PDA

View Full Version : The Next-Gen Wars

Rocketboy
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
http://nexgenwars.com/
Anyone know the accuracy of this? I have my doubts since it since it updates on its own.
Has the Wii really sold half as many systems as the 360 (and double that of the PS3) already?
I know that the 360 had the benefit of first to release and I have yet to see a Wii in a store, but that many systems have sold that fast?

El Chuxter
04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I know a lot of folks who aren't gamers who want the Wii. I wouldn't doubt the possibility.

General_Grievous
04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Wii is sold out everywhere here. Every store (from Target to EB Games) has at least 5 PS3s, 3 Xbox 360s, and 0 Wiis. That thing is pretty damn popular. Personally, I think it's too juvenile (not to mention the graphics aren't that much better than Gamecube's), but hey, people seem to like it.

Lord Malakite
04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I can't guarantee it is 100% accuarate but it sounds about right (on a world wide scale that is).

Microsoft has had a year long head start to build up a decent lead margin. In addition, they profited from the Wii and PS3 shortages at the end of the 2006 calander year with the "on the fence" buyers not being able to easily obtain the competition's consoles. The number of consoles sold could probably be a bit higher if the 360 wasn't suffering in the Japanese market though.

Nintendo planned to release 6 million consoles during the fiscal year ending March 31, 2007 (thats including the 4 million consoles they expected to ship by the end of the 2006 calendar year). If you have been to any stores lately though you can still see there is more demand than supply at the moment.

A combination of Blu-Ray component shortages and Sony's high asking price in comparison to Wii and the 360 have kept both PS3 supply and demand much lower than what Sony had expected.

Kidhuman
04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
The price point is whats hurting the PS3. I cant see why people want a Wii other than its the cheapest system out there right now.

El Chuxter
04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
It's a totally new approach to a game controller.

And, well, Nintendo has a good track record of fun games. Not the best looking games, or games with the best sound or most intelligent AI. But they consistently have fun games.

mabudonicus
04-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Okay, is it just me, or does that graph make NO sense?? the PS3 and WII chart ok, but how could the number of units sold of the Xbox 360 go DOWN???

Was that just a revision of the estimate or what??

:beard: Iso & Baws

Pegger chose his screename to honour the Winnipeg Jets

DarthQuack
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
The price point is whats hurting the PS3. I cant see why people want a Wii other than its the cheapest system out there right now.

Because all the fat people want to exercise with Wii Sports and lose weight.

Lord Malakite
04-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Okay, is it just me, or does that graph make NO sense?? the PS3 and WII chart ok, but how could the number of units sold of the Xbox 360 go DOWN???
I'm not exactly certain what is going on there either. The graph isn't all that detailed in terms of the time span it is measuring. That makes it difficult to check into the details for the drop of systems sold. Perhaps it is taking into account returns for defective consoles and unwanted Christmas presents being exchanged for competitors' consoles or store credit.

preacher
04-13-2007, 10:54 PM
The Wii is selling so well because the games are fun. It really isn't more complicated than that. The games don't take themselves too seriously either. Can't really say the same for sony and xbox. Granted the graphics for the PS3 are spectactular. I saw a demo of the marvel superheroes game and was amazed at the the texturing of both Captain America and Spiderman's clothing. But am I going to spend 600 on a system just so I can see that level of detail? The Gamecube version of Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil, and Resident Evil Zero had excellent graphics and proved that even the Gamecube was capable of some amazing graphics. If the Wii can only do that level of graphical quality that suits me fine. I don't need to see every blade of grass to be entertained. Or have umteen million colors display when I can only see half of umpteen million anyway.

Sony and Microsoft banked on the fact that graphics can substitute gameplay. If I want to watch a movie, then I will watch a movie, not some clip in a game. My money goes to Nintendo because they definitely have a better handle on what makes a game actually fun to play and not seem like the same ol same ol. Check out Super Paper Mario. That game looks very childish like a lot of games by Nintendo do, but the game is such a trip.

Where I live the Sony PS3s do not sell - at all. I don't even see many people looking at Blueray of HDVD disks. I just read in Gameinformer that Microsoft is trying to come up with there own answer to the Wiimote and PS3 axis controller. So obviously they are concerned.

bigbarada
04-15-2007, 12:43 AM
At the Wal-Mart in Litchfield, IL (a small, farming town about 7 miles from where I live), we have X-Box 360s and PS3s just sitting on the shelves. I've seen a lot of movie demos for the PS3 that look absolutely incredible, but no examples of gameplay whatsoever.

The Wiis have been sold out since their release. According to the lady who stocks them, one or two will show up without warning and sell out instantly.

Personally, I'm more interested in owning a Wii. The X-Box and PS3 just look like more of the same with better graphics. Plus those two systems seem to be directed at hardcore gamers of which I am definitely not one. I don't have a huge amount of time to play video games (I'm waaaaaay behind in Zelda for my Gamecube) and really just prefer fun factor over graphics and "mature" storylines.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-15-2007, 01:25 AM

Was that just a revision of the estimate or what??
If you click on the link for "Where do the numbers come from?", you get the following:

Where do the numbers come from?

The console sales numbers you see on the front page of NexGen Wars are estimates, and are not intended to represent exact, down to the minute sales as only Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony know the exact sales figures of their respective consoles. What we do here at NexGen Wars is compile numbers from NPD, Media Create, ChartTrack, as well as various other sources. We then take these numbers and, based on past sales trends, extrapolate the numbers out to give as close to real-time estimates as possible. Again, these are only estimates, but we are confident in our ability to bring you accurate and unbiased sales figures. Not only do we extrapolate the numbers out so they don't lag months behind with the official sales numbers, but we also update the numbers when new official numbers have been released to keep our estimates as accurate as possible.

mabudonicus
04-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Ahh, thanks MSP, dunno how I missed that one :D
:beard: Iso & Baws
JJreason and I watched the Holiday Special yesterday, and it didn't hurt too much

DarthQuack
04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I've had the Wii since launch day and I definitely enjoy the system, had an amazing time with SMGalaxy, which I think most people would enjoy....Mario Strikers is prety addicting as well as Super Paper Mario....I've had Zelda since launch but still haven't played it yet....hard to explain why I guess, just haven't committed enough time yet...

Today I bought an XBOX360....my brother has had one for a while now, and with all the buzz for GTA4, I couldn't help myself.....looks awesome. I picked up NHL '08 as my first game. Pretty sweet game so far, I love how it looks, just need to play it more to figure out the controls better.