PDA

View Full Version : Will some idiot try and steal one of the R2D2 mailboxes?

Tycho
03-30-2007, 04:29 PM
My comic book shop owner and I had a serious laugh fest last night:

We predicted some idiot was going to try and steal one of those R2-D2 mailboxes! A federal crime if there ever was one!

Further, we laughed at the image of a Star Wars geek with taped glasses, down on his hands and knees with a power drill trying to unscrew the security camps to the pavement, or jackhammer around them, then explain himself when the police come.

If he gets away with it somehow, my comic book store owner says the Post Office has their own law enforcement agency branch and the postal police are not the cops you want to mess with.

However, some idiot fan who actually DOES manage to drill through cement and rip off "the ultimate Star Wars collectible that no one else will have" will of course be so smart he'll post pictures of the mailbox alongside his collection on MySpace or film a video of himself and the box for YouTube.

The conversations in Federal Prison that will follow (or even the trial by jury) will be priceless.

"He followed me home claiming he was the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"This is not the droid you're looking for."

"I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission!"

"I was helping facillitate his escape from the Empire."

"The Post Master General? I've heard of the Separatist General. But he insists he's the property of General Kenobi. I saw the movie. There's a message for him in there somewhere. Just let me finish searching the letters in the box. I was trying to find that memo for Obi-Wan Kenobi when your officers basged into my mom's basement and accused me of vandalizing the Federal Mail!"

Tycho
03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
STILLAKID posted this link in the Star Wars stamps thread. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmetroblogger/426923396/in/set-72157600008959541/)

Too funny! :)

bobafrett
03-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Barry posted right here:

http://www.frappr.com/r2d2

I'm currently the first picture that shows up on the map, but as others add there faces, I'm sure I will fall off that position.

I wouldn't dare try to steal one of the mailboxes. I did think everyday though when KFC had a large Jar Jar display with all the toys inside. I would go in and eat there, and at 10:30 am, there wouldn't be anyone else eating. Most of the employees were in the back. *sigh* my conscience got the better of me.

DarthBrandon
03-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Most likely going to be you Tycho, who steals the mailbox, all the other geeks are too busy right now.:D

General_Grievous
03-31-2007, 11:25 AM
I think the only one with the audacity to steal one of these is Steve Sansweet.

2-1B
03-31-2007, 11:31 AM
If I knew I would get away with it...I would steal one. :)

stillakid
03-31-2007, 11:54 AM
If you steal one and have its memory erased, it won't be able to tell on you.

Tycho
03-31-2007, 11:57 AM

ROTFLMAO - imagining him facing his public after such a stunt!

However, because of who he is, it just wouldn't surprise me that much if he gets a special option to purchase one for his collection. :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
03-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Steal my @$$. That guy's got his nose so far up G.Lu.'s butt that he probably has the rights to all of them once the promotion ends.

LTBasker
03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Well, IMO I think the only person who would be determined enough to steal one would have profit in mind. However, this Ferengi wouldn't be able to get a profit anytime soon considering if one showed up on ebay they could easily discover it's the stolen one. They would have to wait to see if the others were sold when they were retired.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with them will be morons vandalising them because they think it's cool to ruin it due to the "nerdy" or "geeky" nature of it.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
You're all off base. Several of the Forumites have posted that some geeky, glasses-wearing nerd will try to do it; it'll be someone with no scruples, lots of power tools, more physical strength. Sell it (not on eBay or in print) to someone who wants one, make a cool $500+ on the sale (since it's dangerous and "rare" to find one), don't tell nobody, and try as many times as he (probably a male) can.

But let me make it clear, I think this is a bad idea; but the pessimist in me says it'll happen sometime.

JediTricks
03-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Steal my @$$. That guy's got his nose so far up G.Lu.'s butt that he probably has the rights to all of them once the promotion ends.Must be a big nose. :D

I'm sure someone will try to steal this and get caught, then 3 other guys will succeed and sell them for 5 digits on ebay. I bet if we leave it to the USPS, they'll just friggin' repaint them back to normal at the end of the promotion!

2-1B
03-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Why not work out a deal with LFL to sell mini-replicas of these things at various USPS branches? :confused:

Hell, make it a USPS online exclusive as a way to promote their website since they are always putting those postcards in my mailbox telling me to buy stamps online.

Seriously, they could make little metal mailboxes with R2 paint detail and sell those things for $15 to $20. All the goofy talk about stealing the real boxes aside, it's just not realistic for a regular collector to want a real box due to space limitations. But I bet that if people had a crack at a miniature version, they would buy it because it's a cool tie in to the 30th anniversary stamp promotion.

Rocketboy
03-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Steal my @$$. That guy's got his nose so far up G.Lu.'s butt that he probably has the rights to all of them once the promotion ends.He'd probably have to fight McCallum for the real estate.

Rocketboy
03-31-2007, 09:29 PM
You can have your own Artoo mailbox (http://www.starwars.com/kids/activity/crafts/f20070329/index.html).
:D

Double post. Why? Because I feel like it.

General_Grievous
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Unbelievable. This is a picture from inside Sansweet's Rancho Obi-Wan, taken from rebelscum. Look at the left side of the picture.

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/images/IMG_3925.jpg

Tycho
04-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Grrrrr. It figures!

....Sansweet, :rolleyes:

bobafrett
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the FBI is on to me. They have this picture that was taken just after I made love to my own stolen R2-D2 mailbox. They threatened to post it here, so I thought I would beat them to it.

Tycho
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
LOL Frett.

The caption should read, "We need to talk about last night..."

And the Star Wars quote could come from "Empire Strikes Back," - "You were lucky to get out of there!"

Hehehe.

Luuuuuuke
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
You can always throw mud on one of them and say it's a Dagobah R2-D2 mail box.

pbarnard
04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
You can always throw mud on one of them and say it's a Dagobah R2-D2 mail box.

No, because the variation collectors/scalpers will be all over it, driving up the prices, saying how it's more valuable than any other mail box. Course, that means I'll just try and pass off that nice dark blue one at the corner, as the new model...

El Chuxter
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
When is someone going to put a drink tray on one?

Luuuuuuke
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
My guess is if an R2 mail box heist happens, it'll be some idiot ramming his pickup into one early in the morning, hoping to knock it off its moorings. Then he and a few of his buddies will bust a testicle trying to hoist it on the truck's bed.

BountyHunterScum
04-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Why not make one to buy, jesus christ.

BountyHunterScum
04-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Steal my @$$. That guy's got his nose so far up G.Lu.'s butt that he probably has the rights to all of them once the promotion ends.

He or someone else. Too many *** kissers spoil anything.