PDA

View Full Version : Saving UPC Symbols

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Do you still bother saving the UPC bardcode symbol that is enclosed on each box or figure that you buy?

I know that a few years ago, there was a promotion that let Star Wars collectors turn in their points (I believe an online promotion, something tells me E-Bay? :confused: )

There is a huge Zip-Loc bag of them sitting in my dresser right now, and something is telling me that I shouldn't bother wasting time and space to cut these little suckers out, and wait for something to happen with them.

Kidhuman
04-08-2007, 06:01 PM
They used to have JEdi Master points on them. They held an auction a few years back to redeem them, but nothing after that.

LBC likes hockey

Rogue II
04-08-2007, 07:01 PM
For some reason, even though I open my figures, I've kept all the cards. So, I have a card for just about every figure I purchased since the POTF2 started.

Vote for El Chuxter in '08.

2-1B
04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Those Jedi Master Points will pay off some time, I have to keep faith !

Kidhuman
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I hope they do Caesar, I just recently opened all my figures and saved all my JMP's.

JimJamBonds ran in the Boston marathon last year

Old Fossil
04-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I never give a second thought towards saving those things.

Slicker
04-09-2007, 03:02 AM
I used to keep all of my cardbacks (and they just may be in my storage shed still) but I could care less about any promotions.

mtriv73
04-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Those Jedi Master Points will pay off some time, I have to keep faith !

Yeah, if you're ever camping and need some tinder to help start your fire then those JMP's will come in real handy (I prefer dryer lint and parafin wax though.) Other than that, Hasbro pretty much told us they were worthless after the "auction." They didn't completely rule out using them in the future, but it would be hard to imagine they would come up with a mail-in or anything to redeem something they haven't had on packages in years.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-09-2007, 09:03 AM
I save all my cards as well. At the time of the Jedi Master Point Auction, I didn't have too many open, but I cut them out from as many as I could, but never used them.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Do you still bother saving the UPC bardcode symbol that is enclosed on each box or figure that you buy?
Yes. Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Always have, always will. Save and store the whole card/box, as others have mentioned previously.

jjreason
04-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I saved them for years - then found out my 3000 some odd points wouldn't even get me a figure during the promotion. Shortly after that, they were in the recycling bin - along with any intent on my behalf to clip anything else from the packaging.

JediTricks
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I still save the cardback and tray insert which has the UPC on it, I don't even know why anymore though.

Droid
04-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I save them too and can't for the life of me figure out why. I've thought about tossing them all a bunch of times, but I just never do.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I keep them as reference I guess. No different than keeping them carded really, except I get to keep the packaging and enjoy the figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I consider myself lucky, since I actually got to use my JMPs in the auction - I got a Silver Toy Fair Vader in addition to a board game I've still never played (probably should give it a try soon). I really doubt they'll ever do this again, unless they start redoing a points system - didn't they have something almost similar to this during the OTC?

I also keep all my packaging for whatever reason I do. Back in the POTF days, I would cut out the little card, trim away the extra crap, and also keep the bottom part with the pictures of the new figures. I continued to cut them in half through the Episode I line, and then I realized how retarded that was.

bigbarada
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I remember one of the first mail-away offers Hasbro had, they didn't only require you to keep the POP's from the card, but provide a purchase receipt to prove that you had bought the figures within the timeframe of the promotion (in other words, figures you bought before a certain date didn't count). So I think it's useless to keep these things.

JediTricks
04-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I remember one of the first mail-away offers Hasbro had, they didn't only require you to keep the POP's from the card, but provide a purchase receipt to prove that you had bought the figures within the timeframe of the promotion (in other words, figures you bought before a certain date didn't count). So I think it's useless to keep these things.
Ep 1 Mace Windu, that promo sucked eggs! 6 UPCs with receipts showing you bought them in a 2 month window at the end of '98, PLUS $3 for shipping - way to reward loyal customers Hasjerks!

Kidhuman
04-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Ep 1 Mace Windu, that promo sucked eggs! 6 UPCs with receipts showing you bought them in a 2 month window at the end of '98, PLUS $3 for shipping - way to reward loyal customers Hasjerks!

I paid $25 bucks for my Mace Windu at a comic shop

Thunderbird
04-13-2007, 10:16 PM
The cool thing about the Mace Windu offer was you didn't have to match the upc's with the reciepts. I just sent 6 of what ever SW POP I had with the correct dated reciepts. As long a you had 6 they didn't care if it matched. I also sold POP to my carded collector friends for something like 5 bucks or something like that. It was win win for all of us.:yes: