PDA

View Full Version : The Tudors

UKWildcat
04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
So was anyone else able to see the Showtime premiere or encore of The Tudors? If so, what did you think?

I just got around to watching it last night and I thought it was okay. It was kinda slow at times, but that is understandable as they are developing the characters and the story right now. I'm not a big history buff so I don't know too much about it and how accurate or inaccurate it is or is going to be.

It appears they picked a good group of actors. I don't know much about Jonathan Rhys Meyers (King Henry VIII) but he has done a good job. Again, not sure how he compares to the real King Henry the VIII. Sam Neill is good people. I really like Callum Blue as an actor, I was just introduced to him while watching Dead Like Me (Mason). Steve Waddington has done a pretty good job as well (he played Duncan in Last of the Mohicans). There are a bunch of other recognizable actors on the show too. There are also a bunch of hot chicks in the show, with exception to King Henry's wife. I don't know what thats all about, but I can see how he constantly cheats on her; he is quite a player.

The show definitely has some promise and I'll continue to check it out as long as it keeps me interested; and the upcoming episodes appear like they will do just that.

For those of you who have HighDef, this show looks stunning. I was greatly impressed with the quality and the colors throughout.

The timeslot, Sunday nights at 10 is okay for me. Thankfully I have a DVR so I can record it while I watch Entourage, so thats not a big deal (I knew they weren't going to put it up against Sopranos).

Overall, a good show that has the potential to become excellent. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

2-1B
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't have Showtime but I could see myself watching this on DVD.

Kidhuman
04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a DVD that showtime handed out to us at work. Dont know whats on it, might be the first epsiode or two. I dont have Showtime, but might get it, dont know yet

TeeEye7
04-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Tudors? I'm holding our for four doors. We're talking cars, right?

UKWildcat
04-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Tudors? I'm holding our for four doors. We're talking cars, right?

lol

I've still been keeping up with this show, The Tudors, but it is slowly losing my interest. It is a pretty good show, for the most part, but it is really slow and can be boring at times. It ends up taking me like 3 tries to completely watch one episode at night because I usually fall asleep during it; which is really frustrating. :laugh: I guess I'm to blame too, but if the show had more to it than it would probably keep my interest, and keep me awake. Maybe I need to find a different time to watch the episodes, sometime during the day. If it still puts me to sleep, then we have a problem. :ermm:

The show is good and has a lot going for it so I'm going to do my best to stick with it. :)

Jargo
04-28-2007, 04:58 PM
it's a historical drama about real people and you want them to invent stuff? what else could they add? i mean they spent most of their time either endlessly talking or listening to repetitive music or eating and drinking, dancing and then some hunting. or they sat for portraits, or wrote letters and music. a bit of theatre and they took taxes from the poor and suffered smallpox and gout. perhaps a bit of war here and there but those wars generally lasted a day r two as the losses were huge. there was trade and boat building. sex. death. more eating and drinking and dancing and wearing of haut coiture. oh and public executions for fun. mostly dull day to day stuff though. Unless they concentrate on one particular area of life for the tudors it's going to be dull and plodding. most eras of history are dull and plodding until you get to the 1960's.

UKWildcat
04-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Like I mentioned earlier, I really don't know much of the historical elements to the show. If I knew each episode was going to be boring and have practically nothing happen each week then I wouldn't have even bothered watching it in the first place. All the advertising and specials I had seen about the show, prior to it airing, portrayed it as being really exciting and having lots of stuff happening. This was not the case, from the episodes I had seen anyways. I guess it may get more exciting and interesting later on...

I tried sticking with this show but I finally gave up on it. After each episode I watched I basically felt like I wasted an hour of my life. It's a shame too. The scenery/picture was beautiful and the acting was good. But because nothing really happened each week it lost my interest. Given the boring concept, I'm really surprised this show got the green light. I'll be surprised if it is a successful show for Showtime and gets picked up for a second season. But maybe I'm in the minority here...

Jargo
04-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I've never seen the show but obviously I know a bit about my country's history. I have to say it isn't the most inspiring period to cover. if it was a show that followed just Henry VIII I could see an appeal but there's enough versions of that story been done already. The last half decent one starred Ray Winstone as Henry.
I think most costume dramas fail though. The Romans got two seasons but that relied on sex scenes and innaccuracies to keep it going. Ialso think most costume dramas are best cut down to feature length and released as movies. just showing the most exciting bits and leaving it at that. Otherwise they just get deathly dull and only appeal to anyone who happens to be a historian or the actors who were in the show.

UKWildcat
04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I think most costume dramas fail though. The Romans got two seasons but that relied on sex scenes and innaccuracies to keep it going.

True. If you are referring to Rome, I have never seen the show but I hear it was pretty good while it lasted. I thought the Tudors was going to be somewhat similar which is one of the reasons I started watching it. I thought it was going to be good and interesting, exciting, etc., and I wanted to catch the show early and stick with it for the duration. But like I mentioned earlier, it wasn't all that great, imo of course. I'm sure there are people who really enjoy the show; I just found it to be more like a potent dose of Nyquil. ;)

Ialso think most costume dramas are best cut down to feature length and released as movies. just showing the most exciting bits and leaving it at that. Otherwise they just get deathly dull and only appeal to anyone who happens to be a historian or the actors who were in the show.

I agree 100%. I was trying to think of a target audience and all I could come up with were Historians/History Professors. Like I said, I'll be shocked if this show gets picked up for a second season b/c I don't think the audience is there, and if it was there, most probably stopped watching due to boredom (like me).

It really is shame though. I thought this show had tons of potential. I didn't see myself giving up on it so quickly. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Every time I hear the name of this show spoken, I giggle a little.

UKWildcat
02-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Every time I hear the name of this show spoken, I giggle a little.

Very mature! :rolleyes:

I'll be surprised if it is a successful show for Showtime and gets picked up for a second season.

Like I said, I'll be shocked if this show gets picked up for a second season b/c I don't think the audience is there, and if it was there, most probably stopped watching due to boredom (like me).

Well, I guessed this one wrong. And I'll be the first to admit it. The Tudors is coming back for a second season, and judging from the previews I have seen, it looks rather engaging. Will I watch it? Not a chance; as it will probably follow the trend of last season; look very interesting and entertaining from the previews, but end up being boring as all get out (IMO of course). I never did finish up with the first season, so I don't know how that turned out, but the show definitely had some promise. Maybe I was right (from the get-go) or wrong (from my last viewings). Chances are, I will never know.

Anyone else keep up with this show? I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask anyways.