PDA

View Full Version : Raines - best detective show on TV!

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Anybody watching NBC's Raines? It got only lukewarm reviews, but I was impressed with it from day 1. It's not a procedural which is refreshing - I'm burning out on Law & Order and CSI clones - instead it's all about how our titular police detective solves crimes while conversing with the victims whom he imagines seeing in real life (he can't control it, thinks he's going crazy). Raines was especially awesome last night, perfect neo-Noir, the judge jumping to his death and the final scene with the cops saving the hostage were awesome scenes (and Raines pumping the trunk full of bullets was magnificent). Jeff Goldblum is great here too, he really is a believable character, and his oft-dark humor is just the right touch in a show where sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's very serious.

Anyway, it's on Fridays on NBC, so unfortunately most folks won't probably notice it, but it's really good and I hope some of you mugs are enjoying it. Give it a look if you get a chance.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Man, let it be known JT that you and I, for the time in many moons, agree here! :thumbsup: I've been watching RAINES since episode 1 and I love it. Jeff Goldblum brings a lot to the character with his mannerisms and quirkiness. I do like how the victims aren't ghosts, but just figments of his mind, trying to help solve the case.

And yeah, last night's episode was great with Raines not thinking twice about shooting up the guy in the trunk. I read that if it gets solid ratings on fridays, it'll get renewed. It was getting 10-12 million viewers on Thursdays. Now, it's getting about 7-9 million on Fridays. I hope it gets renewed as it's a very awesome. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed at all.
I doubt I'll watch it again.

2-1B
04-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Anybody watching NBC's Raines? It got only lukewarm reviews

I've not seen the show yet but I was thinking they should be touting reviews that say "When it Raines, it pours." lol

General_Grievous
04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I've seen the commercials, but I'm not too sure...I can only handle Goldblum in small doses.

JediTricks
04-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah Guyute, the victims being figments instead of ghosts totally sold me on this show, I'm sick of dead folks talking on TV all the time, and I like how the imaginary versions of the victims change with the information Raines gets.

7 to 9 mil ain't bad for Friday, CBS's "hit" show Numb3rs does only 9 to 11 on the same day and it's had years to build an audience. NBC should consider themselves lucky for any ratings at all after schedule-shifting their entire lineup out of the top 30. Never the less, NBC will probably not see it that way and can it even though it's probably fairly cheap to produce since it's all talk, no f/x.

An hour of Goldblum a week I hear does wonders for the digestion. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-21-2007, 11:43 PM
A very solid episode last night. The interaction between Raines and the kid was great; i'm just glad he saw her as far more sympathetic. The previews worried me as i was nervous they would make her obnoxious and she wasn't too bad at all.

And how bad was that for him when he had to deal with her AND the killer??! But, I did love how she just kept shooting him repeatedly. The "Thank you" and the wink was HYSTERICAL. :thumbsup:

I think it did about 7 million last night too. Season finale is next week. I just hope it gets a full order for next season! C'mon NBC!!! (crosses fingers) :thumbsup:

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, her shooting the killer that second time had me rolling, a great way to keep a very heavy episode from getting too dark.

I found the episode about the way you did, and I also appreciated that, unlike most shows out there, there was no twist to the crime - the killer we suspected was the one who did it, and the policework would have caught him if he hadn't been killed.

It bummed me out to see the next ep is the season finale already , I really like this show and wanted a lot more. I'll definitely write to NBC next week in support of a second season.