PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow vs Medicom

Turambar
03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I just need someone to clear this up for me. I'm not sure if I should just focus on Sideshow, or also go for the Medicom figures as well. Will Sideshow eventually make all the figures Medicom did (luke jedi for instance)? Or are they going to split the figures?
Seems sideshow is focusing on humans/creatures while medicom is doing armored ones.
Anyway if someone could shed light on this it would clear up my collecting confusion. thanks:)

JediTricks
03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
There's no solid answer on this yet. Sideshow has suggested they'd eventually get to armored figures, but so far they've come up short on that claim while simultaneously importing Medicom's Real Action Heroes 12" figures (which are a smaller scale than regular 1:6 lines like Sideshow's 12"). I am betting that they are going to eventually do the armored guys at around $75 a fig, but are waiting a little longer to double-dip buyers who want the Medicom RAHs.

Darth Cruel
03-26-2007, 12:22 AM
I am not sure which side of the argument your Jedi Luke example is intended for, but I presume you mean are they going to make the same ones Medicom did like they already doubled up on Luke Jedi. I am convinced that the answer is yes. That is why I have cancelled all of my Medicom orders through Sideshow except for Fett (way too cool to pass up). If I find the Medicom stuff cheap on eBay...I will get it. But other than that (and the Boba Fett, Jango Fett, and Shadow Stormtrooper), I will be leaving the Medicom stuff alone as I am certain that Sideshow will get around to them.

Luuuuuuke
03-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not a dedicated collector of either. I have 3 Sideshow figures(Obi Wan, Maul and Sith Anakin) and only the Medicom RAH Shadow trooper. For armored figures I have to believe RAH would do a better job since you're paying for that. But if Sideshow would come reasonably close, I'd go for them. I don't want to pay $140 per figure.

Commander Gree
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the site but will give you my take on things as I collect both.

Medicom are a japanese firm making premium action figures and the figures released so far (Jedi Luke, Vader x2, Stormtrooper, Shadow Stormtrooper and Clone trooper) are part of their "Real Action Heroes" range which also includes other figures such as Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Batman etc. Planned releases include Boba Fett, Jango Fett and the Sandtrooper. Their stuff tends to be of very high quality but comes at a price. The usual accesories such as different hands, weapons are included and the figures on the whole tend to be easy to pose and balance without the use of a stand. The main problem I have with the Medicom stuff (apart from the very high prices) is that although sold as 1/6th (12") scale, their figure have tended to be a little smaller than those released by other companies. So, if you display your Medicom figures next to Marmit, Hasbro or Sideshow figures, they don't quite match in terms of scale.

The Sideshow figures so far have been very good - the packaging is excellent, accessories are plentiful, sculpts have been pretty impressive(apart from Han) and they are relatively cheap. Plus there is the benefit of "Exclusive Editions" if you're into that sort of thing. However, my own personal opinion is that they don't quite match up to Medicom in terms of quality of materials used, and I do find that I tend to have to use the figure stand in order to get my figures to stay upright in the pose that I want.

In terms of collecting the two lines and crossover of figures, nobody is too sure at the moment. The two companies are not releasing Star Wars figures together as such. Medicom figures were designed for the japanese collector market and they have "allowed" Sideshow to import a limited number of their figures for the US market. They had been fairly slow in releasing Star Wars RAH figures but momentum seems to have picked up recently. Nobody seems to know how many and which Star Wars figures Medicom plans to release. Sideshow are releasing about one figure per month (or three altogether every three months or so!) under various sub-lines (eg. Heroes of the Rebellion, Order of the Jedi, Sith Lords, Scum and Villainy etc.). There is a military line but so far only three rebel troopers have been released and everybody is hanging on for an Imperial/Republic trooper of some sort. Many seem to think that armoured figures are more difficult to produce, as the armour has to be tight fitting to look good (as anyone with Marmit figures will tell you!) - so perhaps Sideshow are still perfecting their armoured figure process and offering Medicom stuff in the meantime.

What you collect ultimately depends on what you feel happy paying your hard-earned cash for. Because of the differences in scale, you probably can't display Sideshow figures side-by-side with Medicom figures. In terms of value, there is no denying that Sideshow give you a pretty good deal for your money but given the quality of the Medicom figures ( and the fact that they don't release too many figures per year), I'm prepared to pay the premium prices asked.

Luuuuuuke
03-26-2007, 01:35 PM
That's a great post Commander Gree, and very informative. I'm tempted to get the Sandtrooper, but the cost is prohibitive. I can afford to collect both lines, but I'd rather not.

If RAH or Sideshow gets around to making certain clone troopers, I'd probably go for it.

Commander Gree
03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks Luuuuuuke,

Have been chatting to one or two of my collector friends over here in the UK who agree with me that armoured figures need a lot of work. General concensus seems to be that Sideshow are about two years away from being ready to release one and are therefore compensating by bringing in the Medicom stuff. It would make sense for Medicom to continue with their clone and Imperial troopers to capitalise on the gap in Sideshow's releases.

At the end of the day, it's win -win for collectors I guess. The Medicom stuff is fantastic, and if Sideshow are taking so long, it must mean that they are only prepared to release the very best quality armoured figures that they can produce. Not sure my wallet can handle the abuse though!

Turambar
03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Cool. thanks for all the info, guys. I guess that I'll just stick with sideshow figures for now. (will be easier on the wallet). And hopefully we'll see them get to armored figures in the near future.

JON9000
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't see how Sideshow can Medicom at a $55 price point. That Medicom stuff looks miraculous.

Darth Cruel
03-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the site but will give you my take on things as I collect both.

Medicom are a japanese firm making premium action figures and the figures released so far (Jedi Luke, Vader x2, Stormtrooper, Shadow Stormtrooper and Clone trooper) are part of their "Real Action Heroes" range which also includes other figures such as Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Batman etc. Planned releases include Boba Fett, Jango Fett and the Sandtrooper. Their stuff tends to be of very high quality but comes at a price. The usual accesories such as different hands, weapons are included and the figures on the whole tend to be easy to pose and balance without the use of a stand. The main problem I have with the Medicom stuff (apart from the very high prices) is that although sold as 1/6th (12") scale, their figure have tended to be a little smaller than those released by other companies. So, if you display your Medicom figures next to Marmit, Hasbro or Sideshow figures, they don't quite match in terms of scale.

The Sideshow figures so far have been very good - the packaging is excellent, accessories are plentiful, sculpts have been pretty impressive(apart from Han) and they are relatively cheap. Plus there is the benefit of "Exclusive Editions" if you're into that sort of thing. However, my own personal opinion is that they don't quite match up to Medicom in terms of quality of materials used, and I do find that I tend to have to use the figure stand in order to get my figures to stay upright in the pose that I want.

In terms of collecting the two lines and crossover of figures, nobody is too sure at the moment. The two companies are not releasing Star Wars figures together as such. Medicom figures were designed for the japanese collector market and they have "allowed" Sideshow to import a limited number of their figures for the US market. They had been fairly slow in releasing Star Wars RAH figures but momentum seems to have picked up recently. Nobody seems to know how many and which Star Wars figures Medicom plans to release. Sideshow are releasing about one figure per month (or three altogether every three months or so!) under various sub-lines (eg. Heroes of the Rebellion, Order of the Jedi, Sith Lords, Scum and Villainy etc.). There is a military line but so far only three rebel troopers have been released and everybody is hanging on for an Imperial/Republic trooper of some sort. Many seem to think that armoured figures are more difficult to produce, as the armour has to be tight fitting to look good (as anyone with Marmit figures will tell you!) - so perhaps Sideshow are still perfecting their armoured figure process and offering Medicom stuff in the meantime.

What you collect ultimately depends on what you feel happy paying your hard-earned cash for. Because of the differences in scale, you probably can't display Sideshow figures side-by-side with Medicom figures. In terms of value, there is no denying that Sideshow give you a pretty good deal for your money but given the quality of the Medicom figures ( and the fact that they don't release too many figures per year), I'm prepared to pay the premium prices asked.

I have paid great attention to this subject everywhere I go on the internet and this is pretty much the take that I have developed on the whole issue.

There are a few things I would like to add.

1st - Although Medicom'e 1/6 (12") scale figures are noticeably smaller than Sideshow's. I was told by a Sideshow employee that Medicom's figures are closer to true 1/6 (12") scale than are Sideshow's. The 1/6 (12") scale is supposed to be scaled so that a 6' character would be 12" in figure form. Sideshow's Jedi Luke is very nearly 12" tall, but the character (and Mark Hamill) are considerably shorter than 6'. I have not bought any of the Medicom figures (Shadow Stormtrooper will be mine after this coming weekend), but if they are slightly shorter...this would not necessarily preclude being able to display the Medicom Troopers with the Sideshow as the troopers are supposed to be clones of Jango Fett, and if you watch the scene where he is talking to Obi-Wan in Jango's apartment...you will see that Jango is considerably shorter than Obi. So the troopers would be as well.

2nd - I am not sure that I would completely agree on the quality of material issue. I may very well be wrong. Because, as I said, I have not purchased and do not have in my posession any of the Medicom stuff yet. But a photo comparison of the single character that has been made into a 1/6 (12") scale figure by both companies, Jedi Luke Skywalker, seems to indicate to me that Sideshow takes the prize without competition. But then...there are even a few Hasbro items that I prefer over Sideshow's (GAG, CHOKE...did I really just say that?) such as the poncho that came with Qui-Gon, and the robe that came with Maul (well...the Maul robe is a tie as they both have things I like and don't like about them).

And one last thing...didn't Medicom make 3 versions of Vader?

Edit - Now THIS is the last thing - Welcome, Commander Gree! And i apologize for nearly forgetting the welcome!

JON9000
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I saw the Medicom Vader in a picture with the Medicom stormtroopers. They were not in scale with each other, i.e., Vader was not as tall compared to them as he should be. I don't really care, though.

jonthejedi
03-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Medicom RAH rules, period! Unlike Hot Toys Masterpiece series(Ripley, Predator, Colonial Marines), which have to be clothed & assembled from the ground up, Medicom's are ready to display right out of the box. Their armored troopers are made of a harder, more photo-realistic plastic than what Hasbro used to use(soft & flimsy). Quality costs more. But yes, my only issue is scale within their own ranks. Vader#2 isn't much taller than the stormtrooper, and the recently purchased Ep. III clonetrooper is taller than both...so I don't know what gives with that? But the quality is outstanding, and I'll sacrifice two Sideshow 12" to purchase RAH Sandie, Jango & Boba.

Darth Cruel
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Other than Boba Fett, Jango Fett, and Shadow Stormtrooper, I am passing on Medicom for now. I WILL go back and buy all the ones I missed. But not until I get put on a more lucrative project.

And actually...that goes for the Aliens and Predator stuff from Hot Toys as well.

And on another note: I actually like that Hot Toys have to be assembled. I undo all of the 12" I get and re-do them anyway. But if I understand correctly, the reason Hot Toys does that is because their license is not for 12" action figures. It is for models.

Turambar
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm quite sure the medicom figures are not a more accurate 1/6 scale. In fact, I was extremely disappointed that the Vader was exactly the same size as the Luke jedi. It seems that they are making all of their figures exactly 12". That was one of the reasons I held off on them when I heard sideshow was going to start making 12"ers. I am hoping to see some more accurate scaled figures at least with leia, vader, and chewbacca.

Luuuuuuke
03-30-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm tempted to order the RAH Sandtrooper. I almost ordered a non-mint RAH stormtrooper for $99 but I didn't want to risk it being in bad shape.

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm quite sure the medicom figures are not a more accurate 1/6 scale. In fact, I was extremely disappointed that the Vader was exactly the same size as the Luke jedi. It seems that they are making all of their figures exactly 12". That was one of the reasons I held off on them when I heard sideshow was going to start making 12"ers. I am hoping to see some more accurate scaled figures at least with leia, vader, and chewbacca.
Same exact thing here, the scale aspect matters to me that much, and I don't care that there are leg spacers, the figures are still a smaller scale all over (look at the Stormtrooper's tiny hands).

sergiurusu
04-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Excellent post for sure Commander Gree! I don't collect SS because their lack in OT/EU Imperials and armored troopers. I just started collecting Medicom RAH OT/EU troopers and hope one day SS will do them as well.