PDA

View Full Version : Series alpha question

mtriv73
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Are the series alpha vehicles that were packed in with the micromachines to scale with the new titanium vehicles?

I never picked them up when they came out, but something Jeditricks said in another thread made me start looking at them again and I can't decide whether I want to track them all down or not.

RJarvis
04-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Are the series alpha vehicles that were packed in with the micromachines to scale with the new titanium vehicles?

I never picked them up when they came out, but something Jeditricks said in another thread made me start looking at them again and I can't decide whether I want to track them all down or not.

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is both yes and no.

First the "No" - scale is relative...most of the action fleet ships were more or less based on a 6-7" limitation (some smaller than that) I think the single unifying scale issue was the ability to fit one or more mini-figures into the ships. So if you're talking about direct scale, for instance, the tie fighter, although it shouldn't be, is nearly as big as the Millenium Falcon. (You get the idea)

Second the "Yes" - scale is relative ;) The ships that were packed in with the Alpha Fleet stuff are slightly larger physically than the Titanium ships. For instance, the Sith Infiltrator from the Alpha series is about 1/3 - 1/2" longer (going from memory here, someone correct me if I'm wrong) than its Titanium counterpart. (But IMHO it has better detail and paint job) And again, on the scale issue, we now have capital ships like the Invisible Hand that is the same size as the dewback, so on that front, true scale would still be questionable.

Bottom line, like all toys should, the Alpha series requires a bit of imagination, but in the end are worth the effort.

Anyone else got thoughts?

rj

mtriv73
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks,

I guess scale wasn't really the right word. I meant are they about the same size as the titanium ships and you answered the question.

sicqnus
04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
The tiny Sith Infiltrator is alone worth the purchase of the Alpha 2-pack. It is very nicely made. The silver prototypes of the "classic" Alpha are pretty interesting too.

JediTricks
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
They're comparable scale, though you'd only want to bother with the ones that haven't been turned into Titaniums yet - the OT versions (which are all based on concept designs). The Prequel SA little guys are the regular movie ones and have already been done as Titaniums.