PDA

View Full Version : Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis

pbarnard
04-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Can't believe I haven't seen a thread for this beyond the cancellation notice.

Anyone watch?

How about on SG-1 that the sangral wasn't a weapon per se but Merlin himself? Teal'c's look when the C4 blew in the dragon? Classic SG-1.

Atlantis, my wife who doesn't watch, was laughing at the dialogue. Course it was unresolved, but did the ZPM's the replicators build remain?

Phantom-like Menace
04-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I'd have some relevant comments, but my DVR recorded every repeat Sci-Fi Channel showed and apparently decided not to actually record the new ones. Oddly it didn't record My Name is Earl the previous week, and I'm slightly worried this might be the start of the machine revolution.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 06:34 PM
There are 2 Atlantis threads:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29684
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24629

And besides the cancellation thread, there's this SG1 thread:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=18192

I thought SG1's return was pretty solid, if a little predictable. I loved when they were trying to think up the name of the dragon and in the background you hear Teal'c say "Puff!", that was hysterical.

Atlantis was ok, but I was hoping for something a little bigger and better. First off, O'Neill not being part of the fun more than the swimming stuff was a bummer. Second, there just wasn't enough action or adventure this time around, it was too much about getting to the final point as quickly and cleanly as possible. Finally, they really cheaped out by flashing back like a DVR to the cheat scene. And this ep proved that they're right in sending Weir into the background, she added nothing to this ep.

I have no idea what state the Replicators left Atlantis in, they fixed the blown-up gate room ridiculously fast so they probably did leave those ZPMs, but how out-there would that be?

pbarnard
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
The ZPM question was answered. They did leave all 3 behind but 2 are going back to the Milky Way. The 3rd will remain in Atlantis to power the shields.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Last night's SG1 felt like they skipped over an episode, not much dealing with Daniel's disappearance and the new machine felt like it came out of nowhere. I thought the final solution was ludicrous, but the rest worked pretty well I guess.

Atlantis was alright, but it was so painfully obvious that it was a whalefish voice each time, and the explanations there were pretty ridiculous about why the holograms were popping up and how the ZPM would power the shields on the Daedalus. Stealing 2 of the ZPMs for Earth was almost too ridiculous for words - I could see the Antarctic outpost maybe, although they could just gate it over to the SGC if it was needed, but the Odyssey was way over the top.

Phantom-like Menace
04-21-2007, 11:47 PM
It's funny you mention that it feels like they missed an episode. My best friend said the same.

However, since I actually did miss an episode, what the hell happened to Daniel?

pbarnard
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
He started building Merlin's weapon, but was captured by Adriana while holding out to help the others escape. In a relatively touching moment Cam explains to Vala that she's part of the team now because it is really about letting the other ones sacrifice themselves.

pbarnard
04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Something's been bugging me about the upcoming SG-1 preview.

Conceding that our own biases and determine our perception, it sounds in the voice over like "Amanda is trapped in an alternate reality". Shouldn't it be Sam or Samantha? I mean I know it's Amanda, Tapping the actress, that is. But the character is Samantha Carter.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 10:11 PM
ABSOLUTELY they said "Amanda", I replayed it 3 times to be sure, there was NO question. My guess is whomever on the production staff wrote the script for the VO screwed up and confused the actress' first name with the character's.

BTW, was anybody else annoyed at the stupidity of leaving *only* SG-1 and a case of guns to defend the village if Merlin's defense machine didn't work? Not just to save the people there, but to keep the machine from falling into the Ori's hands.

pbarnard
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
C4. Mitchell was going to do was blow it up. C4 solves all problems, except on Atlantis where it seems all, well seems there is going to be a merger or several plot devices used previously.

JediTricks
04-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Look how well that C4 thing worked out, Sam wouldn't even let him use it. :p

pbarnard
04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Well I'm on board that last friday's SG-1 (4/27) should've aired story line wise before the second episode of the season (4/20).

Atlantis had a nice rewarding ending to the Goya story line. The whole rest could've been done without. That leaves the lamer of enemies gone and now onto the serious ones.

pbarnard
05-05-2007, 11:46 AM
SG-1 was interesting in they won but they lost, maybe sort of way. By killing the Ori, maybe, they unleashed their armies to wreak havoc, at least unitl they can get Adriana who can't ascend due to the Ancients being still present.

Atlantis, Rodney as a super hero. Funny humor episode that sets up some of the spoilers I've seen nicely.

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I disliked the SG1 episode, Daniel's plan was far too risky and had no backups at all, it didn't feel realistic to expect that to happen. Then we get that "well, nothing worked right" ending that I don't think paid off in the slightest so they had to tack exposition on explaining that the weapon may have worked - if that's the case, how do the Priors still have their powers? It was nice to have Jack back though, his banter with Daniel was great.

Atlantis was cute but I thought it highlighted some of the qualities where it comes up short from SG1, specifically the lack of a larger sense of issue to it, there's no real thought to the ascension nor what it could mean for Rodney to become an ascended being even if briefly, it was just science-science-science even as Wier mouthed platitudes to the contrary. Worse still, if they needed him in a coma-like state, why not just drug him? And the end answer was A) ripped from a bad Star Trek: TNG episode (stupid Dr Pulaski gets de-aged and purified by the same ridiculous trick); and B) totally unnecessary since Rodney we later learn was in the zone to ascend so he could have gone through his plan anyway. That's not to say I didn't like the episode, I especially liked Rodney healing Ronon's scars, it was an entertaining "light" episode.

pbarnard
05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
if that's the case, how do the Priors still have their powers? It was nice to have Jack back though, his banter with Daniel was great.

The only power we know them to still have is the genotype necessary to continue operating the ship. We haven't seen anything about their powers.

pbarnard
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
SG-1 Season 10 now available for pre-order on DVD, ships in July. No word on season 3 for Atlantis considering how split up they've made the show in the US because half of season 4 is already shot, and they've been sitting on season 3 for about 6 months before airing.