PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man wasn't live and in-person at Wal-Mart!

Tycho
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
I wanted to have my picture taken with Spider-Man! Darn it! I have one to match that I got taken with him when I was like 5 or 6 years old. I look different now. I could have posted nice comparison shots, too.

But Spider-Man wasn't actually there at my Wal-Mart. They were taking pictures of kids with a cardboard standee! How lame is that?

I'm sure the kids knew that this 2-dimensional Spidey was not the real superhero. Kids are smart that way.

But I drove to two other Wal-Marts and it was the same thing. No real Spider-Man! Dang it!

What a bummer that turned out to be.

Though I don't collect them, the toys looked really cool. I saw Spider-Man, two different versions of Sandman, the Green Goblin, (the back of the card shows a cool figure of Harry in the Goblin gear but I couldn't find it in the stores), and there was a black Spider-Man and a version of Peter ripping the symbiant off of him. The black Spider-Man is not the official Venom. He might be in the first assortment as well, but I didn't have time to look because I had to go to the other stores to see if Spider-Man would really be at any of them.

bobafrett
03-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Tycho, I just posted a picture of myself with the Web Slinger from my day at Wal-Mart. The guy was really good, jumping up on counters, and crouching on the ground. Sorry you got a bad version, maybe it's because he was at my store instead.

JetsAndHeels
03-24-2007, 11:10 PM
He wasn't at my WM either but it didn't really matter to me. However I did get an automated phone call from him to come check out the new toys at my favorite store!!

Tycho
03-24-2007, 11:13 PM
One of the customer service managers at my Wal-Mart told me that Spider-Man had to leave suddenly to go fight a super-villain, so that's why he could be there. Oh well. I sure hope he won.

JetsAndHeels
03-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Spider-Man had to leave suddenly to go fight a super-villain, so that's why he could be there. Oh well. I sure hope he won.

He should take it easy...he's not Superman you know.

figrin bran
03-24-2007, 11:58 PM
at my local WM, the photo ops didn't start until 10 am and i was there around 9. the door greeter was passing out little flyers about this promotion. i did see a cardboard spidey but i just figured it was a store display and not what you'd be taking pictures with!

i don't collect these figures either but i have to admit, they looked pretty cool

2-1B
03-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Tycho, maybe they didn't want kids (or you) to be scared off by a guy in a tight grape smuggling costume.

jjreason
03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm sure they'd instruct the WM Spidey to do "the tuck" so as not to scare off the littluns (or their mommies), Skeez. Any self-respecting superhero does that without being asked anyhow. :p It's part of the Costumed Crusaders Code of Ethics.

El Chuxter
03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
It wouldn't have scared the mother of at least one SSG forumite.

2-1B
03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Does that make Buffalo Bill a superhero, too ?

lol

General_Grievous
03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Spidey was at my Wal Mart. And funny enough, he actually sounded like the '90s cartoon version of Spider-Man.

Darth Cruel
03-28-2007, 12:20 AM
They had a live Spider-Man at a Wal-Mart that I went to the other day (funny thing is...I don't remember which one it was). But no true Spider-Man fan would have been fooled. This guy was about 6'-5" and a good 260 lbs of solid iron. Everyone knows that Spider-Man is a teenager who was a skinny weakling until he got bit. Still, I wish my son had been with me...he would have dug on the photo op.

LTBasker
03-28-2007, 01:05 AM
It's obvious Cruel, you had the rare live Spider-man variant Spider-Hulk at your store! :p

http://www.incrediblehulk.com/spiderhulk.html

I don't think any of the stores around here were doing the promo, but then I didn't know about it so didn't look, I just went right to toys. They had the Harry with snowboard glider thing and it looked interesting, if it were in scale with the ToyBiz movie figures I would've picked it up. The 5" scale just doesn't interest me at all.

Tycho
03-28-2007, 02:00 AM
They had the Harry with snowboard glider thing and it looked interesting.

I like that figure a lot. I'd say I've liked James Franco's work as an actor (Flyboys, to be sure!) and he's been great as Harry in the Spider-Man movies so far.