PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION for those of you who post at work.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
How do you do it, where do you find the time? :confused:

I wouldn't post from work because in general I would prefer not to get fired...but even if I could post without anyone noticing, I wouldn't be able to because I don't have TIME to get everything done in a single day to begin with.

I think maybe they are giving me too much work to do. It's not fair that some of you humps have free time at work and I don't. :cry:

Kidhuman
03-16-2007, 02:16 PM
If I post from work it is on my break times. Usually between shifts I have an hour or so when doing Overtime, so I go to the comp room and read the forums to kill time.

pbarnard
03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm an academic. I have lots of down time while waiting between classes, waiting for an experiment to run its course, need a break between readings etc. Plus I have the benefit of not working for a bean counter, I just give him the best of my time to get certain things done each day/week and that's good enough for him.

Phantom-like Menace
03-16-2007, 11:56 PM
I work at a 78-room hotel at night, so if it weren't for the fact that the locals have no self-worth unless they are staying in a hotel (it and having hundred dollar bills are two important things to check off on the list of things that make you a "player"), I would maybe see one person a night. As it is, even with locals making themselves feel special, they really only show up after the clubs close, so between 11:00pm and about 3:00am (clubs close at 2:00, but then they have to get something to eat and/or place a booty call), my time is largely my own, though some nights involve more phone calls than others.

mtriv73
03-17-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm in the same boat as PB. I'm at work more a lot more than 40 hours a week, but a lot of that is incubation steps, waiting for the centrifuge to stop running, etc. Since we can only run a few experiments concurrently (we're usually waiting on the results of one to help shape the next,) and since a 10 minute spin isn't really enough time to do any serious data analysis/writing/ reading of journal articles, I often pop on here to see what's being posted.

UKWildcat
03-17-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't post from work all that much but when I do, it's no big deal. I work retail and I basically stand infront of a computer the whole time, so it's pretty easy. I'm real close with the owner and the manager, and I've been employed there for almost 4 years, so I can basically do whatever and get away with it. But with that said, I'm still usually busy doing other nonsense so I don't post all that often.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-17-2007, 11:42 PM
I used to post on this site while I had the time during my breaks at work. Back when I was a substitute teacher, I had all sorts of time to go on the computers during one of my off periods and post and I frequently would.

Now two things:

1) I don't have the time that I used to, being a full time teacher. I devote too much of my time to teacherly things like correcting, planning, etc. Don't have the free time that I used to, and if I do have the time, I save it for something more sinister :evil:

2) There are a legion of computer employees employed by the district. I know one of their jobs is to make sure that we are not browsing through sites we shouldn't be like :love: sites (you know what I mean :lipsrsealed: ) .

For example, there is a hockey site that I know no one in my building visits. After about a month of viewing from this site, I mysteriously could not log on to the site. I got a message saying that the network administrator had blocked it.

That is one reason why I will stay away from this site at work. I know it will be added to the blocker.

CaptainSolo1138
03-18-2007, 01:29 AM
I post at work because I'm a student employee and my job exsists because its mandated that the department have a student employee, regardless of the fact that there's rarely any actual work for me to do. Ya gotta love university bureaucracy! Better yet, I work in the IT department, so if a site ever comes up blocked for some reason (and I know its not NSFW) I just ask ta web admin and they unblock it for me.:)

pbarnard
03-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Ya gotta love university bureaucracy!

University is a native american word for how can we **** you over today.

UKWildcat
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm posting from work right now... teehehehe... shhhhh... don't tell anybody.

TeeEye7
01-14-2008, 06:21 PM
For example, there is a hockey site that I know no one in my building visits. After about a month of viewing from this site, I mysteriously could not log on to the site. I got a message saying that the network administrator had blocked it.

That is one reason why I will stay away from this site at work. I know it will be added to the blocker.

What a bunch of fascists! They probably think NCLB is working, too.....:rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-14-2008, 07:23 PM
What a bunch of fascists! They probably think NCLB is working, too.....:rolleyes:

Welcome to my school, or as I like to call it, "Nazi Germany." :whip:

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I can't post at work. I'm a fluffer, and don't have computer access.

TeeEye7
01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Welcome to my school, or as I like to call it, "Nazi Germany." :whip:

My wife is a third grade teacher. I know the universal sentiment within the profession quite well, thank you! :yes:

jedi master sal
01-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I post all the time. I'm usually so far ahead at work that I have a decent amount of downtown.

But usually the majority of my posting is right when I get to work, since I'm 15-30 minutes early everyday. Then lunch then after 5pm when I have to wait about an hour for my fiancee to pick me up. So even if I didn't post during actual work time, I've got plenty of other opportunities in the day.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
I post all the time. I'm usually so far ahead at work that I have a decent amount of downtown.

I assume you meant "downtime," but that is a funny typo, especially considering the possible double entendre. :beard:

bigbarada
01-14-2008, 09:05 PM
One of the benefits of working out of my home. As long as I meet all my deadlines and people don't have to ask for stuff twice, no one cares how I manage my time.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not going for a record number of posts in this thread, but, seriously speaking, I'm in pretty much the same boat as BigB.

jjreason
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm a fluffer.....

Dude....... not that there's anything wrong with that, but I kinda figured Mr JJL for this line of work a"head" of you.....

Anyhoo, I used to post a bit from work here and there - more like checking in to see if anything had burnt down - but nowadays we get docked pay if we're caught mis-using any "technological equipment" at work.

I still read the news online every morning when I first get in, but that's about it for my online dinking around on shift.

And something tells me that the vast majority of Canadians, who all chip in to pay my salary, will probably be okay with that. :D

BanthaPoodoo
01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
I work for an ISP fielding tech support calls about the internet.

I have no life so what better way to spend the last 10 years but to come here everyday from 9:00 AM CST to 5:00 PM CST.

Sad huh...

jedi master sal
01-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I assume you meant "downtime," but that is a funny typo, especially considering the possible double entendre. :beard:

Yes indeed....heh heh. Down TIME.

CaptainSolo1138
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes indeed....heh heh. Down TIME.
Sal typed that with his downtown.

jedi master sal
01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Sal typed that with his downtown.

Hey! Don't you be talkin' 'bout my downtown like that....heh heh.

JetsAndHeels
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
1:45 to 3:40 is my planning time here at school. I usually try to grade papers at night before or copy papers so I am prepared the day before so I do not have to use up this entire block of time trying to get my stuff straight.

That is how I post here on weekdays, the little bit that I do. :)

DarthQuack
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I get downtime at my job mostly at night, since we tape news stories all day until around 7p when we take a break, then the news isn't much the rest of the night, and then tape sports around 1030ish. I post all the time at work when we're down.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
My wife is a third grade teacher. I know the universal sentiment within the profession quite well, thank you! :yes:

TeeEye, does your wife enlist your help in grading papers, organizing, stuffing report cards, or any other teacher related tasks? I have yet to meet my significant other, but that would be a prerequisite prior to marriage. And I'm sure she shares stories related to her job that make you want to shake your head.

1:45 to 3:40 is my planning time here at school. I usually try to grade papers at night before or copy papers so I am prepared the day before so I do not have to use up this entire block of time trying to get my stuff straight.

That is how I post here on weekdays, the little bit that I do. :)

Man, JAH, you get quite the planning time. In elementary school our planning times range from a 30 minute special to a 45 minute lunch (to which 90% of the time, I have students kept in for not doing their homework or for reteaching), meaning that I have just enough time to pee and grab a quick snack before I have to pick up my students.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Dude....... not that there's anything wrong with that, but I kinda figured Mr JJL for this line of work a"head" of you.....
I'm HIS fluffer. (Okay, that's f'in sick.)

At school I don't really have an opportunity to come to this site much anymore as I now have a full class schedule despite it being my final semester. The librarians have a program that lets them see onto other screens through theirs and they don't like forums. :sad:

TeeEye7
01-20-2008, 03:31 PM
TeeEye, does your wife enlist your help in grading papers, organizing, stuffing report cards, or any other teacher related tasks? I have yet to meet my significant other, but that would be a prerequisite prior to marriage. And I'm sure she shares stories related to her job that make you want to shake your head.

Yes to all of the above.

I might also include helping to get her room ready before each school year, and tearing it down (required by the district for janitorial concerns) at the end.

In spite of NCLB, she still likes the profession, but as you well know, it's getting harder to hang in there. Retirements and change of professions in her recent experience are at an all-time high due to Bush & Co., the California Dept. of Education, and the local school district all banding together to 1) not allow teachers to do their jobs and 2) make teachers the scapegoats when the aforementioned dill weeds fail miserably in their efforts provide meaningful direction in the education of our children.

My wife actually got in trouble last year for using another technique "outside of the prescribed guidelines" to help a student understand a concept, which he was able to grasp and understand better than what the State dictated. Talk about a hostile work environment! When you referred to your school district as "Nazi Germany" in another post, I think all teachers would agree with you given the current climate of lunacy in education.

Slicker
01-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Seeing as I have nothing but downtime I post most everything at work nowadays. I rarely get onto a "real" connection and the work one is slow as all get out but it works for my padding posting abilities.