PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - April 13th

JediTricks
04-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Friday the 13th unlucky? Not when it's Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for April 13th, 2007.
Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers, and remember to check out ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162) for their weekly Hasbro Q&A as well (which also got an update today).

Hasbro Q&A for the week of April 13th

Q: When Episode II came out, there was a big fuss made about Hasbro using Realscan technology as an advanced guide assisting in the sculpting process - especially for heads and accessories. In the 5 years after, how often has Realscan been used since then, how helpful has it been, what are some of the most common drawbacks when using it for you, and what is the figure or figure's accessory that is closest to the Realscan source data?
A: We have found that while it's a good start in some cases, 3-3/4" figures needed in some cases more expression than the scans provided, so we have gotten into the habit of simply sculpting fresh almost all the time.

--

Q: Will the moisture vaporator be available only with this upcoming Luke figure so those who want multiples of this accessory will need to buy multiple Lukes, or will there be other ways to get it in the foreseeable future? (One possibility is to reuse the accessory with Ep 2 Owen Lars, Beru Whitesun, and Cliegg Lars figures.)
A: It's a definite possibility, but for this year at least that's the only way to get this figure.

--

Q: There has been some confusion about the upcoming Vintage-style Han Solo in Hoth gear figure, specifically his headgear. Pictures from Toy Fair show a version with a removable hat/goggles combination, but will the figure also be able to wear the hood-up look that covered the hat in the movie, and if so, how will this be achieved? If not, why is the movie-accurate hood-up look not being utilized here? What was it about Vintage-style Han Hoth's hood-up accessory which made Lucasfilm pull approval of that item?
A: Lucasfilm did not think the aesthetics of the hood-up head sculpt were right for the product, so they asked us to pull it out. Given that it was too late to resculpt the accessory, we pulled it from the product rather than rework it and delay Vintage more than it had already been delayed.

--

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162):

In a future release, would it be possible to re-release Dannik Jerriko with the holes in his face (the ones caused by the removable proboscises) filled in?
Recently, several unique figures and accessories have been released in boxed sets (multi-packs, vehicles) - for example: Zev Senesca, removable-helmet Snowtrooper, white AT-RT Driver, the Geonosian energy binders, etc.. As many collectors who have been with the line for 12 years haven't wanted to purchase (for example) yet another Snowspeeder they already had just to get a new figure, have you given any thought to releasing these figures separately, either carded or as hasbrotoyshop.com exclusives?
In the vintage line, Kenner included a cloak with Bib Fortuna that was made out of a wonderful material that lay down closely to the body of the figure. The modern cloaks leave a lot to be desired, as it appears a number of materials have been tried but all coming up lacking in one way or another. Why not use the material that was in the Bib cloak?

El Chuxter
04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Some wonderful non-answers. :)

bigbarada
04-14-2007, 01:04 AM
The Hasbro-guy seems to have misunderstood the Moisture Vaporator question.

figrin bran
04-14-2007, 02:16 AM

ha! no kidding. as if anyone would actually want that luke figure if not for the vaporator.

2-1B
04-14-2007, 09:13 AM
What's up with the Hoth Han? I haven't seen a pic of it so I'm not sure what they are talking about?

El Chuxter
04-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I was planning to build an army of those Luke figures, but don't want all the stupid vaporators. I'm sure he just thinks the same way.

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 04:42 PM

ha! no kidding. as if anyone would actually want that luke figure if not for the vaporator.I believe he just used the wrong term, he knew we wanted the vaporator and referred to the accessory as a "figure".

Caes, this thing: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=21263&cat=5270
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=20556&cat=5270

Droid
04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
They may consider the packaging a convention exclusive, but I'd still like to know if the McQuarrie R2, 3P0, and Luke figures will be available in another format this year. I can't imagine them making those molds for exclusives and having McQuarrie figures all year to have three of the ones people would want most to be exclusive to conventions.

JediTricks
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
No, they won't, the figures themselves are exclusives.

Jargo
04-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Jebus, Ebay will be awash with those godawful Luke figures.

I kinda like that the han figure has a removable cap and goggles. I know it flies against the true vintage feel but at least you still get an option of with or without head gear.

good kick in the nether regions for realscan there too. but there again, if the technology didn't translate down to four inch scale figures it can't be any worse tha some of the recent head sculpts. which I have to say look like a junkie doing cold turkey sculpted them. they got a chimpanzee orphan rehab programme working on the sculpting team?

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Looks like Han's hat may be coming with the figure after all, and if that's the case, then there may have been a hood-up thing which I haven't seen yet that got canned.

I suspect the scans produce figures scaled down to 1:18 that have narrow heads and lose a lot of characteristics due to the subtleties being lost at that scale. What surprised me about that answer was that they don't even use the Realscan data for a guide at this point, they toss it completely and go by eye instead.

Jargo
04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Too bad they never had technologies back when Mark Hamill was young. Maybe if they'd created a master head for Luke figures at a larger scale they'd be better at capturing his likeness on small figures. I mean he looks like a prune these days so he's no use for anything likeness wise. I'm sure someone could take all the photo reference and create a contoured 3D model of his head though that could then be used as a basis. it would have to be better than these non hamill like head sculpts hasbro does.

2-1B
04-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the link JT, it definitely goes against the vintage feel like MDP said...I think it looks goofy with the hat on but sans hat, it's a cool version of the character.

I still love the vintage "hood up" look though...shame they didn't do it that way 10 years ago or whenever - then maybe this one would be more welcomed by collectors.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Too bad they never had technologies back when Mark Hamill was young. Maybe if they'd created a master head for Luke figures at a larger scale they'd be better at capturing his likeness on small figures. I mean he looks like a prune these days so he's no use for anything likeness wise. I'm sure someone could take all the photo reference and create a contoured 3D model of his head though that could then be used as a basis. it would have to be better than these non hamill like head sculpts hasbro does.Yeah, no kidding, it'd be nice if Hasbro had some accurate data on Hamill from that era, they're pretty hit-or-miss (focusing heavily on the "miss" part) with them figures.

Thanks for the link JT, it definitely goes against the vintage feel like MDP said...I think it looks goofy with the hat on but sans hat, it's a cool version of the character.

I still love the vintage "hood up" look though...shame they didn't do it that way 10 years ago or whenever - then maybe this one would be more welcomed by collectors.I would have liked to see a hood-up version, they did it in the Saga line and that part worked well - stupid arms and legs had the Saga line's preposed problems though.