PDA

View Full Version : McQuarrie C-#po and R2-D2 pics

DarkArtist
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
just found this over at StarWars.com.

DarkArtist
04-02-2007, 08:10 PM
sorry for some reason it didn't attach the pic it says that because I already posted the image under the Celebration IV thread I can't repost it. so check there for the pic.

Edit : Added link to pic

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15273&d=1175562425

Old Fossil
04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Not too keen on this set... looks a bit cheaply made compared to the Stormie, Fett, and Chewbacca. Too bad it's a Celebration exclusive, or I might have actually picked it up at retail to complete the Concept figure set, but I'll never pay secondary prices for this thing. Oh well...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I actually think this is pretty cool. I heard a rumor that they would be on two separate cards at two separate places, so this is somewhat of a relief.

Kidhuman
04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I dont care for em that much. I could care less if I get a set of em.

UKWildcat
04-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I could go either way on these. I prefer the R2 to the C-#po. ;)

RooJay
04-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Now this really chaps my hide. I was looking forward to being able to buy all of the McQuarrie concept figures, and was especially hoping they'd do these two. Since I can't really afford to go to CII, like a good many Star Wars fans worldwide I'm now pretty much out of luck! Thanks a bunch Hasbro. I just don't understand why they can't save convention exclusives for variations (package, paint or otherwise) that the general collector wouldn't mind missing out on - like CII's talking Darth Vader.:upset:

Slicker
04-03-2007, 02:47 AM
This is a pretty sweet set and I thought that since they were doing concept figures this should be one of the first ones out since most every SW fan has seen this pic. But I guess they have to get out the important concept figures like Fett first. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If I stay in the SW game I'll definitely try and get this somehow.

Battle Droid
04-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Why must they be exclusives? :upset:

JEDIpartner
04-03-2007, 10:19 AM
I hope this goes on-sale at the SWShop.com. I'd really like to get these. I've always loved this design.

El Chuxter
04-03-2007, 10:25 AM
The Celebration Exclusive should've been a turquoise Clonetrooper.

Droid
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I am pretty sure that the exclusives have always been available online. I don't think they're going to make these two figures and then only have them available at conventions. Hasbro has been loose in their keeping exclusives "exclusive".

My bigger worry is that they would only be available to the general public as part of a set of all the McQuarrie figures together in one package even though we'd have already bought the other figures individually.

JediTricks
04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I just posted this in the news article about these: Note the bio on the card back image for the Celebration IV figure, it says that the exclusive is not the duo above but "the amazing Ralph McQuarrie original concept of Luke Skywalker, who brings peace to the galaxy by serving his father." Sounds like the Celebration-exclusive figure was almost Concept Luke instead of the droids.

---

As for the figures themselves, it looks like Hasbro dropped the ball, 3PO's face is way off, his body shape is too wide, and his leg pose is all wrong. R2's not as bad, but his legs are so gigantic, it looks bizarre and totally different from the concept art.

Snowtrooper
04-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I think they look alright. They don't match up exactly to McQuarrie's painting, but its close enough for me. I do wish they would have vac-metaled the C-3P0 though. Its gonna be tough to get this thing online without having to sell your kids to afford one. Hopefully HTS sells it like they did the 501st trooper.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2007, 04:28 PM
This might belong in the selling section, but . . . As of now, I will likely be able to get five of these to sell to people here. PM me if you're interested and we can work out the details later.

jonthejedi
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm ok with R2, but C3PO doesn't quite look as femboty as McQ's orig. painting does(around the hips)...looks like Hasbro got a little nervous making him/it look too feminine.

Jargo
04-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Hasbro has completely missed the fact with this 3PO that the artwork showed him as a feminine droid. note the crossing of the legs as he walks in the artwork. the narrow shoulders and the extended hand.
this figure looks too masculine for 3PO. with those clumpy feet and over broad shoulders, big hands and awkward posing.

jjreason
04-03-2007, 05:25 PM
They're "fine", not exactly like the concept art but close enough. I really liked the looks of them carded.

TheDarthVader
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
PM sent, jabbajohn

These are okay with me. They aren't anything extraordinary, like the concept Fett, but they will look good in my concept collection.

AmanaMatt
04-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Dudes, I know I can always come here to get the 'Darkside' POV when it comes to figures.....every other board has seemed to worship the ground these two figs walk on, then I come here and over half of you are not impressed :thumbsup:

These look nice carded - I agree that C-3P0 looks off and I am disappointed in their paint jobs - a bit too drab looking. This is still a decent looking set and I love the look carded, so I will get these... R2 looks pretty cool - different than the pic, but they have the spirit of the concept R2; Threepio is the one I wanted them to hit 'out of the park,'

Oh, well. Not bad overall! :pleased:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2007, 04:56 PM
The five figures I offered have been spoken for, so, uh, check your PM boxes.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Dudes, I know I can always come here to get the 'Darkside' POV when it comes to figures.....every other board has seemed to worship the ground these two figs walk on, then I come here and over half of you are not impressed :thumbsup: It's their "love it no matter what" attitudes who keep us suffering weak likenesses such as this 3PO and the new Luke Ceremony. I think we should all be as discerning as possible about these, hold Hasbro to the highest standards of quality - we pay enough for this **** after all.

Droid
04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree the 3P0 is way off. It should look like a feminine droid and doesn't. I think that would irritate people because a) they are supposed to be capturing an iconic image that is quite DIFFERENT than the 3P0 we ended up with and b) it would be the first droid made that was feminine in appearance.

Kidhuman
04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Is it me or does 3PO look like the Rocketeer?

El Chuxter will lay the smack-down

pbarnard
04-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I think the size of the R2 is way off. I thought he'd be the size of the P2 droid. Actually, wait, I thought that he'd be what they call the P2 droid in books like the Arms and Equipment Guide.

El Chuxter
04-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Is it me or does 3PO look like the Rocketeer?

El Chuxter will lay the smack-down

Only if he tries to make a play for my The Rocketeer's woman.

She's hawt. There should be a movie about Hulk fighting the Rocketeer in a Labyrinth in the Dark City for her love.

Kidhuman
04-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Only if he tries to make a play for my The Rocketeer's woman.

She's hawt. There should be a movie about Hulk fighting the Rocketeer in a Labyrinth in the Dark City for her love.

Thats only a Requiem for a Dream

CaptainSolo is going to work right now

vadersvette
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I think these look great, a bit off, but great. I just wish/hope I can get my hands on these.

DarkJediCole
04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
It occurs to me that the queston of the exclusivity of this set would be a good one to pose to Hasbro the next time they field our questions. I tried to find out from a source of mine but have received no reply as yet. My question is this:

Is the C-3PO/R2-D2 McQuarrie Set an exclusive in and of itself (these figures will not be released elsewhere) or is this set exclusive only by virtue of its card back (which is specific to Celebraton IV) and clamshell packaging (which we know is unique to this set)?

If the latter is the case we can probably expect to see this set, or the two figures packaged individually) released with a future 30th Anniversary wave with a standard card back (featuring the other figures in the wave). I am hopeful that this will be the case as the packaging and perhaps the paint scheme would certainly qualify this as an exlusive even if the figures are released in a general wave. It would be simple to distinguish between the two versions. This is certainly a question that needs to be addressed. Does anyone have any insight on this?

stillakid
04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Does anyone have any insight on this?

Probably. :yes:

Old Fossil
04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Now the Concept Luke is a Celebration exclusive, too???

This is beginning to suck eggs. I wouldn't complain, but the Luke figure looks pretty cool to me, unlike the droids set.

Darth Cruel
04-10-2007, 02:57 PM
The think that makes me mad about this new exclusive is that the concept was not for Luke Skywalker...it was for Deak Starkiller. Luke was never described like this in the early writings. And this figure as an historical representative will not be correct if they do not correct the name. We might as well package Prince Valorum and call him Emperor Palpatine.

Edited for corrections to comparison.

Darth Cruel
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I just called Hasbro about this and the rep told me that mine was not the first call they got about this. But the more significant thing she said was that they at Hasbro had been reading comments about that on "some of the websites". Nice to hear a little confirmation that they are at least reading them occasionally.

RooJay
04-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Obviously the original artwork that accompanied the unveiling of these figures is not the actual art the C-3PO figure is based on. In fact, he actually matches up quite well with the art seen here:

(sorry I could not find a complete copy of the image, but it can be found here: http://www.dreamsandvisionspress.com/ - click on the banner, then again on the next page, then the link to Ralph McQuarrie.com, and finally on the Star Wars page; I also could not find an easier link)