PDA

View Full Version : The "Brilliance" of having McQuarrie Figures as C4 Exclusives

Tycho
04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
With the announcement of there being several Celebration 4 exclusive items in the Ralph McQuarrie Concept Figure lineup, I couldn't help but feel some anger well up inside me. Not because I want those figures and can't live without them, mind you, but because of how their very existence will create the worst sucker-bait in the history of the 3 3/4" part of the hobby.

R2D2, C-3PO, and Luke Skywalker are part of a collection that many (myself NOT included) are really enthusiastic for. In the past Jorg Sacul and Darth Vader were stand-alone pieces you could live without if you weren't suffering from the worst completist syndrome. Not so, this time around.

There remains hope that all 3 figures will be summer con exclusives, and turn up at Comic Con, Wizard Con, and on HasbroToyShop or ShopStarWars for a reasonable price and quantity purchased limit so everyone can get one. "Exclusive" and "Restrictive" are two different descriptions for a collectible with limited outlets. Also, there is a carded Luke Skywalker in the TAC lineup, and the possibility remains it is just this figure with a different card and coin.

Well, my estimate of how worthwhile it will be to scalp these figures, or eBay them, fortunately doesn't make it fair too well for the exploiters in the hobby. It'll be nearly $1,000 for the hotel for 5 nights (or less for a shorter stay) plus money for parking, food, admission - not to intentionally think of that last. Sure many scalpers live in LA, or even live in their cars probably. But these figures might only fetch as much as $150 maximum, if you judge them by way of the 1997 Special Edition Theater Luke - of which there were likely a vastly smaller quantity prepared (the first 50 in line at each participating theater got them). So a scalper might just break even - might. In the case of the McQuarrie figures, Hasbro has to make enough and sell enough to justify their creating the injection molds according to their business model (which explains why we don't have a Sailbarge whereas Pirates have the Black Pearl - so they say).

With the Fan Club Store being open 24 hours, these figures won't be that rare. Perhaps they'll only garner half that previous price guess on eBay and wind up being sold at Star Tours as well (OK - so not with the nifty special coin you can decorate your little play album with - re-read with heavy sarcasm please).

Myself? I'm fairly certain I will not attend C4 in spite of being a veteran of the past three Celebrations in Denver and Indianapolis. I'm just not feeling it this time. Perhaps since there's no movie, and the TV shows have progressed to almost nowhere. As to the figures? I'd open them and use them for diorama fillers in Mos Eisley, Coruscant, and Bespin. But maybe by the time I'm setting all that up in a few years or so, the price for these figures (especially someone selling them loose) will have taken a tremendous fall. But I'll pay $10 a piece for them this year. Any offerings?

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I would respond to this, but it's tough to do so and not use a lot of profanity.

:mad:

Ji'dai
04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Why couldn't they have selected some lame-*** figures no normal person would want? If they want to make an exclusive, how about a Rick McCallum Clone or Candy Striper Clone or any other ridiculous clone variation they haven't done yet?

I really dislike figure exclusives as a rule and the con exclusives are the worst. I've never been interested in attending these things anyway. I really want the McQ figures most of all so those tubesuckers at Hasbro better make sure these exclusives are available through other retail outlets at some point.

Kidhuman
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I would respond to this, but it's tough to do so and not use a lot of profanity.

Ditto my nitto

Snigtad Flornbi will reign supreme one day.

Jargo
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Ebay will be awash with these soon after the event. or events. coz they're available at the euro celebration too. wherever that is. then etailers will be selling them at three times the original cost.
then in a years time hasbro will re-release them on a standard card back as a legend. and then i a multi-pack of all the mcQuarrie concept figures. which will be an exclusive to EE or someone like that. probably star wars dot com. **

it's a nice idea but it's not worth getting steamed up about. I would be more steamed if the moisture vaporator had been included with these. or something of that nature.

**cynicism only. not actual fact.

stillakid
04-11-2007, 03:13 PM
it's a nice idea but it's not worth getting steamed up about. I would be more steamed if the moisture vaporator had been included with these. or something of that nature.

Ironically, if the moisture vaporator was included, it would take care of that steam.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm going to CIV and would've gotten these figures anyway . . . frankly I'm glad that these are all-new sculpts, since it makes them more interesting than many of the past convention exclusives, and more people will want them. I really don't think they will be that hard to find after the fact, though.

2-1B
04-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Why couldn't they have selected some lame-*** figures no normal person would want? If they want to make an exclusive, how about a Rick McCallum Clone

I would want a McCallum figure. And I'm normal.

Right?

DarkArtist
04-11-2007, 07:13 PM
i hate exclusives all together. I will really be ****ed off if Hasbro does not give people a chance to order these online. i mean not everyone is going to these conventions.

stillakid
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I would want a McCallum figure. And I'm normal.

Right?

I think he would qualify as a "Beast" assortment figure, not unlike the way Jabba the Hutt was packaged.

2-1B
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Rick is a sexy beast, so I know what you mean.

stillakid
04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Rick is a sexy beast, so I know what you mean.

Will he come with a can o' slime?

2-1B
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
He will definitely be oozy.

El Chuxter
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Oozy like a Sunday mornin'?

jjreason
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I strongly suspect these figures will be available on another card, with another coin, this year. But we'll have to wait and see, won't we?

plasticfetish
04-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Honestly, I think this is a brilliant idea for a convention exclusive, and it has nothing to do with my being there to buy them or not. (At this point, I have no idea if I'm going to make it for sure. I'm trying, but I'm still working out the details.)

For you guys to whine about the concept, just because you aren't going to be there, is just a little... I dunno... selfish? :whip:

Tycho
04-12-2007, 07:21 AM
UPDATE: Rebelscum reported yesterday that the Luke figure is being released in the regular TAC Wave 5, but with a different coin. There will be a C4 exclusive coin and a Europe Celebration coin. That was somewhat predictable.

You can get this figure 2 months early (in May rather than July) by buying it at C4, as well. :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
04-12-2007, 08:25 AM

Ditto! :upset:

bigbarada
04-12-2007, 09:01 AM
The fact that these appear to be all-new figures using all-new molds pretty much guarantees that Hasbro will try to sell them as regular assortment figures at some point.

Mold making for an action figure is an expensive process and I doubt, even with the most optimistic attendance estimates, there will be enough people at C4 for Hasbro to make their money back. So they'll need to sell these later on at some point in order to turn a profit.

Of course, they didn't do it with previous exclusives, but that was because those were all made from existing molds.

So, unless you are a carded or coin completist, then there's nothing to worry about.

El Chuxter
04-12-2007, 09:09 AM
For you guys to whine about the concept, just because you aren't going to be there, is just a little... I dunno... selfish? :whip:

Previous exclusives have been cool, but nothing necessary.

In this case, they psyched us up for the McQuarrie figures for almost a year, then dropped the bombshell that any set would be incomplete with the C4 exclusive.

abell748
04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I hope that this is not a sign of things to also transpire at SDCC. :upset: The Cody minibust ****es me off enough without there being 1 or 2 more McQuarrie figures there too. I am going to CIV, but the whole concept of the exclusive figures being something that fits into the years figure line is just not right.

LTBasker
04-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm sure the meeting that this was all decided at was concluded by counting our souls while munching on first-born children and smoking the mary-wanna. :p

VidKidd
04-12-2007, 02:48 PM
i am going to CIV, it will be my first one actually, i am now into collecting more than ever, and didnt really realize about CIII till the week it was happening, and never knew there where 2 before that. i ended up buying the darth vader for, i believe about $30 with shipping, what sold me on it was the voice box it came with. :grin: what can i say it made the figure a unique piece in my collection, well minus the comm chip stuff. but does that really count?
--> i of course am glad with these exclusives. yes
#1 cause ill be there, and
#2 they're new molds. (And isnt that what everyone in every forum complains about, wanting new molds?)
#3 they look really really bad a**.
#4 its some great pieces to a great concept line of figures.

i know it sucks for those of you who arent going, i feel for you i really do, but youll be able to get these somewhere along the line im sure of it, look at last years SDCC exclusive, you can still buy it online, and hell with the way it looks, you can probably get it at this years SDCC as well:p

so i guess what im trying to say is with alot of people, no matter what Hasbro does, theyre screwed anyways cause some people get p****d and some people rejoice. can you blame them for wanting to make profit while having people be this way anyways no matter what they do.

JEDIpartner
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Well... when I was at CIII, I wasn't a pig about the purchases. I bought one Vader for myself and got the other three for people who needed them. It was the last I could do for a fellow collector. I had no plans to go online and put them up for sale. This just stinks, though.