PDA

View Full Version : Can this be right? No NHL Playoffs 2007 thread????

jjreason
04-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Huh? Okay, well how 'bout this one? :thumbsup:

In about 10 minutes the puck is going to drop on what I'm GUARANTEEING will be one of the best years of hockey playoffs ever!

Let's look at what are sure to be highlights:

1. Ottawa vs Pittsburgh in round one. My God, as if watching these teams play each other in the regular season wasn't pulse-pounding enough.... they'll be doing it sudden-death style starting tonight! Some of the best players on the planet populate these two teams - don'tcha dare miss it!!!

2. Buffalo is set to stampede. The city of Buffalo deserves a major pro sports championship more than any other US city - and I dare you to argue (right, LBC?). The Sabres are a serious contender - let's hope they get off to a good start against the Islanders... who happen to be coached by the Sabres long since deposed bench boss, Teddy Nolan. Interesting sidelines abound.

3. All 8 teams in the west will compete for a chance to play for the Stanley Cup. There is no weak link here, folks... the team that emerges from the Western brackets is sure to be exhausted after the battles they'll have to fight to get there. Can Detroit get through the first round? Can the Ducks get back to the Final Four???? My God....

4. Sorry, but there's no time for #4. Go find a TV, and get ready for playoff hockey!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
04-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't watch hockey, but I keep tabs on how the Canucks are doing since they are the nearest team. Maybe I'll watch some if they make the finals.

2-1B
04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Is it still on OLN ?

Mad Slanted Powers
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Is it still on OLN ?I believe it is called Versus now. Looks like they have some games. I live close to Canada so I could watch CBC instead.

2-1B
04-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I wish I lived closer to Canada. Good people, them Canadians.

Rogue II
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
NBC will show a couple games on the weekends. Versus (formerly OLN) will show 1 or 2 other nationally televised games per night. Local sports networks will also have games. I hear there are a bunch of ticked off Ottawa fans because the Pens-Sens game isn't going to be on Hockey Night in Canada because NBC wants it Sunday afternoon instead.

There are more sub-plots besides Teddy Nolan in the Sabres-Sabres game. Tim Connolly and Sabres GM Darcy Regier were both with the Islanders, not to mention NYI's Miroslav Satan didn't leave Buffalo on the greatest of terms.

Rocketboy
04-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Much like the regular season, I will more than likely miss 99% of the playoffs.
:cry:

Detroit Red Wings

Mad Slanted Powers
04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I wish I lived closer to Canada. Good people, them Canadians.They talk funny. What's that all aboat, eh?

jjreason
04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Ummmm....... it's the beer. :love:

Ottawa DOMINATED Sidney's Penquins tonight.... are they for real this year?

Slicker
04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm in that "Go Wings" camp as well.

They shouldn't have any trouble in the first round this year but we shall see...

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2007, 12:04 AM
They shouldn't have any trouble in the first round this year but we shall see...
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

As a native of Michigan and long-time Wings fan, you should no better than to assume a first round victory for Detroit!:mad:

I'm really excited about the playoffs this year. Even more excited now that I have CBC (watching Vancouver/Dallas right now:pleased: ) and that Charter didn't pull the plug on VS. like they announced. It was supposed to be replaced with something else on April 2nd, but I've still got it.

I have alot more to add, but I'm tired. I'll do it tomorrow.

figrin bran
04-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Ducks take Game 1! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
04-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Anyone want to by my book, "How to Smuggle Octopus into Hockey Arenas"?
SSGers get a 10% discount! ;)

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Man, was that ever a game between Dallas and Vancouver!!! I decided to go to sleep in the middle of the first OT. When I saw the score this morning and how looooong the game went, I was never so glad that I opted to miss the conclusion of a game!

mabudonicus
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Hmmmm... I thought the playoffs were cancelled this year, something about lack of interest....??
:beard:Iso & Baws

Captainsolo1138 likes to display a Red Wings avatar a lot during the NHL season, AND during playoffs.

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Sadly, Todd Bertuzzi and Henrick Zetterberg aren't ready for their return to the lineup yet. They were both expected back for game one, but now its questionable whether Zetterberg will even play in the first round.:(

Being a Leafs fan, mabudon had no idea what the "President's Cup" was.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Man, was that ever a game between Dallas and Vancouver!!! I decided to go to sleep in the middle of the first OT. When I saw the score this morning and how looooong the game went, I was never so glad that I opted to miss the conclusion of a game!Indeed. I saw a little bit of the game, but turned it off to watch Lost. I flipped back afterwards and saw commercials and figured it must be over. Then I checked online to see the final score, and it was still on. So I watched a few minutes, but it was after 11:30 and 7 minutes left in the 3rd OT. Nearly four full OT's before it was done.

TeeEye7
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
....and how about Luongo's 72 saves? :eek:

Rogue II
04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
I watched a lot of the game, but I went to bed around midnight (west coast).

Speaking of marathon games, I went to the Caps/Islanders game in 1987. Well, we left during the 2nd overtime and watched the rest when we got home.

Rocketboy
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Speaking of marathon games, I went to the Caps/Islanders game in 1987. Well, we left during the 2nd overtime and watched the rest when we got home.The first rule of playoff hockey: Nobody goes home until the game is over!!!

Rogue II
04-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I was almost 14 and it was a school night. Besides, I'm not a Caps or Isles fan. It was actually an early birthday present to me. We had seats about 30 rows up behind one of the nets.

Edit: Is anyone else playing the Quest for the Cup game on the nhl website? I can send you a link if you want it.

CaptainSolo1138
04-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Edit: Is anyone else playing the Quest for the Cup game on the nhl website? I can send you a link if you want it.Your mentioning it reminded me of it so I started. My screen name there is (surprise!) CaptainSolo if you need to trade or anything.

jjreason
04-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Haven't played it, but I'll check it out.

Man, I was worried about game 1 when I saw how hot Kiprussoff was playing in the first - but all I had to do was walk away from the game for about 5 minutes and they'd score 2 goals. :D

CaptainSolo1138
04-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Haven't played it, but I'll check it out.

Man, I was worried about game 1 when I saw how hot Kiprussoff was playing in the first - but all I had to do was walk away from the game for about 5 minutes and they'd score 2 goals. :DI missed the first two goals as well! Kipper made some AWESOME saves, but not nearly enough of them. Detroit looked fantastic last night, but I hope they saved enough in the gas tank for three more wins.

jjreason
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Me too. We forget entirely too soon that it was these same Flames that put us out in 6 games only 2 years ago. They need to crank it up again this afternoon.

Seriously though - how good has Ottawa/Pittsburgh been??????? :thumbsup: Game 3 goes tonight.....

DiPietro and the Isles - he stole one last night, but is there enough there to honestly contend for this series?

Rocketboy
04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Me too. We forget entirely too soon that it was these same Flames that put us out in 6 games only 2 years ago. They need to crank it up again this afternoon. Wasn't it three years ago? Or did you mean (because of the lockout) two seasons ago?

Seriously though - how good has Ottawa/Pittsburgh been??????? :thumbsup: Game 3 goes tonight.....I saw the end of the game yesterday. Wow, what an ending! And for some reason people think basketball is exciting...

jjreason
04-15-2007, 12:13 PM
You're right - 3 years/2 seasons ago it was. It still hurts like it was yesterday though. :(

Damn Flames. ;)

Rocketboy
04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I totally just pwn3d a Canadian on hockey.
;)

jjreason
04-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh screw off, you're as Canadian as I am if you're from the Mitten. lol

And CS - I'm on Quest For the Cup as jjreason, already put in for a trade with some other yokel that had Lacavalier. :cool:

jjreason
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'm that double postin' sonuva:bandit: . WINGS WIN!!!

Cappy, I've started a group called SSG over at the Quest for the Cup. If you (or anyone else) wants in, PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite.

I honestly have no idea what benefits a group has, though..... :sleeping:

Rogue II
04-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Calgary barely even showed up. They spent the first half of the first period in the penalty box. And how do you get out shot 15-51?

pbarnard
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Calgary barely even showed up. They spent the first half of the first period in the penalty box. And how do you get out shot 15-51?

Easy, because since the lockout the NHL has put an emphasis on skill and skating, just like it was when there were just 6 teams. Highly skilled and graceful skaters beat trying to tie things up, slow it down every time. Also, the European players stopped being "soft" some time ago, so now when they get hit, they don't fall down and stop, they get back up and just try harder.

jjreason
04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I agree that the "new" rules have something to do with it. We would have MURDERED Calgary in the semis a couple of seasons ago if it weren't for the clutch and grab. I was skeptical about calling everything at first, but the last couple of seasons have been excellent.

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks for creating the group, jj. I joined up. From what I've read on other message boards, only 46 cards are available right now and when the Stanley Cup becomes available it'll be a "super rare" type thing. Here's a list of TV codes. I'm not sure if they'll work any more, but they're worth a try: nhl, bench, roughing, slapshot, blueline, tripping, slashing, goal.

jjreason
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Man! Apparently they're only good until midnight EST on the date of broadcast - but that won't stop me from zipping on over there and trying them right now.

EDITED: Slashing got me 3000 coins today (April 16th)!!!!

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
They say that they only work for one day, but I've gotten several old ones to work.

"It's an older code, sir, but it checks out...":D

Rogue II
04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Easy, because since the lockout the NHL has put an emphasis on skill and skating, just like it was when there were just 6 teams. Highly skilled and graceful skaters beat trying to tie things up, slow it down every time. Also, the European players stopped being "soft" some time ago, so now when they get hit, they don't fall down and stop, they get back up and just try harder.

I understand the new rules. I'm a Sabres fan, and my team has benefited from the changes. The point of my question was more along the lines asking how a playoff team can just roll over and give up that many shots. Calgary wasn't very good on the road this year, but I still expected them to put up more of a fight. The Wings are flat out dominating them.

Rogue II
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
And tonight's QuestfortheCup word is Boarding

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks, RII. I'll be sure to do that in the morning. Did you join our group yet on there? I need one card to have all 46 available right now (the '62-'67 Maple Leafs dynasty) and am hoping you have it since that slacker jj doesn't.:p

Start saving you coins because the next wave of cards comes out at the beginning of the semi-finals.

Rogue II
04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
What's the group name? My screen name is Stumpy. I have all 46. It was a pain in the butt finding that Vinny Lecaviler. I have a friend named "TheGrin" who might have some cards to trade.

CaptainSolo1138
04-17-2007, 12:03 AM
It is simply named SSG.

DarthQuack
04-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Nice win by the Sharks tonight...hoping the Rangers can follow suit later on today...

CaptainSolo1138
04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Through trial and error I figured out that todays Quest for the Cup TV code is icing.:thumbsup:

jjreason
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I have 41 with 5 trades pending - not bad for 3 days work. :cool:

TheGrin and Stumpy have been invited. :alsocool:

Sitting on 3675 coins as well, for when the new cards hit. Hopefully I can have about 10,000 by then so I can get them all in the packs.

What are we getting for doing all this, by the way (other than awesome e-hockey cards!!!!)?

Rogue II
04-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Tonite's code was "Crease"

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2007, 07:39 AM
What are we getting for doing all this, by the way (other than awesome e-hockey cards!!!!)?
Grand prize (1) is a trip for two to England to see the season opener being played next year between the L.A. Kings and Anaheim Ducks. First prize (10) is a jersey signed by the current player of your choice. Second prize (20?) is a $100 USD gift card to NHL.com.

Tonite's code was "Crease"Rock! Thanks, RII. I'll spend those 3,000 coins with you in mind.:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I finally get to watch a game, and flippin' Red Wings lose!
:frus:

jjreason
04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, that blows. I went to bed at the end of the first, about 6 minutes after Iginla must have dented the post with a wicked shot that beat Hasek. The Flames were looking fired up, no doubt about it. Hopefully we can demoralize them in game 4, so they roll over back in Hockeytown.

Still no replies on my bloody trades over there, I'm getting impatient. :mad:
For the record, I'm missing the following:

Vezina Trophy
Joe Sakic
Joe Thornton
Danny Heatley
Scott Niedermayer

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Unless you've got the aforementioned dynasty I need, I can't trade with you.

DarthQuack
04-19-2007, 12:24 PM
The Rangers look amazing....I just worry about the layoff they're gonna have until they play again.

jjreason
04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm hung here. I don't know if I should buy a specific number of packs, and then build coins again until the second round starts, or if I should just hang on and wait for trades....

Screw it, I'm going to go and buy 10 packs. That'll get me 30 cards, and hopefully at least 4 of the 5 I need. I'll report back.

Dammit, I bought a bunch of new packs - got Sakic. I also got an extra Leafs dynasty card.... but it was the one from the 40s. :frus:

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the card, jj. Now I'm completely caught up on the current 46!

BTW, if I remebber correctly, hooking is today's TV code.

Rocketboy
04-20-2007, 12:27 AM
How are the Wings going to go and drop two in a row?

Seriously.

DarthQuack
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Calgary is awesome at home lol.

jjreason
04-20-2007, 06:10 PM
So are the Wings. Even if this goes 7 games, I like our chances. Too bad we'll be worn out heading into round two. :(

Holding worked for me today on the Quest For the Cup.

Rocketboy
04-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Calgary is awesome at home lol.Oh f*ck Calgary.

jjreason
04-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I remember how MAD I was when we lost to Calgary last time, I was jacked up about the 51/15 shot ratio in game 2 thinking we were just going to POUND them 4 straight. Then they had a 2 day lay off which seemed to take the wind out of us. They better get their jocks on straight for tomorrow night, or there'll be hell to pay. :frus:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, despite the 4-1 series loss to Oottawa, :rolleyes: the Penguins had a great season:

- about the same wins in ONE season as the last two COMBINED
- Crosby is THE star of the league now
- they get to stay in Pittsburgh for the future :thumbsup:

Good luck on winning the Cup, some other team! :tired:

Rogue II
04-20-2007, 10:59 PM
The Pens have nothing to be ashamed of. They weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year and with a couple off-season moves will be contenders for the next few years.

jjreason
04-21-2007, 08:59 AM
The Penguins are shaping up to be the next NHL dynasty, Bel Cam. Be very proud of that group - they had an AWESOME season. The experience they gained from making the playoffs this year was so important - now that the young guns have had a taste, they'll come to camp with a really bad itch to go further next year.

It happens to every great player - Gretzky had to lose to the Islanders, Michael Jordan had to lose to the Pistons, Stevie Y had to lose to New Jersey - all before they could win their respective Championships. I think the losing is what motivated all of those guys to dig a little deeper in successive years, and finally get what they all deserved.

Teams that have made it through to the second round now include Ottawa, Buffalo and the Rangers in the east (just waiting for NJ/TB to sort there mess out) and Anaheim and San Jose in the west (with Det/Cal and Dal/Van still playing).

Leave it to the Wings and Canucks to draw things out - even if they make the second round, I'm not sure I like their chances.

jjreason
04-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Sorry to double post, but elbowing just worked for me on Quest for the Cup (April 22nd). :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
04-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Game 7 Dallas @ Vancouver should be a good game tomorrow along with the game in Calgary....lol

jjreason
04-22-2007, 09:49 AM
God, Vancouver vs Dallas is awful to watch. Give me a good ol 6-3 hockey game any day of the week! Mike Babcock needs to hire a hypnotist for the Wings to try and convince them they're playing at the Joe tonight - I don't want to have to suffer through a game 7, even if it would be at home.

Rocketboy
04-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Wings Win!

Wings Win!

DarthQuack
04-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Damn it....

jjreason
04-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Wings/Sharks, game 1 at 730EST! Don't forget to tune in and root on those Red Wings!!!! :yes: :thumbsup: :yes: :thumbsup: :yes: :thumbsup:

pegger
04-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Go Sens... Go Sens.... It's your birthday,,,,

jjreason
04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Bah, they only scored 4 goals in the first...... :eek:

Buffalo/Ottawa anyone? Let's hope so.

DarthQuack
04-26-2007, 10:11 PM
duh duh.........duh duh.........SHARK ATTACK.

figrin bran
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Ducks take Game 1! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
04-27-2007, 07:36 AM
duh duh.........duh duh.........SHARK ATTACK.
And by "SHARK ATTACK" I'm assuming you mean "girlish style of play where they get ahead and proceed to dump the puck for the next forty minutes"?

Yeah, I'd be a proud Sharks fan, too.:rolleyes:

DarthQuack
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Come on buddy....You know me for being an ANTI-Red Wings fan......:)

jjreason
04-27-2007, 07:46 PM
We had lots of chances in the 2nd, Nabokov just played very well. The Wings are well into this series - they're not going to get pushed around (like they did in the 1st period tonight) any more.

Cappy - did you get all the new cards? I got them all pretty quickly, let me know if you need me to buy more for trading.

CaptainSolo1138
04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Cappy - did you get all the new cards? I got them all pretty quickly, let me know if you need me to buy more for trading.
Yes sir, I did. Thanks. I was surprised at how quick I got them as well. Only 15 more to go!

I really wish they put the scores on the leader board instead of just the name and card count so I can know how far behind I am.:mad:

jjreason
04-28-2007, 08:05 AM
I think there's a good reason for that, Cappy - I'll bet those guys somehow have about 400,000 points each, which would make all of us suckaz quit playing.

jjreason
04-28-2007, 06:09 PM
WINGS 3, Sharks 2 - Ahhh YEAH!!!! :thumbsup:

Back on even ground, and the momentum looks to have shifted significantly. Time to get rested and kick major ace back in San Jose.

DarthQuack
04-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Rangers need to get their asses in gear if they want to stay in this series....the Garden should be rocking today though.

jjreason
04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm fine if Buffalo blows them out today, to set it up for the sweep. If only Ottawa could have kept pace with an OT win last night.

DarthQuack
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Rangers are sick at home...thank you...

Sharks freaking blew it last night.....nice job letting Detroit back in the series.

jjreason
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Lang's goal seemed to come out of nowhere.... we pushed and pushed and couldn't score on numerous occasions (including the OT period, where we had them on the run nearly the whole time)... but finally it was there. Game 4 is THE pivotal game - there's no bigger difference in a series than 3-1 as opposed to 2-2.

I'm still disappointed they didn't call that Buffalo goal a goal - from the video that I saw, it was "conclusive" the puck was over the line, but their definition has to include being able to see white ice between the line and the puck.

Ottawa and the Ducks are pretty much a sinch at this point, it'll take a miracle for Van or NJ to come back from 3-1 down.

Try "elbowing" today on the Quest for the Cup, if you're having trouble...

CaptainSolo1138
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Sharks freaking blew it last night.....nice job letting Detroit back in the series.Meh. Holmstrom single-handedly put the Wings back in it.

I'm still disappointed they didn't call that Buffalo goal a goal - from the video that I saw, it was "conclusive" the puck was over the line, but their definition has to include being able to see white ice between the line and the puck.That was ri-damn-diculous and completely unacceptable in the playoffs. If I can sit on my couch at 6:00am and tell that it went past the goal line and THEN under Lundqvist's leg pad CONCLUSIVELY then there is a serious officiating problem. Anyone see HNIC last night? Don Cherry all but called out the refs, saying last night's Devils/Sens game was "the best called game of the playoffs so far, not that that's saying anything special, though."

jjreason
05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
He hasn't been impressed, that's for sure, and it's been coming up nearly every segment. The days of Andy Van Hellemond and Kerry Fraser are long since behind us. :(

figrin bran
05-04-2007, 02:35 AM
That was a fluke goal that Luongo gave up at the end but i'll take it! i guess he took his eyes off the puck for a split second.

considering he faced 63 shots on goal, that was one phenomenal game on his part.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I was at the last Sabres game versus the Rangers, that took place on Friday night (May 4th)

Buffalo dominated the game chancewise, and shotwise for the first two periods. By the 3rd period, you could see the legs of the team lose a step or two and the Rangers, who were outworked to that point, started to show signs of life. Yet neither team could put the puck in the net.

New York scored a goal that was disallowed (due to a Ranger's player making contact in the goal crease with Ryan Miller) with about 7 minutes left, which then gave Buffalo a power play. The Sabres could do nothing with it, and with about 3:30 left in the game, New York scored on a wrist shot from far out. You could hear the collective sighs of Sabres fans, fearing the prospect of going down 2-3 in the series, and having to watch their team pull out a victory at MSG, a tough building for any road team to win at. I've seen games like that all the time. A team comes out like gang busters, only to be stoned by a hot goalie. Then the other team gets one chance and buries it. It looked like that type of game.

But a little bit of magic happened. Chris Drury, cashed in a rebound in the dying seconds of the game and the HSBC Arena erupted. The pendulum swung in the Sabres direction, and many of us just knew that in overtime, the Sabres were going to win. In the first minute of OT, the Rangers drew a penalty and received a Power Play. We knew it would be killed off, and it was rather easily. Just minutes later, the Sabres received a Power Play as well, and this time, the speedy Max Afinegenov, who had been been scratched a game earlier, scored the winner.

I had never personally been to a game as exciting as that one, Friday night.
I hope the Sabres can close it out this afternoon in the Garden. If not, they have to get the job done at home on Tuesday.

In other NHL news:

Yeah for Dominick Hasek. Who would have thought a 42 year old goaltender could get the job done, this far into the playoffs. Good for Detroit, and if the Dom managed to win the Cup this year, he will go down as the greatest goaltender in NHL history, IMO.

The Ducks looks scary. They have the right mix of everything, from physiciality, to scoring, to defense and goaltending. Whoever makes it out of the DET/SJ series, will have a heck of a time, versus them.

The Senators are the team to beat in the East. Don't let the Sabres number one record fool you. This Ottawa team is no longer composed of the chokers they once were, that got bounced out of the playoffs early, year after year. They made light work on NJ, and will get some rest and wait for whomever they have to face in the East.

jjreason
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Buffalo vs. Ottawa is going to be awesome! If Detroit can somehow close out SJ, I'll be happy with whoever of those 4 teams wins the cup (with a strong preference toward the Wings of course!!!).

pegger
05-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Copy that jj - Buffalo vs Ottawa will be awesome. I'm really pulling for Ottawa tho - they have been playing great...

TeeEye7
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
First octopus, now sharks on the ice. When the chips and tartar sauce start to fly, count me in! :thumbsup:

(....what to wash it down with, tho.....domestic or Canadian.....?) ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Buffalo vs. Ottawa is going to be awesome! If Detroit can somehow close out SJ, I'll be happy with whoever of those 4 teams wins the cup (with a strong preference toward the Wings of course!!!).

If the Wings somehow lose to the Sharks, it would mean that a first time Cup will be awarded to one of the four remaining franchises (unless you count Ottawa's stint in the 1920's).

If the Wings do win it, I won't feel bad at all, because some old vets like Schneider, Chelios, Hasek and Draper can get to hoist the Cup one more time. I'd rather they share the wealth though.

TeeEye7
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
It's 8:36 pm PDT and no report from Cappy? Must be celebrating still :D

Rocketboy
05-07-2007, 11:57 PM
When I talked to him, he was "not" watching the game.
I'm sure we'll hear from him in the morning.

And we're half way to that beautiful Cup.

jjreason
05-08-2007, 12:45 AM
So it's set then. Ducks v Wings, Ottawa v Buffalo. Man, just look at the scoring talent: Vanek, Briere, Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Alfredson, Heatley, Selanne, McDonald, etc, etc, etc!!!!! There will be NO shortage of scoring chances in these semi-finals!!! :thumbsup:

In Quest for the Cup news, I just went and bought a crap load of cards (had over 60,000 coins just sitting there) and it really boosted my score. I saved 30,000 coins to try and get all the new cards when they come out, hopefully that will be enough.

CaptainSolo1138
05-10-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm really glad that they put up different videos. I was getting sick of Joe Thornton and his toast.:D

Also, I added a blog on Myspace with my playoff opinions. Read it. Love it.

jjreason
05-10-2007, 04:45 PM
9 new cards out today on Quest for the Cup. I blew all my coins (!!!), and am now missing only Martin Brodeur. I have pretty much every other card as an extra - but I put out a trade for Brodeur. If anyone winds up needing anything and gets an extra Brodeur - let me know quick and I'll cancel the pending trade.

CaptainSolo1138
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
The good news: I've got three extra Brodeurs.

The bad news: I've got all the new cards and can't trade. Sorry, partner.:(

The current card max is 59. Also, either "puck" or "net" worked for the TV code.

DarthQuack
05-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Good season for the Rangers, wish they could have gone a little farther, but what can you do?

jjreason
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
The good news: I've got three extra Brodeurs.

The bad news: I've got all the new cards and can't trade. Sorry, partner.:(

The current card max is 59. Also, either "puck" or "net" worked for the TV code.

Gah!!! You're killing me here!!! :D Hopefully some other numpty can get it done for me.

EDITED: Copped it in a trade (I threw about 10 offers out there, it took about 2 hrs). All caught up and ready to play, coach!!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Buffalo has their backs to the wall after dropping the first two games of the Eastern Conference Series at home. Ottawa is one tough team and one that is determined to shed the playoff failures of the past. Buffalo always plays well with their backs against the wall. We'll see what they can do.

figrin bran
05-14-2007, 03:06 AM
Another game winner for Niedermeyer! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
05-14-2007, 07:20 AM
That game was a killer last night. It was pretty even throughout, though, so I can't say the Ducks didn't earn it.

figrin bran
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Cap, it's probably going to be tightly contested like that for the entire series.

unfortunately i don't have the Versus channel so i haven't been able to watch any of the games.

CaptainSolo1138
05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Cap, it's probably going to be tightly contested like that for the entire series.Sadly, you're right. I have the Wings in six but would not be surprised to see it go to seven.

unfortunately i don't have the Versus channel so i haven't been able to watch any of the games.I do. Feel like making the trip to Michigan?:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
:cry: Perhaps the greatest regular season in Buffalo's team history is going down worse than the Hindenburg. :upset:

TeeEye7
05-14-2007, 11:13 PM
I feel you pain, LBC. I hate one-sided series like this has become. I don't know why Buffalo can't generate any offense. Miller's done a good job in the net to somewhat keep a lid on things, but it means nothing if the puck isn't being stuck in the other guy's net.

History doesn't favor Buffalo's chances, I'm afraid.

CaptainSolo1138
05-15-2007, 07:24 AM
:cry: Perhaps the greatest regular season in Buffalo's team history is going down worse than the Hindenburg. :upset:
Seriously, watching that game last night I felt bad for you and RII. Being from Michigan, I can certainly sympathize with fans who's President's Trophy winning team failed to come through in the playoffs.

mabudonicus
05-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, Ottawa has their stones in a vice right now- it could turn around but I have a feeling that Buffalo probably only has one win in 'em, which means that the crushing end of the season will occur in front of their home audience, always a sad thing. I realy do like both teams tho (I hate the Sens as long as the Leafs exist, which is why I'd be okay with them winning this year, so long as Toronto is in the running I wish Ottawa nothing but bad luck ;)) so it is unfortunate that Ottawa is just crushing them, a 7 game series would have been pretty fun. The penalties really seems to slow Buffalo down last night, and frankly a couple of the ones I saw called were pretty questionable, can't have sloppy officiating at this crucial juncture eh ??
:beard: Iso & Baws

A few folks here are pullin for Detroit

CaptainSolo1138
05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
so long as Toronto is in the running I wish Ottawa nothing but bad luck ;))So what you're saying is that you're a full-time Sens fan? ooooooh burn i got u gud u bich

The penalties really seems to slow Buffalo down last night, and frankly a couple of the ones I saw called were pretty questionable, can't have sloppy officiating at this crucial juncture eh ??The officiating has run the gamut from spotty to strict the entire season and has gotten even more wonky in the playoffs. The refs are getting way too crazy with the delay of game calls. Twice now there have been instances of deflections going over the glass that have been called. Also, does anyone else remember when you could actually make contact with another player?! It's like the goddamn NBA now.:rolleyes:

The Toronto Make Beliefs have had Carl's "stones in a vice" since 1967.

TeeEye7
05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=CaptainSolo1138;548564 Also, does anyone else remember when you could actually make contact with another player?! It's like the goddamn NBA now.:rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

That's why it's more fun watching our local ECHL team. These guys really want to move up, so they're much more motivated to play the way the sport was intended! :yes:

pegger
05-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I hate the Sens as long as the Leafs exist, which is why I'd be okay with them winning this year, so long as Toronto is in the running I wish Ottawa nothing but bad luck ;)

Mabs - Toronto sucks.... :whip: Go Sens!!!

Hopin for a sweep...Buffalo just can't get their offense going... (Sorry LBC)

Miller did have some fantastic saves last night. Can't be blaming him.

CaptainSolo1138
05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
so they're much more motivated to play the way the sport was intended! :yes:I'm not saying that they don't want to lay each other out. I'm saying that the "new NHL" benefits no one except the speedy, "finesse"-y Europeans.

jjreason
05-15-2007, 03:37 PM
The good news is this: guys who can actually check by skating (ie Draper and Maltby) are finally going to have to be paid more - those guys sweat buckets out there working so hard.... but get paid less than superstars because of their offensive output being lower than average.

I'm a fan of the new rules - there are still a good number of bone-jarring hits being thrown around, and at full speed now because guys can't hook and hold so much. They're going to have to lose the tag-up icing though, for the same reason - defence partners aren't allowed to slow down the other teams' wingers anymore, so their buddies are getting planted back there digging the pucks out of the corners.

CaptainSolo1138
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Oh. We only came for the nachos...

DarthQuack
05-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't seem to get into this round with Ottawa just cleaning house, I haven't seen really any of the Ducks/Wings series, but I'll try to catch up tonight.

mabudonicus
05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Pegger- someday soon we'll have to discuss it face to face :D (seriously tho, how the heck have we managed to NEVER hook up?)

And as for the Detroit thing, I have a feeling it Mebeducks

But that's just me :D

Oh and JJ I can't recall how much we got into it, but I agree with you totally, for all the complaints about the "new NHL", I really think the game as a whole is moving forwards. You wanna see Roid-bound muscle-heads pile up on top of each other, why not wait for Football season?? No-one ever complains about how say major league baseball is "too sissy" eh?? There no checking at ALL in baseball but you don't hear any gripes

(channeling a more benevolent version of Don Cherry, this has been 'Ducks himself)
Mabs is kinda bitter due to the fact that his team sucked rocks this season

pegger
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
seriously tho, how the heck have we managed to NEVER hook up?

Because we're both married and straight?

Seriously tho, we do need to get together for a beverage...perhaps during the finals you, me, jj and any other close by canucks (or yanks) can meet somewhere and cheer for the Sens??

jjreason
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Mebeducks indeed..... if the Wings don't at least split these 2 in Anaheim.

And since we need a huge win, they might as well make it tonight.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

DarthQuack
05-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Get Giggy with it :)

CaptainSolo1138
05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Get Giggy with it :)
Yeah, Giggy was stellar last night! He warmed that bench with a flair not seen since Patrick Lalime! ;)

I'm not sure Detroit could've dominated that game any more last night. Hell, Anaheim only managed two SOG in the second. Further, it seemed Detroit was on a power play more often than not. Holmstrom should have never came back into the game since it was already in hand. Had he missed it due to the cheap shot he got from that useless POS "goon" Pronger (I use the word goon in the literal sense, not the hockey sense where it can be a positive), Pronger would have more than likely been suspended for tomorrow night's game. But thankfully Detroit, especially Holmstrom, are classier than I am.

Even if Detroit loses Thursday night I can't be mad at them. A split is all I wanted out of the roadie.

*EDIT* I was looking up today's TV code when I came across this disappointing stat: The leaders on the Quest for the Cup leader board have no fewer than 565,000 points. :(

Rocketboy
05-16-2007, 06:04 PM
And since we need a huge win, they might as well make it tonight. Good call there jj.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Seriously, watching that game last night I felt bad for you and RII. Being from Michigan, I can certainly sympathize with fans who's President's Trophy winning team failed to come through in the playoffs.

Thanks for the sympathy, however, I am sure the three Cups the last decade eases the pain, ever so slightly.

Buffalo has too much skill and not enough heart. Too many fancy-passers who would rather try to make the blind pass or spin-o-rama instead of making a hit or getting their hands dirty along the boards. The success in the new NHL I guess isn't different from the old NHL.

While I am not giving up yet on my team, I would want Detroit to win it all. If they do, then Dominik Hasek will go down as the greatest goaltender in the game, bar none. At 42 years old, to perform the way he has been able to (granted Detroit's defense helps) is nothing short of amazing, for such a pivotal position in the game.

But don't discount Anaheim yet, they were built as a playoff team and yesterday's game could just be a hiccup for them.

pegger
05-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey - LBC - good game tonight. Buffalo played with a lot of heart.

figrin bran
05-16-2007, 10:55 PM
darnit, another sports team that i've cursed...

a few days ago, i won a chris kunitz autographed card via auction. then he breaks his right hand and has to have surgery...without him in the lineup, the Ducks totally lose their hands, especially Pronger who gets suspended for the next game.

CaptainSolo1138
05-17-2007, 07:28 AM
especially Pronger who gets suspended for the next game.Its only fair, considering Tomas Holmstrom lost half of his forehead.

The Sabres played a hell of a game last night. I had a gut feeling, however, that Ottawa would score when Emery was pulled. I was wrong, but I had an odd feeling that last night was it. Way to take it home, Sabres!

figrin bran
05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Not saying that he shouldn't merit the suspension but Pronger wasn't even penalized during the game for that hit...

Rogue II
05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
The refs blew the call and gave Neidermeyer a 5 minute major and a game misconduct instead of Pronger. They can't use instant replay to make penalty calls. Anyway, this isn't the first time the league handed out a suspension without a penalty being called.

Kind of funny how it was the Ducks' GM that proposed changing to instigator rule to help get rid of cheap shots like that.

jjreason
05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
It all worked out in the wash - the right amount of penalties and suspensions were metted out by the refs & league. Now, to take advantage of the situation...

Rogue II
05-18-2007, 12:23 AM
How true. :)

pegger
05-19-2007, 05:31 PM
WOO HOO!!!!

Well spank my behind and call me Rhonda - OTTAWA WINS!!!!!

Come Detroit or Anahiem - come and get your butts whooped!

sorry LBC...good series tho...

DarthQuack
05-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Definitely rooting for Ottawa to win the Cup, give Canada something to be happy about :)

mabudonicus
05-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Yep, GO SENS GO.
Then next year the Cup only has a little stretch of highway to cover before getting to where it truly belongs :D
JJreason is a Detroit Red Wings fan

Rocketboy
05-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Yep, GO SENS GO.
Then next year the Cup only has a little stretch of highway to cover before getting to where it truly belongs :D
:beard: Iso & BawsFrom Detroit to where?
Maybe they can swing by Toronto so the Leafs can see it...

jjreason
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
RB - I'm scared to even ask what your avatar is....

Congrats to LBC and the Sabres on an AWESOME season. With any luck they'll take that next step or two next year and pay off the amazing Buffalo sports fans for all their dedication.

As for the Sens, they and their fans have been waiting seemingly forever as well (the Alfredson era, anyhow) for their constantly-great team to get to this point - I wish them well in the finals.

Now, it's up to the Wings to make up for missing the boat in game 5 by coming up HUGE at home today. I'm already feeling stressed out, and it's still 2.5hrs until the puck drops. :(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Congratulations to the Senators. They changed their style of play after last year to become more team tough, physical--a style more prone to playoff hockey. Ottawa will represent the East well.

Unfortunately, Buffalo's style is not suited for playoff hockey. They had a better team last year, even though they won the President's Trophy this year. Skill is great to have, but heart, toughness, and grit cannot be discounted this time of year. Next year the team's management should have that in mind as they cut loose a few skilled players.

Out West, the Red Wings played a dominant game today but fell behind in their series 3 games to 2. A last minute goal by Anaheim sent the game to overtime and Selanne made the most of a giveaway by the Wings, to win it in OT. Anaheim has the momentum going into Game 6 but Detroit can take comfort in the fact that they were the better team today.

Rocketboy
05-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Anaheim has the momentum going into Game 6 but Detroit can take comfort in the fact that they were the better team today.And Anaheim can thank a downright embarrassingly bad call by the refs (from what I hear - didn't see most of the game).

Slicker
05-20-2007, 11:43 PM
The Wings had better not blow it again. It seems to get old every season.

TeeEye7
05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Ducks may have momentum, but that can change by the minute. Look how many stupid penalties they pulled on themselves today. They were just lucky that the Wings didn't have it together to capitalize on it as they normally do.

Being a Californian, I'm leaning towards the Ducks, but I think the Wings can take them, even on their home ice. The Wings haven't been in the playoffs sixteen years straight for nothing! (Yes, I'm also a closet Wings fan!).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-21-2007, 12:09 AM
And Anaheim can thank a downright embarrassingly bad call by the refs (from what I hear - didn't see most of the game).

I dunno. It was a penalty, but one that you call late in the game? I guess so. A penalty is a penalty regardless of when it happens.

Detroit certainly had their powerplay chances and you felt that inevitably the Ducks were going to get their break, cash in on it, and they did.

CaptainSolo1138
05-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Sunday's game 5 made me sick. Detroit totally outplayed Anaheim in every way, shape and form. For the tying goal to be scored with 45 seconds left on a six-on-four off of Nick Lidstrom's stick after Detroit missed an empty netter made me want to throw up.

What really makes me sick, though, is the "announcers" employed by NBC. Not only do they give unjust credit (i.e. "Giguere has dominated this game and outplayed Hasek" was spoken at least once while Detroit led 1-0), but they plain outright lie and make reasons to suck Anaheim's c**k just a little more. During all of the subsequent replays of Selanne's game winner (which, admittedly, was a great goal) they couldn't say enough how great the "steal" by Selanne was. If anyone with half a brain saw the game or watched the replay, they'd see that Andres Lilja simply lost his handle on the puck and over shot it with his stick. Thus, it was a blatant turnover, not a "great steal".

jjreason
05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
It's game 1 all over again, except this time their goalie stole one for them. It happens. I was watching but playing with my son at the same time - did the Wings not hit the post with the net empty before Anaheim tied it?

It's those types of things that make me wish I didn't care about sports. :upset:

CaptainSolo1138
05-21-2007, 08:33 AM
did the Wings not hit the post with the net empty before Anaheim tied it? Indeed they did. I kind of laughed it off at first when they were up by a goal, but after Anal-heim tied it, I was no longer laughing.

Rocketboy
05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
ummm, yeah...
:frus:

go sens.

figrin bran
05-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks for a great series Red Wings!

i've been wanting to post the last few days but didn't for fear of jinxing the Ducks.

jjreason
05-23-2007, 05:07 AM
I hate losing, but the Ducks were better in 4 of the games and that's what counts. Should be a good final series.

CaptainSolo1138
05-23-2007, 07:53 AM
*Sigh*

Another year, another streaky goalie knocking out a more deserving team (see also Evgeni Nabokov, Mikka Kipprusoff, Dwayne Roloson). I usually go on an opinion based rant about the POS goalie who is so "great" for knocking off the mighty Wings, but this year I'll use little things called stats to prove my point.

Regular Season Totals

Games played:
Gigure: 56
Hasek: 56
"They're tied, Cappy. What's the point?" is probably what you're saying. The difference is Hasek is 87 years old and would rest every seven games or so, giving backups Chris Osgood and Joey McDonald the start. Does anyone else remember that Gigure was benched for almost the first quarter of the season for being so inconsistent? I guess not, because no one else seems to remember Ilya Bryzgalov starting almost 30 games this year for that reason either.

Wins:
Gigure: 36
Hasek: 38
While its only a two win difference my point still stands: For people to deserve the praise that Gigure gets, they should be head and shoulders above the competition. If you really want to talk about "great" goal keepers, look at Brodeur's 48 wins. But silly Martin and his consistency don't get half the play Gigure does because its not nearly as trendy.

Losses:
Gigure: 10
Hasek: 11
See comments on "wins".

Goals allowed:
Gigure: 122
Hasek: 114
See comments on "wins".

Goals against average:
Gigure: 2.26
Hasek: 2.05
The product of a superior defense, even though you'd never know Detroit's D was better than Anaheim's if you limited your hockey intake to the jack offs who "announce" the games on VS.

Shots allowed:
Gigure:1490
Hasek:1309
Its the goalie's job to stop these shots, but its the defense's job to see to it that they don't get there in the first place. With a difference of 181 shots, its clear to see why Chris Pronger is the greatest defenseman ever.:rolleyes:

Saves:
Gigure: 1368
Hasek: 1195
This is relative to shots allowed. Of course Gigure has more saves because his sieve-like defense couldn't keep pucks out of the zone.

Save %:
Gigure: .918
Hasek: .913
Also relative to shots allowed. The more you face, the more you save.

Shutouts:
Gigure: 4
Hasek: 8
Other eople with more shutouts than Gigure: Niklas Backstrom, Manny Legace, Rick DiPietro, Chris Mason. Way to go, Gigs.

I won't bother posting playoff stats, since I'm pretty sure that you've all come to the same conclusion that Gigs has, for the most part, better stats. I guess what ticks me off most about the whole thing is that everyone seems to forget about game 3 when Gigure was pulled after letting in three quick goals. It was by no means the end of the world, but it never even gets mentioned! I mean, its pretty hard for the VS. crew to say too much, what with JS's johnson so firmly planted in their mouths, but after that game it was never even brought up again. Odd.

Another rant I want to touch on is how much I despise expansion teams, namely those who came in in the class of '91 (San Jose). They are mediocre for the most part and cheapen the sport. Hockey does not belong south or west of St. Louis. These teams lock away huge stars as simply a revenue tool to fill the seats with people who boo when he doesn't score a goal. I could post for days about it, but will stop at that.[/rant]

Go Sens!

pegger
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
GO SENS!!!!:thumbsup:

pbarnard
05-23-2007, 10:15 AM
No Detroit, no Original 6 team, that leaves only "natural" hockey markets to cheer for...that means Ottawa. Go win your first Cup since you won the first Cup.

pegger
05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
No Detroit, no Original 6 team, that leaves only "natural" hockey markets to cheer for...that means Ottawa. Go win your first Cup since you won the first Cup.

Just as an interesting fact - the Ottawa Senators last won the cup in 1927.

They also won it in:

1923, 1921, 1920, 1911 and 1909...

Should be a good series tho. I'm going say Ottawa in 6.

figrin bran
05-23-2007, 12:22 PM
if you don't want people posting from "unnatural hockey markets", fine, you cold climate original 6 elitists! :p

CaptainSolo1138
05-23-2007, 12:47 PM
I was just telling mabudon this morning that the only California hockey team I have respect for is the L.A. Kings due to the fact that modern American hockey spawned from there after the Gretzky trade.

DarthQuack
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I just can't stand teams like that getting in the finals...I would have preferred Detroit as much as I'm not really a fan of them, they at least have some history....GO SENS!!!

mabudonicus
05-23-2007, 05:59 PM
You don't even respect the Golden Seals, Cappy??
They were okay I guess.
It's Caesars B-day today

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Both teams have their strengths and it is rare to see two top teams make it to the Finals (it always seems that at least one of the teams is an underdog/Cinderella).

Anaheim has the edge in goaltending, and coaching (although Murray has had a good playoff run).

Ottawa has more top heavy talent with the Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza line, as well as role players (like Fisher, Vermette, and Meszaros) and both teams have their fair complement of muckers and grinders.

Should be a good one either way.

figrin bran
05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey Cap, it must be awfully nice to have that anti West and South soapbox to stand on and forget all about your own team's shortcomings.

choke again! BUT BUT we still have more history behind us and we throw octopi onto the ice and and :p

TeeEye7
05-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Cappy....is that you? Somehow you look different to me now......

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Hey Cap, it must be awfully nice to have that anti West and South soapbox to stand on and forget all about your own team's shortcomings.
With Detroit's season being over and no more pathetic powerplays to b**ch about, I have to complain about something!:p

Cappy....is that you? Somehow you look different to me now......I put on my helmet. Its from ebay.

Rocketboy
05-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey Cap, it must be awfully nice to have that anti West and South soapbox to stand on and forget all about your own team's shortcomings.Shortcomings? How may cups do the Ducks have?

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Shortcomings? How may cups do the Ducks have?
I was gonna go the same route and make mention that our franchise isn't based off of a mid-90's Disney movie aimed at tweens, but I decided to take the high road. Perhaps I should have rethought that, since making fun of the Ducks is waaaaaay more fun.

pbarnard
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I'd rather make fun of how no team in Anaheim seems to be able to choose a name and STICK TO IT. Course, is a team based off a Disney movie a joke, or the fact that people stopped getting the joke so they had to drop "Mighty" from the name?

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd rather make fun of how no team in Anaheim seems to be able to choose a name and STICK TO IT.What do you mean? "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" rolls off the tongue so much easier than "California Angels". :p

jjreason
05-24-2007, 05:16 PM

choke again! BUT BUT we still have more history behind us and we throw octopi onto the ice and and :p

And we've won 3 of the last 11 Stanley Cups.... choke again indeed. :shakes head:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-24-2007, 05:46 PM
And we've won 3 of the last 11 Stanley Cups.... choke again indeed. :shakes head:

Technically speaking, 3 Cups in the last 9 years, but who's counting? :grin:

'97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '06.

jjreason
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM
You're right - I was including 2007 as one they didn't win, and forgot there was no Cup awarded back in 2005. (Though I could argue that 2005 still counts as a "year", just not a season :p ).

TeeEye7
05-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I'd rather make fun of how no team in Anaheim seems to be able to choose a name and STICK TO IT. Course, is a team based off a Disney movie a joke, or the fact that people stopped getting the joke so they had to drop "Mighty" from the name?

It's our duty, no, birthright, to be wierd as Californians. It is incumbant upon us to maintain our state's motto: The Granola State! *bows head*

The Governator has so decreed! ;)

figrin bran
05-25-2007, 12:53 AM
It's our duty, no, birthright, to be wierd as Californians. It is incumbant upon us to maintain our state's motto: The Granola State! *bows head*

The Governator has so decreed! ;)

As proof of this i present to you exhibit A : our very own Tycho!

mabudonicus
05-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Since there's no other "current" Hockey thread and many of the interested parties are watching this thread...

What about the purchase of the Nashville Predators?? Any thoughts?? There are hints that IS it goes through, Ontario is gettin another team maybe- tho I'd almost rather see a new winnipeg (I'm sure someone else here would agree) team, but a team in Hamilton or maybe London would be pretty damn cool eh??
Chux is gonna go to SDCC

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Regardless of where it goes (even if it is on the west coast), I would love to see another Canadian hockey franchise.

pegger
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I honestly think that Kitchener/Waterloo Cambrdige MAY get the team if they move it.

Reasons:

1)Jim... :razz:

2) It's just outside the 100 KM exclusivity zone for both Buffalo AND Toronto.

3) The guy that's buying the team lives in Waterloo

4) Fasting growing area in the country

5) 1 hour from Toronto, Hamilton and London

6) All the high tech headquaters in this area

7) London is too far to draw Toronto or Hamilton fans (London is 2 hours away)

8) London sucks.

IMHO

jjreason
05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
It's being purchased by the guy who owns RIM (makers of the Crackberry) which is in Waterloo. If the team comes to Canada, it will likely be into the Tri-City area. In order for that to happen though, the buyer has already declared he's going to give it one more college try in Nashville.

The report I read suggests the following: because the previous Nashville owner tried damned near everything to get corporate sponsors on board, the NHL is less likely to create a million conditions for the sale, like they did when this same fella tried to buy the Penguins last year. If the sale goes through, and the Preds lose money again (which they will, even though they're a top-5 NHL franchise right now) - they'll be on the way to Kitchener/Waterloo.

The question is this: will JJ stay a Wings fan, or will the allure of having a team (potentially featuring Steve Sullivan and Peter Forsberg) in my own backyard create enough of a rift to sway me? :D

Oh, and as far as London sucking goes, Pegger - you're fired!!!! :p

pegger
05-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh, and as far as London sucking goes, Pegger - you're fired!!!! :p

I don't think I would want that job anyways... (Sucking London that is...)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Putting a team in London will confuse Americans. They'll think the team is in London, England.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Regardless of where it goes (even if it is on the west coast), I would love to see another Canadian hockey franchise.

It would be great to see a team in that area, unlike in a few warm weather franchises that don't embrace hockey. The NHL overexpanded in the late 1990's. The Minnesota franchise is the only success to this point. Columbus has tried their darndest, but no playoffs in 6 seasons is hurting them. Atlanta struggled at the gates for many years. The city, and especially the coroporate world of Nashville has not embraced their team.

Some people suggest Kansas City might get the franchise, because they have built a brand new arena, but hockey failed in that city once, and I don't much difference between them and Nashville as far as a fanbase. Move them to a city with more potential.

jjreason
05-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Southwestern Ontario could easily support another NHL team - London itself has approximately 400,000 people in the general area and KW is almost another 300,000. Hamilton is almost 400,000 by itself, so putting it there would work fine as well.

The thing about KW is that people from ALL of the above noted areas could be at the rink within an hour - and a lot of people from the west side of Toronto could be as well. Ticket sales would NOT be a problem.

mabudonicus
05-26-2007, 09:45 AM
F-ING KANSAS?!?!?!?
That's just ridiculous.

Almost as bad as London. MSP isright, it would be confusing, and London kinda does suck, JediElf is from there and doesn't go back too often :D

I brought this up years ago on these very boards. The team that is most worried about the relocation is Buffalo, and there've been some things happening currently that could make matters even worse for them, in some ways. The push for absolute "security" at the borders is probably going to hurt Buffalo a little bit- probably a LOT more than the earlier complaint about a second Ontario team drawing fans away (Leafs tickets are SO expensive and difficult to come by that most folks I know will cross into the US to see them VS the Sabres, again the "security" might strangle all the fun out of this prospect- no-ones gonna pick up and grab a passport on the way home on friday to catch a sunday game in Buffalo- I know a person could plan it out, but many folks I know make a lot more "spur of the moment" trips than they do actual full-out planned ventures there)

It really doesn't matter where the team goes, so long as it's in SW Ontario we're golden

Good dilemma, JJ, I know I bleed blue and white but the shiny alure of another possible contender right in our backyard (one where I could maybe afford to score actual decent tickets to go and see) could be a difficult thing to resist.

And as for your placement of it, KW would make sense- I was thinking that but figured that I might confuse some folks here with the intricacies of the onion belt geography eh??
JJ and Mabs WILL see a game together someday on neutral ground

jjreason
05-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, Kansas - they built a state of the art rink to try and lure the league back into their city.

In fairness to KC, the NHL product is way, way different now than it was when they had their one-season chance (yep, only one season) at success back in the what, early 70s?

I'll do a google - but something tells me that was one of the many steps the Golden Seals made on their way across the country to NJ.... (Oakland, Kansas, Denver, NJ???).

EDITED: Not quite right. They were an expansion franchise and played 2 seasons, relocating to Cleveland. The Barons only played one season, then packed it in and merged with Atlanta and relocated to Calgary. The Seals moved to Denver, then to NJ.

pegger
05-26-2007, 10:13 AM
JJ and Mabs WILL see a game together someday on neutral ground

What am I? Chopped liver?:mad:

mabudonicus
05-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Them little attachment phrases are hard enough to think up as it is, Pegger, without having harsh criticism levelled at them- besides, YOU never sat smugly sipping beer and insincerely saying "ouch, must be hard buddy" while watching the last game of a Leafs playoffs run with me, whereas JJ has done so and I still haven't got over it... Neutral Ground between you (pegger) and I would be much easier to find I think ;)
Pegger is gonna be there too- and DarthBrandon AND Dialogus and any other Canucks I'm forgetting since I bet they all have this thread bookmarked as all good Canadians would :D

Rogue II
05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah, Kansas - they built a state of the art rink to try and lure the league back into their city.

In fairness to KC, the NHL product is way, way different now than it was when they had their one-season chance (yep, only one season) at success back in the what, early 70s?

I'll do a google - but something tells me that was one of the many steps the Golden Seals made on their way across the country to NJ.... (Oakland, Kansas, Denver, NJ???).

EDITED: Not quite right. They were an expansion franchise and played 2 seasons, relocating to Cleveland. The Barons only played one season, then packed it in and merged with Atlanta and relocated to Calgary. The Seals moved to Denver, then to NJ.

Oakland/California Seals became the Cleveland Barons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_%28NHL%29)(for 2 seasons), who merged with the Minnesota North Stars.

The Atlanta Flames moved to Calgary.

The Kansas City Scouts moved to Denver and became the Colorado Rockies, who moved to New Jersey and became the Devils.

Kansas City supposedly gave a hell of an offer to Mario to move the Penguins there. But Pittsburgh finally got that stadium and ended that deal.

I'd like to see the Preds move to Winnipeg. Supposedly, there is a chance they will stay in Nashville, but the reason Basille walked away from the Penguins deal was because they wanted him to keep the team in Pittsburgh. Its amazing that the team that finished with the 3rd most points lost $15 million this season. No wonder they are being sold.

jjreason
05-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Good stuff. Wiki never fails! :thumbsup:

Rogue II
05-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Actually, I knew all of that off the top of my head(other than Oakland moving to Cleveland). I just used wiki to verify.;)

jjreason
05-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Awesome! It actually was you I was referring to in my sig line - the pic of Gordie Howe was just added randomly as an afterthought. lol

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Ottawa in 7.

Anaheim will do a better job of exposing the Sens' weakpoint in goaltending, but Anaheim's top line cannot compare to the top line of Ottawa. Both play a tough defense, but Ottawa has a better special teams and that will help them as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 07:34 PM
but Ottawa has a better special teams and that will help them as well.I didn't realize there were kickoffs in hockey.

jjreason
05-28-2007, 05:07 PM
God bloody dangit, I spend nearly 100,000 coins on Quest for the Cup and didn't get the Cup itself! I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I had the other 5 cards after about 10,000 points, and it wasn't coming up. Yikes. :frus:

Cappy, did you get it? Based on your score, you had a HUGE stockpile sitting there!!!! :eek:

Rogue II
05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I managed to get all of the cards and still have 1325 cards left over.

jjreason
05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Nice job, RII! I'll keep picking away at it until I get the Cup - hopefully get the Cup, I guess.

CaptainSolo1138
05-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Cappy, did you get it? Based on your score, you had a HUGE stockpile sitting there!!!! :eek:I did! I had about 175,000 coins stockpiled since the last wave of cards. I got around 435 packs of cards and only one Cup! I was reading on another board that the Stanley Cup card is 1 in 30,000 something (I'm not sure if its 1 in 30,000 packs or 1 in 30,000 cards). What sucks, though, is that I could get another dozen Cups and still not see the leader board it seems.:cry:

pegger
05-29-2007, 09:01 AM
OK - that goal in final 4 minutes, while nice, ruined the game for me. ;)

Entertaining game...this will be an awesome series. And, at least it was close.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Anaheim looks unbeatable the way they are playing. I don't see any way that Ottawa can rebound and win this series, especially after their lack of effort tonight after realizing that they didn't play their best in Game 1. You thought they would have come out like gangbusters but they didn't.

I give mad props to Randy Carlyle. He is a great coach and had his team ready.

pegger
05-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Anaheim looks unbeatable the way they are playing. I don't see any way that Ottawa can rebound and win this series, especially after their lack of effort tonight after realizing that they didn't play their best in Game 1. You thought they would have come out like gangbusters but they didn't.

I give mad props to Randy Carlyle. He is a great coach and had his team ready.

I don't know if it's so much the Ducks playing great (which they are) or if it's Ottawa playing poorly (which they are). Ottawa looked sluggish last night. Anaheim was skating circles around them, and if it wasn't for Emery it would have been a blow out. This is not the team that beat Buffalo. I think Ottawa is starting to choke. Anaheim deserved to win that game last night.

Did you know that Calyle used to PLAY for the Jets??? As did Selanne...If Anaheim were to win, I wouldn't be upset because both these guys would get rings....

jjreason
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
The next game is do or die for the Sens - they're right back in it with a win, and dead in the water with a loss. Yes, I realize that everyone knows this, I just wanted to post something. lol

mabudonicus
05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Coulda posted how there's NO WAY it's gonna be a four-game series, way too much money to be lost, I have a feeling it's gonna play out like a mexican wrestling match, it'll actually "begin" in game 5- not staking my reputation on this (although I could hardly devalue it worse than I've already managed to do) but I'm guessing that 4 games is not gonna happen regardless of anything on the ice :beard: Iso & Baws
Pegger is gonna be happy no matter who wins at this point, as he posted above ^

DarthBrandon
05-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Coulda posted how there's NO WAY it's gonna be a four-game series, way too much money to be lost, I have a feeling it's gonna play out like a mexican wrestling match, it'll actually "begin" in game 5- not staking my reputation on this (although I could hardly devalue it worse than I've already managed to do) but I'm guessing that 4 games is not gonna happen regardless of anything on the ice :beard: Iso & Baws
Pegger is gonna be happy no matter who wins at this point, as he posted above ^

I can't stand either team, but if one has to win let it be Anaheim, wish Pronger wasn't winning it, but at least it won't be Ottawa.

Prediction is Sweep if both teams play like they are (Ottawa crappy, Anaheim quite good)

CaptainSolo1138
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
wish Pronger wasn't winning itI have an obvious grudge against Anaheim, but even if they didn't knock out my precious Wings, I'd want Ottawa to win anyway just to keep that thug's name off the cup. As it is, I wonder if the Stanley Cup engraver has a template for an asterisk in the event that Anaheim wins it, denoting the champions with the least amount of excitement ever generated during their Cup run. Usually when teams win so many games by a one goal margin, its something special. With Anaheim its just boring.

pegger
05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
I can't stand either team, but if one has to win let it be Anaheim, wish Pronger wasn't winning it, but at least it won't be Ottawa.

Prediction is Sweep if both teams play like they are (Ottawa crappy, Anaheim quite good)

Hey! You owe me double now.... :whip:

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I found this picture this morning (http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/Commie120/missingmilkcartoncopy.jpg) with the following caption: "If found please return to Scotiabank Place. I assume that Heatley and Spezza are on two other milk cartons.":D

jjreason
06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
The puck is about to drop, let's all hope there's a big Sens showing tonight so the milk company can focus on the younger and potentially more endangered missing persons. :D

pegger
06-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Nice to see Ottawa pull their heads out of their rears and play. Great game tonight. Now we may have a series...

CaptainSolo1138
06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
The puck is about to drop, let's all hope there's a big Sens showing tonight so the milk company can focus on the younger and potentially more endangered missing persons. :DWell, Alfie scored a goal tonight. Its hard to say he's "back", but at least they can do away with that particular milk carton! Hopefully Ottawa can pull out another win a home in a couple days and make it a three game series.

For those of you playing the NHL Quest for the Cup (read: jj and RII), top place has over 900,000 points and people with over 700,000 are not even on the leader board. When do we give up?:D

Pssst...I got my third Stanley Cup tonight!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-03-2007, 03:17 AM
As a fan of neither team, let me be the first to say that the officiating had an outcome in tonight's game and that it generally sucked for both teams, but more egregiously it sucked more for Anaheim.

Between hits that weren't called (Neil & Pronger) to chintzy penalties (May, Macdonald, and the Goalie Interference penalty) and a soccer style goal, I think it is clear that the NHL wants to extend the series.

jjreason
06-03-2007, 07:46 AM
With respect to the refs, Anaheim's only real achilles heel is their inability to stay out of the box, especially when things get fired up. I think the ref's have been headhunting their guys for the past 2 series - Lord knows we had more than enough pp opportunities against them. When you see Getzlaf and Perry incessantly bickering about the calls, you know the refs can't wait to call them for something - they just don't seem to get it. Sidney Crosby finally shut up this year, and the Penguins had a lot more success.

I think Pronger is going to get suspended again (for that uncalled elbow to the jaw of the Ottawa player), which will give Ottawa another lift for game 4. Has he always been vicious like this, or is it just recently? I've watched him play quite a few times over the years, and I've never seen him going after guys with the elbows before.

With respect to Alfie's goal - it looked to me like he intenionally moved his foot to direct the puck. While it wasn't a "kick" per se, it certainly looked intentional to me. I was expecting that one to be waved off. If that had been in OT, I can see there being a LOT of discussion about it... because Ottawa went on to score another goal (and soundly outplayed the Ducks for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods), I think it stands out less.

Still getting about 10 packs of cards per day on Quest for the Cup.... still no Cup yet. :(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-03-2007, 12:04 PM
With respect to the refs, Anaheim's only real achilles heel is their inability to stay out of the box, especially when things get fired up. I think the ref's have been headhunting their guys for the past 2 series - Lord knows we had more than enough pp opportunities against them. When you see Getzlaf and Perry incessantly bickering about the calls, you know the refs can't wait to call them for something - they just don't seem to get it. Sidney Crosby finally shut up this year, and the Penguins had a lot more success.

I think Pronger is going to get suspended again (for that uncalled elbow to the jaw of the Ottawa player), which will give Ottawa another lift for game 4. Has he always been vicious like this, or is it just recently? I've watched him play quite a few times over the years, and I've never seen him going after guys with the elbows before.

With respect to Alfie's goal - it looked to me like he intenionally moved his foot to direct the puck. While it wasn't a "kick" per se, it certainly looked intentional to me. I was expecting that one to be waved off. If that had been in OT, I can see there being a LOT of discussion about it... because Ottawa went on to score another goal (and soundly outplayed the Ducks for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods), I think it stands out less.

Still getting about 10 packs of cards per day on Quest for the Cup.... still no Cup yet. :(

I'll agree with everything you say.

Problem is, Ottawa is a physical team too. Remember the first three rounds of the playoffs, they physically dominated their opponents in each round. The Pittsburgh series especially comes to mind, but as a Sabres fan, I do know that we physically got dominated. (Yet, Ottawa always received their customary 5 on 3 powerplay in each game).

If you are going to call the hits, then make sure you call it both ways. There was a shift last night in which I thought Chris Neil could have been called for three penalties. But he was allowed to do his chicanery, and once he realized that he wouldn't be called, he kept it up.

Yes, Anaheim is a big, physical, even dirty team. But it looked like to me that the officials last night were intent on singling out one team, and that said team also scored on a goal in which I have seen a few less blatant, some even in these playoffs, get called back.

pbarnard
06-03-2007, 02:58 PM
It's official, Pronger suspended. Read it here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2891896&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

DarthBrandon
06-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I'll agree with everything you say.

Problem is, Ottawa is a physical team too. Remember the first three rounds of the playoffs, they physically dominated their opponents in each round. The Pittsburgh series especially comes to mind, but as a Sabres fan, I do know that we physically got dominated. (Yet, Ottawa always received their customary 5 on 3 powerplay in each game).

If you are going to call the hits, then make sure you call it both ways. There was a shift last night in which I thought Chris Neil could have been called for three penalties. But he was allowed to do his chicanery, and once he realized that he wouldn't be called, he kept it up.

Yes, Anaheim is a big, physical, even dirty team. But it looked like to me that the officials last night were intent on singling out one team, and that said team also scored on a goal in which I have seen a few less blatant, some even in these playoffs, get called back.

The refs have been doing this all season long & much so in the playoffs, how they cannot see an elbow to head while standing directly in front of the infraction is beyond me. Like I said, I've seen this crap all year long & when they see they missed a legit call, they follow up with phantom calls that come out of knowwhere. They really need to get back to calling the game fairly & not let it become a one sided affair. Pronger had really become a dirty player in this years playoffs, in all the series played so far he must have at least hit ten other players in the head with an elbow. The league had to penalize him after the fact for it last series against Detroit. (The refs never even called the hit which was right in front of the refs again)

Now that Ottawa has won a game & played much better than in the first two, it looks like my prediction has gone out the window & it could become an actual series.

Pegger, you owe me triple if your not a leafs fan.:D

jjreason
06-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Hmmmm... I thought they might go a little stiffer on him considering the recency of his last suspension. Hopefully the Sens can capitalize on the opportunity, unlike the Wings. :sad:

pegger
06-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Pegger, you owe me triple if your not a leafs fan.:D

I like the Leafs. Like this season, when they didn't make the playoffs. Priceless..

jjreason
06-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I think the fat lady is warming up her vocal cords - what a shame, after the way the Sens came out flying last night.

Anaheim seems completely unflappable, they just weather the storm and keep at it until they score. They have been very, very apparently the best team on the ice throughout these playoffs (as they were for a big part of the regular season, at least in the Western Conference) and they deserve to win the Cup.

pegger
06-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Anaheim seems completely unflappable, they just weather the storm and keep at it until they score. They have been very, very apparently the best team on the ice throughout these playoffs (as they were for a big part of the regular season, at least in the Western Conference) and they deserve to win the Cup.

I...unwillingly... agree. The only question now is 5 game, or 6 game series. Anaheim deserves the cup at this point.

Rocketboy
06-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I still want to know how you can hold a team without a shot for the first 11:30 and lose the friggin' game.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 07:43 AM
I still want to know how you can hold a team without a shot for the first 11:30 and lose the friggin' game.The Flying V.

pegger
06-06-2007, 08:36 AM
The Flying V.

Between that and the knuckle puck, it's no wonder Ottawa is struggling....

2-1B
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I always root for the Canadian based teams. Shame about the Disney team being so good. :(

figrin bran
06-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I always root for the Canadian based teams. Shame about the Disney team being so good. :(

Disney sold the team 2 years ago :p

2-1B
06-06-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah, but it still retains the name of a terrible movie franchise.

Rocketboy
06-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Great game there Sens...
:rolleyes:

yeah, but it still retains the name of a terrible movie franchise.Not anymore. The official team name was changed to the Anaheim Ducks.

figrin bran
06-07-2007, 02:10 AM
maybe i'll get to see the Cup this summer! :thumbsup:

who says west coast teams, especially ones formerly owned by The Mouse, aren't physical and hard working?

pegger
06-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Great game there Sens...

Yeah...I..

hmmm.

yeah.

Great for Selanne and Carlyle tho. I'm really happy those guys get their names on the cup. Selanne has still got to be one of the classiest players in the games.

Ducks deserved to win it.

CaptainSolo1138
06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Its good to see such a storied franchise finally win the most coveted sports trophy in the world after so many hard years of work, especially that Chris Pronger guy. He exemplifies classiness. Congrats to you, the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim! The Cup is finally back on the west coast of the US where it belongs!

The only bright spot for me was when they were doing the post game interview with Ryan Getzlaf on CBC. He said that it was "huge balls" that won the series for them. Informed that it was, in fact, OK to say "balls" on TV, he responded, "I know it is, because I just won the Stanley Cup!"

figrin bran
06-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Its good to see such a storied franchise finally win the most coveted sports trophy in the world after so many hard years of work, especially that Chris Pronger guy. He exemplifies classiness. Congrats to you, the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim! The Cup is finally back on the west coast of the US where it belongs!

Get used to it Captain Sourgrapes! :p

DarthQuack
06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
So what can we look forward to for 2008? A better season for the Rangers, although I was happy how well they had played.

CaptainSolo1138
06-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Get used to it Captain Sourgrapes! :p
Meh. It is not sour grapes so much as it is my overall distaste for expansion hockey. These teams end up throwing together a patchwork of old guys and has-beens that come together for a season for one big bang and then make a home for themselves in the cellar. I'm talking to you, too, Florida and Carolina (even though the 'Canes are simply a relocated team, they still fall in this category due to Rod Brind'Amour being 96 years old when he led them to the Cup). I will admit that Tampa Bay deserved their cup because they won it with the irreplaceable help of two young guys who have come up in their system (Lecavalier and St. Louis).

I'm not entirely bitter about The Anaheim Ducks of LA by way of Sacramento winning the Cup. Teemu Selanne deserves to finally have one as much as anyone else in the league who has yet to win it all. Also, I think it was great to see the Niedermeyer boys win it together. Still, I hope they accidentally misspell Pronger's name as "Douche".

There should be a twenty year waiting period for expansion teams before they're allowed to win the Cup.:thumbsup:

Withleather.com (http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=3056) has a great "story" about the game.:D (There's a swear in the article, young readers!)

2-1B
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Not anymore. The official team name was changed to the Anaheim Ducks.

Gottcha, except the below quotes are a bit confusing. :D

Seriously though, I know they changed their name and dropped the Mighty (ironic that their team is now, in fact, Mighty lol )...but are you going to tell me next that the name Carl's Jr under that home ice isn't really Hardee's ? :p

In summation:

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim = The Anaheim Ducks
Carl's Jr = Hardees

Congrats to you, the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim!

The Anaheim Ducks of LA by way of Sacramento

Brilliant, but add California to the mix as well since Anaheim's Angels of the Outfield used to go by that all inclusive state title. :)

CaptainSolo1138
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Brilliant, but add California to the mix as well since Anaheim's Angels of the Outfield used to go by that all inclusive state title. :)
Anaheim Ducks of Los Angeles by way of Sacremento via San Francisco, California a.k.a. "The Golden State"?

figrin bran
06-08-2007, 12:09 PM
There should be a twenty year waiting period for expansion teams before they're allowed to win the Cup.:thumbsup:

The Ducks made it 6 years ahead of schedule, that's all :D

JetsAndHeels
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm talking to you, too, Florida and Carolina (even though the 'Canes are simply a relocated team, they still fall in this category due to Rod Brind'Amour being 96 years old when he led them to the Cup).

Hold on there Cappy....Aren't you a Red Wings fan? Your team beat the Canes 4-5 years ago in the finals for the cup...its not like your team has been in a major drought for a championship.
The Canes couldn't be stopped last year. They had the right chemistry and got hot at the right time...and do you think guys like Cam Ward, Eric Staal, and Mike Commodore are has-beens?
Instead of the proposed waiting list you mentioned, maybe the other teams should just be better. :)

pegger
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Southwestern Ontario could easily support another NHL team - London itself has approximately 400,000 people in the general area and KW is almost another 300,000. Hamilton is almost 400,000 by itself, so putting it there would work fine as well.

The thing about KW is that people from ALL of the above noted areas could be at the rink within an hour - and a lot of people from the west side of Toronto could be as well. Ticket sales would NOT be a problem.

Hey - interesting factoid....

The guy that bought Nashville, also bought a huge piece of property, spitting distance from me ( JJ - Townline Road and Pinebush).

Prime real estate for an arena.... (Because no one else will know what the hell I'm talking about - it's the first exit into Cambridge from Toronto - right on the townline - you can't get any closer to Toronto, or the expressway than this peice of property)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Congratulations to the Duckys in one of the most dominating performances I have seen throughout their playoff run. The Sens who dispatched their three earlier round opponents rather easily, put up a good fight against the Ducks, but it was clear from the onset, who the better team was.

I think the East, which had won the last 4 Cups, and West, have now reversed roles from the 90's and earlier this decade, with the majority of the scoring and skill centered on the East Coast, while the more defensive-minded, mucker and grinder type hockey, is found on the West.

Hopefully the "new NHL" style of play doesn't die out because the Ducks certainly proved that toughness and physical play, can go a long way.

jjreason
06-21-2007, 02:51 AM
So now apparently it's Hamilton or nothing, as far as SW Ontario goes. I know they'd support a team, but haven't we been through this before some hundred times? It's too close to Toronto - and heaven forbid we ruffle any Make Belief feathers, right Gary? :rolleyes:

Rogue II
06-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Supposedly, they are looking to put the Preds' games on the Leafs' network as some sort of concession.

jjreason
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
And now the Preds' current owner wants the league to not recognize Balsillie as a true bidder - purportedly because he hasn't completely finalized his part of the deal yet, even though he has until June 30th to do so. I don't get it.

In other news, London (my home town) Knight superstar Patrick Kane went first in the draft (no-brainer there) and will be a Chicago Blackhawk. Good for him, he lit it up big time this past OHL season.

CaptainSolo1138
06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Toskala to the Leafs and Vokoun to the Panthers today. Should be interesting to see two noteable western conference goalies try to maintain their stuff in the east.

Rogue II
06-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Here is the Preds' official statement

Nashville, Tenn. (June 22, 2007) – Nashville Predators Owner Craig Leipold issued the following statement today: “We did send the NHL a letter today requesting that it not do any further due diligence on Jim Balsillie’s offer for the Nashville Predators until we reach a binding agreement. If Jim is interested in reaching a binding agreement, we are prepared to move forward.”

There were a lot of Sabres fans hoping they would trade up and grab Kane since he is from Buffalo. It wasn't realistic, but they can dream.

Its kind of crazy that the Leafs have traded for a goalie during the draft 2 years in a row now. Rumors are that there will be big trades tomorrow. Sabres have the first pick of the 2nd round and are supposedly looking to make a deal for more picks.

jjreason
06-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I would look for the Leafs to try and dump Andrew Raycroft for a 2nd rounder (they have an excellent junior goalie, Justin Pogge, waiting in the wings), but he's expensive and under contract for 2 more seasons.

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Damn. Wings lose Bertuzzi, Lang, Schneider and Calder. Granted, they picked up Bryan Rafalski, but they're left now with a lot of holes to fill.

Rocketboy
07-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Damn. Wings lose Bertuzzi,Good.

Lang, Schneider and Calder. Granted, they picked up Bryan Rafalski, Crap, crap, crap, cool.

but they're left now with a lot of holes to fill.Giggity.

figrin bran
07-03-2007, 11:17 PM
From the Duck fan perspective, getting Schneider was awesome. I liked him when he was with the Kings. I don't like their acquisition of Bertuzzi at all. definitely overpaid for him. why not just use that money to reacquire Sykora or even Kariya?

CaptainSolo1138
07-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Becauselike everyone else who signs Bertuzzi, they want a big guy up front to cover the little guys. Anaheim's already got a number of little guys but, with the exception of Pronger, lacked heavily in their physical game. Bertuzzi's a grade A jack off but the dude can punish.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-04-2007, 12:28 AM
The Rangers, Kings, Avalanche, Flyers, and Leafs improved their chances (notice they are the big markets). The Sabres, Predators, Devils, and Islanders all crapped the bed. The old spend and spend NHL is back as contracts now border on the laughable. Couple that with the return of obstruction back into the game and I wonder why the league took a year off just a short time ago?

jjreason
07-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Man, I was thinking the same thing reading about Kevin Lowe offering Vanek the $50 million... LOT o'cash there. Sadly, the Sabres haven't been able to come with decent offers for many of their other players who have jumped ship. :(

Sorry, LBC, but I don't think they'll be the same next year - how could they be? I hope I'm wrong.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Man, I was thinking the same thing reading about Kevin Lowe offering Vanek the $50 million... LOT o'cash there. Sadly, the Sabres haven't been able to come with decent offers for many of their other players who have jumped ship. :(

Sorry, LBC, but I don't think they'll be the same next year - how could they be? I hope I'm wrong.

I agree JJ. I think that what Lowe did was not surprising considering Edmonton had missed the boat on the initial flurry of UFAs and that he had lots of money to throw around to prove a point. Teams are now going to unchartered territory in raiding other teams' Restricted Free Agents. It was just unfortunate that he had to go after the Sabres' RFAs, a team that had been screwed already this offseason.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement within the NHL needs to be examined. You are going to look like the NBA in a few years, where 2 or 3 players on your team eat up 50% of your cap, meaning the rest of your roster are going to either be fringe players, or severely underpriced because of cap space. What did we have a lockout for in the first place?

Rogue II
07-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't think it will be as bad as the NBA.

Why should anyone worry about Buffalo? They singed Jocelyn Thibault as their back-up goalie.;) I'm hearing Buffalo didn't make a more serious offer to Briere because of Vanek. Losing Drury hurt a bit more because of his leadership. The only good news is with the Oilers making that offer to Vanek, the Sabres now have him for 7 years. I doubt that Buffalo would have signed him for that long by themselves. The Sabres did fine this year when half of their big names were hurt and they brought up 6 players from Rochester. Ottawa will be the team to beat, but Buffalo should make the playoffs. The Sabres said they want to be a little more defensive next year and are trying to pick up a vetran Center another Defenseman (either sign Sutton or possibly trading for someone like Derek Morris).

Lowe is looking really desperate because he got screwed out of Nylander, he missed the other big name Free Agents, and traded Ryan Smyth at the deadline because he refused to budge $500,000 when negotiating the extension. Supposedly, Lowe might go after one of the other RFAs like Parise from New Jersey.

jjreason
07-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Well now he's gotten the monkey off his back a bit by signing top-flight blueliner Sheldon Souray (an Alberta native). I'm not sure that's exactly what the Oilers needed - but he can't hurt.