PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro confirms Destroyer Droid with shield.

Battle Droid
04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
From, http://www.thejawa.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6397.0

1. Is the Destroyer Droid with shield being released later this year going to be a new sculpt?

HASBRO: It is a modified version of the destroyer that launched projectiles. We have deleted the launchers and swapped heads to a better head than the one it originally came with. Each will come with half of a full shield (due to package fit). If you buy 2, each half of the shield will attach to entirely enclose the droid.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm glad they're doing it, but . . . buy two to get the whole thing? The figure itself better be good. I wish they wouldn't have used the mold they mentioned, since even without the rockets, it still has giant limbs and that idiotic button. I wish they would've just the mold from the Clone Wars 3-packs, but with new arms. Hopefully this will turn out well.

Battle Droid
04-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Hopefully they've removed the button and wacky arms as well, and just didn't say that.

LTBasker
04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Meh, the launching droid is crappy in more than just the launchers. In fact, the head was the only decent part, all they have to do is use the TPM body with the Launching one's head. Voila, perfect.

General_Grievous
04-14-2007, 03:59 PM
You have to buy two? Forget it. I don't want the shield that bad.

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I love it, they took off the head, the only decent piece in the original figure! WHY?!? They should just go back to the Ep 1 version, or maybe the Battle Damaged version (it has a crisper sculpt). Still, I've always wanted that shield, so I'll buy 2.

Battle Droid
04-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Maybe it'll have an even better head now? *shrugs* :)

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 05:00 PM
One can only hope, but Hasbro's behavior rarely instills confidence.

El Chuxter
04-15-2007, 02:32 AM
What sort of demented, stupid Hasbro-logic is that?

Wait, this is Hasbro. Never mind.

abell748
04-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Well, I did want the shield until I read I have to buy multiples just to have 1 complete shield. That is like putting the moisture vaporator in with 3 different figures you have to buy to make 1 complete one. Thanks Hasbro...

General_Grievous
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
That is like putting the moisture vaporator in with 3 different figures you have to buy to make 1 complete one.
Not if the three figures were AOTC Owen, Beru and Cliegg Lars. Then nobody would complain.

Jargo
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
So they're finally releasing the destroyer from the unproduced episode one 2-pack. is what I hear. Which was the best sculpt.

They really need to release that rolled up droideka again too. without the stupid launcher.

jimmymiro12
04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
They should do one shield for each droid

Mad Slanted Powers
04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
So they're finally releasing the destroyer from the unproduced episode one 2-pack. is what I hear. Which was the best sculpt.

They really need to release that rolled up droideka again too. without the stupid launcher.
I didn't care for either of the rolled up droids they have released. I want an actual unfolding destroyer droid.

Dark Marble
04-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I think Hasbro is testing the waters here. I have seen several questions in the Q&A's about following the Marvel figures and making pack-ins where you have to buy several figures to build something else. Here is a little test to see how well something like this will be recieved. I will buy two of them but that is my limit.

Darth Cruel
04-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I completely understand that the cards are not big enough to put a whole shield in. But if I buy 2 to get one shield, don't I still have a Destroyer Droid with NO shield? Can someone help me with the math there?

abell748
04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Not if the three figures were AOTC Owen, Beru and Cliegg Lars. Then nobody would complain.

OK, point taken. That would be the only way I would buy them.

bobafrett
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Why not just get the bottom half of a clear Easter egg to give your droids a "shell" of protection? If you hurry, you might still find one at hslf off some Easter sale!

Jargo
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
the trouble with making a droideka that unfolds is that it would end up being too breakable and even if they ould articulate the joints the right way they'd end up weak and flimsy. they cheat in the movie with how the joints work anyway. same with the battle droids. impossible engineering. Hasbro have said they've tried to find a way to do it on more than one occasion. at a 12" scale I'd imagine it could be done quite easily but on such a small scale as these figures are I can see how it would be a nightmare to create. the legs and arms have universal joints and bend in many places to squeeze it into the rolled up position, parts stretch and shrink, to joint it so it actually looks right in a figure would mean making it mega super ridiculously articulated and thus very very costly.
we all know by now that they have a budget per year. the more articulation in figures higher the cost of them and that means less bits and bobs across the other figures. just to articulate the arms and legs correctly i count 19 points of articulation. and to get the head and spine to fold round right you're pushing it to about 25 points. being realistic. not only would that be costly to produce it would be stupid money to buy. if you compromise on articulation you end up with something that doesn't look right and is really ugly as well.

At best all I would hope for is a destroyer droid 3-pack that had a newly sculpted rolled one with more detail and decent paint applications, a completely unfolded one with a whole shield and a completely trashed battle damaged one. Maybe sliced and diced with a lightsaber. all blackened edges and glowing embers. exposed cables and stuff.

maybe even a concept design version. some of Doug Chiang's earlier designs were quite cool.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I completely understand that the cards are not big enough to put a whole shield in. But if I buy 2 to get one shield, don't I still have a Destroyer Droid with NO shield? Can someone help me with the math there?Well, all the Destroyer droids to this point have had no shield. So now you buy two, you get one of each.

DarkArtist
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
may have to get a few of these since they are coming with only half a shield, which sucks on the buyers part but smart on Hasbro's. this way they can get more money from the collectors who want to have a complete shield for their droideka's

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 05:58 PM
So they're finally releasing the destroyer from the unproduced episode one 2-pack. is what I hear. Which was the best sculpt. Where do you get that idea? From what I understood, they said it was the Saga missile-launching one with modified head and hands, that's not the 2pack version at all (which is a shame, the 2pack version looked pretty good).

They really need to release that rolled up droideka again too. without the stupid launcher.(It first came with the R2 Carry Case/Playset) They answered that already on Dec 8th:
TheJawa.com: In a previous Q&A, you mentioned that you'd already tried to make a Droideka that could turn from "wheel" mode into battle mode but it was too difficult/cumbersome to make viable. What about a "2-pack" then, where you have the regular Droideka mold and the "wheel" Droideka mold that was used in the "Destroyer Droid Battle Launcher". This could be done in both eps1 and eps2 color schemes as a running change.
Hasbro: The problem with the wheel is that it's not a fun figure and just becomes a fairly expensive accessory or set piece. We will consider it if the opportunity ever comes up.
Personally, I think that wheel version was pretty lame, it seemed underdetailed and undersized.

They should do one shield for each droidYeah, that'd be preferred, but then the figure would be a deluxe figure at least because there's no way I can see to get the full shield on a basic card, it's pretty large.

I didn't care for either of the rolled up droids they have released. I want an actual unfolding destroyer droid.They responded to that back on Sept 22nd:
JediDefender.com: The Droideka is a figure that fans have always wanted to see in a "collapsible" form, one that is able to fold up into a ball shape. With the skill put into the Star Wars Transformers designs, I imagine a folding Destroyer Droid is now possible on some level in the 3.75" line. Are you guys considering giving it a try, maybe in the Titanium Series figure line (like those transforming Titanium Transformers you've got out now)?
Hasbro: We looked at making it transform and collapse, but with the spindly small parts it didn't result in a satisying figure. But we'll continue to explore it.
I built the $50 LEGO version which only partway transformed and that sucker had to move a TON of stuff to get everything into wheel droid. The POTJ Mega Action version is very cool, but the transformation is inaccurate and again it required a lot of parts to move a lot. Still, I want to see them try this, even if it means making the arms and legs out of metal for strengthening - I'd pay a deluxe pricepoint for that.

I think Hasbro is testing the waters here. I have seen several questions in the Q&A's about following the Marvel figures and making pack-ins where you have to buy several figures to build something else. Here is a little test to see how well something like this will be recieved. I will buy two of them but that is my limit.Anything's possible, and they are releasing the bar curve ends and palace drum halves in basic figures as well, but I don't get the sense that this is a BAF situation just yet. It's more like they're trying to get this bigger stuff out there without doing unpopular and slow-selling deluxes and accessory packs, so they're working within the limitations of the basic figure cards.

Well, all the Destroyer droids to this point have had no shield. So now you buy two, you get one of each.Another way to look at it, you're buying a single deluxe-pricepoint Droideka with shield, and receiving a bonus Droideka figure on the side.

may have to get a few of these since they are coming with only half a shield, which sucks on the buyers part but smart on Hasbro's. this way they can get more money from the collectors who want to have a complete shield for their droideka'sOr you could just display the droideka against a wall or just look at the shield from the one side.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I guess, overall, since there are only five Droidekas at all that have a shield (all in TPM - two on the Droid Control Ship, three that Anakin shoots, and maybe more on the Gungan field), it's not too horrible that getting multiples of this would result in more Destroyers. Hopefully it at least looks good.

Jargo
04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
looking at the cancelled destroyer droid from the 2-pack, the head looks almost exactly the same as the head on the projectile firing destroyer droid. almost. the only difference i can see id on the third eye stalk that drops down in an S bend. on the cancelled version it's more bent. but that's it. nothing superior to that head at all. If i was going to redesign the head I'd just make the fork prongs at the back longer so they almost come down to the top of the hip vanes as in the movie. only other change I could think of is more neck movement but as far as I'm aware they don't turn their heads in a sideways motion do they?

the projectile firing destroyer has the best legs out of all the sculpts. and the arms are fine if it wasn't for the projectile firing thing but we know they're gone. the shoulder joint is a bit blocky though and to accomodate the forward motion they've given it a swivel joint because they can't joint where there's a hydraulic extending bar on the upper arm. (they did do that on the cancelled version but the detailing was compromised to achieve that extra point of articulation) unfortunately the swivel shoulder means losing the hose that should be under the arms or on the shoulder beam underside. the one that's on all the other destroyer droids.

final point to JT. I think I meant with my earlier post is that in essense that's what they're doing. I.E putting out the best destroyer droid yet. potentially. how it's going to turn out depends on if they use sub par plastics or not. like they did with the clone wars destroyers that turned out so flimsy.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 05:23 PM
looking at the cancelled destroyer droid from the 2-pack, the head looks almost exactly the same as the head on the projectile firing destroyer droid. almost. the only difference i can see id on the third eye stalk that drops down in an S bend. on the cancelled version it's more bent. but that's it. Which they already said they're tossing the head out anyway, so no connection there anymore. I think the Saga one uses the 2pack's head straight-up, they look the same to me from the side and in the underside details.

only other change I could think of is more neck movement but as far as I'm aware they don't turn their heads in a sideways motion do they?A little left and right I believe, 15 degrees at most, and I think that came from the spine so the arms came with, that's part of what caused the reciprocating fire action.

the shoulder joint is a bit blocky though and to accomodate the forward motion they've given it a swivel joint because they can't joint where there's a hydraulic extending bar on the upper arm.a "bit" blocky? That whole upper torso area is ruined by the new shoulder joints, it's all blocky.

(they did do that on the cancelled version but the detailing was compromised to achieve that extra point of articulation) I'm not seeing what you mean, I'm looking at the pictures of it and the joint doesn't seem to compromise that detailing there.

unfortunately the swivel shoulder means losing the hose that should be under the arms or on the shoulder beam underside. the one that's on all the other destroyer droids.Yeah, that's a crucial detail. Them using this saga mold is just a bad idea altogether.

final point to JT. I think I meant with my earlier post is that in essense that's what they're doing. I.E putting out the best destroyer droid yet. potentially. how it's going to turn out depends on if they use sub par plastics or not. like they did with the clone wars destroyers that turned out so flimsy.That's not how I took what you said, it was pretty clear too. I hope this comes out well, but I'm not expecting it to.

Jargo
04-22-2007, 09:22 AM
haha yeah well i'm not saying it'll be the best. just the best yet. if they simply copied the 2-pack design and tweaked that upper arm detailing and got away from the blocky shoulders and re-instated that underarm hose it would be better. but that's not to say they aren't simply using the 2-pack arm and shoulder asembly idea. we haven't seen pictures yet.

what I mean about the 2-pack version upper arm is that the hydraulic tensioner on all the released droids is a separate detail at an angle from the main arm joining the two sections of arm much in the same way threepio has that joining tensioner. whereas the 2-pack had that part sculpted into the main arm to allow for the extra point of articulation. as in the pic below.

I've probably back peddled here and contradicted myself. I don't care. I'm only human. and I normally post just before bed or just after getting up. not the clearest thinking times of day. that's my excuse anyway.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 09:00 PM
what I mean about the 2-pack version upper arm is that the hydraulic tensioner on all the released droids is a separate detail at an angle from the main arm joining the two sections of arm much in the same way threepio has that joining tensioner. whereas the 2-pack had that part sculpted into the main arm to allow for the extra point of articulation. as in the pic below.I see what you mean, but I didn't like that tiny piston on the front of the arm and the blank middle arm section. With an arm this big, they could put the tensioner on the lower piece and then have it slide through a hole on the upper piece, it'd require bulking up the upper piece a little but the payoff would be worth it (it was on the TAC Super Battle Droid's bulked up elements, and you barely even notice that they're bulked). Alternately, it could be attached to the upper arm and slide through the back of the "hand" where there's already enough bulk to accommodate it.

BTW, your pic is inaccurate, the one labeled Saga is actually the Clone Wars multipack version with the stupid sideways hands (they did that because they fit better on the card, apparently).

Jargo
04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
see. I said posting late or early isn't the best time. I actually know that's the clone wars version coz it's so bad. I must have had saga on my mind coz i didn't want to use that one as the firing mechanism irritates me. oh well....

JEDIpartner
04-23-2007, 12:52 PM
the trouble with making a droideka that unfolds is that it would end up being too breakable and even if they ould articulate the joints the right way they'd end up weak and flimsy. they cheat in the movie with how the joints work anyway. same with the battle droids. impossible engineering. Hasbro have said they've tried to find a way to do it on more than one occasion. at a 12" scale I'd imagine it could be done quite easily but on such a small scale as these figures are I can see how it would be a nightmare to create.

Yeah... they tried with the 7" version. That one isn't too bad but still isn't amazing. It's close but not that accurate.

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Step 1: Fold up arms

Step 2: Fold in legs

Step 3: Roll up body

Come on, it doesn't have to be rocket science, the way they overdid the transformation on the Jedi Force (or whatever) figure. We see the transformation in the movie, and it's hella simple.

Jargo
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
i was going to argue but I'm done here. and Chux is scaring me with his testosterone rushes.

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 05:46 PM
My point is, make the transforming droideka with better materials and a full shield, and re-institute the Deluxe pricepoint to release it (and, hopefully, other cool stuff).

Otherwise, stop releasing the mold that everyone is in agreeance that it's majorly inferior.

If it's absolutely necessary to re-release a droideka, go back to the far superior 1999 mold.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
My point is, make the transforming droideka with better materials and a full shield, and re-institute the Deluxe pricepoint to release it (and, hopefully, other cool stuff).

Otherwise, stop releasing the mold that everyone is in agreeance that it's majorly inferior.

If it's absolutely necessary to re-release a droideka, go back to the far superior 1999 mold.
The 1999 mold would still need a new head with the curved "eye" thing. I still prefer the Clone Wars version, since it's got a nice stance (unlike the too-close-together legs of the Saga/ROTS one), a curved back (which many don't), and seems pretty sturdy (the Saga/ROTS ones always end up getting gimpy). They would just need to retool the arms to face the right way (and whatever else they need to do to the arms) and maybe do a new head, add new paint, and it would be great. Or, at least, better than before.

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
None of the molds are close to accurate. I think the 1999 one is still the superior mold.

In any case, is the droideka so incredibly important that it needs to be in constant production to keep all those pegs so toasty? Shouldn't we get, oh, I don't know, Yarna instead?

JediTricks
04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
see. I said posting late or early isn't the best time. I actually know that's the clone wars version coz it's so bad. I must have had saga on my mind coz i didn't want to use that one as the firing mechanism irritates me. oh well....I know what you mean, but I've also found that when I'm a little tired like that, my posting gets a lot more interesting and philosophical. :D

Step 1: Fold up arms

Step 2: Fold in legs

Step 3: Roll up body

Come on, it doesn't have to be rocket science, the way they overdid the transformation on the Jedi Force (or whatever) figure. We see the transformation in the movie, and it's hella simple.Actually, the "shoulders" have to drop down too, and the arms and hips have to move in a manner that's not actually possible based on their joint designs, and then the whole thing is dependent on the head meeting the middle leg to form the wheel - it's a pretty difficult design to get right, the closest was the POTJ Mega Action and it compromised the largest aspects to the transformation.

If it's absolutely necessary to re-release a droideka, go back to the far superior 1999 mold.The '99 mold is pretty soft, better to go back to the '00 Battle Damaged mold and touch up the damage (it's a tighter sculpt) yet it's still inaccurate too. Look, I totally agree that there's a reason to rage about revisiting the stupid Saga Droideka, but that's a different aspect from the shield situation.

And asking them to reboot the deluxe line just to get 1 figure out is folly, the deluxe line failed every single time and there's no room for it on the current SW pegs anymore, rebooting it for 1 item would be expensive and wasteful for Hasbro.

LTBasker
04-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Hmm...wonder why they didn't just split it into 4 wedges..

I really don't care about getting a shield, I'd be happy if they just rereleased the TPM with a corrected head or the CW deluxe one with corrected blasters. I haven't compared either to movie shots to know how inaccurate they would look but I think it would look just fine with either one.

Honestly, they should've done a battlepack. How awesome would that have been? A pack with 2 Destroyer Droids with shields plus a Qui-Gon and TPM Obi-Wan both made from the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan body (with retooling for Qui-Gon's height, of course).

JediTricks
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
4 wedges would be a lot of seams and the finished sphere wouldn't have much structural integrity.

I'd like to get a new Droideka, the '99 body is pretty inaccurate and I have a bunch already. The CW one is really limited I think.

That sounds like a cool battlepack, though I'm not sure we'd get 2 shields out of it (the shields would be much wider than the box). Neither TPM Jedi's outfits are that close to the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan body though.

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 06:38 PM
And the ROTS Obi-Wan (or, as I call him, Chicken-Leg Kenobi) is the single most overrated figure in SW history.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-24-2007, 07:57 PM
That sounds like a cool battlepack, though I'm not sure we'd get 2 shields out of it (the shields would be much wider than the box). Neither TPM Jedi's outfits are that close to the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan body though.If they wen't with the regular box, it might be too wide. However, the Bantha is being called a Battle Pack, and they used a differnt box for that one. The shields should be able to fit in that sort of box.

K M Toydarian
04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
If they wen't with the regular box, it might be too wide. However, the Bantha is being called a Battle Pack, and they used a differnt box for that one. The shields should be able to fit in that sort of box.

Or the Saleucami battle pack type box. That would hold em.

JediTricks
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
If they wen't with the regular box, it might be too wide. However, the Bantha is being called a Battle Pack, and they used a differnt box for that one. The shields should be able to fit in that sort of box.
Or the Saleucami battle pack type box. That would hold em.Yes, and it's a good thing both of those are regular Battle Packs and not specialty 1-offs. :p The Bantha set costs more than double a regular BP and the Saleucami set has only 2 figures and 2 awful BARC speeder accessories, plus it's hard as hell to find.

I think the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan is not an overrated figure, it just isn't a match to the TPM Jedi outfits.

K M Toydarian
04-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Didn't Hasbro Q&A suggest at some point they would look into small vehicles in battle packs? This could introduce the Saleucami style box into a regular assotment, even to include smaller beasts (and maybe a better speeder bike and a rereleased Eopie :thumbsup: )
I'd like to see a battlepack with 2 Destroyers w/ sheilds and a TPM Obi wan and QuiGon w/ saber cutting through the door (cardboard background I mean). That was an iconic moment for me.

LTBasker
04-26-2007, 05:34 AM
4 wedges would be a lot of seams and the finished sphere wouldn't have much structural integrity.

They're not seams! They're equalized plasma streams that the shield emits from! :crazed: Okay, so nobody would buy that...

I'd like to get a new Droideka, the '99 body is pretty inaccurate and I have a bunch already. The CW one is really limited I think.

Each one has quite a few faults really, the point of it is that if they were just looking for a reuse then they could've opted for one that's already decent to make things easy. Instead they're retooling the worst one. Though, hopefully retooling efforts means they want to actually make an accurate one.

That sounds like a cool battlepack, though I'm not sure we'd get 2 shields out of it (the shields would be much wider than the box). Neither TPM Jedi's outfits are that close to the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan body though.

The box I figured could be enlarged as mentioned the Saleucami and Bantha battle packs were. It could be done in a couple ways:

1) A box sort of like the Galactic Heroes cinema scenes where they're all actually standing.

2)A box only slightly larger than regular battlepacks with each Destroyer Droid only covered from the front by half of the shield with the other two halves hidden, possibly encased in a cardboard wall that adds a 3D effect to the enviroment (the hall that Obi and Qui run down?).

I never noticed that the ROTS Obi-Wan sculpt didn't match the TPM costumes, since it would have to have special packaging anyways though it would probably be an exclusive. So it might have enough budget to retool the sculpt not just for Qui's height but to make the costumes match as well.

Or would the retooling be too extensive that they may as well be new sculpts?

JediTricks
04-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Didn't Hasbro Q&A suggest at some point they would look into small vehicles in battle packs? This could introduce the Saleucami style box into a regular assotment, even to include smaller beasts (and maybe a better speeder bike and a rereleased Eopie :thumbsup: )
I'd like to see a battlepack with 2 Destroyers w/ sheilds and a TPM Obi wan and QuiGon w/ saber cutting through the door (cardboard background I mean). That was an iconic moment for me.You thinking of this answer from March 16th?:

GalacticHunter.com: The concept of the 3 3/4" Battle Pack has evolved to include Beasts and Speeders (welcome additions). The original concept used newly re-tooled figures or new paint schemes, more accessories, and clear stands. Are the bonus accessories and stands completely phased out in favor of a new figure here and there? (Padmé from Ambush on Ilum could've really used a stand.) Would the Battle Pack series be the outlet for a completely new Imperial Speederbike? (It's overdue for an update, and there are several key figures that can interact with them.)
Hasbro: The concept of multi-figure packs is not a new one, as you point out, but the success of the new ones versus the older ones lies in the energetic, scene-based packout and the character selection (either heroes or Clones/troops), and now we are expanding that out to include smaller vehicles and beasts which we are excited about as well because it adds a dimension to the line we haven't had since the "deluxe" price point. We are looking at opportunities for new speeders but don't have anything definitive in the works. Finally, while we don't rule out larger accessories where it makes sense for the these packs, battle stands won't be coming back into them. Fans will soon have the opportunity to get 40-packs of official figure stands (2006 Saga stands) from HasbroToyShop.com. They will be made available for the first time at Celebration IV in Los Angeles.
That answer doesn't suggest using beasts and vehicles in regular BPs though. From Jan 12th:

GalacticHunter.com: Through European outlets, images of the Treachery on Saleucami Battle Pack have leaked out, and the set quite obviously includes two Republic Speederbikes. Is this, perhaps, the future for the small-sized vehicles, or is this Battle Pack a one-off? (Is this a Target exclusive?)
Hasbro: This is an exclusive for Wal-Mart, and is not part of the same Battle Pack line that is at all retailers. We are open to thinking of figure/vehicle packs like this for ideas further down the road. Stay tuned…
and

JediInsider.com: Images of the Treachery On Saleucami Battle Pack with BARC speeders recently showed up on the internet. First can you tell us if this will be a store exclusive, or will it see a regular release? Second can you tell us if there are any plans to do further battle packs like this one with the small vehicles? For instance Speeder Bikes with Endor Luke and Leia or Taun Tauns with Hoth Han and Luke are some suggestions our readers have made.
Hasbro: Since the cat is out of the bag..we can confirm that it will be a store exclusive for Wal-Mart and will probably be on shelf in April sometime. We are looking at the possibility of additional ones like this in the future, expanding the battle pack idea.
(you would not believe how many times the word "battle" and the phrase "battle pack" appears in the answers over the past 10 months:shocked: )

They're not seams! They're equalized plasma streams that the shield emits from! :crazed: Okay, so nobody would buy that...Actually, you make a good point there, I keep thinking that they'll HAVE to be straight seams, but there's no reason the seams couldn't be curved like a subtle "S" to suggest the same shape as the wavy lines in the shield, this would have the added effect of strengthening the sphere. But it'd still put a noticeable seam in front of the Droideka's face or blasters. Too bad we're not on the design team. :p

The box I figured could be enlarged as mentioned the Saleucami and Bantha battle packs were. It could be done in a couple ways:

1) A box sort of like the Galactic Heroes cinema scenes where they're all actually standing.

2)A box only slightly larger than regular battlepacks with each Destroyer Droid only covered from the front by half of the shield with the other two halves hidden, possibly encased in a cardboard wall that adds a 3D effect to the enviroment (the hall that Obi and Qui run down?).You're still talking about a 1-off specialty package, one that's going to be incapable of shipping with other units, between those 2 aspects that alone would raise the price. Also, if you have enough room to hide the shields, it'll be covering up probably 1/3 of the display front, negating the concept of the displayable BP somewhat.

I never noticed that the ROTS Obi-Wan sculpt didn't match the TPM costumes, since it would have to have special packaging anyways though it would probably be an exclusive. So it might have enough budget to retool the sculpt not just for Qui's height but to make the costumes match as well.

Or would the retooling be too extensive that they may as well be new sculpts?Yeah, you're talking about retooling so much of the figure - head, torso (which is 2 separate elements on Pilot Obi-Wan), legs - that really you're just building a figure around a pair of arms.

K M Toydarian
04-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Those are the answers I was remembering. Hopefully Hasbro comes up with some good ideas to get some older and newer stuff out in the BP format. I still would like an Eopie. An Anakin on Swoop w/ Tusken camp could be cool too.

Back on topic, I do hope the Destroyer is a good rendition, since we will have so many extras getting at least 2 complete shields.