PDA

View Full Version : Serentity over Star Wars

Kidhuman
04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
According to the poll of 3000 people in SFX magazine it is. I call Shenanigans on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm

El Chuxter
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Anyone who votes for anything by Whedon as better than anything else deserves a kick in the nards. That guy is an idiot. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Besides, I'll get flak for this, but TV sci-fi always, without exception, looks cheap. Firefly, Trek, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica -- they all look like low-budget crap. At least the first two Trek series bothered to be good enough in other ways that you could overlook how embarassingly stupid the visuals were.

And Serenity looks just like the POS TV show it was based on.

General_Grievous
04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Whedon rigged the polls.

pbarnard
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Must've been a poll at a support group for those who think George Lucas raped their childhood with the special editions, and thought that the promise of Sarah Michelle Gellar giving them a favor for a vote was a valid promise by Whedon.

Rocketboy
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
What a buch of BS. I love Firefly/Serenity, but better than Star Wars? No f**king way.

Anyone who votes for anything by Whedon as better than anything else deserves a kick in the nards. That guy is an idiot. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.Idiot or not, Firefly was far better than almost everything in the prequel-era of Star Wars.

Besides, I'll get flak for this, but TV sci-fi always, without exception, looks cheap. Firefly, Trek, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica -- they all look like low-budget crap. At least the first two Trek series bothered to be good enough in other ways that you could overlook how embarassingly stupid the visuals were.Firefly had some of the best effects I've ever seen on tv. 5 years later it still looks great, IMO. Its what gives me hope that the Star Wars tv series will look good.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Firefly/Serenity's "Browncoats" are very rabid online, especially at a time when the Star Wars prequels have negatively impacted the public's opinion of that franchise. But there's another aspect at play, the "best sci-fi" aspect, Star Wars is somewhat weak sci-fi really, it's heavier on the fantasy than the others. Serenity holds far truer to its sci-fi roots, as does 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner, than Star Wars does.

2-1B
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
I loved Firefly but not more than Star Wars, including the prequels (for the most part).

UKWildcat
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I really enjoyed both Serenity and Firefly. However, I don't think that Serenity is better than any of the original Star Wars movies, the prequels yes, but not the originals.

El Chuxter
04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Firefly had some of the best effects I've ever seen on tv. 5 years later it still looks great, IMO. Its what gives me hope that the Star Wars tv series will look good.

"Star Wars TV" and "good" in the same sentence?

I think your expectations are a little high. ;)

Star Wars is somewhat weak sci-fi really, it's heavier on the fantasy than the others.

Probably why I like it more. I've honestly never been too big on "hard" sci-fi. I like the stuff like Asimov or Bradbury or Vonnegut, that uses a futuristic setting to tell a normal story, but I've never been able to get into books that take several pages to detail the inner workings of a diethyl wontuphenate crystal elixir warp drive launcher.

BountyHunterScum
04-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Battlestar IS cheap because they have to use very adult content to "tell the story" at least when tv was innocent they didn't need to stoop that low to tell a story. I agree with Chuxter the first two Star Treks were the best, DS9's only plus was the Defiant, Voyager's might have been Voyager itself or the Prometheus. Enterprise's plus if it had one imo was the ship itself other than that screw it. Star Wars will always be better than Serenity, to suggest otherwise is asinine.

JediTricks
04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Probably why I like it more. I've honestly never been too big on "hard" sci-fi. I like the stuff like Asimov or Bradbury or Vonnegut, that uses a futuristic setting to tell a normal storyThat's essentially what sci-fi is supposed to do, the science is supposed to set a backdrop for the fiction. I'd say Asimov and Bradbury are considered fairly "hard" sci-fi. Of course, none of this is really the same as what we're talking about because sci-fi books are very different from sci-fi movies.

pbarnard
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Battlestar IS cheap because they have to use very adult content to "tell the story" at least when tv was innocent they didn't need to stoop that low to tell a story.

But it wasn't cheap 27 years ago to direct it at kids? So saying that anything that addresses adult issues and situations is cheap? That would imply lots of other films and shows are cheap too that many would consider great.

BountyHunterScum
04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
But it wasn't cheap 27 years ago to direct it at kids? So saying that anything that addresses adult issues and situations is cheap? That would imply lots of other films and shows are cheap too that many would consider great.

You know exactly what I mean so back off. Perhaps I should have used the word Sleazy.

pbarnard
04-05-2007, 09:33 PM
No, I didn't do the logical fallacy you made. What was your point?

JetsAndHeels
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey Chux, Smallville isn't low budget crap and doesn't look that way either. You dissappoint me.

Rocketboy
04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Chux, Smallville isn't low budget crap and doesn't look that way either. You dissappoint me.From what I've seen of Smallville, I'll have to disagree.

JetsAndHeels
04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
From what I've seen of Smallville, I'll have to disagree.

Thats fine. You dissappoint me too.

figrin bran
04-06-2007, 12:28 AM
i thought Serenity was a western :p

BountyHunterScum
04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
No, I didn't do the logical fallacy you made. What was your point?

I got it right the first time, I explained it but if you did not understand it that is not my problem.

El Chuxter
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
i thought Serenity was a western :p

I thought it was an episode of Seinfeld.

Phantom-like Menace
04-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, I loved Serenity and Firefly--desperately tried to keep up with it on television. Buffy, Angel, Firefly, they all have far more impact in my mind than his lesser works like Aliens Resurrection or Titan A.E. (which itself has a certain charm to it).

Otherwise, I don't like trying to compare the quality of Star Wars with most other movies but there is no way anyone being objective would allow that Serenity has the cultural significance of Star Wars. I mean the very first thought Whedon had in reference to Serenity was of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon.

Otherwise, I strongly agree with JediTricks. There is a small but very vocal group of people who really love the Firefly franchise, and the prequels turned some very hardcore fans away from Star Wars. Even some of you here have stated that you can't even watch the OT because of the effect the PT has had.