PDA

View Full Version : Where's a good place to get vintage/repro weapons?

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2001, 04:16 PM
I recently started collecting vintage stuff and have a few figures sans weapons and accessories. In my limited experience, ebay seems to have either very few lots with groups of accessories or people selling stuff like the Jawa blaster for $5.

Does anyone know of a good on-line or mail-away retailer that sells vintage or repro vintage accessories?

evenflow
08-22-2001, 05:05 PM
I would say Brian's Toys is the best bet.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2001, 06:12 PM
My experience with then has been OK, but they charge an arm and a leg. Anyone else with somewhat reasonable prices?

GNT
08-25-2001, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Anyone else with somewhat reasonable prices?

You could try Ebay or go to a local fair and see if they have them?

darth chuck
08-26-2001, 10:51 PM
My local comics shop sells loose vintage figs and weapons. Since he hasn't a clue as to which weapon goes to each fig, he sells vintage weapons for $2 each and repros for $1 each. Not sure where he gets the repros, but he always has a selection.

Keep checking comics/collectors shops.

JEDIpartner
08-27-2001, 11:57 AM
Vintage weapons...

From my personal collection, I noticed (many years ago) that the original ANH figures had black guns made of a softer plastic. The ESB figure came with weapons that were an odd bluish/black colour. The only one that seemed to escape this bluish/black thing were the one with new weapons sculpts (bounty hunters, Hoth soldiers and those which were new additions to the line). The ones that were re-used (Stormie rifles, DL-44 blasters) came in the bluish/black. This was also repeated for the ROTJ figures. If you want to check if you have an original weapon, use that as a starting point.

darth chuck
08-27-2001, 10:04 PM
True. Also, the vintage weapons feel like a "softer" grade of plastic than the repros. The repros feel "harder" and the detail is much better on my repros than it was on my vintage weapons.

Fixer
08-28-2001, 10:35 AM
Yeah, the repros are definitely made of a harder plastic - they make sort of a tinkling sound when dropped on a hard surface. There was another place besides Brian's Toys that used to carry repro weapons, vinyl capes and R2/R5 stickers, but the name escapes me. I'll have to dig through my old issues of Lee's AFN tonight and see if I can come up with it.

Lobito
09-13-2001, 04:29 PM
Try a SW convention or a comic book con, (they have lots of vintage figures with their guns and all).

Check out the con's schedule.