PDA

View Full Version : Since everyone else does it...

seanmcfripp
03-28-2007, 06:00 AM
...I'm wishing myself a happy birthday. Happy birthday seanmcfripp! You rock!

I have the best stuff coming to me this year. I put my mother and sister in charge of the official birthday list a few weeks ago, which was basically made up of all the basic SW figures from wave 9. I try to make it easy for everyone by making up a pretty word document with DCPIs, pictures, where to find the figures, etc...that way no one has an excuse for not finding everything I want/need. Any way, the day after I sent out the list to everyone in my family, I hit TRU, and they were loaded to the gills with wave 9. I stashed everything I wanted/needed in a temporary hiding place, then called my sister. She ran over on her lunch break and bought the whole lot. Even better, TRU was running that BOGO free promo, so of course I'm never shutting up about how much money I saved everyone.

So come this Saturday (my "official" party), I'll be swimming in Elite Clones and Combat Engineers. Of course I'll have to re-explain for the millionth time why I wanted more than one of certain figures, but I'll live.

Ahhhh, birthday party, SW figures, G-town in the Final Four...my birthday always rulz.

Kidhuman
03-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Have a good one Sean.

CaptainSolo1138
03-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Happy b-day, seansy. Hope all goes well!

UKWildcat
03-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday!!!

bobafrett
03-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Happy Birthday Sean. I don't expect much on my birthday, and no one in my family supports my Star Wars addiction, other than my brother.

seanmcfripp
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
...and no one in my family supports my Star Wars addiction, other than my brother.

Sometimes you have to be forceful with family. Like I said, I always make a list with all the exact information needed to make a purchase. I also explain how I'm making things easy for everyone by asking for a $6 action figure. I then explain how I could be like everyone else in the family and say "Oh, you don't have to get anything for me" when we all danged well know you HAVE to get someone a birthday present. I'm telling you exactly what I want, exactly how much it's going to cost, and exactly where to get it. I even tell poeple that if given the choice between a $6 SW toy and a $25 gift certificate to Best Buy or something, I'm going to be way more excited and stupidly giddy over the SW figure.

I started doing the list thing a few years back, and it works great. For cheap folks in my family, it works out fine, because my mother and sister usually get everything on the list, then dole everything out to family members based on what they want to spend. I only put like 8 or 9 things on the list, so spread out over 5 family members, nobody's bank is broken. It's all how you sell it.

mabudonicus
03-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Happy B-day man, you got a nice day for it!

And I fully agree with one thing you said-
if given the choice between a $6 SW toy and a $25 gift certificate to Best Buy or something, I'm going to be way more excited and stupidly giddy over the SW figure.

Damn Straight- when one of my buddies came to my B-day party, he handed me a bag- he happens to work in the US and had grabbed an Elite Clone somewheres for cheap, and I swear when I pulled it out I must have started levitating with delight- it was like I "won" at my own B-day party (there's proof on my myspace page in the "comments" section)... I then spent much of the rest of my party night posing the little guy and just admiring him- he never showed up at retail in my area and I'd pretty much decided I'd never even see it, much less own it, so it was a damn cool gesture on his part...

Okay, sorry to hijack yer B-day thread- have a good one man!!
:beard:Isobaws&

mtriv73
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Happy birthday! I changed my avatar in your honor.

2-1B
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
happy birthday Shaw Mac, enjoy it while you can because the Gnats take the field for real in a few days...then your spring and summer are all down hill. :D

Tycho
03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Happy Birthday Sean.

For your present from me, I've adapted your post below. Please read it with a sense of humor ;)

...I'm wishing myself a happy birthday. Happy birthday seanmcfripp! You rock!

I have the best stuff coming to me this year. I put my mother and sister up for auction on eBay about a few weeks ago, so I can buy all the basic SW figures from wave 9. I try to make it easy for everyone by making up a pretty word document with DCPIs, pictures, where to find them, etc...that way no one has an excuse for not findinng want they want/need. Anyway, the day after I listed them everyone in my family hit TRU, and they bought out all wave 9. I couldn't stash everything I wanted/needed in a temporary hiding place, because of my sister. She ran over on her lunch break and bought the whole lot. Even worse, TRU was running that BOGO free promo, so of course I'm never shutting up about how much money I saved because of everyone else, except I could have gotten more if I was able to sell my family members.

So come this Saturday (my "official" party), I'll be swimming in charges of misdemeanors and felonies for attempting human trafficking on eBay. Of course I'll have to re-explain for the millionth time why I wanted more than one of certain Star Wars figures, but I'll live.

Ahhhh, birthday party, SW figures, G-town in the Final Four...my birthday always rulz.

Well, I've learned that sometimes you have to be forceful with family. Like I said, I always make a list with all the exact information needed to make a sale or purchase. I also explain how I'm making things easy for everyone by asking for $6 action figures. I then explain how I could be like everyone else in the family and say "Oh, you don't have to get anything for me" when we all danged well know you HAVE to get someone a birthday present. I'm telling you exactly what I want, exactly how much it's going to cost, and exactly what they have to sell for in order for me to get it. I even tell the police that if given the choice between a $6 SW toy and a $25 gift certificate to Best Buy or something, I'm going to be way more excited and stupidly giddy over the SW figure.

I started doing the list thing a few years back, and it works great. For cheap folks in my family, it works out fine, because my mother and sister usually get sold on eBay or Craig's List, then I dole everything out to family members based on what I've wanted to spend. I only put like 8 or 9 things on the list, so spread out over 5 family members, nobody's resold that often. It's all how you sell it.

Darth Cruel
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Heck with your birthday. Where is there still BOGO?

Just kidding...hope you have a great one!

Edit- Did I really say BOGO?

seanmcfripp
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
mtriv, that's the most rockin', obscure, seanmcfrippiest 'tar in world! I'm gonna go listen to "Cat Food" right now.

Caesar, you suck. Go check out the Pam pictures I posted in the Office thread.

Tycho, nice Mad Lib. I'm gonna try that too, only I'll put "in bed" at the end of every sentence.

2-1B
03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Caesar, you suck. Go check out the Pam pictures I posted in the Office thread.

Odd, I JUST left that thread to come here and recant my earlier post...I hope the Nats win a National Title. You deserve it ! :grin:

seanmcfripp
03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I hope the Nats win a National Title. You deserve it ! :grin:

Pam's rack says be a Nats fan, and her rack never steered anyone wrong.

Wow, another totally rockin' 'tar. Pledge your allegiance! Go Nats!