PDA

View Full Version : Does Willrow Hood make Hasbro angry?

Droid
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
So this was a Q&A from Hasbro at CreatureCantina.com:

CreatureCantina.com: You've announced previously that in 2008 you'll be revisiting Bespin for a wave figures. Will you include Willrow Hood in that wave? If not, do you realize collectors will storm the Hasbro parking lot and smash the windows out of all your cars? Rhode Island is a small state... we'll find you. I mean, to do a Bespin wave at this point and NOT include Willrow? You may as well just spit in all our faces.

Hasbro: We will base any future Empire wave (realizing that not all Empire waves are Bespin-focused) on the most important characters that we feel need to be re-visited or new ones that should be introduced, and not simply because he was the 10th-ranked figure in the fans' choice poll. At some point, you will probably see a Willrow figure, but not in 2008, so the community will have to be patient.

Hasbro seems a bit testy in this answer (which I guess could stem from the suggestion that employees' cars will be vandalized). However, I wonder if Hasbro is pretty annoyed with the Willrow Hood situation. I have often said that it isn't necessarily a figure that people want for any reason other than they find the idea of it getting made hilarious. It seems to me Hasbro is agitated because it knows that this figure will probably not sell well, but also knows that it needs to keep fans happy. Hasbro knows that at this point many fans actually want this figure, but Hasbro may not feel the reason fans want this figure is legitimate. My thought is they had a poll. Willrow came in 10th. They need to just buck up and make the figure. I suggest putting him in a battle pack with some main characters and get over it.

jjreason
03-18-2007, 12:12 AM
If someone asked me a question in that fashion they'd be lucky to get an answer as nice as Hasbro gave. What an idiot.

Tycho
03-18-2007, 02:46 AM
I agree that the question was phrased ridiculously. I'm skeptical if they really posed it that way.

However, there's several things about Wilrow Hood (ICMG):

1) I would buy 1 figure of him and use him in my Cloud City scene as background ambiance, the same way I use Bo Shek or Labria. No big deal there.

2) They could repaint the darn Naboo Flight Technician figure (Saga2 Wave 7) and give him a new head and hands, and the Ice Cream Maker prop, and that would basically do it. I sometimes feel that this generic jumpsuit body was made for its multi-use purpose in this manner. Anyway, I've never really studied Wilrow Hood's outfit that well to know if that will do it.

3) Yes, Wilrow is one of those figures that everyone wants to vote for just to see if they can get him made because he's so obscure. Past successes were Wuher and Jek Porkins I think, the latter which was often considered a joke, though both had speaking lines. Bo Shek was somewhat justified even though you couldn't hear him talking to Obi-Wan. All that being said, I think Wilrow will get a figure because of reasons #1 & 2 above and that he placed highly on the poll - for all 3 of these reasons. For a while, I had demand for a Nyrat Agira figure in my signature line here as I thought she'd be funny in the same sense, harder to get since she was a prequel figure, but nevertheless, an attractive one that people would buy if given the option (she's one of the girls in thongs and lace in the Outlander than Anakin and Obi-Wan check out).

So when we're scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for new stuff (Hasbro's made at least 20 of SirSteve's Top 50 Most Wanted that we polled for now, with indications that we can expect maybe 3 more at the least), characters like Wilrow Hood and Nyrat Agira will be good choices for collector figures amongst all the resculpts / repacks they'll need to keep doing every year. The TV shows and EU might supply diversification options though versus making these really obscure movie figures.

So some of you will have different views on Talon Karrde versus Nyrat Agira. Me? I'd buy both, but don't pine for Yarna like some of you do.

pbarnard
03-18-2007, 09:00 AM
My take is that Hasbro is sick of getting the same question every week about the same 2 or 3 characters. I'm the same way when I'm teaching labs, especially after saying the fact in question during the pre-lab lecture. It was important enough for them to say it at the "big announcement times", Toy Fair, ComicCon, C4, etc. Does anyone really think that anything has changed in that time given that there's a lead time of 9-18 months to make a figure? It just seems to be a waste of a question any time a site submits "When will we see character X made?".

DarkArtist
03-18-2007, 09:07 AM
not for nothing if I was in charge of the design team and was asked a question in that fashion I would refuse to even consider making the figure. I mean we are talking about a guy who has what 3 seconds of film ??? I mean there are other figures that deserve the plastic treatment well before ICMG.

Whoever asked this question has some serious issues.

Tycho
03-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I mean we are talking about a guy who has what 3 seconds of film ??? I mean there are other figures that deserve the plastic treatment well before ICMG.

Whoever asked this question has some serious issues.

But I have serious issues, too! (though maybe a little more tact in this case).

However, if I might quote a genius:

3) Yes, Wilrow is one of those figures that everyone wants to vote for just to see if they can get him made because he's so obscure....For a while, I had demand for a Nyrat Agira figure in my signature line here as I thought she'd be funny in the same sense, harder to get since she was a prequel figure, but nevertheless, an attractive one that people would buy if given the option (she's one of the girls in thongs and lace in the Outlander than Anakin and Obi-Wan check out).

So there are fans that actually want to see if they can put strength enough behind a petition to get Hasbro to make a figure they could arguably lose money on (Hey Jokesters: Daultry Dofine and Tey How are just begging for this honor to follow up Lushros' great performance on the pegs!)

In all seriousness, how about some battlepacks with all-new figures in the latest "scene style" packaging to get some of these out?

The Invasion of Cloud City:

1) Stormtrooper
2) Imperial Officer (Jeremy Bulloch)
3) Wilrow Hood (w. ICM)
4) Treva Horme (alien)
5) new Ugnaught w. conveyor belt and C-3PO parts from Chewie figure

The Revenue (Trade Federation Ship):

1) Dautry Dofine
2) Tey How w. command chair
3) Pilot Battle Droid
4) Pilot Battle Droid
5) Destroyer Droid w. Shield

The Lars Homestead

1) Owen
2) Beru
3) Cliegg
4) Eopie beast
5) Obi-Wan w. baby Luke

2-1B
03-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't know about Hasbro but Willrow Hood makes me angry.

General_Grievous
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
I never understood the whole Willrow fanbase. Yarna I can understand because she has a unique look that would make for a cool figure, but Willrow's just a guy in a jumpsuit with an ice cream maker. Of course I'd buy him, but I wouldn't treat it like it was the second coming.

DarkArtist
03-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I think many of the sites should lay off asking about Woodrow at least until the end of the TAC line has been anounced. It seems Hasbro is tired of being asking the same questions about when we are going to get a Woodrow and a Yarna.

and Tycho, don't worry My Wife tells me I have ISSUES all the time. To this day she can't fathom why I love Star Wars or collect action figures. I only thing is I know I have ISSUES but I love telling her that I Don't.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I didn't think there was anything wrong with Hasbro's response. They even said that they would probably make the figure at some point.

evenflow
03-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I think that they have been more receptive to Willrow than to Yarna. At least they say they will make Willrow eventually, we have not gotten that much for Yarna.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-18-2007, 09:21 PM
For the last "joke" figures - Wuher, Jek Porkins, and BoShek - well, they were all more recognizable than Willrow. The first two at least had lines, and all three were prominently shown in their shots, so they were overall less "jokey" than Willrow.

Besides, there are absolutely NO other Bespin "citizen" figures, and very few random human figures, so this would be a weird place to start.

bigbarada
03-19-2007, 12:48 AM
How about those of us who would storm their office and slash their tires if they DO make a Willrow Hood action figure?:D

Do fans actually want this figure? It's an idiotic idea! No wonder Hasbro thinks we're all morons.

Tycho
03-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Besides, there are absolutely NO other Bespin "citizen" figures, and very few random human figures, so this would be a weird place to start.

Bespin really needs "citizens" however.

Tatooine has the cantina, Jabba's, the Lars, now Biggs.

The Death Star and Yavin IV have their assorted personnel - same with Hoth.

Endor had the Ewoks, Naboo - their trooops, officials, and Gungans. Coruscant is getting fleshed out, too.

Even Mustafar got its denizens.

I'd say Utopau needs the Utai, Kamino needs some native civilians besides Non-Armored Clones, and Bespin (while having Ugnaughts) needs citizens besides Security Guards or "B-characters" like Lobot.

There are some aliens that seemed to have been cut from ESB (Wiorkettle, Treva Horme, Utriss M'Toc (an alien Bespin Guard) and a woman you can prominantly see during the pickup shots for the Special Edition). But Wilrow Hood stands out if you're going to look there.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-19-2007, 01:26 AM
In this link, there is what looks like a Bespin guard in front of Willrow Hood, and he appears to be carrying a skateboard. Hard to tell.

http://www.jedidefender.com/image.pl?/spearson/ecg.gif

C5Jedi
03-19-2007, 04:41 AM
I didn't think there was anything wrong with Hasbro's response. They even said that they would probably make the figure at some point.

At some point...But first they have to make more Darth Vaders, Anakins, Obi Wans, Padmes, Tie fighters in different boxes,.... :stupid:

evenflow
03-19-2007, 10:23 AM
In this link, there is what looks like a Bespin guard in front of Willrow Hood, and he appears to be carrying a skateboard. Hard to tell.

http://www.jedidefender.com/image.pl?/spearson/ecg.gif

Yes, yes it does.

Tycho
03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd die laughing if even I had time to Photoshop a picture of Lobot looking like Principal Strickland (from Back to the Future) posting a "No Skateboarding" sign up in the hallway of Cloud City.

If I could do animation, I'd have Fett cruise by riding carbonite frozen Han like he's the Silver Surfer.

JediTricks
03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
It's not a skateboard, I broke it down into its component frames, it's got no trucks, isn't cut like either main style of skateboard (not that there were the modern popsicle stick boards back then), but it does kinda look like a snowboard with 1 toe-loop at the front (not curved enough though and they didn't exist back then). I've attached the 3 frames it's most visible.

Tycho
03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Hehe. It looks like he was carrying the packaged KENNER "Destroy The Death Star" board game. I can't tell. But that might have been a funny inside joke we never knew about in 1980.

TheCivilCollector
03-20-2007, 03:54 AM
I can't believe anyone CARES if this figure is made or not. Personally, I'd WAAAYYYY prefer Yarna, or even updating the old "Droids" figures before this one.

Yep, my vote is for Jann Tosh.

Tycho
03-20-2007, 07:41 AM
If you're building dioramas:

1) Jabba's has tons of characters offered now. Yarna is not my priority. I don't feel any special fascination for her. We should get Woof (vintage Klaatu updated) and Sgt. Doayllyn next.

2) Jann Tosh - you must be joking? I don't think I want them to update the Droids figures or even re-issue them. I'm not in the market.

3) If you're making Cloud City / Bespin Escape - you really need fill-ins. ICMG would do nicely since all Cloud City citizens were not Bespin Wing Guards and Ugnaughts. Making the ICMG for Bespin is like making the Lava Miner for Mustafar (though granted, he's not as visually interesting). Plus he is the only guy in the galaxy that can supply the Rebellion with ice cream!

TheCivilCollector
03-20-2007, 08:00 AM
2) Jann Tosh - you must be joking? I don't think I want them to update the Droids figures or even re-issue them. I'm not in the market.

Yes, I was joking. :thumbsup:

But I DO think Willrow would be a waste of plastic. IMHO, dioramas are where customizing is well-applied. I just don't think good 'ol Wood would be a terribly interesting figure.

Tycho
03-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I just don't think good 'ol Wood would be a terribly interesting figure.

No. He wouldn't be. But Hasbro could do it cheaply by taking the Saga2 Naboo Flight Tech and giving him a new head and hands (possibly from the black Endor Rebel) and making "the Ice Cream Maker prop." I'm not sure it would be a great idea carded, but I pointed out the potential for a Bespin Escape Battle Pack that didn't force upon us another Leia, Lando, Luke, Chewie, Darth, or Fett.

1) Stormtrooper
2) Imp Officer (Jeremy Bulloch?)
3) ICMG (Wilrow Hood)
4) Treva Horme (new alien chase piece)
5) Bespin Guard (Fu-Man-Chu mustache?)

Alternates could be Wiorkettle (Snivvian), Utriss M'Toc (Alien Bespin Guard), Ugnaught (new sculpt), Black Bespin Guard, Woman Cloud City Citizen, Black Cloud Car Pilot variant.

Cloud City is one of the most untapped OT environments if not THE MOST.

joe-da
03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I want a Willrow Hood figure, as I want every character/beast/vehicle/etc. from the films (and non-film characters that almost made it into the films, like the alien Bespin guard, Camie, etc.) to be made.

evenflow
03-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Well as most know I am in the Yarna fan club wanting her first, and to be honest I would prefer Droids figures redone, but i will still support Willrow becuase there are alot of fans out there who want him much like i want Yarna.

Tycho
03-20-2007, 03:09 PM
I was just checking the SSG Top 50 (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24054) we made with the scene-by-scene voting we did in 2004-2005. (Voting is closed, discussion is still open)

ICMG did not make the list over other Bespin characters like the black guard and Treva Horme (one of the aliens), however, third ONLY to the Lars family (who topped the ROTS list as well under Clones that were made like Cody), Yarna ranked very strongly. She was #8.

Many figures that outranked her have been made now (Hem Dazon, Gen. Veers, CZ-3 - and Herme Odel and Lando Smuggler are about to be shown in a couple of months or so).

I was not a Yarna fan, but I'd buy her. I'd obviously prefer and buy ICMG, too.

AmanaMatt
03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
I would love if Hasbro every made one of this guy, but who would honestly buy it.

I think it would be the pegwarmer of the century!

Mad Slanted Powers
03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Edit - Oops, posted in the wrong thread.

Slicker
03-22-2007, 12:07 AM
I don't know about Hasbro but Willrow Hood makes me angry.That's because of the Ham Sammich incident isn't it?

Either way I still love you. :love:

2-1B
03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
no, it was a Han sandwhich featuring me and the Wookiee as bread.

Jargo
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I hate the whole Bespin segment of ESB. Hate the location and the premise of that location. Hate the look and feel of the place. Hate the costume designs. Hate the scenes. And I hate that extra with the plastic ice cream maker. I would sooner buy a ten figure multi-pack of Tatooine Lukes than a bespin extra carrying a plastic ice cream maker figure. make that a fifty-pack of Tatooine Lukes.

What is the point of him? what purpose would he serve? what sort of interaction did he have with anyone? Zero. Zip. Zilch.

If I were to do a Bespin wave I'd go for:

Imperial officer (The one played by Jeremy Bulloch).
Another Bespin guard (maybe the grey haired dude or the black dude).
A new 2-pack of ugnauts.
Concept Lando (McQuarrie pre-production painting)
Princess Leia 'Cloud city arrival' (Hoth fatigues)
Bespin escape C-3PO w/ detached right foot and left lower leg.

JON9000
05-27-2007, 07:56 PM
WILLROW HOOD is coming! Can we all just get along, now?

Tycho
05-27-2007, 08:07 PM
WILLROW HOOD is coming! Can we all just get along, now?

But will he be super-articulated so you can pose him in many different combinations with his ice cream maker?

We need to start the petitions and the protests now! :crazed:

Maybe we can get the Transformer-fans in Rhode Island for BotCon to march on Hasbro!

The Ice-Cream Maker Man March! Let's organize! :crazed:

JON9000
05-27-2007, 08:09 PM
He is posable enough to make it look as though he is taking a dump in his ice-cream maker, which is all the posability you need.

Tycho
05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Cool! That will make Chocolate-Chip Cookie-Dough!

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Where is it announced that he is coming? I saw a thread on RS that asked what obscure character people want now that ICMG is being made, but I found no thread here or there that actually referenced an announcement.

Tycho
05-27-2007, 08:56 PM
what obscure character people want now that ICMG is being made,

Well these won months of voting here on SSG (they are RANKED and some are more obscure than others, but all beat ICMG who was offered):

Beru Whitesun
Cliegg Lars
Yarna dal Gargon
Tey How
Rebel Flight Tech (Yavin Base)
R2D2 Lightsaber Launcher (Jabba's Sailbarge)
Bom Vimdim* good bet he's coming in 2008 though
Queen Jamilla (AOTC)
Daultry Dofine
Torryn Farr
Owen Lars (AOTC)
Jango Fett out of armor
Jocasta Nu
Saurin (Mos Eisley)
Ben Quadrinaros
Tonnika Sister
Keeolkeech (Ewok)
Wioslea
Reegesk (Ranat - Cantina)
R2D2 Endor Shield Bunker
Padme Senator (AOTC)
Queen Purple Dress
Luke Medical Frigate (hand repair)
Clone Trooper (red jumpsuit)
Sgt. Doaylln
Woof
Treva Horme
Slim Aloo
black Bespin Guard
Mother Ewok w. baby
Tonbuck Toora

Banthaholic
05-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I hate the whole Bespin segment of ESB. Hate the location and the premise of that location. Hate the look and feel of the place. Hate the costume designs. Hate the scenes. And I hate that extra with the plastic ice cream maker. I would sooner buy a ten figure multi-pack of Tatooine Lukes than a bespin extra carrying a plastic ice cream maker figure. make that a fifty-pack of Tatooine Lukes.

What is the point of him? what purpose would he serve? what sort of interaction did he have with anyone? Zero. Zip. Zilch.

If I were to do a Bespin wave I'd go for:

Imperial officer (The one played by Jeremy Bulloch).
Another Bespin guard (maybe the grey haired dude or the black dude).
A new 2-pack of ugnauts.
Concept Lando (McQuarrie pre-production painting)
Princess Leia 'Cloud city arrival' (Hoth fatigues)
Bespin escape C-3PO w/ detached right foot and left lower leg.

More ugnaughts would be welcome. I've also always wanted is it E-3P0 that interacts with C-3P0. I believe that's the name. He's be a cool and easy figure for Hasbro to give us.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I was hoping you would address the first line in my previous post instead.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 09:03 PM
More ugnaughts would be welcome. I've also always wanted is it E-3P0 that interacts with C-3P0. I believe that's the name. He's be a cool and easy figure for Hasbro to give us.Even better would be if it said "E Chuta!"

Banthaholic
05-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Even better would be if it said "E Chuta!"
Only if he comes in a two-pack with C-3P0 saying "How rude":thumbsup:

El Chuxter
05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Wilrow makes me angry.

Yesterday, I was in the grocery store, and it was raining, and a lady said to her little son, "Wear your hood." I thought she said "Wilrow Hood," and I backhanded them both.

I stand trial in two weeks.

Damn you, Hasbro.

TheCivilCollector
05-28-2007, 02:43 PM
At the rate they've started making obscure characters, I wouldn't be surprised if they started doing "Star Wars Crew" figures-

Ben Burtt (1975) with audio recording gear
John Williams with Conductors staff and music stand
Marcia Lucas with divorce papers and custody settlement....

Jargo
05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
1976 ILM crew with removable reefers.