PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto IV

General_Grievous
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Here's our first look at the game:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/trailer_splash.html

It takes place in New York City, or a place that resembles New York City (could be the next-gen Liberty City, since a cop car in the trailer had LCPD on it). And it appears that the main character is an Eastern European immigrant. The graphics look extremely impressive. Even though I'm not too crazy about the NYC setting (since it's been done before in games like Spider-Man 2 and True Crime), I'll still be picking this one up.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Looks nifty, but since I don't have a PS3 or X-Box 360, i'm SOL at the moment.

I'm assuming it'll hit the PS2 eventually though. This leaves me plenty of time to beat SA and then open up and beat LCS and VCS, which I have yet to play. hehehehe

I REALLY REALLY wish they would've taken it overseas. Having a GTA in France, London, Tokyo, or even one that stretches across Europe would be superb.

jamesbondo07
03-29-2007, 09:11 PM
That's a amazing video. I can't wait. I hope they have a few more animals for roadkill. I wonder if there will be very much of a difference between the XBOX 360 version and the PS3 version.

Rocketboy
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Game looks nice. Between this and Spidey 3, I think I need to get me a 360.

I REALLY REALLY wish they would've taken it overseas. Having a GTA in France, London, Tokyo, or even one that stretches across Europe would be superb.There was one. GTA: London 1969 for PS1. Granted, it was crap, like the original GTA.

UKWildcat
03-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Awesome! That game looks friggin' sweet! I don't know if I'll be able to wait for a PC release... may have to shell out the dough and get a PS3. :D

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Definitely Liberty City, there's the "Liberteen" and at the end, the skyline on the left has the building where Donald Love's office was and the tall building next to it.

I must say, I didn't really care for Liberty City the first time around, its layout was horrendous for driving - you know, that thing the game's originally BUILT AROUND!! The idea of revamping it into more of a New York setting makes sense, but it is a played out setting. At least this time, we'll get some real use out of all the buildings, the tall fake buildings you couldn't go into was another annoying part of GTA3.

I don't have a next-gen console and don't plan to until the prices drop, so I doubt I'll get this one for a while.

Slicker
03-30-2007, 11:38 PM
It's the same old GTA just with better graphics. I may try and play it but I'm not gonna pay basically $500 to play one game.

JediTricks
03-31-2007, 05:51 AM
It's the same old GTA just with better graphics. I may try and play it but I'm not gonna pay basically $500 to play one game.
But you're in Japan now, aren't PS3s just starting to blossom on the trees, can't you just reach out and pluck a ripe one from the branch? ;)

You make a good point though, Vice City had some great upgrades to Vice City, which I think was the real turning point in the franchise, but essentially if this isn't substantially unique, it won't even be worth the time to put into playing it.

Rocketboy
03-31-2007, 10:02 PM
But you're in Japan now, aren't PS3s just starting to blossom on the trees, can't you just reach out and pluck a ripe one from the branch? ;)I believe they come in vending machines.

JediTricks
04-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I believe they come in vending machines.
Yeah, but who wants to lug $500 in quarters down to a vending machine?

Rocketboy
04-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but who wants to lug $500 in quarters down to a vending machine?What, you don't carry that with you everywhere?

JON9000
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll be happy playing Vice City Stories after I get done with San Andreas.

DarthQuack
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Get excited for this already, damn heathens.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Nobody has updated this thread?!!?!? yeesh!

I just got it and started playing it for the 360 last night and i'm really blown away. I just finished GTA: SA a few days ago as I wanted to complete it AND take 100% control of all the gang territories before I retired it.

But anyway, the game looks really gorgeous and detailed. I'm not even close to opening up Manhattan, but I have stared at it from across the bay and it just looks awesome.

Since i've been playing the PS2, i am a tad rusty on the controls, but i'm learning quickly. I will say i'm having trouble with the driving aspect as I try to use RB to hug turns, but I keep spinning out of control. I hope I figure out how to do become a better driver before any big chases.

Overall, I'm REALLY LOVING this game. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry, Guyote. I can't get excited over a line of games that encourages me to kill cops and carjack people. Anyone with police in their family or who knows people who have been the victim of a crime can be funny that way. Not having anything to add, I didn't bother to make any snide comments. I'll admit I changed my mind on Guitar Hero, but this ain't happening.

(My brother-in-law gave me his old PS2, with all the games, about two years ago. He had all the GTA games up to that point. He still thinks I'm insane because he asks how far I am on GTA:Whatthehellever and I tell him I gave it a shot and it kinda made me sick.)

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
GTAIV is pretty good, I got it for my birthday last year with my PS3, there's plenty to do and see. I'm currently at 96%, I haven't finished up the last few races, and I'm afraid I missed something stupid small that'll take forever to track down anyway, so I haven't been feeling like it lately. The game has a lot to do, but it feels like there's still some variety here missing, I guess they decided instead of doing ambulance or firetruck missions, you'd rather just play online multiplayer. I admire what they're doing with multiplayer, but the reality is that there's a horrible imbalance in it, so that new players don't even have a chance to learn from their mistakes because they're mowed down so damned fast. I've spent a couple hours in multiplayer, and I do want to spend more, but the system is a little rudimentary, the lobbies are crappy so you can't even choose what room you play in, and chat is garbage.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
GTAIV is pretty good, I got it for my birthday last year with my PS3, there's plenty to do and see. I'm currently at 96%, I haven't finished up the last few races, and I'm afraid I missed something stupid small that'll take forever to track down anyway, so I haven't been feeling like it lately. The game has a lot to do, but it feels like there's still some variety here missing, I guess they decided instead of doing ambulance or firetruck missions, you'd rather just play online multiplayer. I admire what they're doing with multiplayer, but the reality is that there's a horrible imbalance in it, so that new players don't even have a chance to learn from their mistakes because they're mowed down so damned fast. I've spent a couple hours in multiplayer, and I do want to spend more, but the system is a little rudimentary, the lobbies are crappy so you can't even choose what room you play in, and chat is garbage.

I'm about 20% in, REALLY close to opening up Manhattan/Algonquin. I'm still getting used to the 360 driving controls as they're really rough as they're intended to be that way....I think. Is it like that on the PS3 too?

Overall, i'm really enjoying the story and the huge amount of options ranging from restaurants, clubs, bars, and even internet dating. It's pretty hysterical. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
For some reason I missed GTA 3 and have been rockin that lately, it's better than I had been lead to believe.

Personally I play "clean" kinda, I don't tend to do anything "criminal" unless the mission dictates (tho I do like running down them "pimp" characters, they say hilarious things)

I can understand Chux's aversion to some of the concepts in the games, but it is handled pretty well- heck in San Andreas some of the "bad guys" ARE cops, crooked ones. In some ways the main character (as in "you") is the least of the worst.

As for the carjacking, you don't even need a gun, you just open the door and your character says something goofy and you're off, no violence required (unless you sit there too long and the owner drags YOU out, in which case they usually give you the beats- I got beat up by an old lady last night and my sense of fair play made it impossible for me to fight back)

It's too bad that the "hard core" aspects of the game make some folks uneasy, they are seriously fun (and this from a guy who refuses to watch anything with mafia-type themes)

Can't wait til the PS4 comes out and I can get a used PS3 and finally play this installment, I have heard great things about it
:beard: Iso&Baws
CJ needs the afro AND the africa Pendant AND the Africa tattoo

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
For some reason I missed GTA 3 and have been rockin that lately, it's better than I had been lead to believe.

Personally I play "clean" kinda, I don't tend to do anything "criminal" unless the mission dictates (tho I do like running down them "pimp" characters, they say hilarious things)

I can understand Chux's aversion to some of the concepts in the games, but it is handled pretty well- heck in San Andreas some of the "bad guys" ARE cops, crooked ones. In some ways the main character (as in "you") is the least of the worst.

As for the carjacking, you don't even need a gun, you just open the door and your character says something goofy and you're off, no violence required (unless you sit there too long and the owner drags YOU out, in which case they usually give you the beats- I got beat up by an old lady last night and my sense of fair play made it impossible for me to fight back)

It's too bad that the "hard core" aspects of the game make some folks uneasy, they are seriously fun (and this from a guy who refuses to watch anything with mafia-type themes)

Can't wait til the PS4 comes out and I can get a used PS3 and finally play this installment, I have heard great things about it
CJ needs the afro AND the africa Pendant AND the Africa tattoo

I think GTA3 got a bad wrap cos of how damn big it was and how a majority of it didn't flow with the story. I frankly LOVE how large it was and flying from one end to the other only to parachute out to the ground below.

as for the argument, i'm really bored of it. Games are games and if you wanna get technical, i could counter and say that games such as Star Wars: TFU and even Super Mario Bros. were just as violent. Anything in the mind of a disturbed person can be constructed for destruction. That's why these games shouldn't be sold to young kids; i get tired of people standing on their soapbox, moping and adding nothing new to the argument. They can go back and play their uber family friendly wii games and let me do my thing in Liberty City /end my rant

Frankly, I found it to be REALLY fun after I beat SA to run around and destroy other gangs to control 100% of the gang territories. Running around and destroying 15 members or so at once was a blast and hella exciting!

You do make a good point about the characters though; very rarely in the GTA series do they start off as bad people, but through society and corruption, they end up having to go that route. CJ has no intention to get involved with all of that, but thanks to tennypenny and whats his face, he's forced into it.

I frankly, can't wait for GTA5 as they HAVE to go global at this point. I want GTA Tokyo or GTA Paris/London. THat would be amazing. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
02-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry to go back again to San Andreas, but yeah CJ was not only just trying to make "good", he was trying to help his friends (pretty much all of whom actually turn on him in crazy ways). I also enjoyed how DUMB CJ was, the way his complete ignorance regarding the Yakuza etc was played was totally hilarious, but without the laugh-tack I wonder how many people even "got" that. CJ was up for ANYTHING to help his friends and pretty gung-ho about it, but as the player watching the cutscenes all you could do was smack your head and yell "CJ NOOOO!!!"

And yeah GTA 3 is HUGE (not quite San Andreas big thank goodness) and to make it worse, my used copy did NOT come with the map haha

And I fully respect people having problems with it, even being vocal about said issues- I remember when I first saw Mortal Kombat and I thought it was a little TOO brutal and was almost more horrified than I was pleased with it for a good while- at that point I think it truly forced me to make SOLID definitions between "real" and "pretend", same thing with GTA, I thought it was kinda awful from all I saw of it and read, but when I got Vice City as a present I REALLY enjoyed it as an excellent game- the impression that you're playing a goofy TV show/movie is fairly powerful and well conveyed

El Chuxter
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Have I ever complained about the violence?

No.

I said I personally don't like playing a game where I'm killing cops. I know too many cops (mostly in my family) and it just creeps me out. I don't care if other people like it or not. I happen to enjoy violent games as long as the gameplay is solid.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
And yeah GTA 3 is HUGE
ah, damn, my fault. I was thinking about GTA:SA when I was talking about flying and whatnot, obviously.
:thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-25-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm about 20% in, REALLY close to opening up Manhattan/Algonquin. I'm still getting used to the 360 driving controls as they're really rough as they're intended to be that way....I think. Is it like that on the PS3 too? Don't think so. They're tighter than the previous games, but mainly in line with that. Simulation of a car that doesn't have the weight it should, but now has SOME weight (GTA3 was like driving a very fast blimp).

Overall, i'm really enjoying the story and the huge amount of options ranging from restaurants, clubs, bars, and even internet dating. It's pretty hysterical. :thumbsup:Yeah, it's funny stuff. Realism is weird though, it has some. Once you open Algonquin, you'll find there are 2 actual comedy acts at the comedy place, 1 from Kat Williams, and another from Ricky Gervais.

For some reason I missed GTA 3 and have been rockin that lately, it's better than I had been lead to believe.I started with Vice City, then went to 3, and I was shocked at how rudimentary the graphics, the missions, and the audio were on it. The whole look is flat and dingy, not in a stylistic way, but in-camera. The audio is nigh-unlistenable in any environment, it's downright useless most of the time. And there was something so unpleasant about getting around Liberty City in that game, it took forever and there were times when there was nothing to do.

Personally I play "clean" kinda, I don't tend to do anything "criminal" unless the mission dictates (tho I do like running down them "pimp" characters, they say hilarious things)It's astonishing how clean you can play GTA4, there's a whole faq about minimizing criminal activity in it, and to finish the game you have to kill almost nobody. It's much tougher though.

As for the carjacking, you don't even need a gun, you just open the door and your character says something goofy and you're off, no violence required (unless you sit there too long and the owner drags YOU out, in which case they usually give you the beats- I got beat up by an old lady last night and my sense of fair play made it impossible for me to fight back)Carjacking was way more interesting in Vice City and San Andreas than 4, people would tear after you. In 4, they might chase the car and pull you out, but that's rare and not especially interesting.

CJ needs the afro AND the africa Pendant AND the Africa tattooI went to the cut shop down by his house and got him the Mr. T - style mohawk and beard, then dressed him up as close as I could. That's the way to go, pitying all foo's.

I think GTA3 got a bad wrap cos of how damn big it was and how a majority of it didn't flow with the story. I frankly LOVE how large it was and flying from one end to the other only to parachute out to the ground below.You mean on the AIRPLANE THAT DIDN'T HAVE WINGS?!? I don't believe you're talking about GTA3, there were no parachutes from what I remember, and only 1 plane could fly, and it was nigh-impossible. Parachutes didn't come into play until San Andreas, and that environment was fun as hell to fly and crash planes and 'chute out. I'm still bitter about GTA3's "Dodo" airplane.

I frankly, can't wait for GTA5 as they HAVE to go global at this point. I want GTA Tokyo or GTA Paris/London. THat would be amazing. :thumbsup:IMO, until they fix the pop-ins issue (where you look behind you and then look forward again, and magically a car has appeared in front of you, especially a cop car), the game is still limited to a rather samey experience. And GTA4 could have used more side-mission stuff, like taking photos, following people... heck, they should have a "private detective" thing in there, it's the right environment for it.

The only thing I'll say about cops in GTA is that they aren't really cops, they are basically portrayed as another gang. They rarely stop other crimes, they rarely help you out when you need it, and they ignore every other mofo in the game slamming into the police cruisers in traffic, yet you make one little accidental tap and you're in a 2-star shootout! The cops in the game are a cheap parody like everything else in it, and should be taken as no more than that. I respect real cops, but video game ones? Nah, they're just shooting back and overreacting like everybody else in the GTA universe. My all-time favorite "on-the-street" line is the copy in San Andreas chasing you down loudly yelling "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOIN'!!!" :p Sometimes it can be fun and funny to play the bad guy, look at all the "Darth"s here.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I have about 12-15 missions left in GTA4 and I picked up Episodes from Liberty City as it's onsale at Target for $29.99 this week. I'm pretty excited to pop it open as I hear it has an 80's station and there are several skydiving missions. Also, "The Lost and the Damned" has gang wars, which I LOOOOOVED about GTA: SA.

I will say one complaint I have about GTA4 is there isn't much of a variety of locales and scenery. I love Liberty City and how vast it is, but one thing I loved about GTA: SA were those missions in the hills/canyons, woods, desert, and things like that. I know some folks complained about that, but that was one aspect I thought was fantastic.

Still awaiting news about GTA5! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree, Liberty City all feels like the same stuff. San Andreas is bigger, each section has its own flavor, and there are massive differences going between areas. Of course, SA was a whole state while GTA4 is merely 1 and a half cities (and Alderney is boring, I'm sorry but it's true, there's nowhere near enough going on). I was playing 4 through again a few months ago and just stopped about 3/4s of the way through, it's not the monster replay value that SA was, and multiplayer is too lopsided, favors vets too much.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree, Liberty City all feels like the same stuff. San Andreas is bigger, each section has its own flavor, and there are massive differences going between areas. Of course, SA was a whole state while GTA4 is merely 1 and a half cities (and Alderney is boring, I'm sorry but it's true, there's nowhere near enough going on). I was playing 4 through again a few months ago and just stopped about 3/4s of the way through, it's not the monster replay value that SA was, and multiplayer is too lopsided, favors vets too much.

I have yet to try multiplayer, but I don't have any real motivation to. I've gotten my arse handed to me on other online games (looking at you, COD4&WaW) to bother.

I did the finished up the first ending a bit ago: let Drako live and went with the Deal. Pretty tragic ending for Roman, I must say, but I liked how (with this ending) Niko talked about the importance of letting go and moving on. Pretty solid moment there.......and then it was all gone due to Roman's death. Bummer :( I thought the chase scene with Dimitri was really exciting and fantastic. I LOVED how you could see the Statue of Happiness alot during that cut scene, very intentional! I also liked how after the credits you had folks calling Niko and talking to him about Roman's murder; and even Mallorie who told Niko she's pregnant with Roman's child. Ouch.

I plan to do work on the second ending tonight by killing Drako and going for Revenge. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Oh man, I forgot about that ending. I've done the game a few more times, and somehow I never let Roman die, it's always the other way, it just is who I am I guess.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh man, I forgot about that ending. I've done the game a few more times, and somehow I never let Roman die, it's always the other way, it just is who I am I guess.

In terms of story, it's sad, but it's also a very well written ending as well. I'm still working on the "Revenge" ending, but I've had a lot more trouble with it then I did for the "Deal" ending. I think it's the extra batch of thugs that you have to deal with after Pegorino heads for the water. I got to the biking part, but messed up after hitting rocks. The second attempt at the biking part I headed into the three cars by the ramp jump and that was the end of that.

I just watched a video on youtube of that part of the game as I wanted to see where this ramp is; I guess it's off to the left by the three cars so I'll know next time.

I'm hoping to have it beaten tonight or tomorrow so I can start on Episodes from Liberty City.

Quinlain_Vos
02-26-2010, 01:47 PM
i got gta 4 i beat it i sold it not very much more to it then that i thought the shooting was to easy and the driving was perfect. the story was solid and the voice acting was superb however i prefer the open world enviroment of san Andreas and the ability to fly planes. the minigames were not very fun and at times it was hard to follow but it was efinatly a good game although i prefered the story in lost and dammed more.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Did you try the online? It seemed like the folks who were into the game loved them, but all I could do was lag and get mowed down in nanoseconds, or listen to 12 year olds acting stupid. IMO, the online concept they have here is brilliant in concept and the lack of a lobby or any real online controls of note flush it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-26-2010, 05:48 PM
i got gta 4 i beat it i sold it not very much more to it then that i thought the shooting was to easy and the driving was perfect. the story was solid and the voice acting was superb however i prefer the open world enviroment of san Andreas and the ability to fly planes. the minigames were not very fun and at times it was hard to follow but it was efinatly a good game although i prefered the story in lost and dammed more.

I do agree that in terms of open playability, I do prefer SA. It's a much wider world and as JT and I have discussed, it's much more diverse in its locations. Not to knock GTA4 as it's a superb game, but both SA and GTA4 have their pros and cons.

Did you try the online? It seemed like the folks who were into the game loved them, but all I could do was lag and get mowed down in nanoseconds, or listen to 12 year olds acting stupid. IMO, the online concept they have here is brilliant in concept and the lack of a lobby or any real online controls of note flush it.

You're gonna get 12 year olds acting stupid on every game, sadly. I do love playing other online games though, like L4D1-2 and sometimes Ghostbusters (whcih I haven't played since August and need to pick up again!)

I beat the second ending last night and it was also pretty exciting. Niko's jump onto the chopper via the dirtbike was great and I liked dodging rockets from Pregorino (even took a direct hit and died on my first try lol) but again, in terms of story and impact, I prefer the: letting Drako live and doing the "Deal" ending. Very tragic, poignant, and I loved the themes in regards to violence, freedom, and the United States. Excellent ending.

I tossed in GTA: Episodes from Liberty City and played "The Lost and the Damned" for a bit. Pretty fun game and it's great that you can ride around on a motorcycle and rarely fall off if you bump stuff. I guess in terms of story "LATD" goes first and the "Ballad of Gay Tony" finishes off the GTA4 storyline. I'm lookin' forward to skydiving and base jumping in "Gay Tony" but I'm UBER EXCITED that each game has roughly 25 gang wars each. YAY!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I was spoiled by SW Battlefront 2, the stupid kids were generally shouted down by the passionate gamers who WANTED to be there. And it helped that you could choose which servers you played on. With GTA4, it's a complete guess.

San Andreas is the perfect environment for fun, it's easily the best sandbox design I've ever seen or even heard about. A high flight ceiling, parachutes, great and varied locals, that was a real "universe" feel. The idea of multiplayer there would be amazing.

Quinlain_Vos
02-27-2010, 02:51 AM
i tried the online because my brother loved it. in my opinion it seemed kinda taked on and stupid. it felt half done like i was playing a beta

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
picked this up the other day since it was marked down to $29.99... haven't really had a chance to play it yet though. looking forward.

JediTricks
03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't know if the play itself feels like a beta, the actual play concepts hold water, but the front end system definitely feels like a beta! That's a good call. It needs lobbies.

AmanaMatt
03-06-2010, 10:12 AM
GTA IV is the first game in the franchise where I actually beat the story...not all the timed missions, but great game.....have the Liberty City eps gotta play still....

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 04:39 PM
You've never finished the story on Vice City? That's a great ending right there! San Andreas' story ending is only ok, but right before that last mission there's the riots which is just fun as hell to walk around doing stuff in. I was pretty bored by GTA3's ending.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
You've never finished the story on Vice City? That's a great ending right there! San Andreas' story ending is only ok, but right before that last mission there's the riots which is just fun as hell to walk around doing stuff in. I was pretty bored by GTA3's ending.

uh whu?!?!? San Andreas' ending just ok?!?! You have that great shootout in the warehouse, THEN, you have to chase down Tenneypenny (sp??) while your brother is hanging onto the back of their car and THEN you have to shoot them while your bro drives. How is that boring?!?!?!?!?!?!

but yeah, I do love the chaos of the riots, very well done and very culturally relevant. Another reason why I loved GTA:SA.

My fiance busted out GTA: Vice City last week and she's been playing it quite a bit. She's a huge 80's fan and I'm a lover of the 90's, hence why I prefer SA and she prefers VC. I still enjoy VC and it was hilarious looking at the older graphics during the cut scenes with their huge triangle hands. I played a few missions and couldn't but wonder: "how did I drive around Vice City without a GPS?!??!"

I'm about 4 hrs, 42 minutes, 37% into "Lost and the Damned" and i'm really enjoying it. A few of the missions are pretty tough as you don't get too much cover on your bike. I had to laugh though as while my gang and I were heading to a gang war, my bike blew up and I got into a car. As soon as I pulled out, one of my gang members yelled at me, saying, "What the f*** Johnny, get on a bike!!" and when I did he yelled, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" And despite the bad reviews I read about the main character, I rather like Johnny. He's an a-- for sure, but I kick out of him. Overall, very solid game so far! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
uh whu?!?!? San Andreas' ending just ok?!?! You have that great shootout in the warehouse, THEN, you have to chase down Tenneypenny (sp??) while your brother is hanging onto the back of their car and THEN you have to shoot them while your bro drives. How is that boring?!?!?!?!?!?! It felt mechanical, almost on-rails, not rewarding. Coming off the huge battle in the Warehouse that ended in a rather pedestrian shootout with Big Smoke, the rest was just boring to play. It's all buildup to that warehouse and then when you get to the top, the game just goes into "video game boss mode". I know it's very similar in some ways to the GTA4 ending, but the chase at the end wasn't corny and it didn't involve a bland boss-style shootout in the middle.

but yeah, I do love the chaos of the riots, very well done and very culturally relevant. Another reason why I loved GTA:SA.Yeah, I could spend so much time in that game, then turn on the riots (cheat code) and it's a whole new game. IMO, San Andreas is still the best game in the series and deserves to be looked at again for the PS3, not the same story but the same type of feel, a "whole world" feel. I would like to see Spider-Man 2 revisited for the PS3 in the same way, but that's not how the world works, unfortunately.

My fiance busted out GTA: Vice City last week and she's been playing it quite a bit. She's a huge 80's fan and I'm a lover of the 90's, hence why I prefer SA and she prefers VC. I still enjoy VC and it was hilarious looking at the older graphics during the cut scenes with their huge triangle hands. I played a few missions and couldn't but wonder: "how did I drive around Vice City without a GPS?!??!" To me, going backwards is the worst idea, what looked great in Vice City now looks terrible. The worst offender is GTA3 though, everything sounded terrible and looked just as bad.

Driving around VC is easy, there are only 3 major roads vertically and 4 horizontally, just keep driving and you get there. :p I like that map, but it could definitely have been expanded significantly. Of course, having Tommy sink like a stone the second he even looks at water was a poor choice too though, really limited the scope of a Miami-type neighborhood. VC is great to rampage in though, just blast down those long streets with the fuzz in hot pursuit.

I'm about 4 hrs, 42 minutes, 37% into "Lost and the Damned" and i'm really enjoying it. A few of the missions are pretty tough as you don't get too much cover on your bike. I had to laugh though as while my gang and I were heading to a gang war, my bike blew up and I got into a car. As soon as I pulled out, one of my gang members yelled at me, saying, "What the f*** Johnny, get on a bike!!" and when I did he yelled, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" And despite the bad reviews I read about the main character, I rather like Johnny. He's an a-- for sure, but I kick out of him. Overall, very solid game so far! :thumbsup:Awesome! It's not enough to make me get a 360, but it is slightly tempting. I didn't like what I read about Johnny's motivations and especially how he gets involved with Roman and Niko.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-15-2010, 09:26 PM
It felt mechanical, almost on-rails, not rewarding. Coming off the huge battle in the Warehouse that ended in a rather pedestrian shootout with Big Smoke, the rest was just boring to play. It's all buildup to that warehouse and then when you get to the top, the game just goes into "video game boss mode". I know it's very similar in some ways to the GTA4 ending, but the chase at the end wasn't corny and it didn't involve a bland boss-style shootout in the middle.

Yeah, I could spend so much time in that game, then turn on the riots (cheat code) and it's a whole new game. IMO, San Andreas is still the best game in the series and deserves to be looked at again for the PS3, not the same story but the same type of feel, a "whole world" feel. I would like to see Spider-Man 2 revisited for the PS3 in the same way, but that's not how the world works, unfortunately.

To me, going backwards is the worst idea, what looked great in Vice City now looks terrible. The worst offender is GTA3 though, everything sounded terrible and looked just as bad.

Driving around VC is easy, there are only 3 major roads vertically and 4 horizontally, just keep driving and you get there. :p I like that map, but it could definitely have been expanded significantly. Of course, having Tommy sink like a stone the second he even looks at water was a poor choice too though, really limited the scope of a Miami-type neighborhood. VC is great to rampage in though, just blast down those long streets with the fuzz in hot pursuit.

Awesome! It's not enough to make me get a 360, but it is slightly tempting. I didn't like what I read about Johnny's motivations and especially how he gets involved with Roman and Niko.

I see what you're saying about SA and I would LOOOOOOOOOVE to see that entire world revisited in the future, but I don't think it'll happen. I think if we see any revisiting of past games it'll be with Vice City, which would be fantastic though. I still don't get why SA gets a bad rap from som fans and critics; VC had the glitz and glamour, but SA was so freakin' HUGE. I used to love just flying around that entire map and parachuting down to the ground. Such a great freakin' game!!

lol Vice City roads are that easy, but I get lost in all the sidestreets. I was also laughing at yup, how easy Tommy sinks. It never made sense as to why they would base the game around so much water and not allow him to swim!

One really cool feature I forgot to mention about the "Lost and the Damned" is that if you and your gang are driving in proper formation, a symbol of your game pops up on the street and if you ride in it, your health and armor can recharge to full capacity. Also, one of your brothers in the gang sells you weapons from the back of his truck at low prices. It's great.

"Episodes from Liberty City" is being released on the PS3 and PC on March 30th, so you won't have to get a 360! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 10:25 PM
San Andreas had EVERYTHING! Even snow in 1 really meager level. Fun game, tons of missions, I guess folks didn't like that it wasn't realistic - it's a video game, it's hyper real! I think the only section of the game I didn't always enjoy was Las Venturas, doing anything north of the casinos with the tract housing, that area is too compressed. I loved flying planes, jetpacks, driving motorcycles off of tall buildings, bicycles, getting into fights because of how my guy dressed or how skinny or fat he was, doing his hair and costume like Mr T. It also had really good music, great DJs, and seamless transitions unlike Vice City where crossing a bridge meant a load screen.

Don't get me wrong, Vice City does its '80s miami thing great, but it's not a better game by any stretch than SA, unless you want to drive a bus for $5 a passenger, or get paid by cops to beat down crooks.

I think they hadn't thought it possible to make characters swim in the game engine for VC, that the engine needed 1 more pass to get there. But it's so stupid, like you said, surrounded by water should mean you can swim. Especially when a mission called for getting into a boat, or jumping boat to boat, boat to plane, plane to dock.

Woah, Episodes from Liberty City isn't exclusive anymore? How did that happen? Microsoft paid Rockstar $50 mil for them! That's bonkers! It's also coming to PC, but that's MS too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I had to laugh when I had my SA marathon in December of 08 I was playing in Las Venturas and my fiance was hanging out with me at the time. She lived in Vegas for a few years and she told me what route to take and it took me to the apartment complex where she used to live as it was in the game!

I finished "Lost and the Damned" a few days ago and overall, I enjoyed it. I thought it would go a bit longer for some reason as the ending was really unexpected; i didn't feel a big build up to it or anything, but maybe that's just me. I clocked in 11 hours officially (I load games when I die) and 26 gang wars. the gang wars are chaotic fun, but I dunno how many there are so I didn't try to finish them all. I heard that there are over 200?!?!??! I did enjoy the game though and the darker, dirty side of Liberty City. The assault shotgun was just fantastically awesome.

I started "The Ballad of Gay Tony" and it's a riot. The characters are hilariously goofy and the action is really, really over the top. There is an assault SMG, which is great, and the sticky bombs are really awesome.

I read some reviews that stated that this is what GTA4 should've been: less serious and more fun. I have to disagree as I enjoyed GTA4's gritty storyline, but I can see why other folks wouldn't enjoy it as much as previous stories.

joanaugusts
04-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Grand Theft Auto IV is a amazing game and I have never seen such crappiest graphics in any game.When I started playing this game I feel that every mission was driving challenge to me and the driving is awful.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV is a amazing game and I have never seen such crappiest graphics in any game.When I started playing this game I feel that every mission was driving challenge to me and the driving is awful.

wait, are you sayin the graphics are crappy?!??! i'd have to disagree. I will agree that the driving was bad, but once I got used to it, I got much much better.

I finished "The Ballad of Gay Tony" and it was really fantastic; much better than TLAD and on some levels, better than GTA4. I loved the fact that this story isn't as serious as the previous GTA4 games and it also has a great sense of humor, something that TLAD and GTA4 lacked a bit. Plus, the locations are shock full of glitz and glamour, which add more fun to the mix. The action was insane and so ridiculously over the top that you can't help but love it. I want to talk about it, but I don't wanna spoil anything. lol I will say that one of my favorite missions included stealing.....a subway car. yes, you read that right. lol

I enjoyed all of the GTA4 inside jokes and the characters are really great. Also, the inclusion of parachuting out of planes/choppers as side missions (and in the game too) is a freakin' BLAST. I plan to go back and complete the 15 base jumping missions.

Overall, it's a superb way to close out the GTA4 story. Also, as silly as it sounds, the pause menu music is, well, really beautiful. I dl'd a 10 min mp3 of it. lol :thumbsup: