City.

I caught this movie yesterday for the 2nd time and my opinion hasn't changed. Awesome movie, one of my favorites. :thumbsup:

Val Da Car
03-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Took my wife to see 300 on a newly built "Ultra" screen (like 50% to 70% larger than a regular screen) and curved.

She loved it and really enjoyed the film's look and story.

I got the Bonus DVD the first week of March that showed the extrodinary training these guys did for this film.

It makes me want to work out like that!!!

Great film, I will see again on the big screen and I will own this one on DVD.

Now that the director Zack Snyder has finished this, maybe The Watchmen (which will be directed by him also) might be a good film and not given the Paul W. S. Anderson treatment.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-24-2007, 06:37 PM
My friend sent me this and It's pretty damndd hysterical. It's a recut PG edition of the "300" trailer. I laughed, hysterically.

Hope you folks enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqiSkd1M6k :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
03-24-2007, 09:57 PM
My face hurts from laughing so hard!:D

JetsAndHeels
03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Brush your teeth!!

UKWildcat
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Maybe there is something wrong with me because I didn't find it to be all that funny. I don't even know if I laughed once. :confused:

2-1B
03-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Took my wife to see 300 on a newly built "Ultra" screen (like 50% to 70% larger than a regular screen) and curved.

Is that the one in Waukesha? I heard they are opening a DOUBLE Ultra theater there, with 2 Ultras at the same cinema.

Maybe there is something wrong with me because I didn't find it to be all that funny. I don't even know if I laughed once. :confused:

I know I didn't. Changing Hell to Heck is pretty stupid because in that context, Hell is a place and not a curse word. Then the animated additions started and it just got worse.

Tonysmo
03-26-2007, 12:02 AM
awesome movie.

not sure if ya'll have seen these :)

http://liveu-72.vo.llnwd.net/flurl/media2/jpg/2007/3/25/FLURL-dot-com-240443_301.jpg

http://liveu-74.vo.llnwd.net/flurl/media2/jpg/2007/3/25/FLURL-dot-com-240445_302.jpg

http://liveu-11.vo.llnwd.net/flurl/media2/gif/2007/3/25/FLURL-dot-com-240446_303.gif

Slicker
03-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Red sauce on pasta!!!

That's too damn much for me!

UKWildcat
04-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I just got back from seeing this movie again and I loved it just the same; excellent film!!! This is the first movie that I have seen more than once at the theater in a very long time. :thumbsup:

...and I still can't wait for the dvd release. :D

Kidhuman
04-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Awesome movie. I loved it.

UKWildcat is a great guy. He is on myspace.

JimJamBonds
04-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Does anybody know how does the film compare to the graphic novel?

General_Grievous
04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
I actually liked it better than the graphic novel. The movie expands on so many more elements of the story. For example, the queen is only in one page of the graphic novel. But the graphic novel is still a great read.

UKWildcat
05-15-2007, 03:13 PM
The release date for the 300 dvd is set for July 31st! There is a single disc and a two disc version being released. I'll be getting the two-discer for sure! :thumbsup:

Here is the link to the specs and cover art at dvdactive (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/300.html).

Looks awesome, can't wait!!! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
05-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Two disc version for me as well. I just wish it was released a bit sooner, but oh well.

RooJay
05-16-2007, 12:22 AM
As usual, I prefer the cover art for the regular version - yes, I have a man-crush on King Leonidas.

General_Grievous
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I'm lovin' the two disc art, but I think the single disc version looks photoshopped.

UKWildcat
05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
I prefer the 2-disc art as well, for the most part. The regular version looks too poster-ish. I prefer the back of the regular version to the two-discer though; that giant is just amazing! If they did the 2-discer on front with the regular verison art on the back, I'd be extremely pleased. But I'm still happy, I can't wait to get this. I'm also hoping for a 3 disc Uncut version sometime down the road; very similar to that of Sin City; that would be freakin' awesome! :D

Qui-Long Gone
05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Does anybody know how does the film compare to the graphic novel?

I liked the film better than the novel....although the novel was excellent for a graphic novel....the film had a great (hot, hot, hot) sub plot for Queen Gorgo, a nasty traitor Theron and of course a great sound track....

Beast
06-24-2007, 08:05 PM
First Store Exclusives information is starting to trickle in.

Neat. Much cooler than the Best Buy exclusive V for Vendetta set w/ mask. :)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/products/large/dvd2135802.jpg

Rocketboy
06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice.
And I really liked the V for Vendetta mask.
This would look pretty cool displayed with it.

JimJamBonds
06-26-2007, 11:19 PM
The release date for the 300 dvd is set for July 31st! There is a single disc and a two disc version being released. I'll be getting the two-discer for sure! :thumbsup:

Here is the link to the specs and cover art at dvdactive (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/300.html).

Looks awesome, can't wait!!! :thumbsup:

And I can't wait for Caesar to burn me a copy. :D

Rocketboy
06-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey, that is illegal!

JimJamBonds
06-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey, that is illegal!

Errr I mean I can't wait 'till Caesar gets it on NetFlicks and we watch it on 'movie night.'

UKWildcat
06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
lol You all crazy.

I'll probably bite on one of the exclusives too. I like the Best Buy set but there are a bunch of other exclusives too. I know someone is releasing a Tin and a Steelbook, which I love; I'm a sucker for those Steelbooks. lol :thumbsup: I would post links but I'm too lazy right now, I'll supply them later unless someone beats me to it.

UKWildcat
08-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Question for those of you who purchased the Best Buy Exclusive Set (or any other non-Walmart version for that matter):

Did the inside dvd case come with a Walmart insert containing a code to receive the free movie download? Mine did and I thought this was kind of odd, so I was wondering if this was some sort of screw up?!?!?

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Question for those of you who purchased the Best Buy Exclusive Set (or any other non-Walmart version for that matter):

Did the inside dvd case come with a Walmart insert containing a code to receive the free movie download? Mine did and I thought this was kind of odd, so I was wondering if this was some sort of screw up?!?!?

I purchased the 2 disc set from FYE and got no such insert. Maybe it was included in the Best Buy sets as a freebie?

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 05:57 PM
What's on the Target exclusive disc? It seems to have sold out at all the local Targets already. :( Just wondering if I missed out on something worthwhile.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I read that it had "90 minutes of downloadable documentaries". Probably not even worth it.

2-1B
08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Our Netflix version did not include it.

lol

UKWildcat
08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Our Netflix version did not include it.

lol

Ugh. You didn't buy it Caesar? I thought goatboy alone would have sealed the deal on you purchasing it... ;)

2-1B
08-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I haven't bought a DVD since Clerks II . . . and won't buy another one til The Office 3 next month. :)

However, I did miss Deadwood 3 so I think I'll get that to finish the collection.

Good point about Goat Boy though, I might have to reconsider. lol

RooJay
08-03-2007, 02:41 AM
The Target exclusive seems to be exactly the same as the Wal-Mart exclusive - no extra disc, just a code to unlock an online making of. I really wonder how that makes it exclusive at all?! Speaking of, I actually had to check three different Target's and finally rummage through an electronics go-backs cart in order to find my copy. Looks like they way under-ordered, which Target seems to be really known for lately. Not a single copy of Hot Fuzz at either of the three stores, and only one had even a shelf-tag for the Fleischer Popeye box set. I'm really starting to lose confidence in what used to be my favorite store as far as DVD selection is concerned. I probably won't even bother now for the next big DVD release. Shame.

TeeEye7
08-03-2007, 04:35 AM
I'm really starting to lose confidence in what used to be my favorite store as far as DVD selection is concerned. I probably won't even bother now for the next big DVD release. Shame.

The same is happening at the southern end of the state, as well. I thought maybe it was just stores in my town, but seeing it's happening in the Bay Area is disappointing. I hope they reverse the trend. Target has been my source for DVDs as well, RJ.

mm74md
08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
I picked up the Best Buy set (the Helm is friggin' sweet). There is some text on the box that says you can download a digital copy. I haven't opened it yet so I don't know what the code is.

Rocketboy
08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
There is a pretty cool easter egg on disc 1.
In the Special Features menu, press up a few times. You'll see it light up.
Its 6 minutes long and goes into how hard it was for Zach Snyder to get the movie made and shows some of the test footage he created in order to get the studio to commit.

Kidhuman
08-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I justr bought it today. Bought the basic version of WS at WM. I dont care too much for bonus features on them.

UKWildcat
08-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I picked up the Best Buy set (the Helm is friggin' sweet). There is some text on the box that says you can download a digital copy. I haven't opened it yet so I don't know what the code is.

Let me know when you open it if it has the Walmart movie download insert in it please. My copy had it included but there was no text on the box that stated it was in there.

pbarnard
08-06-2007, 12:32 AM
And no one yet has brought up the cultural relevance of this film replacing Spartacus in the pantheon of men running around with sword films.

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
And no one yet has brought up the cultural relevance of this film replacing Spartacus in the pantheon of men running around with sword films.

....because it hasn't replaced Spartacus....that's just obvious isn't it? Or have you not seen Spartacus?

pbarnard
08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
....because it hasn't replaced Spartacus....that's just obvious isn't it? Or have you not seen Spartacus?

With wrist watches and Kirk Douglas or the craptacular miniseries from a few years ago? It has at least according to certain people and places and certain student groups that spam my email.

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2007, 11:04 PM
With wrist watches and Kirk Douglas or the craptacular miniseries from a few years ago? It has at least according to certain people and places and certain student groups that spam my email.

hahahahahhah....:thumbsup:

I forgot about that miniseries :mad:

UKWildcat
08-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Re-did one of my DVD walls, made it into sort of a 300 shrine, anyways, I just thought that I'd share it with you fellow fans. I plan on adding to it with the action figures (amongst some other stuff) but I still have not purchased any of those yet... I know, I know. :sad: It's not much right now, but it's a start.

BTW - The poster is a double sided 27x40 original print, and no, the tacks aren't puncturing the poster (I haven't bought frames yet, they are quite expensive). When I have some extra money I do plan on getting some nice frames. And don't bother with the "cat border", it was there prior to me taking the room over. :D

Here's a pic:

Kidhuman
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice wall of fame.

JON9000
08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
I finally saw 300. It was the funniest movie I have ever seen. It wasn't quite as homoerotic as I had heard, although I had to snicker as a bunch of nearly naked incredibly buff dudes joked about the Athenians being boy lovers (dialogue obviously added so the target audience could be comfortable watching naked men prancing about knowing that the Spartans were definitely not gay).

Likewise, the appearance of Xerxes as a drag queen in what is ostensibly a manly-man movie made me laugh out loud. Again, the only way to make the Spartans look relatively normal in spite of their absurdity is to make the "other" completely off-the-charts in terms of perversion. I imagined Larry Craig saying, "see, I don't dress like that!"

What I found most interesting in light of the wild popularity of this movie was the creed of the Spartans and its application in the modern world. 300 is not a complex film, in case you are retarded, it beats you over the head with its message- if you are not only willing to die, but actively seek death in the name of defending your freedom, way of life, whatever; you will have everlasting glory, fame, whatever. It seems to me that the modern day Spartan is the Palestinian Suicide bomber, actively seeking martyrdom for Islam. Yes, I have a problem with that.

In spite of every 14-year-old boy on the planet seeking to ensconce this film (taking the place of Sin City) as the greatest movie yet made (and anybody who thinks otherwise is a vag), there is no new ground broken here outside of effects work. It was fun sensory escapism, but nothing more.

2-1B
08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
"Does this guy know how to party or what?" :D