PDA

View Full Version : If You Get a Job at Circuit City, Don't Get Used to It!

DarkJediCole
04-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Anyone who has worked in retail establishments, especially chains, is familiar with the indifference with which such establishments regard their employees. This article from the Washington Post shows that Circuit City has taken this to a new level. Long-term employees are just too pricy to be kept around, especially when you can fire them and bring in cheaper new-hires! The big question now is why anyone but the most uniformed would take a job with this company knowing full well that the longer you stay the less they need you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/28/AR2007032802185.html?referrer=emailarticle

mtriv73
04-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I read this article last week, and frankly, it digusts me. I'll never buy anything else from that infernal chain. The people they are getting rid of are the ones who could actually answer my questions. I'm a science geek. I don't have time to keep up with everything that's new in electronics. That's what their employees are for, for heavens's sake. It looks like it's Best buy or nothing now, unfortunately.

El Chuxter
04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
$11.59 is overpaid?

Yeesh. I love how we keep hearing in the news that unemployment is down, but then the average wage keeps plummetting and no one wants to report that.

Of course, they base unemployment figures only on first-time unemployment claims, so that's f'ed up to begin with. :rolleyes:

Sad thing is, Circuit City will lose the edge it had over Best Buy now, as all their employees will now be as dumb as the humanoid rocks that work at BB.

stillakid
04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I stopped going to Circuit City years ago after they proved themselves to be highly incapable of accomplishing even the simplest of tasks. What really pushed me over the edge was when I left my truck to have speakers put in. I was given an estimate on how long it would take, phoned back to be told that it was ready, then showed up to find my doors still ripped apart and not one speaker installed. The loser gang-like bozos working there had the social skills of Jello. I made them put my car back together and I left without the speakers.

That's the kind of customer service you get when a company places a priority on hiring unskilled, unmotivated, and underpaid morons. I'm sure CC will fold soon enough.

mabudonicus
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
The "race for the bottom" is all good until you get to the actual bottom- paying less for folks who are worth less (not "worthless" btw) will work to a point, but once you can't afford to hire a person with basic competence, it's kinda all over

PS sorry if this is the comment that gets this sent to the 'pit but I have a feeling that the thread can't progress much further without going in that direction ;)

:beard: Iso & Baws

Jargo really wants to complete his tattoine dioramas someday.

bobafrett
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I imagine Wal-Mart will follow this same *#@&ing line of stupidity. I see them hire new idiots all the time. And it's not always that the employees are at fault, sometimes it is the lack of good training skills for the posistion. I, for example, was put back in bike assembly when the garden center converted over to Christmas. I was given a one bike tutorial on how to assemble a bike. There are many styles of bikes, and I noticed some of the bikes were coming back when I started, now we usually only get the ones that fols bring back after riding them for two years, and the tires are bald, and they take them back.

Kidhuman
04-09-2007, 08:44 PM
This is what Home Depot did about 5 years ago. There were about 7 people including myself that were working thre a few years back and they found any resaon to fire us. As people can attest, where I live is a low cost of living rate. I was making 15 bucks an hour in a place where minimum pay usually starts off about 6 dollars an hour. Needless to say we all got fired with in 2 months of each other and we all made over 13 dollars an hour. Screw companies like this and damn them all to hell.

jjreason
04-17-2007, 06:31 PM
God, I've noticed the decline in usefulness of Home Depot employees most. It was once an AWESOME place to get help/advice over simple household jobs (that I need help with - totally tool-stupid here) - now it blows donkeys. I never shop there anymore, we have a RONA right across the street that must have hired all the knowledgeable and pleasant staffers HD let go.

JEDIpartner
04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I looked at TVs at Circuit City and bought it from Amazon for $300 less and free shipping.

UKWildcat
04-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I did the exact same thing Jp, but I saved a little over $400. :p

JON9000
04-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I looked at TVs at Circuit City and bought it from Amazon for $300 less and free shipping.

I did the exact same thing Jp, but I saved a little over $400. :p

Here is the reason why Circuit City ditched its overpaid employees. That and the fact that Best Buy pays about $1 over minimum wage to its associates, who do the exact same thing CC people do. Nobody wants to pay for customer service anymore, and the market adjusted. Besides, smart people who wish to buy consumer electronics now have the internet to do their own reseach, which was just breaking out back when I worked at Best Buy as a kid.

The only reaon Best Buy and Circuit even have employees is to peddle those stupid service contracts, which is where the margin is nowadays.

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, they even try to sell them on CDs and videogames. "Would you like to protect your purchase for only an additional 25% of what this $8 purchase costs?" Bullcrap.

I recently got fed up at Circuit City. A few weeks ago, they were running a sale for 25% off all "Great Deal" games. So I grabbed two and went to the register (with some other stuff). One rang up at 25% and the other didn't. I pointed this out.

The guy at the register stared blankly at the ad for a full minute until I pointed it out.

This was one of those ads that CC (and BB and Target) are fond of, where it says "All" but shows a small representative sample. This bozo totally didn't get it. "Oh, that's only on these four games, sir."

"Then why does it say 'All'?"

"It's all four of these."

"It says 'All Great Deal games.' That means all, not four."

"I'm sorry, it's only for these four."

"Then why did this other game I picked up, which isn't in the ad, ring up at 25% off?"

"I don't know. But it's only for these four."

"Can you call a manager up here? Someone's made a mistake somewhere, because this says one thing, and you're telling me something completely different."

He pages a manager, then stands there for a couple of minutes. He actually apologizes to the people in line that I'm being difficult! (How frigging obnoxious can you get?) I'm thinking, "Oh boy, I can't wait until the manager is up here. I don't normally complain about stupid employees, but they normally don't tell other customers I'm being difficult, either!"

Finally, his phone rings. The guy answers it, totally unprofessional, and says maybe five words before hanging up. "He's on break, but he says you're wrong."

The frigging manager, if it was indeed a manager, didn't have the frigging professionalism to respond to a customer complaint!

I just calmly looked at the guy and said, "I'm not stupid, and I'm not being difficult. Your ad says one thing in plain English, and you're denying that. Your company policy is that in the case of any unclear or incorrect advertisement, you either post a correction at the door, or you honor what it says. Since your manager isn't professional enough to come address this issue, I'm not going to hold up these other people over $3.75. I believe the manager will have to leave his break early, because I doubt you personally have the authority to cancel this transaction." And then I just walked out of the store.

I know this wasn't a company policy problem, but a problem at one store. But, still, it's gross incompetence.

El Chuxter
05-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Circuit City did indeed lose their edge over Best Buy when they got rid of their knowledgeable associates. I never see anyone going over there any more. I know a guy who went to see if they were hiring, and he said that there was no manager on duty, and no one would talk to him.

(In all seriousness, I hope that some companies learn from this example; if you have employees who actually provide customer service, don't get rid of them as a cost-saving measure. I got some great deals when they went under, but I'd rather they were still around. Even if I never went there again, they'd give Best Buy some incentive to occasionally actually run sales. I used to love when those two stores would run ridiculous blowouts every so often to compete; now, no one competes with Best Buy at all.)

JimJamBonds
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
This article from the Washington Post shows that Circuit City has taken this to a new level. Long-term employees are just too pricy to be kept around, especially when you can fire them and bring in cheaper new-hires! The big question now is why anyone but the most uniformed would take a job with this company knowing full well that the longer you stay the less they need you.

The only thing cheaper then a part time employee is a no time employee.

p.s. Nice shovel work Chux!