PDA

View Full Version : Villie vs. Labria: We are so definitely getting a new sculpt! Yeaaay!

Tycho
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Here's a quick comparison shot I whipped up of our two Devaronian figures showing (albeit not with the best image of him) that Villie is going to be a much better figure than Labria when all is said and done.

Check it out!

Villie should have cross-drawn holsters "Jango Fett style" though (but the gun butts worn to his inside). I'll have to re-examine some of the comic pictures of him to see if his horns (or Labria's) are facing the right direction. Devaronians can have their horns grow in many directions, and I thought that Labria and Villie were opposite in that regard.

Devaronians also have different races, and the repaint of Labria is incorrect, as he was rather white. Villie is a "red skin."

pbarnard
03-26-2007, 06:38 PM
A little soak in the Dark Red RIT Dye would make Villie perfect.

And yeah, the Labria should be paler, but the clothing is a nice update.

Tycho
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I still would like 2 gun holsters on Villie, but I'm very happy with how he's turning out.

Battle Droid
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Vos and Villie suck, looks like they're pretty unarticulated figures. :upset:

Tycho
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Vos and Villie suck, looks like they're pretty unarticulated figures. :upset:

I beg to differ. I'm pleasantly surprised they have the articulation it appears they do.

Slicker
03-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Holy carp!! You mean we're getting a Villie figure?!?!?!*

*That's what I'd say if I knew who the f**k Villie was...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Damn Slick, that Japanese culture has already turned you into an a-hole. ;) :D

From the pics, it looks like Quinlan at least has ball jointed elbows, which is more than I thought he'd have.

Tycho
03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Villie also appears to have ball joint shoulders, bending elbows, twisting waist. The knees might be articulated, but disguised well. Who knows? Already this is far beyond the articulation we got in the 1998 EU figures or SOTE.

JediTricks
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Already this is far beyond the articulation we got in the 1998 EU figures or SOTE.
What's that, toys have gotten better in 9 years? Wow, what a shocker! :eek: :p

I'm with Slick on this, I'd be all kinds of shocked if I knew/cared who this guy was.

2-1B
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Knock it off Slick and JT, I'm trying to unwind for the night. lol lol lol

El Chuxter
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm not a Villie fan, but he does look quite kewl.

bobafrett
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Villie, the new Underwood deviled ham logo.....

Phantom-like Menace
05-16-2007, 01:19 AM
I didn't want to make a new thread and I didn't want to hijack just any thread talking about comic two-packs. However, I didn't see a thread about the two-packs in general, so I'm tacking this onto the end of a thread about Villie.

I was able to grab the Obi-Wan/Alpha pack and the Quinlan/Villie pack. I liked the comic and the Alpha figure of the first pack, and Obi-Wan would have been the definitive version for me because I love the molded robes, but they had to slide softgoods in for the skirt. Villie is okay, but his character in the comic was ****ing me off. Is any character allowed to say "bombad" and get away with it? Quinlan was okay. There were some obvious paint problems but the biggest problem I had was just the fact that he's not wearing the regular Jedi robes he was wearing in the comic.

Old Fossil
05-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I found the new comic packs this morning at WM. I bought Obi-Wan and Alpha immediately, and went on to work. But as the day progressed I thought about Villie and Vos, until I couldn't stand it any longer. Luckily, they were still there when I stopped back by the store on my way home, and I got them. (I passed on the Luke/R2 set.)

Let me tell you, Villie's a real gem. Ball-jointed head/neck, shoulders, and elbows. Articulation at the waist and upper legs, though not at the knees (unfortunate, but that's the only flaw here). He also has interesting "hidden" articulation at the wrists, like Quinlan Vos. The long "gauntlets" he's wearing hide the inner articulation, seemingly.

The paint application is superb, a true step up from the Saga Labria. Villie has reddish-pink skin, marbled with blue-grey veins on the back of his head, and what looks to be a little dirt on his nose and cheekbones and forehead. His eyes are reddish-brown, and he even seems to have black lines to indicate eyelashes. His silver "necklace," shoulder plates, and belt buckle stand out just enough to be noticed, but not too much. His belt and belt pouches are brown, unlike the tunic, which is a very dull purple-grey with some nice weathering below the belt. His shirtsleeves are black. His pants are drab, dark green. His boots are black.

The sculpt is almost incredible. The horns, Tycho, are curved slightly inward, unlike Labria's. He has a great sneer, accentuated by the slightly off-center neck stance. His gold earrings are just big enough to be noticed, but don't call attention to themselves. The bandolier (brown w/grey padding & buckle) is loose and easily removable, but fits snugly enough on the character to look like it belongs there. He has 1 holster, and he can be posed drawing his pistol out of it if the situation requires it. The boots are a fairly simple affair, except for the cool flared-out "wings" near the tops. No real practical use for those, I would think, but Villie seems to have a bit of a vain streak in him, what with the earrings and the necklace of what appear to be military dogtags.

I'd never read the EU comics featuring Villie or Vos, but I'm glad I got these two 2-packs. Villie will take the place of my old POTF2 Labria on my Cantina shelf now, doubling as Labria. I may even try to put an extra soft goods black cloak on him one day, but not now. Now I'm having too much fun with him!

Kudos to Hasbro for a job :thumbsup: well done:thumbsup: !!!

2-1B
05-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Is any character allowed to say "bombad" and get away with it?

Jar Jar Binks did it with great dignity.

Phantom-like Menace
05-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Jar Jar Binks did it with great dignity.

Hmm. I'll restate: Is any character allowed to say "bombad" and get away with it after Jar-Jar immortalized the phrase and made it his own?;)

2-1B
05-17-2007, 11:18 PM
certainly not. :D

Tycho
05-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Old Fossil: aren't the EU 2-pack figures better quality than a lot of the TAC? - at least the humans in the TAC (Obi-Wan, Mace, Luke, Han - the troop builders seem to be good though).

I don't know why Han and Luke are so sickly colored. They look like they have serious health concerns. Obi-Wan has a love-doll face and Mace looks like Geriatric Jackson. I don't get it. Who sculpted the heroes? Or chose their paint applications (Han seems to be an alright sculpt but the paint ap messes him up.)

Old Fossil
05-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Old Fossil: aren't the EU 2-pack figures better quality than a lot of the TAC? - at least the humans in the TAC (Obi-Wan, Mace, Luke, Han - the troop builders seem to be good though).

I don't know why Han and Luke are so sickly colored. They look like they have serious health concerns. Obi-Wan has a love-doll face and Mace looks like Geriatric Jackson. I don't get it. Who sculpted the heroes? Or chose their paint applications (Han seems to be an alright sculpt but the paint ap messes him up.)

You're absolutely right, Tycho. I don't understand it. Maybe there is a different group of sculptors for sublines, like the Evolutions sets, which approached this same level of quality. Strange, that you can get two great figures in the comic packs for essentially $5 each, while single carded figures sell for nearly 2 dollars more and are often inferior sculpts, or at best merely acceptable.

JediTricks
05-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I think the sculptors are the same but the management is a different subset of the SW team, and maybe a different factory even.

figrin bran
05-19-2007, 02:04 AM
I think the sculptors are the same but the management is a different subset of the SW team, and maybe a different factory even.

and maybe that subset gets a budget to play with and since the comic line has fewer figures than TAC, they're able to pay for better articulation and sculpting. even though TAC may receive significantly greater dollars to play with, they have to stretch it out over 40+ figures.

JediTricks
05-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, that's how it worked with the Deluxe team back in the day, and it shows, when they had only 4 deluxes scheduled like on the POTJ line, they put out great product, but when they had more like the Saga AOTC dlxes, everything suffered some - it's proportional.