PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Vonnegut passes away at 84

El Chuxter
04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
So it goes.

:cry:

mabudonicus
04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes, I think he's requesting the closing of the "night canopy" right now.

He wrote some GREAT stuff, and he was a rare thing in being a talented guy who neither burnt out NOR faded away. A life well lived, not as common a tale as one might like. RIP

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2007, 10:15 AM
And as you predicted in an eerie fashion not more than two months ago, Chux, there was no breaking news on CNN when it happened, much less 24/7 coverage. As a matter of fact, it was nothing more thana blurb squeexed in at the bottom of the hour.

mabudonicus
04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
He obviously didn't have enough crack-babies or highly publicized meltdowns for the great unwashed to care about him. I think he would have preferred it this way, if his writings were any indication

2-1B
04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
The guy still made the rounds offering biting criticisms into his older years...that guy really brought it !

El Chuxter
04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Indeed he did. His last novel was by no means his best, but he was writing great essays right to the end.

I wonder if anyone has called Gabriel Garcia Marquez to let him know he's now officially the Greatest Living Writer as of yesterday?

JON9000
04-15-2007, 09:44 AM
coincidentally, I picked up Slaughterhouse Five and had just started reading it when news came on of his death.

JimJamBonds
04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I read Slaughterhouse Five in college and I have to say that is one of the most messed up books I have EVER read.

El Chuxter
04-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Well, you've not read many of his other books, have you? :p

I'm not sure what I find more amazing about Vonnegut: the way (most of) his books tend to jump around in time around one moment that is finally revealed at the end, tying the book up nicely; or the way he (no crap) would write each page once, revise it, and finalize it before moving to the next page, never returning to revise pages that he'd already completed, and still end up with masterpieces. I can't fathom how anyone could possibly do that.

darthvyn
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
in addition to "schlachthof-funf, or the children's crusade" which should be handed to every person on the face of the planet as soon as they are capable of reading, check out "sirens of titan," "breakfast of champions," and "cat's cradle".

JimJamBonds
04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, you've not read many of his other books, have you? :p Nope just that one in college.