PDA

View Full Version : The new Y-Wing

seanmcfripp
03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Where the heck is it? Thing sold out pretty quick everywhere in the Frederick, MD area. TRU, Target, Walmart...gone everywhere. Target has one of those little gray circle sticker thingies on the shelf tag, which I think indicates a re-order, but sheesh, why is the thing so popular?

Are Y-Wings scarce in your neck of the woods too?

Ji'dai
03-27-2007, 08:54 AM
While not exactly plentiful, both Y-Wings and Landing Craft are available here. The AT-ST and both Battle Packs are returning in force now that the initial runs on them seem to be petering out. Although the Sail Barge is now easier to find, the ISD is not.

I still need the Y-Wing, Landing Craft, and ISD but I think I'm going to wait until the gold 3PO promotion begins before I buy them.

Old Fossil
03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Yep, supplies on the Y-Wing, Star Destroyer, Slave I, and the Landing Craft are dwindling in my area, too.

The Y-Wing is a cool piece, though it suffers from a couple of flaws. The canopy can only be closed with some difficulty when the pilot is in place. Further, due to the lack of more prounounced landing gear, the ship rests more on its twin engine units when it is displayed. (I was able to use a clear acrylic stand I had to elevate mine, thankfully.)

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 04:34 PM
The Y-wing was the only set yesterday that was MIA in the TRU and 3 Targets I visited.

seanmcfripp
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Ok, finally Target restocked a few of these things. Birthday money was burning a hole in my pocket (yes, even at age 30 people feel the need to send me a few bucks on my b-day), so I hooked myself up with a Y-Wing and Grievous Starfighter.

7656 (GG Starfighter): Not too shabby for a $20 set. I absolutely LOVE the sliding cockpit. In fact, any cockpit on a modern set that opens without having to be totally removed is cause for excitement with me. Seriously though, the design is very clever and could (should) be used on many other sets in the future.

7658 (Y-Wing): Nice upgrade to the original, although $40 seems a bit excessive after getting the original and a Vader TIE for $50. The cockpit is probably the biggest improvement, and while the pilot still has to lean back a little, he doesn't have lay down like in the original. One thing I hate though is when LEGO decides to put rotating blasters on a 2x2 rotating platter. They always spin around like crazy! Easy enough to mod whenever they do it, but sheesh, just such an annoying design choice.

And what's fun about having missiles and bombs that fall out when you look at them funny? Seriously, the bomb port sucks, especially since LEGO has done similar features in the past with a fair amount of success. It's almost like they were planning a rubber band to hold the retaining shaft in place, then just didn't include it for some reason. The finger flick missiles are always a nice idea, but the just don't work like they're supposed to, and they never stay secured in any meaningful way.

figrin bran
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
The Y-Wings have been scarce in my local stores as well. Slave 1 is on clearance at one of my Targets for around $35.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 06:43 PM
That's a shame about the Y-wing being overpriced and having ordinance fall off easily.

I know what you mean about the 2x2 turntables, they spin like crazy, I wish LEGO would make a friction version of the piece.