PDA

View Full Version : Winger!!!

El Chuxter
03-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Okay, they suck.

But with all the other hair metal threads popping up, I felt it somehow seemed wrong to leave these wannabes out of the mix.

Tycho
03-26-2007, 02:18 AM
The girl in the Cherry Pie video was HOT though!

They were trying so hard to have a "Pour Some Sugar On Me" type of hit.

2-1B
03-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Warrant, Tycho. Warrant. :)

Blue2th
03-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Winger got pigeon-holed by Beavis and Butthead, amongst other things. Yup they were hair farmers, but excellent musicians. "Headed for a Heartbreak" is still one of my favorites. Kip Winger teaches music theory in Sante Fe. Reb Beach is playing guitar for Dokken when they tour. He's about the only guitarist that can do those riffs Lynch came up with.

Tycho
03-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Ah, Winger! "She's only Seventeen." The should-be theme song for MS-NBC's Dateline "To Catch a Predator."

"I'm Chris Dobbson."

"And I'm Kip Winger."

"So what did you plan on doing when you drove 900 miles to meet this 13-year old girl in an abandoned house?"

Blue2th
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Yup, that don't fly anymore. Half the time Chris Dobbson is catching the guy who says "He's only seventeen"........I wonder if Ringo Starr is still singing that song: "You're sixteen you're beautiful and your mine" at his concerts?

Tycho
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Yup, that don't fly anymore. Half the time Chris Dobbson is catching the guy who says "He's only seventeen"........I wonder if Ringo Starr is still singing that song: "You're sixteen you're beautiful and your mine" at his concerts?

In Michigan, and other states where that's the legal age of consent, as well as on tour in Canada.

Not to throw this thread into the Rancor Pit, or even suggest younger girls are worth putting up with in relationships, but Dobbson is getting guys who are going after 12 and 13 year olds. Meanwhile, who knows if like much of reality TV, it isn't all staged with actors anyhow.

mabudonicus
03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
17 is a WICKED tune- if you can't tell, I was much inspired by the main guitar/bass riff contained therein while writing MOMC :beard: Isobaws&

Tycho
03-27-2007, 04:04 PM
No insult intended, but your singing is almost a "country-western voice" Mabudonicus. While I obviously love rock / metal, I do love MOMC. But I don't relate it to Winger. I'll have to reconsider that one.

But one thing I've learned - you go with the talents you have. You might be a metal-head yourself, but if you could make millions as a country singer....

El Chuxter
03-27-2007, 05:13 PM
What about songs about underaged girls by the likes of KISS and Buddy Guy?

Tycho
03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Bruce Springsteen did the best one - should be the theme for NBC Dateline:

"Hey little girl
is your daddy home?
Did he go and leave you
all alone...

"Mmm-mmm.
I got a bad desire...
oh-oh-oh
I'm on fire.

"Tell me now babe
is he good to you?
Can he do to you the things
that I do?

"Oh no.
I can take you higher
oh-oh-oh
I'm on fire."

Actually, I could see this re-envisioned as a video with Anakin / Vader singing to Princess Leia. Hehe.

Or Working On The Highway:

"Son can't you see
that she's just a little girl?
She don't know nothin'
'bout this cruel, cruel world.

"We lit out
got down to Florida
got along
alright.

One day her brothers
came and got her
and they took me
in a black and white.

"The prosecutor kept
his promise
that he made
on that day

"and the judge
got mad
and he put me
straight away!"

Blue2th
03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
If you listen to Winger closely, you'll notice alot of wierd time signatures, and complex changes. The man partly resposible for that is Rod Mortenstien, former drummer of the Dixie Dregs. Even "Seventeen" is quite complex.

2-1B
03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Tycho, did you ever see the video for I'm On Fire ?

Tycho
03-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Tycho, did you ever see the video for I'm On Fire ?

Nope. I suppose I could YouTube search for it now.

But go ahead and tell me what you were thinking.

mabudonicus
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Tycho- I AIN't going country :mabs: (besides, you haven't heard ANYTHING yet, stay tuned)

Blue2th- oh yeah, man, I never thought about "17" too much until it came on the radio one day maybe 10 years ago and I could hardly wrap my head around how insane the rhythm is, for a seemingly "throwaway" song it's DEEP and tricky, it makes me stand at attention and salute nowadays, too bad most music buyers aren't music people eh?? :mabs:

And Chux- you mean like "Christine Sixteen"?? Ever heard where Gene says that he pictures himself in a limo with tinted windows, sitting across from a highschool at home-time?? That tune is OB-SCENE- but it rocks, and the "speech" in the middle is REAL quotable :beard:Isobaws&

2-1B
03-28-2007, 10:59 PM
well said \m/abs, my favorite part being "I knew, I KNEW..." :D

Tycho, in that video, Boss is a mechanic who rides a rich lady's car up to the hills where she lives...no underage content in the video at all. :)

El Chuxter
04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
And Chux- you mean like "Christine Sixteen"?? Ever heard where Gene says that he pictures himself in a limo with tinted windows, sitting across from a highschool at home-time?? That tune is OB-SCENE- but it rocks, and the "speech" in the middle is REAL quotable :beard:Isobaws&

That and "Goin' Blind" were the two that came immediately to mind. But, yeah, both ROCK!