PDA

View Full Version : What have you played recently?

General_Grievous
04-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Similar to the "What have you watched recently" thread, this is where we post the video games (or board games...or card games) we've been playing lately. I've been addicted to Guitar Hero II (for Xbox 360). I've been playing it all day. I feel confident enough to say that I can own anyone playing "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine.

JetsAndHeels
04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
TMNT and Superman Returns for PS2. I also have College Hoops 2k7 but I took a break from it.

Rocketboy
04-04-2007, 04:34 PM
All PS2 here:
Guitar Hero 2
Spider-man 2
NHL 2007

UKWildcat
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I haven't really played them recently, per se, but these are the games I am currently working on:

Vice City Stories: PSP
Quake 4: PC

I know I am leaving out a couple more but I can't think of them at the moment.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Spider-Man 2 on PS2, been playing the hell out of that lately. I've gotten some improved webswinging skillz, enough to wipe out almost all the challenges and crap that I couldn't do 6 months ago, but there are still missions like the last pizza mission, the last bugle mission (anything to do with the top half of the damn bridge kills me), and another 15 or so Insane challenges (I am not particularly good at mixed challenges, especially Loop and Orbit parts).

General_Grievous
04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Isn't it funny that almost three years after Spider-Man 2 first came out, people are still playing it? I was playing mine just a week ago.

Rocketboy
04-05-2007, 01:01 PM
That is just the sign of a great game, something we don't see too much of anymore.

JediTricks
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, this game is easily the best superhero game I've ever played, even if it's still flawed (I'm really hoping SM3 will add on to this engine in a positive way, I don't want them to take everything out, I like some of the easier random crimes and such). That swing mechanics engine still blows my mind, I can just swing around for hours and have a blast. The fight engine is pretty decent, it needs a little more oomph but it's pretty close. The game's freeplay aspects are great for moving around but need more stuff to do - I think that's what they should have done, put out a Spider-Man 2 II (yes, that's ridiculous) with some heavy focus on doing new quality story missions and adding dozens of new random stuff to do.

It's funny, I've played better games, and I played GTA San Andreas and Vice City a little longer in freeplay modes, but SM2 still seems to be the one I come back to.

UKWildcat
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
GTA San Andreas

AH HA!

GTA - San Andreas: PC

I'm in the middle of this one as well. Haven't played it in some time though.

JediTricks
04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, GTA:SA is a lot of mean-spirited fun, there's so much to do and so much funny stuff going on. The story stuff isn't quite as satisfying, but just running around more than makes up for it.

Lord Malakite
04-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Completing the catalog in Animal Crossing at the moment. Still trying to find a Wii so I can play Twilight Princess (which has been collecting dust since November).:cross-eye

I'll probably get Baten Kaitos Origins and Resident Evil 4 eventually.

Speaking of Resident Evil 4, I'm not exactly certain which version I should get if/when I do. The GCN version has the real time movie scenes, but none of the mini-games. The PS2 version has the mini-games, but the movie scenes are pre-rendered cuts from the GCN version. And now a Wii version is expected out that uses the remote's special features for aiming/shooting (with remote speaker support) and has the mini-games, but whether the movie scenes will be real time (like GCN) or pre-rendered cuts (like PS2) still isn't known.

Kidhuman
04-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Popped in BF2 the other day. First time I played my PS2 in 10 months.

Mabuducks loves video games.

Slicker
04-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Last time I played a video game was at Cappy's when we rocked out on Guitar Hero. Good times to be had.

jjreason owns 3 Canadian tuxedos

preacher
04-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I really like the DS and its library of games. I can't invest a great deal of time just sitting in a chair and playing. DS games are very quick and are much easier to pick up for say twenty minutes stints of gaming plus there are some really good games. Right now I'm playing Lost in Blue and Hotel Dusk.

On the Wii I'm playing Rayman Raving Rabbits. Game is hysterical and, again, doesn't require a lot of time invested to enjoy it.

JediTricks
04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Been thinking about "Ultimate Spider-Man" for PS2 for a while now, but had been recommended off it because of its weaknesses compared to SM2, then last week I decided to get it, naturally it fell off the face of the earth. Yesterday I spotted a lone copy in the back of Target on a spined display and picked it up. I stayed up late last night getting started with it. It's an entertaining game, I sorely miss the SM2 webswinging, and the combat system seems so far like random button mashing. There's some particularly inelegant aspects to the controls as well, and abandoning the L1/R1 buttons and D-pad altogether is a mistake. Still, it's Spidey fun and its look is really unique and top notch.

JEDIpartner
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Battlefront II
SW: Lego I & II

PC version

JediTricks
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Spider-Man has been a little mixed experience for me. There is a lot of Spidey fun in it, but there are issues holding it back that I never felt in SM2. For one, the fight mechanics feel very random, you fling about and mash buttons to the point where it seems like spray-n-pray. Venom stuff gets tired fast, it's like playing a beefed up version of Rampage - fun for a minute, but not much really to do beyond bust stuff up.

Also, Spidey is ridiculously slow moving on foot or swinging, he can't run on foot, can't dash when wallcrawling, can't jump fast or great distances, and his webswinging is slow as mud even with speed upgrades (nothing like leaping off a webline and losing nearly all forward momentum). Webswinging is such a painful step backwards, it's so slow and has the worst physics - great for keeping Spidey swinging low but awful for RACES! My biggest complaint about the game is those races, there's no camera lock-on so you have to use the difficult-to-see arrow and map to get you to your next checkpoint, and if that checkpoint is a trick checkpoint you can be totally screwed if you don't have your momentum down pat. Even worse, without the lock-on, the later races against the Human Torch are unbearable because HE can fly and see where he's going while you have to get to checkpoints that are often far away from buildings and outside of your vision. I was screaming mad on that 2nd Human Torch level for over an hour before perfecting it, restarting dozens of times without even triggering the first checkpoint, or getting all the way to the baxter building only to see I missed a checkpoint right behind it. The insane races were one of my least favorite aspects of SM2 - Treyarch should really burn in hell for some of those - but at least they weren't vital to upgrading your guy the way they are here.

A few more nitpicks include the annoying music that uses the measly sound effect for the city events, the constant sirens and screaming in the city background, and an occasional framerate slowdown. Still, it's more fun than not and I'm still playing it.

2-1B
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I played TMNT Arcade on my bro-in-law's XBox last weekend, WOW did that take me back in time to one of my favorite NES games ! :eek:

JetsAndHeels
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I played TMNT Arcade on my bro-in-law's XBox last weekend, WOW did that take me back in time to one of my favorite NES games ! :eek:

That is what I have been playing, on my old 8 bit nintendo.

On the ps2, I am still trying to get 100% on the TMNT movie game.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Gradually getting closer to finishing Lego Star Wars II. There are a lot of other games that I started in the past couple years but didn't get through. Maybe when I get done with Lego Star Wars II, I'll go back to Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Halo, or one of the several Star Wars games I've never finished.

On the computer, I've been playing a lot of Scrabble Rack Attack on www.games.com.

2-1B
04-15-2007, 07:44 PM
today I visited my bro-in-law who got Guitar Hero and I must say I found it quite addicting ! I only played 4 songs myself, but I really enjoyed it. My set list was:

Billion Dollar Babies
Mother
Strutter
Cherry Pie

I would have played Last Child but my bro-in-law already played that one first to demo the game for me. :)

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Guitar Hero I & II
NHL 2K7
Namco Museum (Pac-Attack rules!)

2-1B
04-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Caps, I got totally hooked on that Guitar game with one song...I'm going back tomorrow to play some more. lol

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Caps, I got totally hooked on that Guitar game with one song...I'm going back tomorrow to play some more. lolWhich song? Take it from an expert, if you want to retain your love for the game, DO NOT play "Psychobilly Freakout" or "Carry Me Home".:mad:

2-1B
04-16-2007, 08:08 PM
First song I ever played was Billion Dollar Babies...it would have been Last Child to fit my Aerosmith addiction but my bro in law had already played it. Tomorrow I'm gonna play Last Child. :grin:

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
First song I ever played was Billion Dollar BabiesYou damn kids and your XBox360 downloadables. :shakes fist:

I'm seriously kinda bitter that PS2 doesn't offer anything for download. I want to play "Possum Kingdom" too, dammit!!!

2-1B
04-16-2007, 09:17 PM
You damn kids and your XBox360 downloadables. :shakes fist:

I have no idea what it's all about...I just see the song options that my sister's husband has and I pick from there.

Nothing beats rocking out to "Mother" ! lol lol lol

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Nothing beats rocking out to "Mother" ! lol lol lolIn terms of sheer guitaritude you're totally right. Lyrically, that is by far the weakest cover in the game. I'm pretty sure me and twelve tasty Molsons could karaoke better than that.:)

General_Grievous
04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Which song? Take it from an expert, if you want to retain your love for the game, DO NOT play "Psychobilly Freakout" or "Carry Me Home".:mad:
AMEN, BRUDDA.

I've beaten GHII (the 360 version) on easy and medium. I'm trying to get 5 stars on all songs in medium mode. I can't get past 4 stars on only those two songs. I'm frustrated to the point of wishing those two songs never existed. On the other hand, I've mastered both of them on easy.

My favorite songs in the game are "Surrender", "Shout at the Devil", "Killing in the Name", "Free Bird", "Dead!" (360 exclusive) and "Thunderhorse" (Unlockable 360 exclusive).

In regards to Cap's comment about the poor cover of "Mother", it's bad, but it's one of the few bad covers in the game. They can't seem to get a decent sound-alike of Ozzy Osbourne. The guy covering "Message In A Bottle" actually sounds like Sting.

The 360 version features downloadable songs from Guitar Hero 1 via the Xbox Live Marketplace. As of right now, I have every song so far, 83 total. And I've played all of them. :eek: Yeah, I've lost my soul to this game.:twisted:

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I can get through both of them on all levels, but can't do better than three stars on either on expert, fours on hard.

Speaking of "extra" songs, good luck with "Jordan" by Buckethead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGbOfrD2zrs) on expert. That's the only song I've yet to beat and I refuse to even bother trying anymore. In the video I linked to, make sure you watch the two minutes between 1:30 and 3:30 before you, like me, say "That doesn't look that tough!":D

2-1B
04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
In terms of sheer guitaritude you're totally right. Lyrically, that is by far the weakest cover in the game. I'm pretty sure me and twelve tasty Molsons could karaoke better than that.:)

I wouldn't know what you are talking about, since I was too busy singing loudly over the tune.

I couldn't even hear the lyrics on the game. lol lol lol

Rocketboy
04-17-2007, 02:52 PM
My favorite songs in the game are "Surrender", "Shout at the Devil", "Killing in the Name", "Free Bird", "Dead!" (360 exclusive) and "Thunderhorse" (Unlockable 360 exclusive). Thunderhorse is on the PS2.

I actually think "Mother" ain't that bad. "Trippin' On A Hole" is much worse (but still a great cover) - Scott Weiland's voice is pretty tough to reproduce.

DarthQuack
04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Super Paper Mario is pretty sweet for the Wii, has anyone else played this yet?

AoDfan
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I've been playing Oblivion, Guitar Hero 2, and Gears of War on the 360 recently. I'll be playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance when ever they get around to putting out the new Heroes and Villians character packs.

General_Grievous
04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Thunderhorse is on the PS2.

Oh. My bad.

I just scored five stars on every song in Medium (Take that,"Psychobilly Freakout" and "Carry Me Home"). I don't think I've got it in me to go for Hard mode. I can master easy and medium modes, but anytime I try a song on hard or expert, I get booed off the stage within a minute. Oh well. It's still fun as hell on medium and easy.

What mode have you guys been playing GHII on? Expert? Hard? Medium?

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2007, 06:33 AM
What mode have you guys been playing GHII on? Expert? Hard? Medium?I've finished it on expert but still have a ton of 3 star performances I need to go back and fix, I've got all but two songs 5 starred on hard ("Carry Me Home" and "Psychobilly Freakout) and I've 5 starred everything on medium with most of them gold starred as well. Once in a while I'll play a song on easy just so I can eventually unlock the guitars, but its pretty painful to sit through some of those songs. It helps to turn on "Hyper Speed", since it makes it go a bit faster. If you get stuck on a song, I actually recommend you try it on hyper speed. It seems to sync up better. At the very least, it makes normal speed seem slower.

(If you're interested in using Hyper Speed, enter Orange, Blue, Orange, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Orange, Yellow on the main menu.)

Rocketboy
04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Shoot, as much as I've played it, I still have trouble on medium. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, it took me nearly five years, but I finally installed Galactic Battlegrounds on my Mac. Just finished playing through the training campaign. It went better than the one time I tried to play Age of Empires. The only problem is I can't recall what I did with the manual. I think it came with a thick manual, but all I have is a large fold out technology tree and a small hint book.

General_Grievous
04-28-2007, 07:51 PM
I've just been playing Spider-Man (the game based on the first movie) for the PS2. I haven't played it in about three years. It was a good stand-alone game, but Spider-Man 2 actually makes it look bad. I'm going to play that again next to gear up for Spider-Man 3 (the game and movie) on Friday.

Dar' Argol
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Been playing a LOT of Final Fantasy XII, along with kingdom Hearts 2 now that its $20. Plus I just got Guild Wars for my PC. MMORPG with no fee!!! Sweet!

JetsAndHeels
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I've gone back to playing Madden 07. I decided to update my Jets roster and now I am starting a new season (the 2006 one) just to get more practice and try to get my skills right....I am thinking about entering a Madden tournament come July/August when 08 is released.

BountyHunterScum
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I am replaying a few games like The Punisher for PC NFS Carbon, replayed Tomb Raider Legend, finished Tiberium Wars not too long ago. I replayed NFS Most Wanted recently too.

BountyHunterScum
05-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Star Trek TNG A Final Unity on XP.

JediTricks
05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Opine perhaps?

BountyHunterScum
05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Opine perhaps?

What do you mean?

BountyHunterScum
05-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Star Trek TNG a Final Unity was a pc game from 1995, I thought it took place between All Good Things and Generations since it came after the show ended but memory alpha suggests between Descent II and Liasions. The story involves The Unity Device an ancient tool of unlimited potential. The Chodak made it thousands of years ago.

preacher
05-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Playing Super Paper Mario. Only one word can describe this game - WHOA!

This is far and away the most innovative platformer I've seen in a long time. I must admit there could have been more to the 3d side of things, but even so, to see how the 2d world translates into 3d is amazing. Impossible to describe. You have to experience it. Suffice to say this was a well thought out game. And the whole 2d to 3d warp-thing that happens does not feel like a gimmick.

I wouldn't say that the Wii offers anything specific that the other gaming systems couldn't have done themselves. I think Mario Galaxy or whatever its going to be called is going to have a tough act to follow in terms of uniqueness.

Don't be deceived by the "cuteness" factor either. Some of the challenges require some brain power to figure out. Plus you get to play as Bowser in some parts!

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
What do you mean?
I wanted your opinion of it. :p

BountyHunterScum
05-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I wanted your opinion of it. :p

Oh ok, I loved the game. I read a review which pretty much sliced and diced it mercilessly but the game is very good. If only such games like this were made in this era.... I can see why television ceased to exist in Star Trek the pencil-neck exec's doomed it centuries ago.

JON9000
05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, it took me nearly five years, but I finally installed Galactic Battlegrounds on my Mac. Just finished playing through the training campaign. It went better than the one time I tried to play Age of Empires. The only problem is I can't recall what I did with the manual. I think it came with a thick manual, but all I have is a large fold out technology tree and a small hint book.

You should be able to find out everything to do on Gamefaqs. The "story" part of the game is pretty lame. The basic build and battle mode is a lot more fun; I could never beat more than 3 other factions on "hard" mode. My strategy was to always get the renewable resources first, the holocrons and banthas, always herd them into nurseries. You might even still find the odd player online.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Since I posted that, I played though a game and beat two computer opponents. I won via the monument route. I was at the point where that was about my only option for winning. Everytime I built up some forces to go attack, I ended up losing a fair amount of them without making as much of a dent in theirs as I would have liked. At the end, there was one resource that I couldn't find any more of, so I was to the point where I couldn't build a lot of stuff.

BountyHunterScum
06-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Spider-Man 3, good game can be frustrating and looking for the tokens on top of buildings is quite a task.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 06:48 AM
I went thru Medal of Honor: Frontline for the millionth time last week.

I'm just biding my time until "Guitar Hero: '80s Edition" comes out next month.:D

2-1B
06-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I wish they would do that 80s Edition for XBox...

JetsAndHeels
06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I took a break from Madden and played some Superman Returns again. Started it all over on a new game. Yay.

UKWildcat
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I started Half Life 2 a couple of days ago. I have played it through once before but that was when it first came out, figured it was time to revisit it. Great game.

Lord Malakite
06-09-2007, 05:07 AM
I just got done playing "Family Guy: The Game" the other day. On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd have to give it a 4 1/2.

The adult humor of the game stays true to its source material, so if you enjoy the TV show you'll love all the zany things that happen in the game. As far as plot goes, there are three stories taking place at once.

The first is Stewie's story. Bertram (Stewie's half brother) has destroyed Peter's PTV satelite dish which Stewie had planned to use for his mind control device. So now Stewie is attempting to seek vegence and stop Bertram from launching his own mind control space satelite.

The second is Peter's story. He get hit over the head by his own PTV satelite while watching a 5 day long Mr. Belvadere marathon. Delusional, Peter now thinks that Mr. Belvadere has kidnapped Lois and Peter sets off on a rescue mission by taking on all of Mr. Belvadere's henchmen (which unfortunately happens to be the unlucky pedestrians of Quahog).

The third story involves Brian, who is attempting to escape the police. Brian has been accused of rape by impregnating Mr. Pewtershmidt's race dog Sea Breeze again and now Brian must track down evidence that will clear his name and lead him to the real father, all the while dodging Joe and company.

On the merits as a video game though Family Guy is very troublesome. Controller movements/actions aren't quite as precise as could be and the fixed camera angle only adds to the frustration, especially when jumping at platforms towards the screen that are out of sight. In addition, glitches are rampant in this game. From crawling under objects as Brian only to magically appear on top of them and getting caught or a game ending glitch that appears in Peter's second stage involving a checkpoint that if you have to restart at prevents you from continuing on as not all of the enemies will appear for you to defeat/advance.

There are a hand full of flashbacks like on the TV show which are played out as mini-games for weapon upgrade/invisibility bonuses. Some are quite amusing and some are just completely ripped off from the show, such as Stewie's Marco Polo skit or the time that Peter forgot how to sit down. I especially enjoyed the "We ran out of money for creating mini-games so press any button on the controller to win. - You did it, yay." skit.

None of the mini-games appear to be overly difficult to win (some are even practically impossible lose unless you do so on purpose) but explaining exactly how to play the mini-games isn't handled very well as instructions aren't given to you until the game begins. For a first timer to the game trying to learn exactly what you are trying to accomplish may prove to be an instant failure. By the time you figure it out it may already be too late due to the short time limits.

All and all, if you can get past its short comings as a video game and are a fan of the show then Family Guy can be an enjoyable experience.

BountyHunterScum
06-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I found all Spider, Skyscraper and Subway Rat tokens.

Luuuuuuke
06-11-2007, 02:27 AM
The last new game I played was "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" on the Wii. That caused me to dust off "Ocarina," which I finished, and also "Wind Wakers."

aeneas89
06-11-2007, 01:49 PM
i love my xbox 360 (star wars lego man!) but i bought a wii yesterday and spent all day on tiger woods golf. it's amazing how the motion capability works.

despite no next gen graphics, if force unleashed fully maps saber control and force powers to the numchuck control it could be the greatest thing since 5-25-77.

kool-aid killer
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Over the weekend i beat the Nintendo DS game "Star Wars: Lethal Alliance." I didnt care too much for how redundant the levels were: fight through soldiers, run into energy shield, send droid to disable energy sheild, resume fighting. I grew weary of having to do the same thing over and over, only in different levels. Granted, most games are like that, but this one seemed to be like that so much. I give it a 2 out of 5.

AoDfan
06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Busy playing Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition now. Just as much fun as playing it the first time on the Gamecube.

kool-aid killer
06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Is Resident Evil 4 a two player game? I hope so, nothing could be more fun than blowing zombies away with a teammate right by me.

Lord Malakite
06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Resident Evil 4 is a one player only game. It can't be called a true horror game unless you are going it on your own.;)

Mad Slanted Powers
06-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Over the weekend i beat the Nintendo DS game "Star Wars: Lethal Alliance." I didnt care too much for how redundant the levels were: fight through soldiers, run into energy shield, send droid to disable energy sheild, resume fighting. I grew weary of having to do the same thing over and over, only in different levels. Granted, most games are like that, but this one seemed to be like that so much. I give it a 2 out of 5.
I resumed playing Halo a couple weeks ago. I hadn't finished it, and it had been a long time since I last played. However, it was still the similar redundant levels as I had been playing before the long break. Fight through a room, fight across a bridge, down a level to another room, fight through that and get to another bridge. Finally made it past that. I think I am on the final level, but I'm not sure.

kool-aid killer
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Resident Evil 4 is a one player only game. It can't be called a true horror game unless you are going it on your own.;)

Dammit! I need someone to hold my hand. :D

BountyHunterScum
06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Tomb Raider Anniversary, good game but can be frustrating with the Wall Run Grappling Hook stuff. Luckily the time trials aren't necessary for any "real" goodies this time.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Tomb Raider Anniversary, good game but can be frustrating with the Wall Run Grappling Hook stuff. Luckily the time trials aren't necessary for any "real" goodies this time.I wish that was available for X-Box, otherwise I might get it. I've been thinking of going back and playing the old Tomb Raider games again though. I only finished the first two, and was alternating between playing III, Last Revelation and Chronicles at one point before I moved on to something else.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Picked up RE4: Wii Edition. Haven't found time to play it yet though; definately this weekendish.

Also, REALLY wanna get The Bigs for Wii, but can't spare the $$ yet. My comic shop back where I got my undergrad caught fire over the weekend, so i might have to track down about 75 bucks in back issues. Luckily nobody was hurt.

AoDfan
06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Tomb Raider Anniversary will be on the 360, but in DLed installments on Market Place. You need to own Tomb Raider Legends to DL, and play it to boot. Thats the word so far.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Would you need to have the 360 version of Legend? I have the regular X-Box version, but wouldn't want to have to buy it again if I were to get a 360. The point is probably moot since I probably won't be getting a new console anytime soon. I'll at least wait to see what Star Wars games are coming out and which platform has the ones I would want to play.

General_Grievous
06-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I've been playing both "Transformers: The Game" and "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" for the 360.

AoDfan
07-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Would you need to have the 360 version of Legend? I have the regular X-Box version, but wouldn't want to have to buy it again if I were to get a 360. The point is probably moot since I probably won't be getting a new console anytime soon. I'll at least wait to see what Star Wars games are coming out and which platform has the ones I would want to play.

Yes you would need the 360 version. So I don't think it would be worth it to buy a 360, Legends, and a Live account.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes you would need the 360 version. So I don't think it would be worth it to buy a 360, Legends, and a Live account.Certainly not to just play that game. Since it is supposed to be kind of a remake of the original, I can just go back and play that one instead.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Played some RE4:WII edition and love it. The aiming style is a bit rough as i'm used to the regular PS2 version, but once I get the hang of it, it'll be awesome. Still a intense game!

POTC: AWE Wii- Pretty decent game as all you do is swashbuckle and sword fight, but seriously, it's a pirates game, why do much else?

The Bigs - Wii- Fun game, but really hurt by the control scheme which seems to lag and be non responsive. Not buying this one sadly.

Rocketboy
07-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I've been playing Killzone for PS2 lately. Fun game.
Panned by critics and it wasn't the Halo killer it was hyped to be (and I really didn't care if it was - not a Halo fan at all).
I haven't played it in a very long time because I got to one part and got stuck (meaning I got my arse handed to me repeatedly, which ticked me off). Practically blew through that part this time and think I may be getting close to the end.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I finally finished Halo this week. I was on the last part trying to drive the warthog out of there and I kept running out of time. At one point, I realized right away that I wasn't going to make it and I chose "restart level", which ended up taking me back further than I expected. So, I had to fight my way through a bunch of stuff again. It didn't take quite as long the second time, but it was a bit of a pain.

Not sure what to go back to now. I was in the middle of several games last year that I never finished: Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and Jedi Outcast. I think right now I'll just play some classic arcade games with Namco Museum or Atari Anthology.

aeneas89
07-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Also, REALLY wanna get The Bigs for Wii

I've got the Bigs for Wii. there are some response problems with the motion controller and the pitching. It can be difficult to throw the pitch you want (fastball versus slider that sort of thing) and it gets a bit frustrating.

However, having said that, the game is a heck of a lot of fun to play and the arcade aspects of super heat and power blast actually turn out to add a surprising level of strategy to the game.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I've got the Bigs for Wii. there are some response problems with the motion controller and the pitching. It can be difficult to throw the pitch you want (fastball versus slider that sort of thing) and it gets a bit frustrating.

However, having said that, the game is a heck of a lot of fun to play and the arcade aspects of super heat and power blast actually turn out to add a surprising level of strategy to the game.

Yeah, I bought it, didn't open it and then got nervous and rented it. It's a fun game, but like you said, the control is screwy. Fielding was a nightmare for me, personally. I ended up taking it back and returning it. I bought MLB 2007 for the PS2 instead. A regular baseball game; thank the maker.

Also got THRILLVILLE for ps2 as it's now 19.99. I couldn't resist as it looks like fun. Ever since JURASSIC PARK: OPERATION GENESIS, i've enjoyed sim building things. Should be a blast! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Borrowed a copy of The Warriors for PS2, not bad but fight engine could have used a wee bit more creativity.

JetsAndHeels
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
I went back to playing the TMNT movie game on ps2. Been alternating between that, Superman Returns, and Madden 07.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-16-2007, 11:59 PM
I went back to playing the TMNT movie game on ps2. Been alternating between that, Superman Returns, and Madden 07.

Jesus J&H, how are you STILL playing SR? That game was a letdown to me and in fact, I deleted the saved game I had to make room for MLB 07. Buy a new Superman game or somethin' cos that game can't be that fun anymore!! :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Jesus J&H, how are you STILL playing SR? That game was a letdown to me and in fact, I deleted the saved game I had to make room for MLB 07. Buy a new Superman game or somethin' cos that game can't be that fun anymore!! :crazed:

Haha, I love that game man. You get to fly around Metropolis and beat up baddies!! Plus you get to take on Mongul and Bizarro!! :)

aeneas89
07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Picked up NCAA 2008 for the 360. The campus legend mode seems interesting but still no create a school.

Gameplay is very smooth but there seems to be some momentary lag here and there. All in all, the jury is still out for me - the recuriting system is all new so hopefully the dynasty is that much deeper.

Go Trojans.

AoDfan
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
With my 360 in the shop, nothing much I'd like to play on the PS3, I've started playing Soul Calibur 2 on the Gamecube again. Gotta finish that Weapon Master mode.

aeneas89
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
a new force unleashed trailer is up on gamespot.com

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/starwars2007/index.html

looks awesome.

JetsAndHeels
07-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Rented Medal of Honor: Vanguard today..played the first 2 levels and I like it alot. Hopefully I can complete it within a week before it is due back.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 02:13 AM
a new force unleashed trailer is up on gamespot.com

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/starwars2007/index.html

looks awesome.
First video I got to play in my new laptop with its widescreen HD monitor. My desktop couldn't play it at all, not enough system resources.

CaptainSolo1138
07-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Rented Medal of Honor: Vanguard today..played the first 2 levels and I like it alot. Hopefully I can complete it within a week before it is due back.
Keep us (or me, at least) posted on this game, J&H. I read a rather scathing review of it and decided to hold off on it. If you think it holds water, I may give it a shot.

JetsAndHeels
07-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Keep us (or me, at least) posted on this game, J&H. I read a rather scathing review of it and decided to hold off on it. If you think it holds water, I may give it a shot.

Sure thing. Like I said, I am only through 2 levels, but so far its good. A typical MOH game per se....As I go through it I will update you...but just judging by the beginning I think it is definately worth a rental at least.

JetsAndHeels
07-24-2007, 08:33 AM
CaptainSolo1138, this is for you!!

I completed level 4 on MOH yesterday. So far, so good. This one mixes things up pretty good...you parachute some off of planes, you blow up panzers, etc.
Like I said in my previous post, it is pretty much what you would expect from a MOH game.

I will keep you updated as I continue through the levels.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I've resume playing Jedi Outcast on my X-Box. Based on the times on my saved games, I hadn't played since last June.

CaptainSolo1138
07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
I will keep you updated as I continue through the levels.It'd be appreciated. One of the big downsides I heard about this game is that it's even more "business as usual" than the other MOH games are; almost as though they phoned it in. Is it?

JetsAndHeels
07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
One of the big downsides I heard about this game is that it's even more "business as usual" than the other MOH games are; almost as though they phoned it in. Is it?

If you mean more of the same MOH type stuff...well, yeah. It's your typical first person ww2 game you would expect from MOH games. Not that it is really a bad thing....for me at least. The only MOH game I completely finished was Frontline. I didn't like Rising Sun and I never completed European Assault.

JetsAndHeels
07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Ok, now I am in the 5th level of MOH. This is a tough one....you have to push into a German headquarters building (an old abandoned house) and clean it out. Then as you proceed into the building 3 panzers surround you and your squad.
Luckily you only take on one group of Germans and one tank at a time..the problem is if you are anywhere remotely close to a blast from the tank you are automatically dead and have to go back to where you must clean out the house all over again.
So far I have gotten 2 out of the 3 tanks, but that last one always gets me. I guess I will have to time it right and turn it into scrap. There are bazookas placed in the house in the upstairs level for you to use. The thing is you must hit each tank 3 times with the bazooka to destroy it.
Hopefully by my next post I will have completed this mission.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2007, 07:46 AM
If any of you are looking for "Guitar Hero Encore: 80's Edition", go to Best Buy's website. DQ sent me there and it's on sale this week for $39.99 and you get a free $15 gift card!

JetsAndHeels
07-30-2007, 10:45 AM
CaptainSolo1138, I finally got to the last level of MOH yesterday. It is long and very difficult at the end.
You make your way through several old warehouse buildings, bunkers, and tunnels. You encounter alot of German resistance, tanks, etc.
You also must maneuver through an open space where snipers are waiting for you at every turn. You must go underground through small tunnels to avoid being killed.
Once I finally got through that, you must clear out more German resistance in an old factory. When you get through there you make your way into an abandoned house where Germans and tanks wait in the field just outside.
I died over and over again, either getting mowed down by machine guns or getting blasted from tank fire. It was very difficult. In fact I never finished the level. I spent several hours on it, and just couldn't seem to complete it. I had to cut it off because there were other things I had to do. I think that may be the end of my MOH: Vanguard career as it has to be returned today.

General_Grievous
08-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey Cappy, I saw in the "August Hauls" thread that you picked up Guitar Hero Rocks the '80s. How is it?

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey Cappy, I saw in the "August Hauls" thread that you picked up Guitar Hero Rocks the '80s. How is it?
Haven't played it yet. I grabbed it out of the mailbox on my way back to work after lunch. I'll get to it by tomorrow night and let you know how it is.

Forumite Darth Quack has played it already and could surely make a comment here for you though I'm sure.

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Hey Cappy, I saw in the "August Hauls" thread that you picked up Guitar Hero Rocks the '80s. How is it?Double post. Eat it, Grimlock.

I would only recommend this game to you if you are a fan of GH, since that's who it is obviously aimed at. It has an awesome set list, albeit way entirely too short (30 songs, with no "bonus tracks"). I completed 19 of them last night with no trouble, which brings me to my next point: If this game is truly aimed at hardcore GH junkies, they should have cut out the easy sets and gotten right to the harder stuff. I've watched videos on YouTube of some of the tracks in the final set list ("Caught in a Mosh" by Anthrax and "Play with Me" by Extreme) and they look rather difficult, but they look comparable to something like "Psychobilly Freakout" in GHII in that they're tough to 5 star but totally passable.

The only real complaint I have about the game besides it's length is the people they got to sing the cover versions of the songs. Some are really good ("Turning Japanese", "We Got the Beat" and "Synchronisity II") and some are really bad ("Holy Diver", "What I Like About You" and "Balls to the Wall") leading to a rather inconsistent sound throughout.

Overall, it kind of seems to me that some programmer had a free weekend and decided to make some 80s themed skins for the game and on Monday morning the rest of the crew was like, "Sweet! Now lets throw together some songs and call it an 'encore'!". Even the instruction manual is cheap, putting just the warranty disclaimer (I believe) between two neon "80s" looking GH pics and then including a poster with the GH how-to's on it.

Thus far, I'd give it an 8/10.

Rocketboy
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Wow, now I'm glad I haven't bought it yet. I'll wait until the price drops to $20-30 (which may never happen, since GH1 is still $40).

DarthQuack
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Well said Capy....I definitely feel as it's an expansion pack instead of a whole new game, especially since there is no songs to buy which I was rather disappointed with....

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Double post. Eat it, Grimlock.

I would only recommend this game to you if you are a fan of GH, since that's who it is obviously aimed at. It has an awesome set list, albeit way entirely too short (30 songs, with no "bonus tracks"). I completed 19 of them last night with no trouble, which brings me to my next point: If this game is truly aimed at hardcore GH junkies, they should have cut out the easy sets and gotten right to the harder stuff. I've watched videos on YouTube of some of the tracks in the final set list ("Caught in a Mosh" by Anthrax and "Play with Me" by Extreme) and they look rather difficult, but they look comparable to something like "Psychobilly Freakout" in GHII in that they're tough to 5 star but totally passable.

The only real complaint I have about the game besides it's length is the people they got to sing the cover versions of the songs. Some are really good ("Turning Japanese", "We Got the Beat" and "Synchronisity II") and some are really bad ("Holy Diver", "What I Like About You" and "Balls to the Wall") leading to a rather inconsistent sound throughout.

Overall, it kind of seems to me that some programmer had a free weekend and decided to make some 80s themed skins for the game and on Monday morning the rest of the crew was like, "Sweet! Now lets throw together some songs and call it an 'encore'!". Even the instruction manual is cheap, putting just the warranty disclaimer (I believe) between two neon "80s" looking GH pics and then including a poster with the GH how-to's on it.

Thus far, I'd give it an 8/10.

Thanks for the input. I'm a huge Guitar Hero fan, but I have GHII for the Xbox 360. It has its perks, though. About half the songs from GH 1 are available for download via Xbox Live. I was asking your opinion about this game because I'm assuming that many of the songs from "Rocks the 80s" will be available to download in the future. So now I know to avoid "Holy Diver" and go for "Turning Japanese". :thumbsup:

preacher
08-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm playing rocks the 80s and having a blast. IMO this is the best release yet. Of course I am a child of the 80s so admittedly there is a lot of nostalgia. Is it worth $40? In the words of Poision, if you "ain't looking for nothing but a good time, how can you resist?"

Next time Guitar hero III. Gotta play me some "Welcome to the Jungle!"

CaptainSolo1138
08-10-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm playing rocks the 80s and having a blast. IMO this is the best release yet. Of course I am a child of the 80s so admittedly there is a lot of nostalgia. Is it worth $40? In the words of Poision, if you "ain't looking for nothing but a good time, how can you resist?"It's a good game, but I'll certainly argue against it being the best one yet, since it doesn't hold a candle to the song selection in GHII or the quality of GHI. I finally got the time to finish it last night on hard. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed. After playing the last three songs, I wanted more, as the difficulty was finally ramping up to a relatively challenging level. Hopefully expert will give me what I want.

Next time Guitar hero III. Gotta play me some "Welcome to the Jungle!"I am looking forward to this game like no other! Why you ask? Because of songs like Dragonforce's "Through the Fire and Flames" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ZutgOyA9EY). Thank God it's a bonus track, otherwise nobody would ever finish the game!:)

AoDfan
08-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I wish that was available for X-Box, otherwise I might get it. I've been thinking of going back and playing the old Tomb Raider games again though. I only finished the first two, and was alternating between playing III, Last Revelation and Chronicles at one point before I moved on to something else.

Just an update about it on the 360. A few months after its release on Marketplace, they will be releasing it to stores in disc form.

General_Grievous
08-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Because of songs like Dragonforce's "Through the Fire and Flames" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ZutgOyA9EY). Thank God it's a bonus track, otherwise nobody would ever finish the game!:)

:eek: That one may even be difficult on easy! You think you can beat that on hard, Cap?

CaptainSolo1138
08-14-2007, 06:45 AM
:eek: That one may even be difficult on easy! You think you can beat that on hard, Cap?I'm gonna go with "yes", but mostly because by the time it comes out and I fail it miserably you'll forget about this post. :D

aeneas89
08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Got my copy of Madden 2008 for the 360 yesterday.

The weapons feature, hall of fame players and create a team feature are huge additions (even though i think the '06 360 version had the best graphics).

I created a team in L.A. and then stocked it with all the NFL'ers - past and present - who went to Southern Cal.

It's a blast to have Matt Lienart run a sweep with Reggie Bush one play and then toss a seven yard slant to Frank Gifford the next.

DarthQuack
08-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Been playing a lot of Mario Strikers Charged for Wii, just the Cup's so far, my internet kinda blows for trying to play online matches....may get the lan adapter....not sure yet though.

General_Grievous
08-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I got my first 1000 note streak in Guitar Hero II playing "Famous Last Words" by My Chemical Romance (which I downloaded through Xbox Live).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Picked up Tiger Woods 08 for the Wii and I'm REALLY enjoying it. I'm not the best golfer on the planet and this is a system that brings that out with how interactive it is, but luckily, I only came in 36th in my first tour event!! :thumbsup:

Sadly, this one doesn't have any online features, so hopefully that's something EA will take care of with Tiger 09. I read some reviews that said the control is far improved from 07 and as I never had 07, this game suits me just fine. If you enjoy a relaxing game of golf on the Wii, I suggest picking this one up for sure!! :thumbsup:

If only "Trauma Center" would ever drop in price, i'd snag that one too :upset::upset:

Lord Malakite
08-31-2007, 12:13 AM
If only "Trauma Center" would ever drop in price, i'd snag that one too :upset::upset:

I'd expect Trauma Center: Second Opinion to drop in price sometime between now and mid-November. Trauma Center: New Blood for the Wii is expected out on 11/20/07.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-31-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm still working my way through Jedi Outcast on the X-Box. I swear those Gran seem immune to their own thermal detonators. Plus there are several occasions where they are tossing them all over the place from someplace above me and I can't tell where they are coming from. Same thing with some of the Rodians with their disrupter rifle beams.

AoDfan
09-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Just got Bioshock for the 360. Freakin awesome is all I can come up with. All it needs is some metal band doing a retro 50'ish cover to Under the Sea.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I'd expect Trauma Center: Second Opinion to drop in price sometime between now and mid-November. Trauma Center: New Blood for the Wii is expected out on 11/20/07.

I figured it'll drop then too, but i figured that it's sold relatively well, it's been out since November, SURELY, nintendo must give it some price droppage, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :crazed:

I did pick up the ultra bada-- Tiger Woods golf club accessory for Woods 08 for the Wii. It's ultra awesome and since i'm a pretty horrific golfer, it's punishing me, but it's also making me far more disciplined! I just got a 5 under on Aviara including several birdies and two aces!! Made my night. :thumbsup: