PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic food needs to be authentic!!! The Japanese think so...

JEDIpartner
03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
I always get so grumpy about ethnic foods when they aren't authentic. I especially get cranky about fakey Japanese food. Most of the stuff in the Western world that passes as Japanese isn't very Japanese. Well, my boss sent me this article and I burst out laughing. It's obvious that it's just something in my blood as a part-Japanese person!! :laugh:

Japan to certify 'real' sushi

SOURCE (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070316/lf_afp/afplifestylejapanfood)

Fri Mar 16, 10:29 AM ET

TOKYO (AFP) - Japan on Friday approved a campaign to certify "real" Japanese food overseas, worried that a global sushi craze will bastardise its national cuisine.

The campaign comes despite international derision after a panel first made the recommendations last year, with some US restaurant owners and press reports mocking the creation of a "sushi police."

Agriculture Minister Toshikatsu Matsuoka gave the go-ahead Friday on the panel's recommendations, which include creating a label for "authentic" Japanese restaurants overseas, a ministry official said.

The label will show that a restaurant or product is "real," taking into consideration factors such as ingredients and atmosphere.

Japan estimates the world will have some 50,000 restaurants purporting to serve Japanese food three years from now, double the current number, amid perceptions that the cuisine is healthy.

But culinary purists -- and some government officials -- have expressed horror at what can pass for Japanese food overseas.

"Japanese restaurants are sharply increasing throughout the world despite insufficient information on Japanese food and the ingredients characteristic of Japanese cuisine," said the report approved Friday.

"As a result, there is concern that the image and brand of Japanese cuisine is being damaged," it added.

In light of last year's criticism, the government said that it will have minimal involvement in the process. It said local groups will issue the labels, the exact shape of which is yet to be decided.

"The government will help finance the launching of this project and the fundamentals of this system, but the rest will be overseen by the private sector," said the agricultural ministry official.

"The local bodies will include food professionals, companies and even individuals. We want them to be as wide open to anyone as possible," the official said.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Taco Bell makes the best Mexican food.

pbarnard
03-16-2007, 04:02 PM
My wife says that the Chinese government wants Chinese restaurants to serve real Chinese food too.

Although, Caesar is right, Mexico should insist on using only real legal Mexicans at in the tacos at Taco Bell to satisfy the Adams Family 100% pure ingredient list.

JEDIpartner
03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
LOL!!!!!

I seriously get mad at people when they get cheesed off at me when they find out we're not going to the "Hibachi". I'm like, that's such a screwed up take on Japanese tableside cooking called "shabu-shabu". I'm going to a Japanese restaurant to get food that Japanese people would serve at home-- stuff like tonaktsu, gyoza, katsudon, sukiyaki and stuff like that. The Hibachi is about the least authentic thing they could feature and it really irritates me.

JimJamBonds
03-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Olive Garden has the best Italian food.

El Chuxter
03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
The Omelet Shoppe has the most egg-cellent eggs.

2-1B
03-17-2007, 12:10 AM
McDonald's is renown for their old fashioned American hamburgers.

JimJamBonds
03-17-2007, 12:11 AM
The Omelet Shoppe has the most egg-cellent eggs.

However IHOP offers an avreage breakfest at best.

Phantom-like Menace
03-17-2007, 12:27 AM
There is a Japanese restaurant called Kitcho in town, and I really need to try to go there before I leave this city. It's the place all of the Japanese exchange students go to eat. Kimura-sensei made more than a few comments about hibachi not being very Japanese. Otherwise, other than sushi, the only Japanese back home is hibachi, but it's tasty, so authentic or not I'm inclined to stop by as frequently as possible. As far as Sushi goes, there is a little restaurant called Ichiban back home, and it's . . . well, ichiban. It prompted me to call any sushi place here niban at best.

InsaneJediGirl
03-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I think its always going to be a problem but being "certified" sounds like a cool thing for an actual authentic establishment to go for.

JetsAndHeels
03-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I have wanted to go to Japan for a while..to see the country, learn more about the culture, etc.

Of course a big part of that also is eating the food. :)

JEDIpartner
03-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Kimura-sensei made more than a few comments about hibachi not being very Japanese.

It's not authentic at all. My mother always gives the Hibachi tables the evil-eye when we pass them at a Japanese restaurant! :laugh:

LusiferSam
03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
It's not authentic at all. My mother always gives the Hibachi tables the evil-eye when we pass them at a Japanese restaurant! :laugh:

Your mother sound Italian. :p

This idea is doomed to failure. The top end Japanese restaurants will for it. But that will lead to real elitist attitude about Japanese food. Most Americans simply won't go for that. But if the idea is to use food a type of ambassador to the culture, than you need a whole range of types. From the true blue authentic stuff to the highly Americanized versions. Somebody who would never try the true Japanese version of a type of food, might be willing to try the Americanized version and work they way up to the Japanese version.

2-1B
03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Olive Garden has the best Italian food.

I was thinking Pizza Hut but OG is alright...

JEDIpartner
03-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Most Americans simply won't go for that.

I know... they are so déclassé. :yes: