PDA

View Full Version : What was the first item you passed on?

El Chuxter
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
In the entire modern era of SW figures, what was the first item that you passed on?

At first, I wasn't collecting vehicles, so I passed on the AT-ST, Millennium Falcon, and X-Wing. When I got the other vehicles on clearance, the AT-ST was no longer available, and the other two, well, I had the vintage ones and they didn't hold up.

I sort of passed on the Theater Luke, since I didn't know it was around until after the fact, when it was too late.

Several Episode I figures eluded me: Jabba w/ Announcer, Acension Gun Padme, Holo Sidious, Swimming Jar Jar, the FAO Darth Maul w/ Electronic Game, and the second series of accessory packs. Sio Bibble and the Pit Droids were on the list until recently. Except for the announcer, I'd pick up the others if I found them at a decent price, but I'm not actively hunting for them.

I never saw the AOTC Deluxe Battle Droid Factory thingie. Until Jaff's poll, I didn't realize it was actually released. That's a shame. I would've gotten it, no matter how cheap, for an additional factory platform to link the other two crappy Deluxe figure bases to.

I voluntarily passed on the second AOTC Deluxe Jango and Obi-Wan. They were expensive, looked crappy, and, well, no way were they worth $10. So I guess they're technically the first I passed on, since "passing on" is different from "missing out on." Unless the TRU Geonosis set with the binders came out before those. I can't remember.

Since then, I've been able to pass on more and more. The Arenas, Mustafar, the Tins, the 501st Trooper, Demise of Grievous, the Marvel comic sets, a few clones and holograms, and more repainted Starfighters than I can count.

Many of these I had full intentions to buy if they ever went on clearance, but I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

It feels good to not feel like I have to buy a BattlePack full of Jedi I already have just because one of them has a different paint scheme.

pbarnard
03-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Due to budget, AT-ST. Still upset about that I don't have any from any line (but now the storage limits say it's ok).

By choice: Mostly anything having to do with Episode III. Didn't get many of the characters, only got two clone sets (Clone Attack on Coruscant and Skirmish in the Senate). It stopped much sooner just because outside of creating a few dios I wasn't interested in much of anything because how many versions of chracter x does one need if one opens them up?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I've missed out on a handful of things throughout the years, but I have every intention of getting them when I can (the Celebrations are really great for getting old stuff).

It feels good to not feel like I have to buy a BattlePack full of Jedi I already have just because one of them has a different paint scheme.
This is kind of like how the Dagobah set is for me - the R2-D2 is somewhat tempting, and the repainted Luke and Vader slightly less so, but with all the stuff coming out this year that I actually want I don't know if I'd be able to justify this purchase. I'll probably end up breaking down and getting it later, just like I did with the Cantina Han last year that had a new head. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I was never a completeist off the bat. I have holes in my collection all the way back to POTF2. The first thing I knowingly passed on was SOTE figures and vehicles.

El Chuxter
03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Your mentioning SOTE reminds me: I passed on the Outrider.

mtriv73
03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I think Jabba with 2 headed announcer was the first thing I saw that I "actively" passed on (should it be "passively" passed on?) I never saw the darth maul with elctronic game so I don't know if that counts as passing on it or just not having the opportunity to buy it. There are a lot of holes in my collection where things that weren't 3-3/4" figures would go that I didn't seek out.

DarkArtist
03-14-2007, 12:21 PM
The first thing I passed on was the POTF X-Wing. At the time I already had both the original Kenner versions (Regular and Battle-Damaged) so for me it was a no brainer.

With the Saga Line I passed on some of the re-releases like Poggle the Lesser, Barada and Chewie, Endor Palpy. Also passed on the DVD Figure packs as well.

Missed out on alot of playsets like Mustafar, Geonosis, and the Arena Sets for ROTS.

Battlepacks I usually pass on unless they are clone related or have a new figure like the Battle of Ilum. I think I only picked up Mace's Battalion, Hunt for Grievous, Ambush on Ilum, Betrayal at Felucia, Jedi vs Sith (for the Clone Wars Obi), and the Attack on Coruscant (even though they gave us those bad clones from the Jetpack Trooper Deluxe).

As far as the TAC line - it's still to early to tell but will skip alot of the repacks and some of the ships like the White TIE and various Jedi Starfighters. Would love to see them re-release Anakin's Jedi Starfighter from the Clone Wars (the one ship I always wanted and each time I was at TRU, I would pick it up and say it will be here next week. Now it sells for $100 on Ebay.......Damn Self-Doubt).

Ji'dai
03-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Probably the Millennium Minted Coin and Epic Force. I did pick up a couple of the coin sets later on clearance. I've never been interested in figures outside the classic 3-3/4" and 12" scales so the Epic Force and it's successor (Unleashed) were always easy to pass by.

I've been passing on prequel vehicles, creatures, playsets, and accessories since Episode I, though I bought some on clearance.

I began passing on most 3-3/4" figures shortly before the ROTS line. Price is a major factor. Figures in this scale are simply not worth more than $5 each.

2-1B
03-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Walrusman.

figrin bran
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
i think it was the crowd control stormie, han with smuggler's pack, luke w. skiff.

Luuuuuuke
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I've passed on too many things to say which was the first I knowingly passed on. In fact, I still pass on a lot of things, including most of the figures. I passed on the TRU X-Wing on Dagobah and the new TRU Tie Fighter and all the new vehicles including the Darth Vader Sith Fighter.

The only reason I didn't pass on the Target exclusive wide-wing Tie Fighter and the Snowspeeder with Zev was because I got them on clearance.

Since Power of the Force, I've passed on tons of things. I've passed on entire waves and entire lines. I only started collecting again after POTF with Episode III.

mtriv73
03-14-2007, 10:13 PM
i think it was the crowd control stormie, han with smuggler's pack, luke w. skiff.

Carp, I forgot about those. I passed on them, but my grandmother, knowing her grandson; who was also a freshman in college at the time, liked Star Wars, bought me the crowd control stormie anyway. Even she thought the Luke and Han packs were too strange to buy.

JediTricks
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Back in the mid '90s, I bought everything, even Deluxe doofus figures, but the vehicles never spoke to me - I remember passing up the original X-wing, TIE, Falcon, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, and Landspeeder. Of those, I regretted not getting the AT-ST, Snowspeeder, and once I learned the Landspeeder was updated in several ways I regretted that too slightly. I eventually picked the snowspeeder up off ebay, got the AT-ST in the repack with the speederbike and ewok, and never got the Landspeeder or the Saga redo (which I still regret).

I didn't buy the Outrider, but only because it was a total failure of a toy and looked nothing like the awesome vehicle (I bought the Micro Machines one in 2 different packs, and I even tracked down the super-nice Rawcliffe pewter one).

I think the first figure I actively turned down was the Saga Tusken female, that design did NOTHING for me and it broke me of my completism, from then on out it was "only what you like" which has been way better.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-15-2007, 01:27 AM
I didn't start collecting the modern line until Episode I, but I went back and got all the basic figures I think, but didn't get too many vehicles. I recall still seeing the AT-AT around, but didn't want to pay that much. It was gone by the time I considered it.

With Episode I, I stuck to the basic figures at first. I think the only vehicles I ended up getting were ones that had figures - the pod racers and the Queen's Starship.

Also at that time, I started getting the Action Fleet vehicles. Since I was getting them at Target, I saw the sign about limiting purchase of collectible items, so I'd just get three at a time. I usually didn't have a cart or anything so I couldn't carry much more than that anyway. As a result, I didn't get the TIE Defender the only time I saw it.

Another thing I saw and passed on was the Target exclusive Skiff. I guess I figured I didn't need another Jedi Luke. Now I wish I had got it.

I'm still pretty much a completist on basic figures. I've passed on repacks, but I'll probably be buying most if not all the resculpts this year. I'm skipping more and more battle packs.

tagmac
03-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I passed on the first three deluxe figures. As much as I'd wanted to be a completist back then, these things just looked too ridiculous to actually buy.

For a while after that, I didn't pass on much, save for the McQuarrie concept vehicles and the Cruisemissle Trooper. It wasn't until the AOTC period when I finally stopped buying vehicles, and later the re-packs, due to financial and space concerns, as well as the fact that I simply felt I didn't need these toys. I always wanted to be a completist to make up for the 6 vintage figures I never got (but saw and wasn't allowed to buy as a kid) for a complete collection, but now I realize there are far more important things.

JON9000
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM

Yep, that's it for me too. I forgot about them. I was going to say the Cruise Missle Trooper, but that was later.

Tycho
03-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Luke Skywalker (Tatooine) Blast-Shield Helmet was the first basic figure I said "No thanks to." He was a resculpt. I'd already decided to dioramas, and consequently ID'd probably 4 scenes or so that I'd use Luke in his Tatooine outfit in, and then bought 4 of those '95 figures. I considered the matter done with and stayed in the hobby to hope for more cantina aliens and the likes.

Luke Tatooine turns out to be useful for:

1) Purchase of the Droids
2) Meeting Obi-Wan in the Dune Sea
3) The Mos Eisley Cantina
4) Lightsaber training on the Falcon
5) Swinging from the rope in the Death Star
6) EU homestead scene with Beru and Owen
7) Lost Scene with Biggs in Academy Uniform

I think that's it. I added a few of the later Lukes because Flashback or CommTech were sold for $2.98 and I had an extra because I got another Luke in the POTD box set that provided my first Uncle Owen (bought one loose later).

------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought and returned the Han Solo Deluxe figure with the bright orange harness straps. Pretty useless in my hobby.

I turned down all of the Complete Galaxies except the Ewok with Endor as both pieces were useful in my dioramas - the Ewok figure, and using Endor as the hologram in the rebel briefing aboard Home One.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't need the Gunner Stations (Luke & Darth Vader) I did buy Han Solo to get the parts to work into my custom Rebel Blockade Runner (the gunner chair, but not the cannon - too small). I tried to integrate the Han figure with the headset into an EU scene from the Han Solo Adventures.

From the Millenium Minted Coin figures, I didn't need Han Bespin, Chewie, or the Snowtrooper. The rest I found useful as figures.

Vehicles I passed on were the CruiseMissle Trooper - dang awful idea! and the rip-cord Speederbike toy.

Being a completist was never my hobby from back to 1996 or so. As I've described myself many times, I'm a diorama builder, not a collector.

I'll never understand someone's obsession to buy everything when I find entries into Hasbro's pantheon like the CruiseMissle Trooper to be an insult to suggest we should buy it. Perhaps it works for the kids? It doesn't work for me.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I passed on the first round of Deluxe Figures (Han, Luke, Boba) but picked them up eventually on clearance. I even bought the Cruiser and Outrider as well as the SOTE figs not named Boussh...WTF was I thinking ? :rolleyes:

I can't say for certain what the first thing I officially passed on was, but I remember seeing the Fambaa at FAO Schwartz (the one and only time I've ever been to an FAO Schwartz) in May 2000 because the price was so high.

pbarnard
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I'd like to ammend my earlier response, first thing by choice and not lack of funds or even availability for me would be the POTF2 Deluxe Figs. I just didn't get them.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the line was really improved when they released the Probot, Hoth Guy with Turret, and Snowy with Cannon...I liked all of those. :)

General_Grievous
03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I've passed on a lot of stuff. Mainly EU. But the first I've passed on were those crappy POTF2 Deluxe figures. There was Han, Luke, Boba Fett, and a "Crowd Control" Stormtrooper.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
I even bought those goofy Concept Cloud Cars and Snowspeeders...what an idiot I am ! :(

Tycho
03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I even bought those goofy Concept Cloud Cars and Snowspeeders...what an idiot I am ! :(

I actually liked those:

The Cloud Car added Traffic to my Cloud City diorama, as did the pilot figure and the one from the snowspeeder concept.

I actually added the snowspeeder concept to Mos Eisley. Nothing about it screamed it had to be used in an Arctic setting, and it looked cool there above the spaceport whereas larger ships (besides the T-16) didn't fit in my diorama.

I didn't care too much for the concept speederbike, but I used it and its pilot (separately) to add my Coruscant street traffic for a SOTE diorama.

jjreason
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I guess it would have to be deluxe Han from 1996 - though I did buy one and then return it.

I was an angry completist (though not for packaging - for loose figures, but EVERY loose figure, no matter how minute the difference from a previous release) until only recently, when I found the strength to pass on a number of the Battlepacks (starting, I believe, with the Obi Wan in Clone Armor pack), and working my way on to the collector tins.

I've passed on lots of vehicles along the way, but have done my best to hunt down those that came with unique figures. The only vehicles-with-figures I think I don't have are the Vader's TIE from the OTC line (that came with a repacked Vader, hence my pass) and the latest release of the Shuttle that came with the repacked Emperor and Royal Guard figs (again, pass only because they were direct rereleases of figures I have already).

It was hard passing on those Battlepacks, let me tell you - but it paid off as I had NO TROUBLE passing on the tin sets.

JediTricks
03-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I can't say for certain what the first thing I officially passed on was, but I remember seeing the Fambaa at FAO Schwartz (the one and only time I've ever been to an FAO Schwartz) in May 2000 because the price was so high.Yeah, I passed on that too before I passed on the Saga Tusken Woman, and I passed on the Eopie at a collector show because it was too expensive, I forgot about them.

I actively passed on the POTF2 Endor and Hoth playsets, I remember when they first hit me and a buddy hit WM at 3 in the morning, he bought both and we messed with them at Dennys, I was shocked how hollow they were. I passed on other vehicles too, and only bought the Death Star escape and chasm sets when they were on clearance.

Tycho
03-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't consider it a pass on the Eopie when it was never available in US markets for retail (around $15). I could use 4 of them if I can ever get it to where I'm spending less than $100 for all of them combined. I'm just waiting that one out (and who knows? There might be a collector pack with Owen, Beru, Obi-Wan and baby-Luke one day).

The playsets were weak but I was able to make use of them by expanding them in my dioramas. I added model railroad flora to Endor, and printed backgrounds off NiubNiub's for the Death Star stuff. I incorporated Hoth into a larger ice mountain with hanger doors that I built (and a custom Ion cannon). By themselves, I agree that they sucked. But they had potential for my kind of use for them.

obi-dad
03-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I started collecting at the tail end of POTF2, so I guess most of the POTF2 won't count for passing on, as I didn't see much. I did pass on all EU and concept figs (I remember passing on Xizor [sp?] hadn't even read SOTE at the time) & vehicles (cloud car, speeder, etc). I 've never been a completist, but if it was a character from the movie and in movie specific outfit, I probably bought it, unless it was a repack. I do remember seeing the crowd control stormie - passed, but I did buy the gunner stations on clearance.

Bought the Eopie @ FAO on clearance before the store closed up in St. Louis. Pretty much bought all Ep1 figs that I saw (still don't have assension gun padme) and the ones I didn't, I bought on ebay (if reasonably priced). I've gotten better and better at passing on figures that are straight repacks, eu, or ones Hasbro just didn't execute well. I did buy most repaints in the OTC line that I thought made for a better figure. Haven't looked at them in some time, but I remember thinking the blackwash on the Jawas made them look better.

Regrettably, passed on both Target & Tru correct scaled Tie's hoping to see them on clearance. I want those now, but come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever saw one at Target. Passed on the 2nd Dagobah X-wing, think it was from Tru, but having 2nd thoughts as well due to the swamp monster thing and even the plastic green vines hanging over the xwing. Can't remember if I bought the 2 headed anouncer w/ Jabba. I know I have one, but I htink he also came out as a packaged figure, so maybe that's how I got the anouncer. I've been scaling way back on AOTC & ROTS. I have a lot of crap from both, but I've finally cut out buying so many clone repaints and definitely not army building like I do with stormtroopers. When I finally see the first TAC wave, I know I'll buy the Airbourne, lava miner, but probably not the orange clone (probably everything but him). Didn't buy any jedi starfighter or any vehicle for ROTS. I have a few vehicles I bought my son for AOTC, but he's no longer interested in them.

mabudonicus
03-17-2007, 10:06 AM
First thing I actually didn't pass on but regretted almost instantly was the Cruisemissile trooper- THAT was what broke the completist in me, just trying to justify the stupid POS nearly drove me mental, but in the end I gave up and realized the TRUTH

Surprised it isn't on more folks list tho, really I am :beard:Isobaws&

General_Grievous
03-18-2007, 11:36 AM
The Cruisemissile Trooper....which genius at Hasbro thought of that one? I never bought one because it just looked so outlandish, even for Star Wars. Plus the pilot was just a head sticking out of the damn thing.

DarkArtist
03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
The Cruisemissile Trooper....which genius at Hasbro thought of that one? I never bought one because it just looked so outlandish, even for Star Wars. Plus the pilot was just a head sticking out of the damn thing.

Wow that was one of the many items that Hasbro released back in the POTF days that I really liked. I had it displayed up until two days ago when I packed up alot of stuff to create some more room for the TAC.

JediTricks
03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
It's actually an entire torso, the waist is connected to a spring-loaded post in the ship.

They recycled the idea for the Batman & Robin movie line, both Bats and Robin got one.

Tycho
03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
They should recycle the idea again for the Batman line, only this time make Joel Schumaker pop out of a toilet.

I'm 50-50 on whether this might be a good idea for a toy in the likeness of Michael Bay as well.

JediTricks
03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
It'd be a flying toilet. Schumacher's not solely to blame for those movies sucking, Warner Bros' executives who made those bad decisions to bring him on board and send him in those directions are at least as culpable. And if nothing else, Schumacher's admitted his mistakes in the issue, recognizing and pointing out what he did wrong, and wanted to make it up to the fans by making a non-crappy Batman film; that's more than the studio ever owned up to.

bigbarada
03-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Prince Xizor from the SOTE line was the first figure that I didn't buy. The Outrider was the first vehicle that I skipped.

joe-da
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
The Prince Xizor/Vader 2-pack.

2-1B
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Prince Xizor from the SOTE line was the first figure that I didn't buy. The Outrider was the first vehicle that I skipped.

Excellent choices, both of them. :)

Darth Cruel
04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Huh? What? Pass on a Star Wars toy? Do people really do that?

Bacta Beast
04-01-2007, 10:50 PM
The Sith Infiltrator. It's the first time passing on a Star Wars toy that I can afford. Any other ones I passed were due to waiting for other things and than missing the other. For example, I didn't buy the Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter because I was waiting for the Anakin Starfighter to come out and it was making me mad. Then, when the Anakin fighter finally came out and I wanted to buy the teal one, it was too late. I missed the TRU Y-Wing, and Gold Leader X-Wing because I couldn't afford them at the time and I still need them!!! That's why I love lay-a-way. If TRU had lay-a-way, I would have those ships now.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I passed on about 95% of the figures before Episode I.

UKWildcat
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Hmmm... Not sure what the first one was, but I remember passing on the POTF2 "Shadows of the Empire" figures. They just didn't really do anything for me back then, I thought they were rather goofy looking (with exception to the Leia [which is the only one I have b/c it was given to me]). And I didn't know who some of them were. I liked the POTF2 cards, orange especially, but I wasn't a fan of the purple at the time, although I don't mind them now.

I've passed on much more, but those are the ones that immediately came to mind.