PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars stamps!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Here (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20070328.html) are the new stamps that will be coming out in a few months. I have to say, this is pretty damn sweet. I really like the art on these (but Han's face is completely off . . .). I'll have to stock up on these. :thumbsup:

On another note . . . stamps are 41 cents now? Jeez.

CaptainSolo1138
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
But that price is good forever!:rolleyes:

Tycho
03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I plan on buying the stamps. I'll use them, too.

figrin bran
03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
i'm definitely keeping a set of these!

i can't decide which stamp to vote for...definitely one of the OT ones for sure

Tycho
03-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Vader's head. In times' past, stamps had President's heads on them like our coins do. Who's more iconic to Star Wars than Darth Vader?

stillakid
03-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Vader's head. In times' past, stamps had President's heads on them like our coins do. Who's more iconic to Star Wars than Darth Vader?

R2 is. :D My own son, Joshua, saw the commercial on TV for the stamps and said that the picture of R2 with Leia is probably the most "famous" shot from Star Wars he knows of. Even though Vader's head was a close second, I voted for R2 and Leia.

Kidhuman
03-29-2007, 12:04 AM
I voted for Luke, I think its the best looking one. I will be buying a set of these no doubt.

stillakid
03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
I voted for Luke, I think its the best looking one. I will be buying a set of these no doubt.

:love::kiss:http://www.iheartshirt.com/search/?keywords=Luke&pid=Luke&tid=Luke :love:

bobafrett
03-29-2007, 12:54 AM
I voted, and it said my vote would only count if you activated it by the link they sent in an e-mail. Never got that e-mail. Chances are my Spam filter blocked it, but I don't know what to do to get it past the filter.

JediTricks
03-29-2007, 06:11 AM
I don't understand why it's just 1 stamp that gets a whole sheet and the rest are stuck on a pane, friggin' Looney Tunes got a couple sheets, SW has as much societal impact as a wisecracking rabbit and a sociopathic duck.

I am glad to see the OT well-represented in the pane though, keeping the prequel bunk to a bare minimum. There's a mistake though, SW.com claims "the commemorative stamps feature images from all six movies in the Star Wars saga" but there's no AOTC stamp, instead Ep 1 gets represented twice.

I voted for the Falcon, I liked the artwork there over the others, it's dynamic and recognizable and exciting. The Leia with R2 stamp art appears to be a photoshop job of real film rather than totally original art, perhaps they all are but that one doesn't hide it well. I would have voted for the Han & Chewie one but Han is unrecognizable.

But that price is good forever!:rolleyes:I'm afraid that's only on the Forever stamp, the price of other stamps will keep going up, the idea is they want us to stockpile the forever stamps now and then forget to use them or lose them or whatever gets the cash flowing.

Vader's head. In times' past, stamps had President's heads on them like our coins do. Who's more iconic to Star Wars than Darth Vader?That stamp is so boring though, lifeless, anybody can walk into TRU or a costume shop and see that same visage of Vader's lifeless helmet.

R2 is. :D My own son, Joshua, saw the commercial on TV for the stamps and said that the picture of R2 with Leia is probably the most "famous" shot from Star Wars he knows of. Even though Vader's head was a close second, I voted for R2 and Leia.Yeah, your boy makes a good argument there, I thought the same thing when I was considering which to vote for.

Tycho
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
SW has as much societal impact as a wisecracking rabbit and a sociopathic duck.

Right, we have a wisecracking master and a sociopathic apprentice!

There's a mistake though, ... Ep 1 gets represented twice.

Ugggh. That IS a mistake!

That stamp is so boring though, lifeless, anybody can walk into TRU or a costume shop and see that same visage of Vader's lifeless helmet.

Yes, but now you don't have to go to TRU or a costume shop, you need look no further than your own mailbox. Think of the gas that is going to save.

Old Fossil
03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
The likenesses of the actors on these stamps may have been deliberately changed by the artists, since there is a law on the books somewhere stating that no living person may be depicted on a U.S. stamp.

stillakid
03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
The likenesses of the actors on these stamps may have been deliberately changed by the artists, since there is a law on the books somewhere stating that no living person may be depicted on a U.S. stamp.

http://www.stamps.org/kids/January/stamps_whodecides.htm

To ensure consistent and fair consideration of all proposals, the Committee has established standards of eligibility for stamp designs. One such standard is that no living person can be depicted on a U.S. stamp and, except for former Presidents, an individual cannot be commemorated until at least 10 years following death. This allows the person's accomplishments to be viewed in the appropriate historical perspective. The exception allows a means of special recognition for past Presidents each of whom is honored with a memorial stamp on the first birthday following their death. :yes:

pbarnard
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Good things, Post Office gives me a present on my birthday, bad news, this will be the first stamp at the new rate.

Time to vote.

Tycho
03-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, knowing the rules is great news. It means we can now have the Saddam Hussein stamp complete with 41-cent price on his head. :rolleyes:

stillakid
03-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, knowing the rules is great news. It means we can now have the Saddam Hussein stamp complete with 41-cent price on his head. :rolleyes:

Hmm, with that in mind, the price put on Han's head doesn't seem so steep afterall. What was the fuss all about? :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I voted, and it said my vote would only count if you activated it by the link they sent in an e-mail. Never got that e-mail. Chances are my Spam filter blocked it, but I don't know what to do to get it past the filter. I did not get no "reminder" email, neither. I am planning on ordering a first-day issue, if they're not too pricey. But I read that at C4 this year there will be a special opening or something.

Tycho
03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Since it's the United States Post Office, I heard they cannot charge more than 41 / 42 cents per stamp - whatever it is.

The total cost of a sheet of these stamps will be 9 x $0.41 or however many stamps you order.

The promotion is:

- traditional - specialized stamps
- to have people use the USPS versus Mailboxes Etc. FedEx, UPS, etc.
- to have people buy stamps versus use business-mailing barcodes
- to have people buy these things and collect them, never using them, raising revenue

Even though it is a government / taxpayer service, the R2 Mailboxes create awareness of the program and are likely the brainchild of some overzealous SW fan in the government bureaucracy, or the Post Master General thinks he's General Grievous or something.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I wonder if someone saw the BOBA Fett stamp and thought, "I saw this guy in that second Star Wars movie," thinking it was JANGO Fett.

And there can be extra fees on stamps (WTC foundation, Breast Cancer awareness, or other fund raising or charity programs) when they add it to the cost paid, but the postage amount remains the same.

talcor
03-29-2007, 04:43 PM
is the V.P. Goveren Tarkin?

darthvyn
03-29-2007, 09:40 PM

none of those people could still be alive... it was a LONG time ago. in a galaxy far away, none the less...

that said, i voted for yoda. my wife voted for queen amidala.

that's something i don't understand, because the USPS must be making money hand over fist through eBay transactions alone. think of all the priority mail you've received/sent since you first used eBay, and then think of how often you saw a priority mail box/envelope before eBay was around...

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
that's something i don't understand, because the USPS must be making money hand over fist through eBay transactions alone. think of all the priority mail you've received/sent since you first used eBay, and then think of how often you saw a priority mail box/envelope before eBay was around...Uh, they's gots to pay for their Tour de France bicycling team somehow, especially now that Lance isn't participating. :greedy:

Tycho
03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
My comic book shop owner and I had a serious laugh fest last night:

We predicted some idiot was going to try and steal one of those R2-D2 mailboxes! A federal crime if there ever was one!

Further, we laughed at the image of a Star Wars geek with taped glasses, down on his hands and knees with a power drill trying to unscrew the security camps to the pavement, or jackhammer around them, then explain himself when the police come.

If he gets away with it somehow, my comic book store owner says the Post Office has their own law enforcement agency branch and the postal police are not the cops you want to mess with.

However, some idiot fan who actually DOES manage to drill through cement and rip off "the ultimate Star Wars collectible that no one else will have" will of course be so smart he'll post pictures of the mailbox alongside his collection on MySpace or film a video of himself and the box for YouTube.

The conversations in Federal Prison that will follow (or even the trial by jury) will be priceless.

"He followed me home claiming he was the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"This is not the droid you're looking for."

"I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission!"

"I was helping facillitate his escape from the Empire."

"The Post Master General? I've heard of the Separatist General. But he's the property of General Kenobi. There's a message for him in there somewhere. Just let me search the letters in the box. I was trying to find that memo for Obi-Wan Kenobi when your officers accused me of vandalizing Federal Mail!"

stillakid
03-30-2007, 04:07 PM
My comic book shop owner and I had a serious laugh fest last night:

We predicted some idiot was going to try and steal one of those R2-D2 mailboxes! A federal crime if there ever was one!

Further, we laughed at the image of a Star Wars geek with taped glasses, down on his hands and knees with a power drill trying to unscrew the security camps to the pavement, or jackhammer around them, then explain himself when the police come.

If he gets away with it somehow, my comic book store owner says the Post Office has their own law enforcement agency branch and the postal police are not the cops you want to mess with.

However, some idiot fan who actually DOES manage to drill through cement and rip off "the ultimate Star Wars collectible that no one else will have" will of course be so smart he'll post pictures of the mailbox alongside his collection on MySpace or film a video of himself and the box for YouTube.

The conversations in Federal Prison that will follow (or even the trial by jury) will be priceless.

"He followed me home claiming he was the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"This is not the droid you're looking for."

"I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission!"

"I was helping facillitate his escape from the Empire."

"The Post Master General? I've heard of the Separatist General. But he's the property of General Kenobi. There's a message for him in there somewhere. Just let me search the letters in the box. I was trying to find that memo for Obi-Wan Kenobi when your officers accused me of vandalizing Federal Mail!"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmetroblogger/426923027/in/set-72157600008959541/

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
The likenesses of the actors on these stamps may have been deliberately changed by the artists, since there is a law on the books somewhere stating that no living person may be depicted on a U.S. stamp.I think that's not the case here though because they're likenesses of characters, not the actors specifically. Leia and Luke look accurate, the Obi-Wan one looks spot-on (Alec Guinness died in 2000, so he's within the 10 year thing), Amidala, Maul, and the Emperor look accurate as well.

I wonder if someone saw the BOBA Fett stamp and thought, "I saw this guy in that second Star Wars movie," thinking it was JANGO Fett. I highly doubt it, especially from SW.com's staff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmetroblogger/426923027/in/set-72157600008959541/
Dude, that's friggin' awesome, great find, those look seriously tough!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I have yet to find any of the new 'Sunday Funnies' stamps. They have Calvin and Hobbes! :thumbsup: